openbsd.org/papers/BeckPledgeUnveilBSDCan2018.pdf
freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/relnotes.html
joyent.com/blog/samsung-acquires-joyent
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=97362217729332&w=2
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152778544905031&w=2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Faster than OpenBSD, simpler than Linux

It has its niche.

Everyone's talking about the politics of freebsd but nobody's talking about the upcoming V12. Pretty much confirmation the project is dead.

What's wrong with V12?

Nothing, but nobody's talking about it.

FreeBSD coc: you can yell but you can't hug.

SHUT THE FUCK UPĀ”

The only major improvement I can remember is drm-next, which brings hardware support to recent GPUs, can't remember anything else tbfh.

lol ree

FreeBSD can't even release patches anymore for vulnerabilities. V12 will be joke.

PS4 uses it, so no.

FreeBSD fork =/= freeBSD

Too many cucked white guys.
freeBSD needs more diversity hires.

So what does FreeBSD do that Arch/Debian/Gentoo can't again?

You have to suck a woman's penis to accept the EULA.

Have a sane codebase

Nothing.
FreeBSD has always been running after Linux and Solaris.

Say what you want about OpenBSD, but they're running in a different direction. It has benefits over Linux (system is much more coherent, better documentation, attention to security in the entire system, etc.)

Attached: reeeeebsd.jpg (1241x1123, 110K)

Doesn't OpenBSD do insane things like scrambling processes and ports in the name of "security"?

Do you even understand how computers work?

I'm not sure how to interpret your sentence.
They are very big on exploit mitigation, so indeed they randomize whatever can be randomized to prevent attackers from having a known environment.

They are also starting to promote sandboxing, through pledge() and the upcoming unveil() system call, as well as virtualization.

does it? is it simpler in that you have to reconfigure every default and disable every openssh patch? and beyond the networking stack (which linux will outperform on soon) is it worth it (t. no aslr)?

FreeBSD is dreadfully disorganised with cruft in base suggesting the innefectual leadership causing technical paralysis. Want to configure a packet filter? First choose which one: ipf? Ipfw? Crusty old version of PF?

Setup a nice stable desktop? Oh whoops rolling ports you need to reconfigure everything. Also fuck that shitty console font.

t. even freebsd commies no longer defend it. SAD.

there is nothing going for freebsd except for it's networking stack (soon to be put into linux). prove me wrong.

OpenBSD is basically the only system you can trust at the moment. It's not rife with insane trannies either.

I used to be a FBSD advocate. That ended 3 month ago.

dragonflybsd killed it.

i stopped donating after they got a politically correct CoC

i want an explaination

>largest number of contributors and users among BSDs
>finished

Attached: 1528711866088.jpg (267x323, 7K)

>It has benefits over Linux
Mostly snake oil "benefits" and it's also hard to find a BSD system engineer while Linux and MS professionals are everywhere.

freebsd.org/internal/bylaws.html
"The last core election was held in June of 2016. The next core election is scheduled for May-June of 2018."

core election when?

Attached: Dc2l-x0X4AAtp6A.jpg (1200x900, 153K)

>Everyone's talking about the politics
Welcome on Jow Forums. Yes, it's useless.

freebsd made it about politics when they made a code of conduct like that

Overreacting Jow Forumstards made it about politics. But the project is dead, that's for sure.

pledge is not sandboxing tho

FreeBSD decided to fling political shit at everyone so anons not wanting to put up with it decided to fling shit back. OpenBSD doesn't do this bullshit because theo wants results.

Blame FreeBSD Foundation for selling out cheaply to several companies.

drm-next-kmod is available on 11-STABLE

what?

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152773817212205&w=2
High quality discussion. [sjis][/sjis]

I am disappointed that FreeBSD's governance has gone to shit. It has the largest software repositories of any BSD and, in my experience, is the easier to port to. The Book is an excellent form of documentation that teaches you not just what to do, but the right mindset for system administration.

I use jails a lot. I'd try gradually switching servers to OpenBSD if it had jails. DragonFlyBSD does, but it would be irresponsible for me to introduce DragonFlyBSD at work. I guess I'll be sticking to FreeBSD, CoC and all.
The operating system taken as a whole has fewer moving parts than mainstream GNU/Linux distributions like Debian. For example, FreeBSD's init scripts are written in a high-level and concise shell DSL. It allows for easy configuration without repeating code at a much lower complexity cost than systemd's.

>First choose which one: ipf? Ipfw? Crusty old version of PF?
The basic advice in this area is, if in doubt, choose IPFW.

Freebsdgirl and COC killed it. I was a big advocate, a huge fan, user. Used it since I migrated from Debian Sid when KDE 4 came out. Sad to see it getting ruined like this.

>I am disappointed that FreeBSD's governance has gone to shit
Elaborate without using the CoC argument. I use Linux everywhere, but i found retarded and unprofessional this shitshow around freebsd.

If you are so afraid of OpenBSD, why not switch to linux like redhat and save your self a lot trouble.

> dude with mental issues post
Every community gets that

Except in FreeBSD controlled spaces it would get censored.

maybe, but his post still makes no sense.
the no bullshit OS list:
- Devuan (Debian but with a small team)
- Gentoo (no easy way of mix/match like pkg with BSD)
- Slackware (no dep solving)
- BSD (except for FreeBSD)

...it's not an easy one.

You can't ignore the CoC debacle, but it is a symptom. The cause is the growing role of office politics over competence in who gets a say in how to run the project and, ironically, decreased tolerance for dissent.
I said I wanted jails and you reply with
>If you are so afraid of OpenBSD
What?

Why jails?

>sane codebase
>with insane maintainers

Attached: 1525214150903.gif (320x320, 240K)

Terry is completely insane but he has made a very well organized and well written operating system

Logical grouping and isolation of services.

Good point.

Sounds like very insecure system if it must use containers to separate userland processes.

> jails
snake oil

Wut.
It's used to secure potentially insecure userland processes, not the other way around.

try illumos' zones then if you need something jails-like but better

So FreeBSD is that insecure. I'll take selinux thanks.

wtf are you retarded?
It's a mechanism to secure APPLICATIONS. It has nothing to do with the security of FreeBSD.

>Faster than OpenBSD
But slower than Dragonfly, which is a fork of cuckBSD by the few people who had a clue.
Spawned over a technical disagreement.
Remaining on reeBSD are only corporate drones and soiycucks.

Are you saying that FreeBSD is shipping insecure applications in default install?
Also /sbin/init is an userland application too.

Illumos seems to have no users and no support even by the BSDs' standards. Or am I wrong?

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
cuckBSD a shit.

Attached: 1503716241032.png (600x704, 64K)

No I'm saying it's used to secure application. Like Samba or ProFTPD whatever else the fuck you want to secure.

There is virtually no reason to use illumos.
Of the companies that used Solaris in the 90 or 00s, the cheapskates migrated to Linux and the ones happy to pay will stay with Oracle.

>No I'm saying it's used to secure application. Like Samba or ProFTPD whatever else the fuck you want to secure.
You are starting to get very sensitive about it. I'll try OpenBSD, looks like they have nothing to hide regarding the security.

OpenBSD provides pledge(), chroot() and similar containment mechanisms.

>chroot()
Escaping a chroot jail is trivial

Let me try to explain again in a language a brainlet like you can comprehend

security of SAMBA depend on SAMBA, not depend on Linux or FreeBSD or OpenBSD

so if grug want security, grug has to make SAMBA protected so SAMBA cannot compromise system further

capisce?

>capisce?
You got it Toni Cipriani

This matters only if you want to contribute to it, and an average user doesn't. They only care about software and hardware support, and Linux outshines every BSD in that respect.

I don't get why someone want to use an operting system which has no basic exploit mitigation techniques adopted in the year of the lord 2018

Which is why there's pledge() and soon unveil().

Does FreeBSD support pledge() ?

And how is unveil() going to make chroot() any better?

chroot shouldn't be used for "security".
unveil() provides an alternative that is actually designed to provide security.
openbsd.org/papers/BeckPledgeUnveilBSDCan2018.pdf

There's nothing to talk about for 12.0 yet. However:
freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/relnotes.html

Will chroot() be removed if unveil() is planned to be an alternative?

No. Again, chroot() was never for security, and so unveil existing or not is irrelevant to it.

No digits go unchecked

why does -misc always attract these retarded meandering schizophrenic posts

>and disable every openssh patch
Just use the unpatched ssh from the repos

>I leave you guys with some potentially explosive flame material (I just put
one my flame retardant suit). If any OpenBSD developers are secretly
putting NSA backdoors or trojans in the code through faults in the compiler
itself or whatever stop and think about math ! For instance, if a Canadian
or American takes a trip to Europe the statistical probability of being
killed in a terrorist attack is smaller than the chance of getting in a
car accident (at least for Americans). Bottom like is terrorism is rare and
the OpenBSD user and code base is not that large : therefore the
probability of terrorists using OpenBSD is very small so that is not a good
reason to sell out to big brother. Who pictures someone like Osama Bin
Laden , before his death, sitting down using OpenBSD ? No one. It is bad
enough some arcane formula of everyday items bought at target or some wonky
algorithm at Facebook can false flag someone as terrorist I really don't
want that nonsense in OpenBSD.
What did he mean by this?

illumos might have more devs than openbsd

the main company developing it was purchased by samsung not long ago
joyent.com/blog/samsung-acquires-joyent

FreeBSD DEPRECATED.

Endless source of sensible chuckles.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=97362217729332&w=2

Those are stenographically encrypted messages to prevent brainlets like you reading the sec contents.

>stenographically
Nice word salad you got there.

Attached: 1528678853799.gif (664x654, 283K)

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152778544905031&w=2
>You'll find that the OpenBSD community isn't overly fond of political debate or security theater

Attached: 1481816509906.jpg (251x242, 8K)

>stenographically

Attached: 385.jpg (317x267, 21K)

Just installed OpenBSD on a laptop and everything Just werks.
full disk encryption
suspend hibernate
acpi volume/display brightness buttons.
wifi was easy to configure using ifconfig(1)
Very solid OS.

mind saying what laptop you're using? been thinking of grabbing an OBSD laptop

I used Free/OpenBSD for years, but jumped to RHEL/CentOS a while back because that's what was available from most VPS providers. Now that FreeBSD is an option from enough providers, I've returned. I've missed it.

The CoC stuff doesn't really bother me any more than Linus's habit of cursing on LKML. If FBSD wants to make their in-house stuff fully SJW compliant, who cares. If it chases off developers they'll yank it or modify it. Getting your panties in a twist about the CoC as an end user is just dumb.

>Linus's habit of cursing on LKML
Jesus fucking Christ why are you such a pussy that gets upset by curse words? Fuck off back to plebbit you soft headed cunt.

Attached: c61.png (800x750, 106K)

True. The entire world would use OpenBSD if its performance was as good as its security.

Samsung also develops Tizen, and no-one uses that.

It doesn't bother me. Neither does the FreeBSD CoC. But you keep on getting outraged when you misunderstand, user. It's a great look.

The entire world would use OpenBSD if the performance was as good as its security.

Get a t420, just look for intel parts and no nvidia crap.