What's the best DE/WM?

What's the best DE/WM?

Attached: gnome theme.jpg (984x696, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lubuntu.me/this-week-in-lubuntu-development-5/
youtube.com/watch?v=ChsT-y7Yvkk
youtube.com/watch?v=Ohuqp5AJqaM
vsynctester.com/
my.mixtape.moe/mtkuob.MOV
dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3-28-review.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

gentoo

none, they all suck. at least tty has a smoother, lower latency typing experience

This pic made me want to come back to Gnome.

Why can't freetards make 1:1 copies of Windows themea? They always look off

KDE Plasma for a modern look, XFCE (with GTK2) if you want to rice it for pre-XP windows look or mid-90's *nix

Attached: Screenshot_20180616_024503.png (1920x1080, 1.28M)

Attached: windows-10-logo.jpg (1595x869, 46K)

now please get out

Attached: 1520751357941.png (1366x768, 368K)

Windows 7

KDE > Xfce > everything else

what does this mean

XP is superior

Attached: Ji2Mpne7Fi0.jpg (1280x1024, 538K)

why not Lubuntu?

Attached: shot_desktop-1024x819-2-1024x819.png (1024x819, 215K)

no u

Attached: 1999-04-18.lynxman.jpg (1280x1024, 321K)

For me it's i3
I've tried out a bunch of other wm/des (stumpwm, bspwm, wmii, kde, unity, lxde, gnome ...) and I always go back to i3.
The simplicity, the full use of the keyboard, the power of it. Not to mention light enough on resources that it can be used on basically any machine.

Attached: 5deb500d40d6fc3bde47fa06cf6074610b5dde073735d20e95fa4f27b40c596e.png (300x250, 28K)

rio

ui inconsistency
old vista era icons everywhere, old vista applications mixed with new ugly UWP ones
cute

Attached: 7CFGXdH.jpg (1101x800, 203K)

The best one: the one I'm using
The worst one: the one you're using

UI is hacked together with a bunch of inconsistent items. It's designers are lazy and incompetent.

>XP is superior
Guess u are right there

XMonad. It just works, it's extensible and there's a nice statusbar for it (taffybar).

then why you said windows 7 instead of xp?

privet, zephy

vista's icons are fucking good tho

there's no reason to ever change them

[spoiler]for real faggot, in windows xp you could see win98 icons. this is nothing new

It means you don't have autism, good job user you passed.

Both of those windows in that screen shot are no longer there in Windows 10 1803

My favorite is openbox with some panel like tint2.
Once I realized how easy it to customize the menu with obmenu and have stuff like a panel and walloper program start with it is it's been my favorite WM.
Anytime I use anything else I keep right clicking expecting what I want to be right there instead of having to dick around looking for shit in start and drop down menus.

Attached: openbox_desktop.jpg (1440x900, 243K)

kto eto

Attached: photo_2018-06-12_16-40-16.jpg (304x333, 25K)

пpиcядeшь нa кoлeнoчки?

very basic even by light weight standards

i3 - not just a meme
>titling windows
>easy to customize

XFCE - Ol' reliable

>DE
KDE
>WM
openbox

I think LXQt is at a point where I wouldn't bother installing LXDE anymore.

on a laptop, i3 is hands down the best
uses almost no resources
best use of screen space (with 0px border)
no need to use a mouse

on a desktop, I prefer kde/plasma tho

Attached: 1521999183252.jpg (1138x1137, 159K)

i think they're moving to lxqt next on next lts version but don't quote me on that.

Yes:
lubuntu.me/this-week-in-lubuntu-development-5/

im assuming they think at some point "im going to improve upon this" also i imagine there are limitations with gtk/qt as far as window elements go which are all different from how windows handles them (for the worse)

i think xfce4 is the best by the way. very functional, modular, lots of transparent gui options, lightweight

>capital S on start menu
this is FAKE not xp. likely windows 7 with "classic" theme

Openbox, if you care about watching 60 fps videos outside of Kodi
i3 if you are a "developer"
xfce4 or mate, if you only care about watching 30 fps videos outside of Kodi
literally anything else if you don't like watching videos
If you have money, then Windows is a better choice than anything else.

what is this about 60/30 fps you are referring to?

60 fps = 60 frames per second
30 fps = 30 frames per second

KDE if your PC is from this decade and XFCE if it isn't

what im asking is why would they be different? they should both run at monitor refresh rate since both use xorg and that uses vsync by default. as for wayland i doubt this is any different at all either

What the heck are you talking about?

its because the x server is shit, and can't communicate with the compositor that is built into web browsers and video players
if your GUI has to draw ANYTHING in addition to the active window (that is playing a video), then you WILL get a lot of judder, which is annoying af with 60 fps videos.

That's a lot of broscience, impressive. You probably shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about, dude.

are you sure this isn't a hardware/driver issue? running xfce4 with it's default compositor and xorg i get 60 fps in a 60fps youtube upload (buck bunny being my test). i also dont notice any stutters while dragging around windows and doing a lot of stuff as opposed to while on windows. my hardware is intel i7 870 and ati radeon hd 5870 and on the opensource ati drivers. i definitely get worse fps in videogames but as for compositing xfce4 is superior for me

you should try a better test
and I have tried it on open source intel drivers, open source nvidia drivers, and closed source nvidia drivers, they all show the exact same judder issues whenever I use a DE that draws more stuff on the screen

what is wrong with my test? i would be able to tell the difference between 30 fps and 60. i wouldn't notice fps drops of 1 or 2 frames but even if that were the case that is far from 30 fps. regardless my point is i dont think that is wm/de dependent and is entirely related to performance. sure some wm are lighter weight and therefore worse hardware will run it better if that is your point but it seems entirely possible to run at the very least xfce4 at 60 fps, and from what i recall of kde5 and even unity i dont remember the desktops feeling anything far from smooth

youtube.com/watch?v=ChsT-y7Yvkk
if this video really did output only 30 fps i wouldn't be able to see a difference between the two but 60 fps is clearly smoother

youtube.com/watch?v=Ohuqp5AJqaM
try this test in 60 fps
you will notice the judder if you are using xfce, or mate, with the taskbars, or docks active

>best de's
xfce
lxde
>best wm's
xfwm4
openbox
i3-gaps

glad i use windows

i do see stutters, ill try openbox and see if i still get stutters

im on windows 7 right now. both xfce4 and openbox/compton performed the same at 1080p. windows 7 cannot even handle it at 1080p and "stutters" all the same on 720p. all of this assuming of course, by stuttering, you were referring to tearing. they all play back smooth despite the tearing except for windows 7 struggling at higher resolutions

back to xubuntu

Attached: 657769785.jpg (419x610, 69K)

t. X fag

what does that even mean? i tried all three because i could have benefited from knowing myself. when is the last time youve tried anything other than openbox (what even compositor do you use) and what is your hardware?

i5-6200U, 8 gb ddr4, ssd, 1920x1080 resolution, 60 hz
I've tried Windows 10, Windows 7,
(with linux, i used both chromium, and firefox, with hardware acceleration force enabled, but firefox is always more juddery)
Arch + modesetting + Openbox + compton
Arch + xf86-video-intel + Openbox + tearfree
Arch + xf86-video-intel + Openbox + triplebuffer
Arch + xfce4 - software compositor + tearfree
Arch + xfce4 - software compositor + triplebuffer
Arch + xfce4 + software compositor
ditto with mate
Arch + modesetting + i3 + compton
Arch + xf86-video-intel + i3 + tearfree
Arch + xf86-video-intel + i3 + triplebuffer
Linux mint with cinnamon, and mate
Every flavor of ubuntu, fedora with default settings, debian with default settings, elementary OS, etc
Every experiment i've run with Openbox + chromium (maximized window) gets reasonable 60 fps video playback results

but, as soon as I resize the chromium window to be smaller, or if I pick i3, with its status bar, or if I pick xfce4, with its panels, or mate, with its panels, I get judder

No stutter on KDE

lol

Probably because KDE has a proper compositor instead of a hackjob like compton

It's true though. No dropped frames on my 7 year old sandybridge laptop

KDE is literally garbage, its somehow worse than gnome3

You're just jealous because i get 60fps and your shitty wm written by a basement dweller doesn't

you don't get 60 fps, and you will NEVER, unless you get on the Openbox train

>Openbox
HAHAHAHAHA

i3wm. Not because it's so great, but because it doesn't get in my face and ricing is for children

ive only ever tried with firefox so that might be the link. still though 60 fps videos are noticably smoother than 30 fps so i am sure on my end despite the tearing it is running at 60 fps. to prove this i have opened glxgears in terminal, and it is outputting 60 fps

>low resource usage
>high customizability
>lots of options

nice try faggot

Is there any way to make i3 gaps look like bspwm?

As in have exactly the same gap between every window and the borders of the screen? In all the screenshots I've seen, those are different, which I really don't like.

try vsynctester.com/
if you see the gray text on the right side of the screen turn red, or cyan, then it means a judder happened (or that you didn't configure your vsync)
the only two ways to pass the test are with Windows, or Openbox

>As in have exactly the same gap between every window and the borders of the screen?
Set the outer gap to 0.

>The number of ads you see won't change, but they may be less relevant to you.

Attached: privacy-3.-jpg-1024x826.jpg (1024x826, 90K)

The one you haven't tried yet.

>Set the outer gap to 0.
And the border from the edge of the s seen would be the same as between any windows? Thanks!

Works on my bspwm.

it remained flashing gray up until the point i pressed screenshot, where is the test? am i supposed to keep this running for so long?

>And the border from the edge of the s seen would be the same as between any windows?
Yes. The inner gap gets added everywhere. The outer gap gets added on top of that only on the screen edges.

it was a test
and it proves that you suck microsoft's balls

>the only two ways to pass the test are with Windows, or Openbox
Only if you're as dumb as a brick

nigger you are the one who says this test is representative of something while also claiming it is false when xfce4 "passes" it

xfce4 can't pass it
I've run the test 5 times
no dice
it doesn't pass it
most DEs don't pass
I've completely forgotten about two contenders than can pass the test: hackintoshs, and cloudready (chrome OS, but with enough driver support to work on most PCs)
chrome OS, currently, has the best DE in the linux world (in terms of 60 fps video playback), but only because Google replaced X with its own technology

KDE of course.

Attached: Screenshot_20180617_135626.png (1920x1080, 495K)

so the conclusion we can draw is that since it werks on my machine and not on yours it is likely an isolated problem. as this page says if it stays gray, which it does, it isn't juddering

ratpoison : fast,simple,easy to configure & ugly
what else do u need ?

not an isolated problem, it fails the test on my macbook pro, and it fails with my acer laptop

there is a limit and we have reached it, i am locking this thread

Attached: 43578557.jpg (489x450, 36K)

Get a proper DE like KDE. Runs perfectly, with Firefox even.
my.mixtape.moe/mtkuob.MOV

I'd rather use react OS, than set up any linux distro with KDE
KDE is the most janky, and juddery DE I have ever used

The video proves you wrong, but I guess you're just shitposting at this point

>my.mixtape.moe/mtkuob.MOV
what the fuck are you talking about
it was literally cyan, for, like 3 seconds
not only that, the clip is only 19 seconds, so the test could have easially shown judder if you let it run for several minutes

Thanks for confirming that you have no clue what you're talking about

thanks for confirming that you use windows

Who doesn't use windows? How would I be able to look outside?

>outside
does that sound like FOSS to you?

>What's the best DE/WM?
This is subjective at best, baiting at worst.

Best for what? Identify what you're going to do with that machine the most, list out all of the features you feel would make your workflow easier or more efficient, then select the DE or WM with the most of those features.

I reinstalled Arch yesterday (new mobo, EFI entry for GRUB didn't show up) and decided to go with KDE instead of GNOME. Pleasantly surprised at how well it works. Wayland seems to not work, but that might be my fault.

Gnome 3.28 hit piece: dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3-28-review.html
Gnome users are mad.

> he uses a GUI

>: (

Attached: havingagui.jpg (2592x1944, 955K)

>buying a Jow Forums pass