Why does vim use hjkl instead of jkl;...

Why does vim use hjkl instead of jkl;? I'm used to having my fingers on the home row so it's awkward to have to move over a key when I start typing.

Attached: serveimage.png (1200x1202, 106K)

j,k are needed more often than h,j.

Because history

>jkl;
Would suck really hard on non-us keyboards

Then shouldn't jk be under the index and middle finger, not the middle and ring finger?

If you have your fingers on the home row, they are.

If you're using hjkl they aren't.

If you have your fingers on the home row, j,k are under your index and middle fingers. This is not complicated.

history m8, the keyboard that they were using had arrows over the hjkl keys look it up

My point is that when you're using vim your fingers aren't on the home row.

How so?

They're on hjkl not jkl;

Shift your right hand to the right by one key. Your fingers are now on the home row.

but they should just be on jkl; in the first place so you don't have to shift over every time you want to type

Attached: 1527967095426.jpg (600x591, 76K)

Attached: 1487235720859.png (4000x3788, 616K)

Ok
keep your fingers there
now use your index finger for j and h
this is how 99.9999999999999999999% of people use vim

shit I never thought about that

Attached: 1483721523643.png (208x187, 67K)

I have a question about vim.

Usually if I use $, w, 0, b; it brings me right before the last character and if I press 'i' to type I'll have to move one more to the left or right.

How can I set it so that it actually puts me one after the last character, and one before the first?

Press a.

you know that marker on your f and j key? a lot of people are used to setting their hands down so that their index fingers are on those keys.idk why you faggots have to pretend to be retarded on Jow Forums all day for fun, but the movement keys for vim do NOT have you put your index finger on J

that is op's question thank you

>but the movement keys for vim do NOT have you put your index finger on J
What? No.

Thanks, user!

Vim movement is very weird, mostly because a lot of advice is (subtly) contradictory as hell.

The Vimtutor and Vim User Manual shill hjkl because they're all on the homerow. However, they don't actually recommend whether you should rest your right hand on hjkl versus jkl;.

The slight contradiction comes because both authoritative guides recommend you get used to moving with hjkl as a "main" means of moving through a document. A user might therefore think that resting on hjkl is optimal. But a real argument can be made that jkl; (the usual QWERTY resting place) is better: 'h' is usually worse than 'b' (or even 'ge') for backwards movement; ';' is really useful as it allows you to repeat f/F/t/T commands. Nevertheless, the benefits of resting on jkl; aren't explicitly told to the user, so it's easy to get used to the "wrong" way of using vim.

i read somewhere that you shouldnt use hjkl as arrows, i toke the advice

Attached: 1521026691765.jpg (600x210, 54K)

This is a good question.

Following standard typing practices your right index finger should be over the J key, so your hand naturally rest on the JKL; keys

hjkl
So what fucking finger are you putting on the h key retard?

I recently started using Vim on a daily basis and it's incredible how fast you get used to keys and doing things the Vim way to the point I want to have its keybindings everywhere.

I have a question though, do you use any plugins?

I don't rest a finger on it because I'm a touch typist. I press it with my index finger.

It uses what you want it to use.

You didn't read my post stupid
It's traditional to rest your index fingers at the markers on your keyboard. Vim is NOT that
You clearly don't know how to type, don't use vim, or both

lel you are the stupid one
in vim your rest position for the index finger is still the j, you just sometimes move it to the left

Yes. I don't recommend going overboard too quickly, as it can slow down your vim/neovim. Just install the plugins you need/want as the desire pops up, rather than installing someone's entire plugin list.

These are my most important :

I think a fuzzy finder is a must (i use fzf, ctrlP is also good)

vim-rooter tries to set the working directory to your project's root folder automatically. This is great because for example fuzzy search plugins work on the working directory and if you're working on more than one projects it really saves LOTS of time.

I also like vim-vinegar and traces.vim (second one exists as a feature in neovim already)

I use a few more but I don't really need them the above cover everything I really care about.

>You didn't read my post stupid
I did.
>It's traditional to rest your index fingers at the markers on your keyboard.
Yes.
>Vim is NOT that
How so?
>You clearly don't know how to type, don't use vim, or both
I know how to type and use vim.

Will do, thanks! I wouldn't want to install too many plugins anyway. I'll keep it minimal.

Noice. I'll take a look at those, thanks.

Also A is nice to know.

So are you saying that when touch typing you never use any keys besides asdfjk; because you're not resting on them? Wow.

I use a qwertz keyboard. jkl; worked out of the box for me. But I remember the pain learing vim because many other keybindigs where pretty shit like ], } or ' *finger bending af*.
It's still kinda clunky sometimes, but i got used to it. (I'm to lazy to remap / rebind keys because it fucks up the entire "ecosystem")

because why not

feels like i use this one more often, then a

i = insert (before the cursor)
a = append (after the cursor)
It isn't that hard people.

I used to use emacs in college but vim in the corporate world. Emacs is a trainwreck but the commands (ctrl-a to beginning of line, ctrl-e to end, etc) are used on the unix command line.

I not only used to run xbiff, I know it was named after a fucking dog.

Attached: at_work.gif (40x40, 252)

>adjusting cursor position by 1
>not moving forward by word
>not seeking through the line with f F t T
>not jumping through the document by searching

hjkl is for your first two days of vim, after that you should graduate to more sophisticated movement commands.

set -o vi

there you go, vi commands on bash