I have a Dell Vostro 230 with an intel Core 2 Duo E7500

I have a Dell Vostro 230 with an intel Core 2 Duo E7500

What should I do with it?

Attached: dell_vostro_230_front_angle.jpg (600x480, 19K)

Install gentoo

Install Debian Netinstall

771 Xeon mod if it can and use it as a file server

Perhaps. It was running Debian stable

Perhaps

I was thinking of upgrading the CPU to something better, but I need to see what the best possible CPU it can take is. Maybe will make a sleeper build.

I just completely gutted it and washed the case and front panel, so it looks brand new.

>Buy a cheap Q9650 cpu + a 60gb ssd from china and watch that baby fly. I did it with an Optiplex for some reason. Good back up to have lying around.

>how do I greentext

So if the socket is LGA775 does that mean I can use any CPU compatible with that socket, regardless of what the motherboard is? Does dell typically have hardware whitelists I need to worry about?

The Dell Vostro 230 specs say quad core G41 chipset. You're good. DDR3 too. I don't know about the Vostro but you probably won't be able to change things like the cooler. Dell lock that shit down. PSU can be changed I suppose.

I don't know why I yellowtext'd (use tomorrow you buffoon)

I have this exact same computer with the exact same processor. Got it from the office ecycling bin 2 years ago, does well as a Poorfag HTPC. It'll do 1080p just fine.

I'm not sure how well it will run Windows 10 though. My friend upgraded his old E8400 from Windows 7 Home to Win10 and it went from being pretty sprightly to a total dog.

Nice, I got it for free from my mom, who got from someone at her office.

Maybe I will buy a used Xeon x3370 and buy a GPU and do an emulation, low end gaming type thing. I don't really have a use for a server though.

Intel GMA is pretty bad though, get a cheap GPU like HD 6450 or GT 730 just for DX11 support if you're using Windows.

Honestly with a Xeon and a half-decent graphics card you can get a pretty good budget gaming rig going. Assuming the shit power supply can handle it; you may want to just get a $25 400W EVGA off Amazon because the ones Dell use are utter trash.

Shit thought this was a small form factor pc, just get a 750ti or something and max out the ram.

And then what

replace the shitty hard drive with an SSD, install elementary or something else, and enjoy a nice fast extra computer.

That’s it. Just enjoy it

tape how you blow it up and upload it to yt

I would never commit such an unspeakable crime against PC-humanity

Replace the E7500 with a Q6600, slap a BSEL on it, if not: Bargain hunt for cheap RAM and fill it out to 8GB at least.

wouldn't a Q9650 be better than a Q6600