Take the IDE red pill

For the last decade, I've thought Microsoft were shit at just about everything they attempted. However, that has changed:

I recently tried VS Code on a whim, and holy shit it is fucking EXCELLENT. It is without a doubt the best software M$ has ever made.

If you're using Atom or ST, drop what you're doing and give it a try. All of your extensions will exist on VSC's ecosystem, and you'll probably be able to transition fast.

t. mid-level backend dev

Attached: jEKFRPKV_400x400.jpg (400x400, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/51483
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It can't beat VIM

And it's about to get better with grid support motherfucker github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/51483

When did Microsoft finally pull its head out of its arse?

This makes me think the old Microsoft is mainly Ballmer's fault

It was, new guy went on a podcast and pointed out how the nokia acquisition was entirely spearheaded by ballmer when nobody else really wanted it.
Now they just seem to let devs do whatever they want, which in some situations is amazing (code), others like windows not so much due to all the heft.

it did, I leaved vim because of VScode, there is only one thing vim does better ... being an ncurses program.

>the only other IDE he tried are only Atom and Sublime Text
>reddit spacing
it always confirm the pattern

I know that feel, I was a vim-fag until I had to work with C# and was tired of learning bloated APIs, vim is so fucking slow for autocomplete with omnisharp, decided to install vscode for the lulz and fell in love. The termininal emulator its awesome.

Nobody is talking about IDEs you retard, VS is a text editor.

Wow you must be leet. Let me guess, emacs good sir?

no, notepad++

Yikes. I take back my previous statement...
It's somewhat ironic you're calling people out.

I write my code by chiseling it by hand into marble tablets.

>not using punch cards
work smarter not harder boi

Implying I will use another editor than glorious GNU Emacs.

>reddit spacing
Go back there since you knew it so much.

>not using Jetbrains IDEs

Jetbrain IDEs are slow and clunky.
That's the allure of VSC, it's on par with functionality but way less bloated.

What language do you use on your day to day job?

Golang. Used to be Py but we've ported the codebase since.

Yeah, Golang's tooling is sweet, the language, not so much. But you can totally code on your day to day job with it and nothing more. It's one of the reasons why I'm envious of Da Gopher (I code in Scala).

Attached: 1529407068941.jpg (1469x870, 199K)

Can't beat emacs.

Attached: 1513986325833.gif (400x267, 111K)

fucking retard, in the punched card era there were also text editors but punched cards were the PROM of that era.

more specifically: emacs in evil mode
My only gripe is I don't like supporting commies

Don't bother with these unenlightened plebs, they aren't even ready to wield the power of true autismacs.

Wow, it must be working hours in poojeet land. Poo-coins have been deposited into your Microsoft Live accounts...

Attached: 10671445-10100875034161430-8214548274339077176-n_j1pc.jpg (960x720, 217K)

>PROM
and what do you think they'd be if they were chiseled onto marble tablets, hmm?

Attached: htkvqoepg2r01.jpg (2048x1536, 176K)

If you didn’t learn to use a Morse key to create binary machine code before kindergarten you are a brainlet

look stupid kid, I am done with you, you type another millennial bullshit and I will find your real IP, then your home address, then gonna kill your mom and rape your dog.

>not debugging c in the womb

Attached: thumb.png (800x450, 359K)

VS Code is no IDE; it's a glorified text editor and only a mediocre one at that. Better than Notepad++ maybe, but that's like saying Google Documents is better than Wordpad. Maybe you just hate IDEs. In which case your DE is probably small enough to not need I. Which, good for you and all- I mean I certainly wouldn't want to maintain the integration of two dozen different development, deployment, and versioning components if I didn't have to- but we can't all be parties of one.

Emacs user here. Would I gain anything by switching to VS Code?
How fast is it in comparison?

you will get a job.

And you can get some epic killstreaks while you game. Windows bros be winning.

>It can't beat VIM
VS code with vim elmulation just might be the best thing that happened to editors

F

uck you

>Microshit
>Electron
>Spying as a feature
no.

>Not wanting an IDE that can have easy feature parity across platforms
VSC does a better job leveraging Electron than Atom.
Telemetry can be disabled in the options, if you're referring to anything else then [citation needed].

I don't give a shit about cross platform compatibility
Disabling telemetry still phones home to say that telemetry was disabled
I believe someone here made a thread about forking and cleaning out the spyware but it's still electron bloat so completely unusable

I'll stick to nvim or even geany over shit garbage

>leaved
>leaved
yeah no wonder you couldn't handle vim, brainlet faggot

>he develops on an IDE that uses its very own solution files ontop that cmake has to generate to be multi-platform
>he is the cuckgrammer

bumping you fucks
take the Geany IDE pill

>Nobody is talking about IDEs you retard
>Take the IDE red pill on subject
nigger
>VS is a text editor
Of course an IDE can edit text
i use geany and vim
seriously though, i just discovered the term because other anons are calling it out, and somehow "reddit spacing" surprisingly means the poster has some degree of retardation

What's with the MS shilling?

Not that there's anything wrong with vs code, I use it myself, but I've noticed a shitload of MS threads lately.

Oh you're one of those faggots.
The dude was literally using an insider version, the insider version OBVIOUSLY is going to phone home regardless because they need that telemetry for the fucking test version.

Got anymore retarded claims you want to bring up?

The problem I have with Vim is that it sucks when you have to use a project with multiple files in different directories and I can't be bothered fiddling around trying to add a plugin which is most likely going to be inferior to an actual project tree in other text editors like Atom and VS Code. Also I type with the colemak keyboard which sucks with Vim's default keybindings.

Just use vim you fucking children

How does using :tabe suck?

true

Attached: get rekt cunt.png (753x623, 24K)

I'm talking about the project tree showing you the project layout and the convenience of moving through it and opening files at a whim. I work with large projects where using something like vanilla Vim isn't ergonomic.

search for projectile for autismacs. and evil-mode.
see the light

Kys and end your pain senpai

Nah, I can't. I am already comfy in VS code and can't be bothered moving. I already told I use Colemak anyway which I am too used to using that I can't go back to using qwerty anymore. Colemak is actually very nice to use once you get used to it.

why would you not just fucking use VIM if you're going through the trouble of emulating it.
fucking evem windows has gVim and Vim (or at least Vi) exists on ever Unix system ever.

They still don't really let devs do what they want with Windows because they want the least work for the most "new and exciting" features and without breaking old features regardless of how cobbled together it ends up looking. See: the state of the Control Panel and Start Menu 5 YEARS after Windows 8 introduced the new Settings panel. It's still totally fucked. Blame poor management, not the devs themselves.

vscodevim and ideavim to be more precise

VS Code is great, enjoy your productivity boost and ignore the memes

advice on this Jow Forums is generally shit, I guess it's because most people here are l33t h4x0rs using vim to write fizzbuzz with their mechanical keyboards

Please try KDevelop senpai.

Because it has shitty autocomplete support.
Ever used youcompleteme? Pain in the ass to setup and requires a lot of manual work.
Also debugging is awesome in vscode while in vim it doesn't exist (as far as I know).
Also having a lot of plugins in vim made it really slow for me.

> Hey user, why do you use vim?
> - because it lets me to write more with pushing less buttons, also more quickly
> Why don't you use something with autocompletion and debugging while using the same vim keybindings?
> - fuck you, vim is the best, I'll type it out myself bitch
It's ironic really. Also typing gdb commands is somehow better instead of seeing all variables, call stack, current line in one window

i think most of microsoft's products are garbage, especially visual studio, which is a blight, but i really like vscode. as far as i know if you build from source instead of downloading a binary from MS, it doesn't even have the telemetry endpoints set

Could've been a nice editor if it was written in C or C++ using native apis.

Vscode, .net and office are the only things microsoft did right.

You do realize how much time that would take? Vscode was unusable shit for the first 1.5 - 2 years. Now consider they had to handle random memory leaks, various native toolkits and overall more involved ui building.
It would have been abandoned a long time ago.
Yes it uses the retarded cancer that is electron but it still manages to be quite fast and unobtrusive while you work.

How could it be better than Atom?

Visual Studio is better anyway

Faster than atom.

I'd pay for VSC but native. I mean fuck, used sublime for the longest time but it just lagged so far behind. Unfortunately, don't think that's going to happen as they've gone the cross-platform route.

This is what you get when you take curry in muscle.

Is that the major reason?

I guess I just like Atom's layout more.

they're identical layout wise (excluding extensions/customization)

Debugging, autocompletion. Not sure how those things work in atom, haven't used it in a while. I tried dislike it only because it's so fucking slow, even without any plugins

Oh and vim emulation in atom was shit lst time I tried it, that was the dealbreaker.

I'll continue to use spacemacs, but thanks "developer"