How many of you have actually installed Gentoo?

how many of you have actually installed Gentoo?

Attached: 1521742239023.jpg (259x194, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I tried once but gave up partway through. Just reinstalled the dual boot windows and ubuntu I usually run.

Attached: youcant.png (1371x947, 1.71M)

install gentoo

install gentoo

Attached: Screenshot.png (1920x1080, 392K)

>implying any distribution is hard to install now in the age of "google it"

Does Pentoo count as gentoo? If so I have, a couple of times actually.

the fuck is pentoo? Is that like funtoo?

Literally why

install LFS

faggots like you annoy me, why don't you provide some instructions on how to? yeah I know, because to make something like this is hard as fuck, yo

>memory:68mib
Amazing, yet here i am stuck with wangblows7 that takes a full gig of ram on idle thanks to work.

Attached: 1520390513443.png (648x182, 5K)

Install gentoo

I did but it didn't want to boot

If you really wanted to (and had like a free month or two ) you could setup a pretty neat work environment, isn't it what GNU/Linux is all about?

I've done it, I stopped using it for like 6 months and then when I tried to update the system it wouldn't work for whatever reason so I overhauled the entire system and installed Sourcemage, I prefer Sourcemage over Gentoo because it's a wrapper for LFS unlike Gentoo which applies patches to everything without asking and is more universal than local. I just had to manually compile and update a few system tools and it was as good as new.

Attached: Greater_Syria_with_Syrian_Social_Nationalist_Party_Flag.svg.png (1280x853, 61K)

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation

I was talking about the rice

Refer to
There's literally no excuse now. INSTALL GENTOO

I did the quick install on my x60, but I found emerge annoying. I much prefer apt, so I stick with Debian.

tried few years ago, but failed to start the X and purged the shit. the kernel configuration was the best part.

Couldn't install i3 for some reason

the software i use only works on windows, wine isn't an option too.

Meme pentesting distro for skids

nice numbers, also, that's why you would need that much time, to learn libre programs and shit.

its literally just a terminal running neofetch

but that terminal is riced

he has just changed colors/font in his .Xresources file

Is changing terminal font and background color considered ricing?

how?

>openbox without borders
>just colors and font
yeah, yeah, suuure

>how?
>changed colors/font in his .Xresources file

Attached: bb766b.png (360x360, 130K)

But that's just stock Openbox without window decorations

open the file in a text editor?

yeah, but how?
and then?
how?

Attached: 1476288353638.png (448x468, 194K)

>and then
you kill yourself for being a brainlet that clearly does not have any need for a terminal but wants to look cool

Ay man, I'm really asking
I would love to just use the keyboard, having to use mouse sucks tbqhwyf

I do not like you.

Attached: 1526977846196.jpg (960x540, 103K)

just read the .Xresources entry on arch wiki. and any question you might have following that, look it up on arch wiki. people will be happy to help if you've actually put the effort in to learn for yourself, nobody wants to spoonfeed you.

but if you're too lazy to look up any problems/questions you have on google then you wont get very far using the term

B-But I love you!
Ok, thanks.

Tried but made the mistake of installing kde without knowing how huge Qt was.

Attached: 1454609146881.jpg (200x273, 10K)

shitty burner Tracfone camera

Attached: 1526759122186.jpg (1024x845, 487K)

if you're so gentoo op redpill me
an arch fag

>installed gentoo
>used it for a few months
>reinstalled fedora

Attached: 1518226020517.jpg (789x702, 48K)

I once rolled 'install gentoo' so I tried, got maybe halfway through and there was a power outage. The computer was then unbootable and I got bored.

I tried once and accidentally became gay

My laptop overheated during the installation. It probably saved me from autism

Yes. I ran it on all my systems for a couple of months but then I realized that all my use flags just added up to the defaults on most binary distros so I was just wasting time compiling.

Installing Gentoo isn't much harder than installing Arch (which is quite easy), but to me, it's always fun to build my own OS from the ground up.

Attached: 1526437113916.png (1024x768, 52K)

two times, it's a nice OS but I'm too far into the aptitude eco system

the gentoo's install guide is way more comprehensible and easy to follow than arch's

Switching package managers is easy if you use this: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Just finished installing gentoo. Who's the faggot now Jow Forums?

Attached: boss.jpg (300x300, 24K)

Most of us, I hope.

Installed it back in 2014 on a laptop. It was alright, nothing hard or special. Went back to mint.

yes

really cute

I did a few years ago.
Ironically I wouldn't even bother anymore despite having a processor ideal for it these days.

I have but with the packages, dependencies and use flags I was using there was barely any gains except for compiling my own kernel, which I can do easily on any distro anyway.
This is as far as I got.

Attached: b7US62d.jpg (5312x2988, 3.22M)

Every single one here. You don't belong to gee if you are not running it.

Attached: 1526214525734.png (587x700, 166K)

Attached: scrot.png (768x626, 5K)

Impressive. Very nice.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 6.11.32 PM.png (585x353, 29K)

the absolute state of Jow Forums

Gentoo is the best Linux distro I’ve used. No meme portage is amazing.

>installing Linux
That's a phone OS. They come with it preinstalled.

>17MB RAM for MS-DOS
Why is Linux so bloated?

you're really this new?

I did, years ago. Had it about a week before going back to binary distros.

Gentoo's not hard to install if you can read instructions and use a search engine, just takes too damn long to recompile a full workstation stack every time something needs an update.

Not a bad choice for a resource constrained toy system like a router or a wii if you manage getting distcc set up.

install gentoo

Attached: out.png (9562x768, 2.23M)

I installed arch linux and figured gentoo wouldn't be much harder. Then I realized people actually spent hours compiling everything from scratch. Autism level a tad too high for me.

4 screens?

Attached: 1528875445039.gif.webm (320x240, 266K)

Just one low resolution laptop screen. Guess what laptop.

sup

Attached: 2018-06-17-204707_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.84M)

2nd?

no fucking idea man

There are like a dozen youtube videos on how to install it. It's not that hard, especially if you got with the gentoo kernal. It's almost just like any other installation accept you gotta enter a shit ton more commands and use .0001% of those little things in your head some people call cells.

Closest I've gotten was running arch for a year. Really enjoyed it and learned a bunch of things in the process, including lua. Sadly it died one day during my finals and I never took the time to troubleshoot and get it up and running again.

post wallpaper

Nothing's changed, you're still a faggot

Yeah, I use it everyday
It just werks

Attached: 201817-233239.png (1366x768, 557K)

Read the fucking docs you idiot.

>hey guys check out this model car i bought-- i mean made, yep, no, totally built this baby myself ha ha, was totally complicated

Attached: 1520838834497.png (480x270, 174K)

How hard is it compared to installing arch? I'll install it on my new computer if it's not too bad.

i did a stage1 install in 2004

install fedora
nice

Attached: 1.png (863x829, 223K)

But why?

nah, dualboot for like a month and naturaly you just start using linux only

tfw i use the default tty font in my terminal on one of my machines, i dont even care

>"hurr durr the optimizations you get from compiling from source are a meme! it's the same! use a binary distro!"
>68mb with x started

The annoying thing about installing Gentoo is not that it's hard: just follow the handbook. It's that it takes a long time, especially on older machines.

Basically this

I actually have. It works but it likes to do things its way and it's fussy sbout it. Installing is not so bad, fixing shit that breaks after an update is the real bother. I've since moved on to Linux From Scratch.

>not removing pocket from firefox
Dropped. If you're gonna autism, autism correctly.

Unironically this. Much more stable than Arch too.

don't even use it.

>clover
user. Come on.

used it for years. tried to get back on my servers and whatnot, but one "package" or another was always broken. obviously I could not wait for devs to actually fix them and introduce days of wait time. hence I remain Gentoo-less.

>MS-DOS
que?