Ubuntu is no more the distro that "just works"

Ubuntu is no more the distro that "just works"
so many glitches and bugs

Can you suggest something that i can install on my work pc?

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 894K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
infoworld.com/article/3036600/linux/is-linux-mint-a-crude-hack-of-existing-debian-based-distributions.html
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian
infoworld.com/article/3182824/linux/is-linux-mint-a-secure-distribution.html
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180612.iso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gentoo

What Ubuntu flavour have you used?

i prefer doing my job than losing 1 day on meme distros

Void Linux

stock ubuntu 18.04/16.04
elementary os, mint

If you are used to Ubuntu and want stability over fresh packages Debian Stable is the way to go.

>""Stability""
> The most bug-ridden installer in existence

>stock ubuntu
Well, it's been shit for years, no wonder why you're pissed about it. Try a different Ubuntu flavour, it might not be what you're looking for but it's surely better than stock Ubuntu. I recommend Kubuntu 18.04 for decent or good hardware and Lubuntu 18.04 for low or old hardware.

Werks on all my machines.

Manjaro xfce, in all seriousness.

glitches like what

Mandriva

What linux distro would you suggest for a complete novice? ive mostly used macos, and ive never used anything other than GUI.

I know it used to be ubuntu, but it sounds like a lot of people think it went to shit. I heard mint was good, but it had a lot of security problems.

Attached: DLSPakI.jpg (1281x1920, 261K)

Just use KDE Neon. Don't waste your time with Ubuntu Flavors, Cannonical only supports the main repo and all other desktop enviroments are on universe so they are second-class citizen DE for Cannonical.
I would recommend Mint or eOS but the first one is an insecure meme and the last one is bugged as fuck.

Attached: 1526495723518.gif (512x288, 1.7M)

Let me get this straight. You're too stupid to get Ubuntu working, and you're wanting to know where to go from there? Windows or kill yourself.

Sounds like PEBKAC to be quite honest famalama.

Use arch if you have half a brain since it has the best wiki and a power autist army maintaining everything under the sun in the AUR. If you're too stupid for Ubuntu maybe try fedora or macOS

KDE Neon still stuck at 16.04. Into the trash it goes.

debian is stable and works great for me. I use it on both my laptop and desktop and never had any issues.

Unironically, Mint just werks.

it never worked, even debian is shitty as fuck, the only distributions that really works are debian and arch because you fucking choose how to install them.

>even debian is shitty as fuck
>the only distributions that really works are debian

wat

This basically, if stability is your number one concern Debian Stale, otherwise Go Testing for newer packages with slightly less stability.

Attached: 1528613479710.jpg (1024x675, 359K)

All other ubuntu based distro are on 16.04, you must wait.

Use the oldest LTS (14.04) until it expires, then move to the next (16.04) and repeat the process.

how do you know it's a meme, mate? you asked anons yet you don't trust them.

This.

Use mint

>macos
elementaryOS

elementaryOS = Ubuntu + fucked up repos

Not unless youre setting up a plex server. Mint is fucking wierd with that shit. Spent several hours trying everything to get my other devices to see it online, nothing worked. Installed Ubuntu, works instantly with no fixes or tinkering needed. Which sucks because I hate Ubuntu and love Mint.

Mint. Seriously mint. It's the only one that just works better than Ubuntu ever did and you'll be familiar with it coming from Ubuntu.

this

Manjaro is fucking stupid, follow the wiki or blindly type in the install commands from a YouTube video for arch. Once you install it, you're golden and Manjaro you have to deal with old and shitty packages that take ages to update

the only difference between stock ubuntu is the DE, just use the mini ISO if you want to pick, or install stock and then whatever DE meta package you want

i do this

not him, can you explain how thyere fucked up and how will it affect me?

Slackware

Manjaro + learn from Arch Wiki
OR
install gentoo (unironically)

Ubuntu works, it just has a bunch of bugs.

That's weird my xubuntu werkz.

If you can't install Arch or Gentoo you shouldn't be using Linux.

OpenSUSE Leap with KDE.

Attached: 1526257674443.jpg (734x558, 55K)

Reminder

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
infoworld.com/article/3036600/linux/is-linux-mint-a-crude-hack-of-existing-debian-based-distributions.html
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian
infoworld.com/article/3182824/linux/is-linux-mint-a-secure-distribution.html
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
zdnet.com/article/hacker-hundreds-were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backdoor/

If you're having issues with fucking Ubuntu, there's no hope for you.

Kubuntu is fine on pretty much any hardware. You just have to turn off compositing if your hardware is kind of old. It still comes in under 300mb RAM usage on every machine I've run it on. The only time it starts to eat resources is if you use chrome or Firefox, but that's pretty much any distro.

Debian or Trisquel.
Trisquel is based on Ubuntu but it's endorsed by the FSF

Trisquel

I have a chinkpad with i5 6200u and 4gb ram.
Is there anything that is stable and gives a 60fps desktop?

Attached: turkish_coffee.gif (220x330, 1014K)

Whoa dumb user, famalam
Whoa dumb user, famalam
Dumb user manchild, famalam
Autism run wild, famalam
He said "can't install ganoo", famalam
Damn thing won't boot, famalam
I said "oh, dumb user", famalam
Whoa dumb user, famalam

Kubuntu.
Ubuntu itself is still fine, it's just that Gnome shell is a complete and utter disaster.

60fps in what?

CloverOS

I use Gentoo at home and Ubuntu at work. Both are good at what they do.

emacs

Linux Mint

All the distros I've tried are like that now. I've tried Fedora,Debian,Arch,Opensuse, and Solus. They all have bizzare and unresolved bugs. The whole thing has become an overcomplicate mess. I started using Linux because windows was unmaintainable garbage. Now I've had the same windows install for 6 years and I can leave it on for weeks at a time. I use to be able to do that in Linux too. I had the same Ubuntu install for 3 years. I was very computer illiterate at the time. I didn't install updates for months at a time because I thought you had to always log into the admin account from the display manger. Nothing every broke. It was an old laptop at the time but it just flew. Now Linux didn't have that much software but the basic stuff you'd need like web browsers and video players worked very well. Redhat and The Gnome developers have absolutely raped Linux . And Linus and Richard did nothing but cheer them on the entire time. Shit is depressing really. I'm going to try Gentoo and see if it's any better but probably not. I'd switch to freebsd if it wasn't such a pain to get kde5 working.

Agree, Ubuntu 10.04 was solid, easy and super normie friendly. Even conviced some thots at my old workplace to install it because they loved the compiz effects. Also installed it in my moms PC that was a virus/malware fest since she would open every PowerPoint that came in the mail, never needed to maintain it afterwards. Lasted until some nigger broke into her house and stole it.
Now I cant seem to find a usable distro for something as basic as a media server.
BSD had tons of potential back in the Slackware days, but then OsX happened and devs jumped the ship.
Really sad senpai

That's exactly what I said u mongoloid

Which repo is KDE in?

They aren't. You have to install a package to add repos which is software-properties-common

I just want something without screen tearing out the ass.

Windows 7

mint

did you even read the thread

>BSD had tons of potential back in the Slackware days, but then OsX happened and devs jumped the ship.
Say what you want about the developers being cucks but the base operating system is just a thing of beauty.

I'd have to say in the Ubuntu 10.04 days linux really was a solid well made operating system if you only needed to do basic tasks. The only thing it needed was more hardware support and more software. Now I have this bizarre micro-stutter in desktop video applications that refuses to go away. Dragon player was the only one working correctly but I made the mistake of updating gstreamer and looks like it's been hit with the regression too. The only way to get rid of it is to switch to wayland which is a buggy pile of crap with no window previews. Before I had this issue linux was freezing whenever I transferred any files between hard drives or unzipped big files. Before that the operating system would slow to a crawl as soon as anything was put into swap. Before that I was getting random hard freezes for no reasons. Before that Pulseaudio would randomly disconnect my sound card and refuse to recognize it. These are the big issues there are dozes of small issues which remain regardless of the distro kernel or desktop. Which if you look on bug report sites have been there for like four years and haven't been fixed. The whole thing use to be plug and play. I installed the latest version of Ubuntu or Linux Mint and that was it. It never broke. I could always browse the web or watch videos or write documents with zero issues. Honestly I'm sick of people defending this piece of shit. Linux has turned to complete trash in the last like 5 years. Not to say that Windows 10 and the new OSX aren't unstable garbage because they are too.

Gnome Wayland and Kde Wayland have zero tearing by design. You can even turn off vsync in the compositor. There is absolutely zero tearing.

why i have no issue running ubuntu 18.04 with gnome as daily but every one does?

Luck

Really? InfoWorld clickbIt shit? Reminder, the Mint website isn't Mint.

Attached: computer science.jpg (2592x1936, 610K)

> (OP)
>why i have no issue running ubuntu 18.04 with gnome as daily but every one does?
No, it's fine. Everyone are being cucks even though the Rin Ubuntu too. Still like Mint better, on my hardware at least.

Lubuntu

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180612.iso

Attached: IMG_20180526_002801.jpg (2448x3264, 1.82M)

>I'd have to say in the Ubuntu 10.04 days linux really was a solid well made operating system if you only needed to do basic tasks
In retrospect, I could get shit done with 10.04 and hw issues where an easy fix, I even recorded decent demos with that rig with a low latency kernel and JACK, Ardour was simple and usable, now it's a clusterfuck.

Back in 2012 I started distro hopping, had an AMD gpu in my laptop, tried Fedora and it was unusable because video drivers, the sticky on their forum was basically "if you have AMD fuck you, get Nvidia", now it's the opposite.
I'm too old for this shit, so just went back to win7 since I have a legit key and just werks.

Hope someday loonix devs get their shit together. But considering Gnome 3 is finally usable and they're talking about releasing 4 is not very optimistic

I doubt it. There answer just seems to he to remake things when they have major problems. Everyone is mocking the gnome devs for how much of a cluster fuck it is at this point with awful perfot problems they aren't skilled enough to fix. So they'll scrap it come out with gnome4 with zero features that works better because it has no features and then it'll slow become another bloated mess is the hastly add basic stuff people need. The Xorg devs are doing it now with Wayland. The pulseaudio devs are coming out with a new API that isn't a laggy piece of crap called pipewire. They are all going to be missing basic features and I guarantee you in a decade they will be bloated and awful just like the "legacy" software they're replacing. The won't acknowledge that the way the developers software is the real problem.

I'm running Nvidia on Debian now, they DO make proprietary drivers you know?

Antergos
Debian
Void
OpenSUSE

What's broken about it? Xubuntu served me well, but I was sick of the lag (it was unresponsive as fuck, don't know why) so I installed Ubuntu MATE and it's pretty nice.

I'm a strong proponent of arch or debian. Debian's probably the easier to use

Had a similar lag experience with Ubuntu, I think it was either Unity or Nautalis. Either way, Mint slayed those dragons, and works great.

i'm using 18.04 without problems

probably pebkac

ubuntu is fine
most of the people here are just "hello world" and "fizzbuzz" experts repeating shit without even understanding it. don't listen to these retards and use the distro you fell comfortable with

that works until some packages are out of date.

i'm on 14.04 and the openconnect in the repos is out of date by two versions and I can't connect to my work's VPN. Have to boot into windows and use the cisco application

Why does Debian have so shitty defaults for everything?

Like? You can always do a minimal install.

not him, but nvidia proprietary are still shit. nouveau and proprietary both had screen tearing on multiple DEs.

i've gone from AMD to nvidia, and the only thing that solved screen tearing was integrated Intel GPU since they actually make decent open source drivers.

Yeah, but anything pre-2009 is considered "legacy" and those drivers are crap since they're not supported.
A TNT2 is legacy, a 8400s shouldn't be. At least Nouveau is decent, unless you want to use KDE of course

>Can you suggest something that i can install on my work pc?

If you aren't proficient enough with Linux to answer that yourself, instantly, putting a distro on your work machine may be questionable.

If you use a reliable host (Debian, Scientific Linux) then try different distros in VMs you won't have to reinstall and can work in any or many, and have Windows VMs for where that's convenient. There's no need for a pure bare metal install on most machines.

Newfag here

Why is Cinnamon one of the only desktop environments that doesn't look like complete dogshit? Xfce, Gnome, Unity; they all look terrible. MATE is decent but still not great.

Attached: 1430333641805.png (494x436, 328K)

Everything that uses apt is shit. Gentoo is literal autism. Arch is a meme. Manjaro/Antergos are memes for those with poor reading skills.... basically anything that isn't fedora, cent or suse is a waste of fucking time.

Deepin + blocking chinese telemetry ip = best debian based os possible

>muh opinion is important

debian

you're assuming ubuntu ever worked properly to begin with?
> pro-tip: it fucking never has worked properly.

This.
No sudo, two passwords, a lot of really weird accessibility tools.

Unity > KDE > XFCE > MATE > all other meme de

embarrassing opinions

Yes, it is

>really weird accessibility tools
probably because the distro is maintained by retards?

name plz

by default cinnamon is dogshit. thank goodness for themes. it helps slightly. once it isn't looking so fugly, it's quite great.

great comeback from a retarded turd shitting on other people's work
what have you done besides complaining? bw participation trophies doesn't count