Could we ever travel to the nearest star to earth?

could we ever travel to the nearest star to earth?

Attached: golden_record_cover.gif (893x817, 394K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2008/08/space-limits/
youtube.com/watch?v=WjP40_TPtO0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you mean Sun? sure

Sadly, not a lot going on there.

OP thinks the sun is on earth's sky

He probably thinks earth is round too
lol

Why? There's nothing to see there.

implying

Yes, dead.

Could we? Yes, definitely. Will we? That's anybody's guess. There's a good chance we'll all just fucking nuke each other when shit hits the fan with climate change.

Why is the Japanese flag on the disc?

It's 26 light years away iirc. So almost no chance.

Could, yes, but there'd be no point.

I bet one day technology will be so far that we would be capable of travelling to Proxima Cantauri
But i'm interested what motivation will the humans of the future have to travel this far
Is it expansion of living space? Resources? Or just scientific research?

It's 4.2 light years though

Attached: sagan_love.jpg (640x638, 83K)

Probably weebs made it

realistically with enough semen we could travel anywhere as long as we keep breeding people on the ship

This.
>hurr durr, no food or water!
Breed more than enough
Eat extra
Drink your piss

God... Why haven't we sent people beyond solar system...

The video calibration signal on the disc is a circle. It means you're supposed to see a circle on the screen for properly viewing the images.

>implying we could break the firmament

Attached: 232CAB0C028B45C99C4441E6B29D3D37.gif (400x288, 1.49M)

>But i'm interested what motivation will the humans of the future have to travel this far
if we do go to another star system that probably won't be it, even though its the closest, since there aren't likely to be habitable planets there. That's a problem with multi-star systems in general, its easy for their gravitational interactions to either eject planets, or throw them in down close to one of the stars where they're just burned-up crisps.

well it does have the force of a thousand suns

+1

am I the only one who thinks whoever designed the "writing" on that disc is completely fucking mental

how is an alien supposed to understand this shit
everything on it is based on our understanding of what's around us, an alien civilization lightyears away could have an entirely different idea about everything

i get that he tried to make a universal unit based on something that's abundant in the universe but I honestly doubt the author of it put himself in a hypothetical position of the alien who received this shit and had no idea what's what
on first glance it just looks like a bunch of nonsensical diagrams
who in the fuck would figure out that the graph in bottom right is supposed to define the unit of measurement? or that the rectangle with the circle in the middle is supposed to be the "correct" image displayed when the disc is read
absolutely retarded endeavour, if we found something like this in space would we pay any attention to it or would we just dismiss it as space garbage with some alien scribings on it? probably the latter

whoever made this was too enamoured by sci-fi movies where humans find alien artifacts

You make a better disc then.

there you go

Attached: dics.jpg (1000x1000, 35K)

Take me to TRAPPIST-1

Attached: 1528611908657.jpg (833x430, 70K)

>STILL thinking that ET's havent visited and have been visiting us throughout or time
>STILL thinking that bending time is not possible with technology
we're a very young species..it won't happen in our lifetime

>hurr durr aliens too dumb to understand pictures
And through these pictures it is shown some fundamental stuff to tell aliens where we are.
t. stopped reading at
>am I the only one

Its the best they could come up with and honestly its not too bad at its job, especially if a interstellar space-faring species found it. It shows anatomy of humans, a depiction of our solar system with a map of the closest pulsar that a interstellar civilization could use as navigation. As well imbedded in the disc is sounds and music from all over earth. It presumes alot, that the aliens have eyes that use visible light and use that same frequency for audio input, etc. but it the best we can do as aliens may be so different that they are not even recognisable.

sadly, no. I think that's what makes it so majestic

Meat humans are a problem, but digitized humans should work eventually.

yes, with a very large energy source that allowed you to accelerate indefinitely at a moderate rate, maybe a fusion reactor and ion engines.

if you accelerate at a constant 9.8 m/s^2, you will reach nearly light-speed in about a year (354 days). The hard part is having a shield thick or energized enough to keep interstellar dust from vaporizing your ship.

The ship at the start of Avatar worked on that principle except it used a solar sail and a giant laser from Earth on its outbound journey. It took about 6 years to reach Proxima Centauri, and there were 12 ships, so one was leaving every 6 months.

Attached: ISV_Venture_Star_3_HD.jpg (1934x1088, 999K)

Oh also IIRC the big mirror at the front is a four-layer shield, and in-flight the front 3 layers detach themselves from the ship on thrusters and move out a hundred kilometers in front of the ship to catch space dust early.

We've been to the moon before you stupid conspiritard.

How do they expect aliens to understand this shit?

>And through these pictures it is shown some fundamental stuff to tell aliens where we are.
Fundamental to us
Not necessarily fundamental to extraterrestrials
We assume they might figure it out because we can figure it out, we're projecting our human qualities and understanding onto them
Life isn't a sci-fi movie where a bunch of amateur scientists get lucky and decipher some glowing alien artifact in a matter of hours, we can't decipher some ancient languages left behind by fellow human beings, yet we expect aliens to decipher our message, a message encoded using human understanding on a human medium, a vinyl record made of gold or whatever the material was.

Well, in the worst case scenario they'll just keep it in some alien museum.

If a life of some kind will find this and will be incapable to decrypt this.
Then these beings are more stupid than we are and therefore not worth contacting.

>Earth destroyed in nuclear hellfire.
>All historic and scientific records go with it.
>A select number of humans escape and become a rudimentary spacefaring people.
>Struggle to survive, but manage to exist for generations.
>Doomed to float into the dark abyss for thousands of years.
>Soon Earth becomes all but a mythic origin story of mankind. Few expeditions are carried out to find a new rock to call home, but all planets are equally cold and desolate.
>Eventually a strange golden record is recovered on a voyage through MACS0647-JD.
Pay me, Hollywood.

I think we as a species should act a bit more humble when space travel and ET contact is concerned
We might not be able to decrypt alien messages either, does that mean we're not worth contacting? Probably. But we'd like to be contacted anyway. And I'm fairly sure we'd also be happy to contact alien civs even if they can't decrypt our stuff.

Nope, we will die out in our own system, there isn't enough resources to launch ourself that far.
wired.com/2008/08/space-limits/

>he thinks he's creative
There's already time capsules suspended in space containing various things from our civilization. The closest one to Earth will fall from orbit eventually but not any time soon and there's a few more hanging around farther away.

>giving away our relative position in the dark forest
Whew, thanks a lot.

shut up hawking

The universe is a simulation.
We are the only lifeforms.

Attached: 1519010848669.jpg (598x714, 303K)

That's just what THEY want us to think.
Seriously though, you think space is empty with only the Earth being the exception?

yes
all we need right now is a high energy density fuel like antimatter or a way to manipulate space the way a blackhole can. Or encounter a nearby black hole to accelerate us really fast. That's all we need to build a spaceship right now

If we can pull ~light speed travel, maybe. Closest star is 4.3 LY away, but there's no guarantee it's an interesting star

that's stupid
why not just travel really fast so it doesn't take years to get somewhere

that's stupid
why not just travel really fast so it doesn't take years to get somewhere

this

>youtube.com/watch?v=WjP40_TPtO0

Proxima Centauri is 4.24 light years away.

Breakthrough Starshot can theoretically get there with 20% speed of light. So it would take ~20 years to get there.

A ship the size of a marble carrying sensors/radio/power needed to operate on its own and send information back. Would be the most reasonable solution with current understanding of science.

The challenge is finding a durable material and constructing laser arrays to shoot its energy towards the marble sized micro-spaceship.

To add to this, larger ships would require enormous amounts of energy to get there. Tinier ships would be ideal in the hopes that future of miniaturization construction/technology would allow micro/nano building.

Maybe if we get a good understanding of "human conscious uploading" data, then thats how we could send humans back/forth across the stars. Utilizing either a cloned body or maybe a robotic body. However that's still speculative at best. Near term technological breakthrough would most likely allow the Breakthrough Starshot to be quite successful at exploring the galaxy.

shouldn't this be on /sci/?

Or perhaps if we master antigrav propulsion, we might not have to send microships

Not going to happen anytime soon in our life due to us not understanding gravity itself. Whereas lasers and material science are something humans have mastered quite handily.

no.

No because stars are just points on the sky, there's no such thing as "another planet" since earth is flat, yo

You sweet sweet summer child, I bet you believe what happened at Roswell was a weather balloon crash

Attached: BenRich.jpg (711x485, 128K)

>if you accelerate at a constant 9.8 m/s^2, you will reach nearly light-speed in about a year (354 days).

Time is relative.
I assume that's 354 days as experienced on Earth?
More relevant is how long it's for the (literal) astronauts onboard, I know it's shorter but I'm too brainlet to do relative time calculations.

If alien technology is real how come the US lost the iraq war?

>lost
lol k
>using vastly superior tech against sand niggers
Why risk exposing using alien tech when all you need is tech that's currently available?

I'm going to assume you mean Alpha Centuri and not the Sun. Possibly, but not in our lifetime. For one thing they are very far away (~4.3 light years). So we would need the tech to actually hit those speeds. Even then it'd take 4 years to get there.

This also assumes the human race survives until then.

y tho

yes, we could right now if Russian hackers swapped the US military budget and NASA's budget

>when shit hits the fan with climate change.

Yeah, 1c degree increase in a 100 years is totally going to cause a nuclear war you dumfuck hippie

>City Hunter reaction image

Absolutely based

Attached: cape bro.jpg (1207x905, 100K)

Runaway greenhouse effect could turn earth into another venus aka molten hot.

The fastest we can currently travel is 200km/s so travel time to the nearest star with a high probability of a planet that might be able to sustain life, Proxima Centauri B, would be 4600 years.

Don't worry though. With the advances in quantum computing and gravitational wave detection, humans will soon be able to gain access the knowledge base of the other great societies in the universe, giving us technology that will propel is to the stars.

All they will ask in return is that we destroy the French civilisation so it doesn't infect the rest of the galaxy, a price I'm willing to pay.

Attached: son1.jpg (425x370, 19K)

We did that tho, we should deal with it. Or rather, the rich did almost all of it, we should deal with them.

Regardless, I'd rather have mankind perish by its own hand than become a locust-like space-faring parasitical civilization.

I wholeheartedly hope you die of lung cancer. Your denial of science in an attempt to appear cool and edgy is going to lead to deaths. You are willing to let people die if it means you get to drive fast cars and live in ignorance. You are a disgusting abhorrent leech.

>The fastest we can currently travel is 200km/s
retard

>The fastest we can currently travel is 200km/s
Maybe in the US.

Attached: 1523734872284.gif (203x172, 1.71M)

>where we are
That's the biggest mystery to me
Why tell where we are to some aliens to advanced that they can recover that thing from space, figure out what the fuck these stupid humans meant, and make use of the information?
Must be another attempt by the Jews to destroy the world, just to have 1 more possibility

Attached: 1455294661001.png (395x372, 8K)

yes, 354 earth days. In the future I bet people will go into hibernation and jack into a VR world to fuck around while they're in transit, the biggest concern is whether they'll be able to go there-and-back and not have the world be entirely foreign to them when they return. 12 years is just on the edge of that.

CC isn't about science, it's about fragile prognoses made by dumb hippies most of which were already proven wrong by time.

>The Golden Record also carries an hour long recording of the brainwaves of Ann Druyan.[6] During the recording of the brainwaves, Druyan thought of many topics, including Earth's history, civilizations and the problems they face, and what it was like to fall in love.
>ywn smoke weed and drop acid with Sagan and his colleagues while thinking of things to put on a record to send to interstellar space

No because of niggers. We need money for Dem programas an to fed Africa.

Fpbp

The speed doesn't matter if we could send an unmanned spaceship with AI powerful enough to maintain the ship for thousands of years. The AI could even stop every now and then to replenish resources. This would also assume we achieved near perfect hibernation.

It's much more of a reality than figuring out how to travel via a worm hole/teleport.

We, as in humanity? Yes,i can imagine in the future but it would need to be a cross-generational effort.
Anyone born in earth? No.
It would take generations to get to the nearest star outside our solar system.

Brainwaves???

And how the aliens would know that a graph with waves is from the brain of a human being and not some radio thing?

And how will they know what was she thinking about?

Did Carl Sagan thought that the aliens would have such technology to decode brainwaves?

Also, you waste millions of dollars and you put the thoughts of your wife thinking about the roman empire and when they met first kissed you? Such a romantic guy was Sagan.

First time I saw it I was able to figure out everything besides the map in the bottom left. Not that hard.

>*"Brilliant Scientist"*
>*I got an idea! Lets send a record*
*outdated and non-existent on Earth three years later*

Attached: wut.gif (300x300, 438K)

BSG already happened.

Exactly 1 out of 8 planets are habitable. If we go to another solar system, make sure it has at least 8 planets.

It was the 70s, people still thought you could achieve telepathy by taking giant doses of LSD in a group

who the fuck are you quoting?