Why do they call it solid state drive? I know it's a solid. Is it liquid or gas...

Why do they call it solid state drive? I know it's a solid. Is it liquid or gas? There are only three states of matter to choose from, so we don't need to specify when something's a solid.

Attached: index.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose–Einstein_condensate
youtube.com/watch?v=shdLjIkRaS8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_of_matter
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

there are 5 states of matter, not 3. idiot

solid, liquid, gas, plasma and what?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose–Einstein_condensate

Poopy butt

Not until they start making liquid state drive

youtube.com/watch?v=shdLjIkRaS8

>meme matter state
noice

If you're including non-classical states, there are far more than 5.

What about Fermionic matter, degenerate matter states, superfluids, etc?

there are no moving parts thats why

It's the same "solid-state" that defines "solid-state physics". Essentially, each bit is stored using flash memory, which is composed of floating-gate transistors that store electrons using elements of quantum physics like quantum tunnelling.

Solid-state physics is just the branch of physics that focuses on solids. Really interesting stuff; I took a course on it in University.

as of 2016 or something it's one of the 5 states of matter now. none of your meme states you want included are, currently.
deal with it.

As of 2018 there are something like a dozen known states of matter, and even more hypothetical states. Selectively including the Bose-Einstein condensate while omitting the rest is pointless and inaccurate.

Attached: average_reddit_user.png (707x413, 276K)

>The term "solid state" became popular in the beginning of the semiconductor era in the 1960s to distinguish this new technology based on the transistor, in which the electronic action of devices occurred in a solid state, from previous electronic equipment that used vacuum tubes, in which the electronic action occurred in a gaseous state.
And the term stuck around and evolved to basically mean 'no moving parts'
Not fuckin rocket science, just basics of language

What's the point of posting that? It just shows that you can't come up with a counterargument.

Why didn't they call it static state drive or something?

there are much more than that:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_of_matter
Me I'm waiting for neutron degenerate matter hard drives.

There are 4 states of matter shit for brains. Welcome to 20 years ago.
Plasma is in the big boy gang since, like, 19...
Forever.

Attached: Laurie Bembenek.jpg (446x600, 26K)

It's solid state technology, the alternative being mechanical/moving.
A transistor is solid state technology. A moving platter is mechanical.

The first two aren't phases of matter, strictly speaking, and belong in the realm of high-energy physics. The last one isn't a phase either, but a property of certain fluids.

HDD's require the presence of gas or possibly liquid to use the Bernoulli effect, dingus