It is 2018. Why are you not programming in Crystal?

It is 2018. Why are you not programming in Crystal?

crystal-lang.org

Attached: 1200px-Crystal_language_logo.svg[1].png (1200x487, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
github.com/kostya/benchmarks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because I want to keep my 2018 job and 2019.

But user, I use it daily!

Attached: acd.jpg (600x402, 25K)

>Crystal’s syntax is heavily inspired by Ruby’s, so it feels natural to read and easy to write

Attached: kek.jpg (390x310, 26K)

What's the point?

It's still not finished, so all I do is from time to time check if my toy interpreter written in it still compiles with a new release.
>t. dyslexic

Why the fuck every year there should be at least one major language? What problems actually solves besides being a statically-typed Ruby?

>What problems actually solves besides being a statically-typed Ruby?
A binary compiled RAD language that isn't for brainlets, unlike golang.

god, why does ruby even exist?

Go indeed feels like a language that drags down your IQ, but it offers great concurrency, very good speed, good standard library and compiles down to a single binary without dependencies. Nevertheless, I was thinking Nim is a better competitor. In the end how does Crystal compare to Go and does it offer anything over Nim?

>ruby syntax

Attached: 1355639313970.jpg (300x300, 14K)

>Python but shittier in every conceivable way with the most retarded syntax ever devised by mankind
Agreed

>not on windows

compared to golang:
- no "great concurrency" model, yet but something similar is planned/worked on
- LLVM as backend but a Boehm collector at the moment so atm the throughput is probably about the same
- same story about binaries, but it also comes with a sane package manager by default
- statically typechecked port of Ruby's standard library so a way better standard lib

compared to Nim
- LLVM backend is finished
- probably less leaks of abstractions in it
- I don't know enough about Nim's standard library to make statements about it
- probably give some take some, but Nim really seems like some fuck created that particular reference counting garbage collection and then decided to paint a language around it

install gentoo
>t. brainlet

Dart is a more complete language, Dart both compiles to binary and runs interpreted and is JIT'ed when interpreted.

I love Ruby, but Ruby block syntax connected to methods is stupid. You guys picked the wrong language, you'll never compete with something like Dart.

>statically typechecked port of Ruby's standard library so a way better standard lib
If they did this or they have a significant part, then I guess you can call it anything but a meme.

>Dart
Is anyone besides Google using it? Also supposedly it was made as an alternative to JS, but now that TypeScript is the norm there isn't much reason using it.

>meme languages thinking they will ever compete with C/C++

They don't provide windows binaries.

>Is anyone besides Google using it?
admittedly hardly anyone uses it, Google is not really promoting it, but then again Google never promoted anything and relies on grassroots support for tools they release

>Also supposedly it was made as an alternative to JS, but now that TypeScript is the norm there isn't much reason using it.
Dart is not just a JS-transpiler language, it has the option to run as a standalone interpreter/compiler, its runs very fast, I would imagine faster than Crystal, it also has good multithreading support

Its syntax is like Java and Javascript had a baby, so it has automatic familiarity to millions of programmers in sharp contrast to the tiny Ruby community

I don't use memes that will die out in a year.

you only use well established languages that were designed before 2000, like:
C,C++,Java,C#,Python,Ruby,Javascript,PHP
we have no need for new languages, right?

My employer is transitioning to Crystal exclusively for all of our projects. It's going well so far. AMA I guess

I only use artisanal lanaguaes.

>its runs very fast, I would imagine faster than Crystal
Why do you imagine that? In my experience, Crystal runs as fast as C and marginally faster than Rust for pretty much anything I throw at it. I'm fairly positive Dart doesn't manage that.

Im not even going to ask you to post (((benchmarks))), Im going to take you at your word that Crystal is as fast as C

>is transitioning to Crystal
why?

because he read Crystal is the hot language at the moment?

I've tried Crystal, and I like it, but I am going to wait until it reaches v1.0 before investing in it significantly. It is a very promising language, and one of the few non-FP languages in recent years to have an innovative type system.

>Boehm collector
Does it suffer from space leaks?

How large is your company and what software do you write?

That seems like a bad idea. I love Crystal, but both the language and its ecosystem are not very mature yet. Do you not expect to run into problems with it?

github.com/crystal-lang/crystal/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

Into the trash it goes

>Dart both compiles to binary
What? I am fairly sure it doesn't. It has a option to build what is basically a JAR, much like Java.

On that point, Dart's devs have a crazy hard-on for Java. They've even copied the covariant arrays. At least they got Bob Nystrom who did Wren to help them with v2.0 and static typing.

>why are you not brogramming in a random "literally who" flavor of the month, LLVM lang?

gee, I don't know.

I'm muslim and these policies are against my religion
Homosexuality is forbidden by my religion
I cannot participate in such groups that accept and encourage homosexuals

It's a GC language. It's competing with Go, Java/C#, Python/Ruby, and to a lesser extent OCaml/F#/Scala/Haskell.

good, then fuck off.

github.com/kostya/benchmarks

Are you a Ruby shop? If you are, why did you choose Crystal over the more mature Elixir?

>My employer is transitioning to Crystal exclusively

jesus fucking christ.
and does your employer also have many crystal devs and the ability to fix random issues that *will* occur?

I don't program in anything that sounds like a tranny's name, which is why I don't program in Ruby, Ada, Alice, Kotlin, Maple, Scala, or Vala either. I have a grievance with Fortran literally meaning "For Trannies" if you take away the jewish lie of it meaning formula translation, but they refuse to change it's name despite my letters and I have to use it in my job as a researcher so I can't really do anything about that.

Have you ever fapped to traps? Admit it.

What about Python?

I program in C, or in go. JS sometimes because internet.
Nowadays I don't see the need for much else.
Jai will be great though. I'm waiting for it.

I'm looking forward to playing the Jai port of Yandere Simulator on my RISC-V desktop system running GNU/Hurd.

Sorry about the delay guys, had to hop offline for a bit

We're a ruby and C shop and really like that Crystal is basically Ruby but faster. We're currently experimenting with replacing our C work with Crystal, we'll see how it pans out.

We currently have ~30 employees and build custom software solutions (mostly webshit) and custom hardware (like we fabricate our own boards, hence our need for C).

For replacing our lower level C needs I bet we will have issues. As far as replacing our ruby webshit it will probably work just fine.

Wasn't my call

We're all experienced Rubyists and C hackers, we'll figure it out.

Did you experiment with other languages before settling on Crystal?

I'll be honest with you, not as much as we should have. The selection process was kind of a clusterfuck. The other top contender was Swift. The only real criteria was whatever we used needed to be faster than Ruby and potentially also a C replacement. No one wanted to learn a functional language and Rust was off the table because syntax. And that's how we got here.

>Rust was off the table because syntax
It does sound like a clusterfuck. Well, best of luck to you, user. Tell us how it went in some future Crystal thread.

>No one wanted to learn a functional language
bunch of cunts

"syntax"

Sure thing. I'm not too bummed about it since I've been working with Crystal on personal projects for ~3 years now. I'm expecting it will get kinda crazy though.

What framework are you going to use for your webshit, Amber, Lucky, or just Kemal?

Amber

kill yourself frogfaggot

Why not just use mruby?

>syntax shittier than python
come on now. ruby has a lot of issues, but python certainly has a shittier syntax.

I immediately discard the opinion of anyone who thinks python syntax is good and desirable

but that's literally what i said. read it again.

let me know when it has fastcgi and I can make a .cry file with html & crystal in it, interchangeably.
then I'll do it

If I don't use C or Ruby, would I have any business using Crystal?

You wouldn't have any business, because you wouldn't have a job, because all programming jobs force you to use PHP

>because all programming jobs force you to use PHP
What?

There are still a fair number of ruby jobs, tho probrably 60% of the shops switched to node after that got big.

>replacing C with crystal
oh no no no

Node is cancer and needs to die

Sad but true

PHP is fucking everywhere

We're trying my dude!

Why the fuck are people trying to replace C with Crystal/Rust/memelang?

out of the box modern feature like regex or utf8

to be honest I'm looking for a compiled language to write some simple css preprocessor, and goddamnit none of these available languages fit the bill.

Go looks awkward, Nim has a lot of feature, but stdlib looks like shit, Rust "borrowing ownership" mindset will make me lose all the motivation before getting anything done. Swift is apple stuff, support for windows or linux is pretty limited, kotlin native isn't there yet, zig or pony also look like they need 3 or 5 years more.

Too bad crystal still doen't have windows support.

>supporting windicks ever

What kind of retarded company would support an OS with only 90% of the market share?

>windows support
fuck off we don't want you

Attached: toddler.png (645x614, 83K)

>zig or pony
What the heck are those?

I fucking love Crystal. I've made compiled Crystal versions of a few of my Ruby/GTK programs in Crystal.

>css preprocessor
>no windows support

I don't think that works.

pony is a language inspired by erlang and scala

zig is a meme language that try to replace D

Kill yourself wofag your image it's disgusting and so are you