Farewell Jow Forums

Farewell Jow Forums

I've been into tech since 2007. been tinkering with linux and programing since at least 2010. I've seen the entire game change. Laptops are deader than dead and desktop computers are only used by hardcore gamers. In other words actual computers are becoming a niche market with an ever declining userbase. Devices like the iPad and smarphone now dominate the consumer market. Every app you can dream of now exists. So what's the point in programing? or even learning linux skills? i mean unless it's your job why bother? I myself own an iPad and a smartphone i can use either one to post here or do pretty much anything i can on my desktop with the exception of writing code but like i said above why bother? no one is using traditional computers anymore so no one will use anything i make to run on such hardware. So what is the actual point of the computer at this point? besides games. the average joe does not need to own one. So why bother posting here obsessing over desktop hardware and "le sekrit encryption programs"? don't you guys see this shit is fucking dead? We are in a completely new paradigm now. Computing has done full circle. We are heading back to the shared mainframe model except now the mainframe is just called the cloud and people use dumb terminals like the smartphone and iPad to access the services provided by the cloud.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

laptopmag.com/articles/laptops-too-expensive
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're a good damned dumbfuck

Fuck off apple shill

This board is the official tech support forum for /v/.

>I've been into tech since 2007
>I've seen the entire game change

Holy shit, I could feel my IQ drop the more I read. Fucking kys, I think you dropped my IQ to room temperature.

Attached: 15d.gif (500x382, 125K)

cringe

Not an argument.

An argument isn't needed. He's just wrong and has the most unnuanced opinion I've seen here

A.) You're fucked up.
B.) You talk like a fag.
C.) Your shit's all retarded.

>Computing has done full circle. We are heading back to the shared mainframe model except now the mainframe is just called the cloud and people use dumb terminals like the smartphone and iPad to access the services provided by the cloud.
You are correct about this and it is depressing as fuck. But that's only for normies you only use it for media consumption and facebooking.

However, I doubt you can really do much serious work on tablets or smartphones. That requires a traditional keyboard and mouse, with perhaps of touch-enabled monitor at the very most.

>Why learn

Gee I dunno, there are openings at my job for red hat guys at twice my salary...

That work you are referring to has no more meaning when 90% of the population is on a freaking phone...

This blog is shit. How do I unsubscribe?

How the fuck did someone so retarded manage to create a thread here?

The future we are heading towards is very different than the tech world we have been living in the past 20 years. consumers want portable lightweight devices. in order for these devices to become seemless (which is the ultimate goal) you have to do all the processing in the cloud. the device itself just becomes a mere terminal. If you want blade runner this is what has to happen. Sorry.

Attached: leto.0.jpg (1200x800, 54K)

>That work you are referring to has no more meaning when 90% of the population is on a freaking phone...

I'm talking about writing and editing long documents, the editing and manipulation of images, audio and video, etc.

And even the cloud-mobile world, somebody still needs to make and maintain the phone apps and the cloud, and only the traditional keyboard/mouse/monitor can really do that.

That's industry specific stuff. the consumer has no further use for any of that.

But a fact. The fact is that you're retarded.

good riddance

They just finished the final details of 5G. once it's rolled out in the next couple of years it will provide the bandwidth needed for generation of streaming. after that's done you will see devices get thinner and become almost featureless with the exception of cameras and network hardware. They will have very small basic low powered cpu's. All the heavy lifting will be done in the cloud. Cap this post. Hell. Cap this whole thread. Just wait and see.

>So what's the point in programing? or even learning linux skills?

well, some people like to have this thing called 'a job'.

>i mean unless it's your job why bother?
How did you get a job being fucking illiterate?

This is fucking bait and anyone responding without a sage is a fucking summerfag

k sorry, I haven't read the entire bait.
But honestly this is still a pretty bad argument.

>why bother with x if it's not your job
You can say that about almost anything, how is that a problem? If you can't find a point in learning a skill, then simply don't.

*Snap*

Yup

do you, you know, have a job, and use a computer at work, and all that wagecuck jazz?

>That's industry specific stuff. the consumer has no further use for any of that.
Right, but if you want do industry stuff, the PC form is the way to go. That's reason enough to know something about computing beyond being a mobile drone.

And some people do stuff like that, just because. And the PC will continue to meet that need.

It's a labor of love. And I might I mention those apps need programmers.
Consider the following:
laptopmag.com/articles/laptops-too-expensive
What people really want are cheap laptops and desktops, and tablets satisfy that well because they aren't looking for much other than web browsing and office software. Both of which are available on low cost tablets (and on their phones). And we haven't even considered the commercial market, which is fucking huge, and glued forever to the desktop. It is hardly niche as it is so ubiquitous and consumers who work on a desktop will come home and want the same capabilities in a laptop.

Attached: forecast-20102022.png (1116x556, 46K)

all software sucks
most devices and hardware suck
some people say its "good enough"
i dont, hence why i program and advocate for better hardware

The bastards here won’t accept it.

>been tinkering with Linux
Good riddance. Fuck off and don't let the door hit you in your fucking ass on the way to the unemployment office.

>didn't bother reading any more of your shit

>computing is advancing to become simpler and less convoluted/fragmented and allows consumers to do more of the things they actually care about doing from anywhere they want, and this makes me upset because....

wait why?

Attached: 4e1.png (361x355, 149K)

Why was she lying down like this? what a fucking slut

Attached: screennncap.png (1995x837, 1.75M)

>she
Did you just assumed it's gender!?
You motherfucker!

shrekcringefolder.png

>t. 20 year old dumbass

>What’s a computer?

kek

user, this individual is "ono". It's a literally genderless pronoun.
Please, do not assume genders anymore.
It's bigotry.

Sta jedes govna od ranog jutra

Izvinytie, nu ja neponimaju po ruskij.

Ain't that the truth.

This is your brain on Apples.

Attached: 1525808012685.jpg (577x570, 63K)

Mi ovde pricamo srpski, i sta se izvinjavas

>Computing has done full circle. We are heading back to the shared mainframe model
I've been thinking that for a while now, except it seems worse than it ever was. We've given up control over our data, we store them on some online service that can only be accessed through some proprietary "app". Services you can lose access to without a moments notice. Nobody seems to care about their data anymore. Applications have become a lot worse too, they seems to have lost features, but became a lot harder to use at the same time. Older software seems a lot simpler, and a lot easier to use. Computers used to be simple and easy to understand. Computers and software a human mind could understand. Now they seem to be made for robots.

I just now tested discord, the first thing it does is transfer several MB of data. It sends and receives more data in seconds than I ever did with my IRC client back during the height of IRC in an entire day, maybe even a week. I try to mention IRC to people still, but they always cry about how hard it is, that discord is so much easier. How hard is it really to connect to an agreed upon IRC server and join a specific server. Last night I watched someone spend far too long trying to figure out access rights for an info channel on their discord session.

I feel like I fell for all this bullshit back in 2007, I joined steam, I paid several hundred dollars to rent games, but now I sit here thinking it was all a huge mistake, that I should go through the process of having my steam account deleted, and become some kind of computing luddite. I fear in doing so, I'll never ever have a decent income and never have a decent life. I could work as a trucker, but how long does it take for all kinds of manual labor like that to become fully automated. I don't just want to give up.

>it's
that's certainly a better way to describe him

TL;DR lol

>*phonePosters*

Trucking will only ever be partially automated beceause last mile delivery requires navigating in cities and tight residential streets. The only good thing about blue collar jobs is you dont have to go into massive amounts of uni debt to get them. The bad thing is your gonna work your ass off because unskilled labor is constantly dredging the bottom of the barrel for the guy that will work the longest and cheapest.

hmmmmmmm....