/wt/ - Watch Thread: Rolex & Tudor Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/rL0_vOw6eCc

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Previous thread:

Attached: rolex tudor.jpg (1280x720, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/S39paDGZ0Ew?t=192
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Tudor.

Attached: tudor black bay.jpg (4048x3036, 1024K)

If I buy a watch on eBay that comes from overseas for like 300-400 dollars, is that going to get hit with customs fees? I keep getting varied answers. The item location is Japan and I'm in the US.

Attached: 1419565724414.jpg (640x480, 15K)

First for slavshit in transit.

Attached: Vostok_Amphibia_Classic_960761-01-max-1800.jpg (1200x1800, 174K)

What did you wear today /wt/?

Attached: IMG_20180420_131118.jpg (2000x1500, 1.09M)

a friend gave this to me for my birthday a couple of weeks ago

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x260, 12K)

First for grail, but more importantly, first for 'it's okay if the lugs go over your wrist'.

Attached: Beyond the veil.jpg (1280x1024, 200K)

>'it's okay if the lugs go over your wrist'.
It's not.

Post your address so I can see if it's okay for a bag of dogshit to go into your letterbox.

SSB025PC

Attached: li23htou2ht928gjwigihj.jpg (1652x1558, 543K)

I actually just ordered this today after seeing on here recently.

How do you like it?

>How do you like it?
It's a crappy Seiko, what do you honestly think he's going to say?

I like it plenty, but then again I'm not an uppity luxury fag.

Attached: 68fe4g68edr84hg6e5g4e65g4.jpg (2016x1249, 1.46M)

>Once again, I think it looks fine, but you do have to deal with the fact that it's a 'tall' watch on your wrist, so it'll have a large presence. The lugs are fine, but they look shorter because they're thick (in terms of width).
Yeah I remember that it looked better when I was there than it does when I see the photos afterwards. I think the photos play tricks on me, lmao. That's why I should try on the speedy again too.

>that "collection"
What an incredible lack of taste.

Still wearing my SE020. I want to get the regulation dialed in now that I replaced the mainspring with one that doesn't overbank like crazy.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180616_103442.jpg (2551x2551, 2.25M)

>how did it come to this?

>try to help people overcome their societal fears of belonging to the ingroup, to see potential and freedom of simply wearing what you like. To understand that something as personal as a wristwatch has no limitations as long as you love it, and love looking at it when you need the time. To remind us all that only you are there for the rest of your life, and the people who flirt in and out are only temporary, along with their opinions on your choice of horology.

>Get informed that my viewpoint deserves 'dogshit put into my letterbox'.

>I guess it's true. You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain

Attached: P2140114.jpg (4288x3216, 2.98M)

I'll give you some taste watchboi, right in your mouth.

Attached: 65sd4g65sd4g65sd4g6s5g4.jpg (2016x1245, 498K)

Photos always distort the proportions, especially if taken close up. The closer the camera is, the larger the watch looks on the wrist, the further away it is, the smaller the watch looks. Do not trust photos of watches you are considering. Trust your eyes. If the Speedy looked good on you in the store, then it'll look good on you.

Attached: 8-Lange-Sohne-Lange1-Tourbillon-165-years.jpg (1200x800, 139K)

And yet most of /wt/ will still think it's great. It's sad.

As the guy who have been listening to you this all time, I for one appreciate your thoughts.

But now I need to sleep. Night night.

It looked ok, but borderline. The guy trying to sell me the watch thought it looked good tho (hehe..)

SWEET DREAMS /wt/

>i spent $5000 on a watch and no one will give me (you)s waaaaaah

>buying a collection of dogshit instead of just buying a couple of good watches
Sad.

To be fair if he pooled all of that money he spent on that he'd probably only manage to get one of the cheaper Hamilton watches. And I'd rather have the mdv106, the g shock, and the Seiko 5 than one of those.

Then, quickly. The guy trying to sell you the watch will always tell you it looks good, so don't trust that either (obviously). If it's 'borderline', then it requires revisits. One day it might look good, one day it might not. But borderline watches tend to look better the longer you've had them on, either because we psych ourselves to make it look good or because we simply get used to it.

Good luck in your search. Rest well.

Attached: Flying.jpg (800x1067, 229K)

Ok, then tell me what happens with a partial replacement of:
That twin quartz
The high beat
That other automatic movement from the other Seiko group that didn't make the hi beat

When I spend large amounts of $ on a watch what /wt/ thinks doesn't even enter my mind.

Good advice but as says the choice would still be limited.

It's almost like having a mirror.

Attached: SapphireCrystals.jpg (1701x1701, 365K)

>Blancpain
>Breguet
>Bremont
>Breitling
Why do all the best brands start with B?

>Blancpain
>Breguet
>Bremont
>Breitling
Objectively all shit.

>Bolex
>Budor
I agree.

only if you spend more than $800 on it.

> Breguet
> Shit
Pick one.

Attached: Balancier_sur_mouvement_chronometrie_detail_PR2_RGB.jpg (1600x1052, 486K)

That finishing is fucking junk, look at that shit in the top right.

I don't know enough about vintage quartz watches to have useful suggestions on it.

For vintage mechanical movements from either Seiko factory in the 1960 and 1970s you will typically looking at sourcing a donor movement if you need any significant spare parts. This can be fairly inexpensive ($50-$150) for the models produced in large quantities and/or at different quality grades (e.g. the Daini 52xx line, the Suwa 5740C hi-beat). For some movements that were only made in limited numbers at high quality grades, sourcing spare movements is expensive (e.g. Daini 45xx KS or GS hi-beats).

But it's better decorated than any Seiko that doesn't have grand in it

Seikos are shit too.

>finishing comparisons between Grand Seiko and all others...

And so it begins....always, every night, now and forever.

Attached: ....jpg (171x216, 9K)

Actually a Breguet should be better decorated than any Grand Seiko, as Breguet are a haute watchmaker operating in a segment above Grand Seiko, Rolex, Zenith, and JLCs entry-level line.

>And so it begins....always, every night, now and forever.
You're confusing types of finishing. They are arguing about movement finishing, not external finishing. Grand Seiko's movement finishing is very good for a production watch, but I don't think anyone would argue their movement finishing is better than JLCs entry level line even.

The shitflinging in these threads is usually about Grand Seiko's external finishing (i.e. case, dial, and bracelet finishing).

Why do people care so much about the brushed metal look, anyway? I've done it before, you just put the metal to a wheel and belt.

DID YOU NOT READ THE FUCKING CUSTOMS PAGE I POSTED IN THE LAST THREAD? CAN YOU EVEN READ AT ALL?

I just like it. My favourite are bevelled edges with contrasting brushed/polished surfaces

>Why do people care so much about the manufacturing quality of the objects they buy, anyway?

Attached: 1508179330348.jpg (645x729, 26K)

If you live in the US, as long as it's not like 1000 dollars, you should be exempt from customs fees. Make sure they use EMS.

What the fuck kind of a nerd cares this much about watches? Does it tell you the fucking time? That's all it needs to do. A fucking 20 dollar watch can do that.

Attached: 1516133316649.png (655x570, 736K)

Breguet is god tier even if they have stumbled a bit in the last few years.

A Casio tells you the time, but a Rolex will tell you the time, piss off poorfags and get you more pussy than you know what to do with.

Attached: matt.jpg (1600x900, 142K)

>a watch can get you pussy
LMAO, looks like you've seen too many movies. Good looks gets you pussy. An expensive car gets you pussy. A fucking Rolex on a retard gets you mugged.

I enjoy good craftsmanship generally and items that don't belong to a throwaway culture

>An expensive car gets you pussy. A fucking Rolex on a retard gets you mugged.
Genuinely keked.

>this is how the poorfag attempts to cope with not being able to afford a rolex
Pretty sad if I'm being quite honest and fair with you, family.

>Good looks gets you pussy. An expensive car gets you pussy. A fucking Rolex on a retard gets you mugged.
I'm so fucking glad I read this. That's a golden post if I ever saw one.

>poorfag trying to cope
>acknowledges that expensive cars can attract women
Any moron could save up for a watch to put on his autistic wrist, kiddo. If you genuinely believe that a Rolex is some kinda chick-magnet, I'm fucking laughing.

superb post

>he thinks his leased GT86 is getting him pussy

Attached: 1522723237043.png (400x316, 176K)

Yep, that's Rolex pissing off poorfags for sure.

Look how they pretend that they don't want one.

Attached: cumslut.jpg (1280x766, 55K)

>retard goes out to the club to try to pick up girls
>drool slowly dripping down his chin, he flaunts his new rolex around attractive girls
>they look at him like the deformed freak he is and quickly move themselves away, trying not to make eye contact
>after an unsuccessful night of pussy magnetism, the retard walks to his car, tears rolling down his eyes to join the drool at the bottom of his chin
>"dduuuurrrr, was it too dark in da club? could dey not see my awezum roladex?"
>suddenly
>"AYO WHITE BOI, NICE WATCH YOU GOT THERE"
Being a Rolex retard is suffering.

Attached: rolexmodo.png (888x953, 661K)

>he thinks a rolex can get him pussy
Genuinely hilarious.

shit taste in watches and in girls? yikes.

>the seiko fags are sperging out again
?

Attached: 1528584255967.jpg (768x960, 46K)

>rolex retard SEETHING
It's amazing that you're taking bantz this seriously, dude. I'm just acknowledging that it was funny.

holy fucking im dying

Thinking that a watch can get you pussy is legitimately embarrassing, seikofags or not.

This was accurate right up until the part where the women walked away, Rolexes are such a chick magnet that they don't care if you're a total fucking retard sperg, that's how they manage to so massively increase the sex appeal of moderately-attractive men.

Paul Pluta normally is like a 4/10, but when he wears his Rolex Presidential he can get all the ladyboys he likes.

>Rolexes are such a chick magnet
it's a fucking watch lmao

Alright, how many of you dumb niggers are underage? I refuse to believe adults legitimately think watches get you pussy.

>people who buy seiko watches don't understand that women are attracted to social status and by extension money
>people who buy seiko don't understand that rolex is an indicator of high social status and by extension money
>people who buy seiko watches don't understand that this is a primal thing because they are looking for a mate who can look after them
>people who buy seiko watches are all virgins
I thought as much.

Attached: soyboy.jpg (4032x3024, 2.44M)

>people who buy rolexes are deformed delusional retards who think something attached to their limp wrist will solve their problems
I thought as much.

SEETHING

i've seen plenty of poor black people with rolexes. it's not hard to acquire a fucking watch. it's hard to acquire a mansion or a super expensive european car.

hahahahahahahhahahahhahaahhaha

Take a look at this right here:

youtu.be/S39paDGZ0Ew?t=192

Take a look at the disgusted expression on Eva Green's face there, she turns down JAMES FUCKING BOND because he couldn't afford a Rolex.

What makes you think if James Bond can't get Eva Green because he made the blunder of opting for an Omega that women are going to like you for your Seiko?

Attached: 1528582021963.gif (590x443, 943K)

>using a movie as proof
quit falseflagging, you asshole.

Best movie of the 21st century

You think it's particularly bad on the alpinist? Was planning on getting one but worried about ur pic related

Reminder that Rolex don't AR coat their crystals and no one complains.

>get some glare 1/1000 times you look at your watch
>twist your wrist an extra degree

me not have enough berries to trade for thing

other tribesman have thing

me mad because me cant have thing

Attached: dumbfuck.png (485x443, 24K)

anyone with a min wage job in a first world country can afford a rolex lol

If you can afford a Rolex why not prove it by posting yours?

>America isn't first world
>using the three world's model
ISHYDDT

I never read anyone discussing reflections of watches anywhere. I guess nobody gives a shit but to me it's pretty important.

>can
just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I want one. I prioritise other things

Attached: IMG_1100.jpg (612x612, 52K)

Unless you're trying to source a replacement crystal, crown, or date wheel (which is possible, though hard to do) replacing parts on a twin quartz is going to mean buying a donor watch.

Attached: 20180613_154908-2368x3456.jpg (2368x3456, 1.21M)

Attached: IMG_1101.jpg (960x960, 158K)

how would you phrase it in a concise manner then smartarse?

Attached: IMG_1215.jpg (652x676, 155K)

Post wrist game.

Attached: wristgame.jpg (640x640, 87K)

Attached: Men-Bracelets-Bangle-Anil-Arjandas-Jewelry-6mm-Black-CZ-Beads-24K-Rose-Gold-4mm-Round-Beads.jpg_640x (640x640, 135K)

The bottle compliments the set very well.

Attached: IMG_1123.jpg (1574x1574, 556K)

Wellington and beads

Attached: IMG_1102.jpg (1578x1578, 649K)

Actually I'm a total autist about crystal reflections. I've been annoyed for years that no one makes a dual AR sapphire for the SKX.

Dumb berrypicker.

I'll believe your retarded theory that ANYONE on minimum wage can afford a Rolex once I see this picture recreated but everyone in it is wearing a tracksuit instead of a suit jacket and they are drinking Stella Artois instead of champagne.

Attached: poorfag annoyer.jpg (728x700, 154K)

Teach me your autistic reflection musings pls

Attached: IMG_1124.jpg (728x700, 176K)

Attached: IMG_1233.jpg (800x800, 553K)

Well given that by definition first world are America, the UK, and their allies during the cold war. America is and all ways will be first world.
And I'm not too sure what you were trying to say? Countries with good social policies regarding minimum wage can all afford a Rolex on minimum wage?

Attached: IMG_1234.jpg (640x640, 88K)

First World
noun

the industrialized capitalist countries of western Europe, North America, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand.

Aka everywhere with a min wage that affords $10k annually