Why has laptop design stopped evolving?

Why has laptop design stopped evolving?

Why does nearly every laptop released over the past 10 years look like a Macbook Air?

Attached: laptops.jpg (661x1774, 200K)

Other urls found in this thread:

keychatter.com/2015/03/04/ergonomic-mechanical-keyboards-a-primer-and-roundup/),
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he thinks luggables are the same as laptops
HAHAHAHA

fingers crossed that the A285 isn't a piece of shit

What about the MS Surface and similar.they differ in design a hell of a lot.
Ever seen the grey toshibas, they are very different to the Surfaces.
There's been a lot of design variation while people figure out how the tablet/laptop merge is working out

Out of my way, pleb

Attached: 3-in-1.jpg (640x360, 32K)

Attached: 9142_0 New Microsoft Surface Book 2 13.5 dGPU detached_2000.png (2000x2000, 494K)

This cannot continue.

*blocks your path

Attached: images (2).jpg (287x175, 8K)

Attached: acerr7-lead.jpg (619x413, 47K)

Conceptually, not much has changed since 1988. We've started to reach peak portability.

Attached: when-you-reach-max-level-you-stop-leveling-sean-connery-in-1989-2009-comparison.jpg (735x645, 117K)

I just want a thin and light with 3:2 aspect ratio, high resolution, and ryzen 2400g that works well with linux

The future!

Attached: twingoooooo.jpg (2000x3000, 1.04M)

My surface book disagrees

Attached: IMG_20180616_220018-01-1470x921.jpg (1470x921, 444K)

nice controller nigger lmao

>the witcher
opinion discarded

Noice Xbox conrroller, bruh. Pass me a Bud Lite and fire up the football game

stop posting this trash in every thread you cunt

Battlestations thread: reddit edition

Fucking techtubers reviewing close-keyboard designs:

>HURR, WHY IS THE BOTTOM OF THE LAPTOP NOT FORCING ME TO RAISE MY ENTIRE ARM TO PREVENT IT HURTING MY WRIST?
No wonder laptops are 99% wedges and slippy aluminium these days, the target audience and reviewers are retarded.

This is the form factor future Apple refuses to copy

You may be joking, but a part of me feels like the keyboard should die. Nothing better exists yet, tho.

Microsoft copied the laptop from Xerox

>2 in 1 is a laptop
get out

>why hasn't laptop design changed?
>anything different isn't a laptop
piece of shit

You autist or smth? Whenever you have to aim a firearm in a 3-dimensional space, keyboard and mouse are superior. For games like the Witcher, controller can work just as well or better.Right tool for the right job.

>add a keyboard attachment to a fucking tablet
>it's a laptop now guise

Attached: 1507081530789.png (488x463, 28K)

these are fucking disgusting irl

Why has macbook design stopped evolving?

Why does every macbook released over the past 10 years look like an Acer?

Attached: 1529103036055.jpg (1200x800, 244K)

This thread's about laptops, get that tablet out of here.

>Why has laptop design stopped evolving?
Because the design is now very close to optimal for the use cases, available construction materials, and cost

This is the expected outcome for all technology products. The form and function becomes perfected over time, after which point all products on the market will be functionally equivalent and fulfill the average user's requirements, and so competition becomes about advertising and branding. Think watches or cars

I disagree, the surface book is a great machine.

woah fuck

Attached: mxp.jpg (800x451, 178K)

The only thing that could really replace it is something that practically reads your fucking mind, dumb 18 year old boomer

That's right. Do you have an argument against adding laptop features to create a laptop or are you going to continue wojak posting like a retard?

>Do you have an argument against adding laptop features to create a laptop
That's a way to create a frankenstein, not to make a laptop. Hook up a keyboard to your smartphone. Would you consider that to be a laptop?

Cute

It would be more apparent if you used a real 2018 laptop like an XPS 13 instead of a laptop that happens to be sold in 2018.

Hey I know you from telegram

Once you reach the top, you just stop.

Except XPS 13 looks way better than that when you put them near each other so his arguement wouldn't be as convincing.

can't get any thinner...
I do wish laptops had pcie slots on the side though

3.5mm audio jacks are the reason laptops are so thick.

Attached: 1515387663529.jpg (936x527, 32K)

fuck that's nice.
anyone know if it can run linux without complaint?

good. would suck balls to be forced into using usb headphones.

if it ain't broke don't fix it

Just use bluetooth.

Yeah but it won't give you the high DPI you're paying for that way, without shit always being broken and ugly

>have a giant gap between the display and keyboard
>still have a fucking horrible little chicklet keyboard
Somebody had just one job.

Attached: 1528767182880.jpg (613x531, 36K)

Gnome and KDE do not have this problem.

Your idea is bullshit IMO. Until now nothing beats physical buttons in terms of latency. You need to have better latency in your touch gizmos before you can think you can replace a keyboard

go fuck yourself shrekfucker

Because you're looking at ultrabooks, which are specifically designed to be as unusable as macbooks. Try looking for laptops instead.

> how dare you like enjoyable, popular games
Are you just a contrarian?

> another shit accessory that needs charging.
no thx. I've got good quality headphones that I've had for a decade, would never happen with BT.

Unless you're talking about IEMs(which are and have always been disposable) you can charge the headphones while listening to them. It's really not a big deal to plug them in every few days. Even in the worst case scenario of the battery being absolutely shot and replacements not being available you now just have wired headphones.

sorry for not being clear: the battery in the BT would be toast within a few years. My beyers and sennheisers have been with me for 9 and 17 years respectively -- well exceeding the life cycle of rechargable batts.
Maybe I'm a cheap jew, but I'm not ready to give up on my nice headphones and prefer 3.5mm.

Attached: merchant.gif (504x566, 12K)

Like I said though, even if you couldn't replace it you just have to plug them in, effective downgrading to what you're already using. But since you can replace the battery I'd say $15 every 4-8 years is an acceptable price for not having to deal with being tethered to a device.

Yes

Just ordered the HP Spectre x360 with the Intel G series. Did I make a mistake?

>Intel

>AMD mobile
I'm spitting on the ground

I'd go with the XPS 15 2-in-1 over it personally because >numpad on a laptop
but the x360 seems like a great machine overall. Mobile Vega is actually good for the wattage.

The XPS 15 2-in-1 was literally no joke $700 more for the same specs.

I tried configuring 16GB, 4k screen, and 512GB SSD and it was like 2350 + 250 for extended warranty. And that was with the 10% off promo they have now. It's fucking unbelievable how much Dell's charging. Given, I did get a little extra off with HP thanks to the employer partnership thing my employer has, but even then it was a little over $100 off.

Sorry, I mean it was still $700 off with the 10% discount. 2600 is the base price with no discount. The HP was like 1800 after tax

You could probably alleviate that by buying your own SSD since that's upgradeable. But yeah the price difference really is something, probably because it's them experimenting with things like that thermal material and new keyboard.

I've read more than a few people saying the Dell's maglev keyboard is awful, just because of how shallow it is. I guess it really depends on person to person but it's 0.7mm, so I think shallower than a mouse click. And I doubt the GORE insulation really costs $700. I've also heard people complain that thanks to the new insulation on both the convertible and the 9570 XPS 15 you can't add thermal pads to cool down the VRMs by using the chassis as a heatsink.

it seems OP tried to pull a fast one

he implied this was evolution

Attached: implyingthisisevolution.jpg (661x1774, 329K)

The reviews I saw for it compared it to the new macbook keyboard which in my experience feels great, when it works that is.

Huh, then maybe it is nice.

Dell actually got it right, the Dell latitude 12 something

I initially bought this just for the tablet as it's 12.5"~ has pen support, and slim bezels it's the size and weight of 10" tablet (about same size as my old surface pro 2 and much lighter)

got it $600 dell refurbished so why not, later found keyboard for $60 on ebay, I was skeptical at first, having used the surface pro 2 it's just not the same as a laptop

But the keyboard is awesome, it's rigid so you can hold it like laptop and doesn't flop back, and you can tilt it back quite considerably without tipping over. Keys travels deep, from my experience only thinkpads have better keyboards, the keyboard also has a battery and gives you 3-4 extra hours on your laptop, It hasreplaced my older 15" laptop for work now because of the keyboard and the "Wow" factor when you undock your laptop transforms into a tablet in front of the macfags with their 0.1 micrometer travel keyboards

and before you say im a Dell shill there are some disadvantages, there's only 2 usb C (thunderbolt 3 at least) ports, and none on the keyboard, and with the keyboard it weights about the same as a normal 2-in-1 laptop

so yes if you don't plan on using it on tablet mode detached from the keyboard often like me then get a 2-in-1 laptop, same weight with more ports

Attached: dell laptop tablet thingy.jpg (800x800, 181K)

It requires fewer materials, making it cheap, plus it makes it harder for anyone, even professionals to service them, so if anything goes wrong, the owner pays for a new one.

wtf I hate 3.5mm audio jacks now

>legs are permanently scarred from overheating laptop

A laptop is just a tablet with the parts spread out.

>2018
>Being this edgy

>IEMs(which are and have always been disposable

Ignorant normalfag detected

Attached: 1489421658644.png (653x726, 84K)

Don't fix what isn't broken

But it is broken, something went terribly wrong in the 00s.

>Why does nearly every laptop released over the past 10 years look like a Macbook Air?

Why does nearly every electric guitar released over the past ten years look like a tele, strat or sg?

>Why has laptop design stopped evolving?
No it's just Macbook , which hasn't evolved a bit, because in past apple was ruled by Steve Jobs and now is lead by even worse person, I mean Cook.

Attached: dell-inspiron-13-5379_new_1_1_1.jpg (600x600, 43K)

they peaked in 1998, now they're just making things cheaper and crappier so they don't last too long
you can't sell more things if you make something so good nobody needs to replace it, you know

"Sup ladies, how's it hangin'? Having fun with your keyboards actually taking noticeable time to register a keypress?"

"What's that? My processor can't even utilize the instant key press recognition from post processing due to having to render two screens over your one?
Nah famalam, it's desktop grade. I'm basically the only computer you need dogs.
Okay, fun chat, peace out bros."

Attached: asus-project-precog-concept-open-hero.jpg (800x600, 122K)

That's a good question.

Guitar and basses have pretty much zero ergonomics, the design could be improved in almost every way.

Attached: pepe.jpg (735x551, 121K)

>tfw 3.5 jacks are better for cooling.

What exactly are you expecting?

>has a screen
>has a keyboard
>slimmed down and weighs nothing now
>has a trackpad

There isn't much they can do aside from make it look more retarded. If anything add back the fucking nipple you bastard.

Is that an onscreen keyboard? Jesus christ what a shitshow. I googled that and people are calling that the future. fml.

This could support solving the issue with laptop ergonomics. I could create my own keyboard GUI and have it be oriented in ortholinear DVORAK. There are zero advantages to QWERTY over DVORAK nor staggered over ortholinear beyond ubiquity and familiarity (keychatter.com/2015/03/04/ergonomic-mechanical-keyboards-a-primer-and-roundup/), thus they should be expelled from all laptop computers in support of ergonomic technological progress. Oh and keyboard feedback is for weirdos.
I really don't care about the tax on processing power and battery life dual-screens would cause either, the ergonomic benefits would just be too huge.

Attached: 2_20180129134828.jpg (955x637, 58K)