/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1520477061609.jpg (300x272, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

parabola.nu
wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner
computingforgeeks.com/how-to-configure-mpd-and-ncmpcpp-on-linux/
pastebin.com/tTp9zaWG
pastebin.com/5qbcUBan
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#No_sound_after_resume_from_suspend
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#No_HDMI_sound_output_after_some_time_with_the_monitor_turned_off
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Have I been memed?
you've been GNOME'd.
Try another DE by installing either

-kubuntu-desktop
-xubuntu-desktop
-ubuntu-mate-dekstop
-lubuntu-desktop

Then logout and from the login manager select the new DE.

So it's not me being an autist it seems.

Question about that, can I rollback? Any chance of fuck up?

I'm green as fuck about linux.

>Question about that, can I rollback?
You can uninstall the said metapackage then remove whatever it pulled in by running "apt-get autoremove"
>Any chance of fuck up?
At worst you will end up with a bunch of extra packages installed and will take up a few tens of megabytes in 2018.

>installing random DEs
don't do this

>telling people to not do completely harmless things based on a negative experience you had when messing with arch linux in 2010 as a linux beginner
stop posting retard.

>have a Cubieboard from 20-fucking-12
>want to use it as pihole
>last supported debian on it is wheezy
>pihole needs stretch, jessie at worst
>no issue, I will just update
>jessies udev needs a feature not in the default kernel
>n-no issue, I will just compile a new kernel from the original sources
>kernel compile fails with a shitty error, cannot find solution
>S-STILL NO ISSUE I will just compile the mainline kernel
>compiled kernel, uploaded it to the board
>new kernel requires new U-boot
>ASAFGAGASHGJHADFGJH
>downloaded latest u-boot source on the board whatever was shipped with jessie/wheezy probably won't be enough
>*** Your GCC is older than 6.0 and is not supported
Chink shit hardware: not even once

Attached: kFQEJxW.jpg (480x363, 13K)

whats wrong with arch linux?

Nice to see this first post, i came to ask a similar question.
I'm a linux newbie and have been using ubuntu in a VM. It's been pretty sluggish and painful, on recommendation i installed KDE Plasma and it's both faster and more comfy. I'm keen to try other DEs but i want to avoid going down a customization rabbit-hole, so im not sure.

My question is, since gnome seems so slow and un-comfy, why is it the default DE on so many distros?

>Error when reading configuration file "/home/stahl/.config/compton.conf", line 2: syntax error
Another composite manager is already running

Could you guys redirect me to a decent config I could copypaste?

What's the most lightweight distro to install on an old computer (Thinkpad T42) for my parents without going into neckbeard territory so that they'll understand how to use it?

compton --config /dev/null --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc

Can anyone type "ps -1" in terminal? I only get one result. It's supposed to show current processes in the system if I understood the book correctly. I would assume that there should be more than one process up

Try

p
s

a
u
x

(found a new filter, god dammit)

Gentlemen, I think I used up all my remaining luck for the year.

>dd-ing image to USB
>mistyped sdc and wrote sdb
>literal fucking panic attack, sdb is my gnu+linux system disk
>noticed that I also accidentally wrote /mnt/ for /dev so I just copies some shit to /mnt/sdb, a trash file so no damage is done

I shall present burning sacrifice to Saint IGNUcius for protecting me.

Thanks that came out with more results.

$ man ps

any way to add rules to udisk to create symlinks to usb/cdrom devices in home, while being able to umount said devices? i am setting this up to use midnight commander btw.
i have an idea how to go about the former, but the later seems impossible.

Attached: 1519955597714m.jpg (783x1024, 103K)

Have to develop light softwares for company in .NET but I hate windows so much, and I am physically unable to use it anymore, which distro should I choose, or where should I even begin? I have a Lenovo g505s

Inherently, nothing in my opinion.

That said, if you're a Linux beginner, chances are you're gonna make some mistakes with it. Nothing wrong with that, but they're going to happen. A lot of people that try Arch aren't prepared for the learning curve, have a bad experience with it, and then write it off as terrible because they didn't try to learn properly.

ubuntu 18.04
Check out the alternate desktop versions too (xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu, ubuntu-mate etc)

OpenSUSE might be a good option. Get Leap, it's stable, just werks.

After years of 'your post contains spam', it's finally possible to link parabola.nu
Celebrate.

Attached: 1506384335223.png (512x512, 142K)

The Allwinner A10 is very well supported, minus the Mali GPU, by now.

wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Allwinner

btw why did they call processes "parent" and "child"? Kind of weird reading "In order for parent to terminate it's child..."

thank for the info. Found some shit called "Armbian", it's based on Ubuntu Xenial so I hope it will be enough for pihole. If it won't work, I'm going to try Debian again.
>all that u-boot fuckery thou
How many virgins do I have to sacrifice to the blood god so we can have ARM chips/dev boards with a BIOS/similar so they can.... just boot from whatever? Like what x86 PCs can do since the 80s?

It didn't matter back then, and now SJWs won't complain about it because it's about parents and children not.... other things.

just installed this and pretty happy about it everything is so fast it's better minimal than arch but i couldn't make opengl to work for mpv

Attached: 55.png (200x200, 4K)

How to properly setup ncmpcpp? I'm a retard but I wanna learn.
It doesn't find my music files (flacs) that I have in ~/Music/ (and looks weird too). I think the mpd deamon is running and I used the guide in computingforgeeks.com/how-to-configure-mpd-and-ncmpcpp-on-linux/

Attached: eaaaa.png (617x1080, 18K)

press 2, find files, press a to add them to a playlist, press 5 to select and load a playlist

That's after pressing 2.

Attached: eeeeee.png (605x1080, 16K)

-if you compiled it you need to compile it with flac support
-if you files are not technically in ~/Music but in directories symlinked in ~/Music then you need to enable follow outside symlinks in mpd.conf

Puppy?

your config is fudged because it would just point to ~/Music. make sure both mpd and ncmpcpp configs point to the same directory

Peppermint Linux

~/.mpd/mpd.conf: music_directory "~/Music"
~/.ncmpcpp/config: mpd_music_dir = "~/Music"

I don't know what life is anymore.

did you (re)start mpd after the changes ?

I thought I did before. Tried to do it again but,
$ mpd --kill
fatal_error: Unable to open pid file "/home/tau/.mpd/mpd.pid": No such file or directory

killall mpd

Oh thanks, now I'm learning something. Still, restarting mpd did nothing.

care to share you entire mpd.conf?

pastebin.com/tTp9zaWG

ncmpcpp config: pastebin.com/5qbcUBan

is sabayon good?

It's very bloated. Give Calculate Linux a shot if you want a Gentoo bases system, but don't want to build it from scratch.

Works fine though, if Sabayon is what you're leaning toward.

do CIAniggers have a backdoor to Linux?

They have backdoor to everything

Yes. NSAniggers too.

Hey Jow Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Attached: 1483739425043.gif (600x600, 2.82M)

Fedora

Tinycore

Hi, Friendly gay-lesbian-transgender thread.

Interested in a real operating system?
Too bad (today)! thread's expired

Attached: FreeBSD stab linux.png (800x600, 194K)

Attached: LOLOPENBSD.png (1094x4290, 1.29M)

>Hi, Friendly gay-lesbian-transgender thread.
i thought freebsd was the lgbt operating system

i tried installing openbsd and dragonfly bsd once but couldn't get either to boot

or one of them did boot but wouldn't display anything (my graphics card is radeon hd 7800 series)

MX

Arch is a stepping stone.

>read tech news yesterday
>Intels own VGA card to hit the market next year
Will shilltel save the graphics scene for free operating systems?
Putting all of their shit aside for a minute, their GPU drivers are top notch. If the same will go for their dedicated cards, we finally won't have to death with shitty firmwares and proprietary drivers breaking on every new major kernel release. Same goes for BSDfags too I guess.

Thoughts on systemd?

>proprietary drivers breaking on every new major kernel release
This has never happened to me and i run arch also. Keep the meme alive !!!!

>le works on my computer xDDDD

It happened to me, multiple times. Both for nvidia and AMD, usually the DKMS part of the driver failed to compile because of some kernel ABI/API changes. I don't expect an arrogant archfag to understand thou.

And yet i can make my hardware work, and you cant :^)

I'm not like a die-hard "fuck-the-systemd" guy but I think about it

so how can i be safe? if i want to store anything digitally. is there a way?

how do i move it to the right

Attached: pentadactyl.png (1366x768, 274K)

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a Sony VAIO VPCSA. I've had it for around 7 years. It's still a fairly decent laptop. Installed Linux Mint 18.3 KDE on it recently and found the sound worked for the first hour or so before it stopped. Turns out the audio output continues to change to HDMI output whenever it sleeps or hibernates and the option to select the normal output just disappears from the audio settings. Spent a lot of time trying fixes from just about every Linux forum you can find. I have now spent the past few days distro and desktop hopping but still the same thing happens. Starting to think the problem is the hardware is not compatible. Would you say this is correct and I just install Windows 10 LTSB or is anyone aware of a fix for this issue? I know I'm not the only one with this problem but no one seems to have an actual fix. I have been using Linux for the past year or so on my desktop but still a novice and would appreciate any help or advice.

You're never going to be 100% safe. All computers are "hackable" unless you never connect to the internet for anything.

I have had terrible results using intel GFX rather than my trusty HD5450 or HD6450 cards on openbsd

It's pretty ingenious but I'll tell you the secret.

I'm revealing it in this thread and this thread only.

Use paper or an offline computer for potential novels you are writing that you don't want the CIA/NSA/FBI to know about before they're published.

There, I said it.
I fucking said it.

So, i want to set up my rpi 3 with an external 1tb hdd and nextcloud.
Should i use ext4 or btrfs for the hdd??

Kek

alsa?
pulse?
jack?

delete /system32

ext4. Weks, stable and time tested.

Make sure you use a dot matrix printer on that offline computer.Otherwise they can trace the paper back to your printer cause since the 00's printers add hidden data to the paper that show info about you.

just use ext4 unless you actually need some of the features in btrfs

BTRFS if you want to play around with checksummed filesystems, like ZFS or hammer, but in the real world, can you handle one file being corrupted by one bit every hundred years (and not knowing)? I think you can.

Yeah, alot of the fixes mention reinstalling, upgrading or changing the settings with these and it works initially but the sound disappears again when the laptop sleeps or hibernates.

affirmative, trips

>yeah
Which one nigga...

it is still there user

i got greasemonkey
then i try to install 4chanX
it says this

User script failed to install

undefined

greasemonkey sucks now, use violentmonkey instead

>use violentmonkey instead
would that work?

so i have a completely dead vertical section of my screen
how can i ignore it

basically i need some sort of software to reorder the pixels on my screen, for good

where do i start with this

yes, i use it on my other computer with firefox and Jow Forums-x works fine

What am i doing wrong:

DATA=$(/mnt/data/usr/xmeasure/xmeasure | awk '{ print $2}') ;
read X Y W H

alsa and pulseaudio have been upgraded and work initially. alsa and pulseaudio have been reinstalled and again work initially. pulseaudio config file has been deleted and again works initially. Settings in alsa have been changed so many times and again the fixes work initially.

Ext4 will be. Thanks

Do you have pavucontrol installed?
Do you have a fallback setup?(Its in pavucontrol)
Try these
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#No_sound_after_resume_from_suspend
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#No_HDMI_sound_output_after_some_time_with_the_monitor_turned_off

What is Arch Linux's equivalent to Debian's update-alternatives?

The first one looks pretty specific to my problem, I'll give it a go. Much appreciated. I'll report back.

Try ${X} instead of $X.
Anyway, cut your script in parts and check each command til you find the problem.

Holy shit 4chanX is something, it's very different to normal Jow Forums. Anyways, some icons are not displaying, what should i install?

>cut your script in parts and check each command
I kept the non ffmpeg part for context, because i sit in IT long enough to know, that things that _seem_ to work sometimes behave weirdly and it somehow makes a difference. As far as i was able to tell it worked as expected upon the ffmpeg part.

tl;dr: changing to ${X} helped, thank you kind user

>Anyways, some icons are not displaying, what should i install?
Allow remote fonts in your umatrix/ublock

Sorry, typo, I meant /etc/system32

Fucked around with 4chanX for a bit, it's too overkill. I don't like it.

Just use default actions till something dosent work the way you want it then go in to the settings and change the settings.

Nah, i removed violent monkey and 4chanX. I'm just good with ublock and umatrix.

4chanx isnt on a level that is the same as ublock or umatrix.
4chanx is only Jow Forums.
Just use it.

>4chanx isnt on a level that is the same as ublock or umatrix.

All i need is to block ads and some scripts?
Also i hate having to scroll all the way up to complete NOJScaptcha.