Is this the most underrated distro?

Is this the most underrated distro?

Attached: 2000px-Fedora_logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f4QBRgyitFs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

facebook has a distro?

Is this the most underrated post?

I've been considering going to it from Arch. I'm tired of compiling my programs. Debian distros in full disk encryption give me an lvmetad error.

What reasons would I choose Fedora over Arch?

I used to run Arch way back in like 2008. It used to break a lot. Fedora is rather bleeding edge but does not have breakages like I had with Arch. Fedora has been rather smooth for quite a few releases in a row now without many problems.

I also think Fedora has the best KDE release of any distro somehow. I never thought I'd run KDE when I was ricing my Arch desktop back then.

>boot time is AWFUL
>muh gnome
>gtk 3.99 breaking everything
>all other DE's are literally abandoned
>it actually brakes
>you're literally testing Red Hat 9 for free
>NSA backdoors

fedora users are cucks, you can get the same crap with better functionality by using SUSE or Debian testing/sid

Attached: 1529025798438.png (1053x1080, 314K)

Attached: 1520862490747.png (600x600, 66K)

How hard is it to switch desktop environments in it? i only use Plasma but on arch I just install a group and de install it.

It's either Fedora or I'm going back to Windows 10.

Boot time is because of Gnome, Gnome hasn't really been good as of recent.

As for the NSA backdoor, I'd like source on that.

I can't use Debian however because the full disk encryption gives me an lvmetad issue that hasn't been fixed in years, and SUSE has package issues and encryption issues last time i tried it.

Yeah you just dnf group (un)install for DE and other groups like open office. I think the big advantage of Arch is AUR and the codecs but it's not hard to enable rpm fusion repos. I swapped from GNOME 3 to KDE with the group commands no problem.

Also if you are installing from scratch there is a fedora spin for KDE so you dont have to mess with GNOME 3 at all.

boot time is awful on every DE because of bleeding edge systemd

is it an actual bug? or a simple panic message? there's some lvmetad """"bug"""" out there present on EVERY distro

Fedora has been terrible since they switched from yum to dnf. Yum was fast and never gave me issues, whereas dnf is much more lagged to respond.

I actually switched to centos because it still uses the old system. Ironic that it's much faster than the latest fedora.

Attached: bappu.jpg (240x240, 11K)

Weird never had a problem with dnf

since fedora 18 everything went downhill

I'll miss the yellow dog linux linage :'(

I haven't used 18 but I heard there were a string of bad releases around that time. Can't say they are bad for at least 3 releases now and I haven't seen many people have problems since the 3 bad ones.

It's been on two computers, both with capable hardware, so it's not just me having a bad machine.

I don't know how it's slow compared to yum. Do you mean the fact it refreshes the repos? Or the transactional package management?

Its actually a pretty good distribution. Up to date, very stable, promotes FOSS over proprietary and is the defacto GNOME distro. Spins are available and I hear the KDE spin is pretty good. They also have a very easy to use minimal installer which is nice. Its a distro worth considering.

Yeah Fedora worked for me when no other set release distro worked on my PC.

The only annoying aspect of Fedora is the release cycle. If it were a rolling release it would be great.

>using the GNOME/Red Hate/Systemd distro
No thanks

F28 plasma is unironically a good distro. I've never had any problems beyond a pajeet teir widget crashing the de and network manager being misconfigured for dnsmasq. The solution to the latter was a simple as reading journalctl and making an empty lease file.

KDE spin is really good, i use it as my daily driver and it just wekrs tho distro hopping like a faggot right now

>turn a good distro into a shit one
For what purpose?

If RH/Fedora did an LTS release It'd be even better.

it's the only one that isn't complete shit, yes.

slackware.

it's called centos

>What reasons would I choose Fedora over Arch?

not autistic installer
same fucking packages and versions usually
selinux enforcing with policies written by rh pros
superior package manager that doesn't require autism and broken shell code to make useful

honestly, the only thing arch has over it is rolling release which in practice doesn't really matter.

>you can get the same crap with better functionality by using SUSE or Debian testing/sid

lmao. have you even used debian lately? they pretty much had to fully reorganize because of how shit it was. last time I was using sid, shit was literally a fucking mix of new and old software.
Fedora's point releases are literally more up to date than debian sid in most cases.

it looks cool, it's fast and the default theme looks good and i would install if i needed a stable pc for browsing/libreoffice but for myself i thing it's missing packages. red hat refuses to host non-free packages which is good, but rpm fusion is missing packages, or sometimes are older than debian. so for now i'll continue to use debian sid.

CentOS is a bit too old.

OpenSUSE is great because of btrfs snapshots. Your system break because Linux is garbage at stability? No problem, simply rollback the update from the bootloader. System snapshots make rolling release not a retarded minefield. There's also a point release version if you are still scared that updates will break something. I can't shill btrfs snapshots enough.

Works on my machine

OpenSUSE is even better. It has the most polished KDE setup of any distro.

You can just roll back updates with DNF too

I don't use Fedora but I'm pretty sure you would need a USB drive with Fedora on it, figure out how to chroot the system, then rollback and pray. With OpenSUSE, you can select the snapshot from the bootloader.

>meme distros
Just use Gentoo/Debian/Arch

fedora has a transactional rollback system for updates haven't personally used it for much tho
its not gonna be a snapshot but if some update breaks its easy to bring it back and all old config files are automatically backed up

>How hard is it to switch desktop environments in it?

Has no one create a one-button-ish easy switch? Genuinely curious, because I'll start working on it.

I think just the pray step would be removed then if the bootloader only shows the kernel.

Using Google, it would be dnf install @kde-desktop
Your idea is still good one though. Maybe a GUI for switching DE's that simply installs another and uninstalls the original so the application menu isn't a gigantic mess. The stupid meme of installing a distro for the default DE could finally end.

in fedora its just dnf uninstall @gnome-desktop then install @kde-desktop

swapping out gdm to sddm is easy too

The point of the GUI is to make it retard friendly and not have a dozen distros where the only difference is the default DE.

why does a retard wanna swap desktop environments in the first place

>you're literally testing Red Hat 9 for free
And? Using any up to date software on linux is testing it for [insert old as shit distro meant for servers here], Using Ubuntu is basically testing for Debian, and using the desktop usable versions of Debian is -literally- testing for Debian.

The AUR is just programs to be compiled, dont really feel like it. Binary programs are just fine for me, but the dnf thing, i found an article, thanks. I'll install Fedora KDE 28 later today.

I did see the KDE Spin, I haven't touched the Fedora Spins in a bit but I'm gonna dig at the KDE spin, its the only desktop I can use reliably.

Systemd compaints are memes. Some are valid but a majority ignores what systemd solved. I think the issue was that a bunch of mainstream distros forced it on people.

Also, when using full disk on debian distros for encryption (ubuntu, debian, linux mint, etc) you get something to the line of:

WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to internal scanning.

look up debian bug #799295 ; it looked like this picture.

Attached: v0nfXCB_d.jpg (640x205, 24K)

can’t even do a chroot install, garbage tier distro

>installing a distro for the default DE
people actually do that? i thought that only happened with unity because nobody really bothered to port that god awful shit.

that was my boot screen for 2 years before I switched

If anything you would be compiling less in arch since its bleeding edge and has aur. Fedoras alright but coming from a rolling distro upgrading to the new version twice a year will be annoying. If you want to switch to a rpm distro fedoras probably your best choice though.

Even retards can be interested in trying new things.

Yes people do that. That's why there's a hundred different distros where the only difference is the DE.

but does it have kde 5.13

In about 1-2 months yeah

fedora is not underrated, in fact it's overrated and totally irrelevant in 2018

based on what?

fpbp

youtube.com/watch?v=f4QBRgyitFs

>>you're literally testing Red Hat 9 for free
>I only like to be one the receiving end of free
t. linuxuser

Attached: p3gnugv.jpg (1125x817, 61K)

Sup

Attached: 2018-06-18-092431_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.64M)

GuixSD is

Attached: guixsd.png (1366x768, 1.09M)

CRUX

> jpg
are you autistic?