Desktop Operating Systems

I decided to use all of the 3 main desktop operating systems for a period of 3 months each just to see what worked best out of interest.
I thought I might as well share what I found here and maybe generate some discussion on the state of desktop computing in general.

Windows Pros:
>does mostly just werk
>best software support
>best file manager by far
Windows Cons:
>vast amounts of data collection that cannot be disabled
>clusterfuck of UPW/W32 design and features (e.g. transparency, some stuff updating through store others not, icons all over the place)
>plagued by little things trying to push you to use Microsoft's services (Sign in with Microsoft for more security, "trusted" Microsoft apps, "reccomended" browser etc.)
>have to install everything from an uncentralized sources and random mirrors
>have to install proprietary software for what should really work OOTB

macOS Pros:
>does literally just werk
>looks very nice and consistent out of the box
>surpsingly intuitive once you learn how it works
macOS Cons:
>gimped by shitty hardware
>non-apple peripherals work like shit (mouse scrolling in particular)
>finder lacks a lot of what you'd expect to see (e.g. cut and paste)
>creates a bunch of extra files that makes hidden folder view a pain in the ass to use

GNU/Linux Pros:
>very customizable
>fantastic package managers make aquiring and updating software very safe and convenient
GNU/Linux Pros:
>no media thumbnails
>no good file manager (e.g. can't set zoom on a directory basis)
>have to fix a bunch of shit before its even remotely usable (e.g. screen tearing)
>random problems with things that should not be problems (shutting down not working, restart hanging)
>many FLOSS alternatives are just shit compared to their propriatary equivalent (I'm sorry, but LibreOffice falls into this category)
>vertical scrolling very slow in some applications for seemingly no reason

Basically, they're all shit, but for different reasons.

Attached: os.jpg (1280x720, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

smoothscroll.net/mac/).
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That was supposed to be cons on the second GNU/Linux list, I clearly didn't proofread it properly.

I hope it won't take too long until I can run everything under a Linux hypervisor at comfortable ease of use and near native performance. Preferably with window manager integration so I could just mix and match programs from different VMs.

What distro did you use for the comparison? What file managers did you test?

Xubuntu and Arch. Xubuntu was actually my main OS, so that was really used for several years, arch for a couple of weeks purely out of interest.
File managers were Thunar, Nautilus (and its many forks) and PCManFM.

They are all shit but Winblows work the best.
fuck

Attached: no_u.png (128x128, 11K)

What does a file manager need to able to do, before you'd call it good? With Nemo you have an adjustable default zoom level, but you can also set it individually for each directory.

As much as I hate to admit it, for general usability day to day it has worked the best, and that's coming from someone who used Xubuntu for years. As I said though, its still got many problems, and I imagine some of them, like the UWP/W32 divide are only going to get worse.

I liked how snappy Thunar was, but you can't save zoom on a directory basis, and the window position on screen is not saved and resets every time.
Nautilus is buggy as fuck on XFCE and is seemingly a known issue, but it hasn't been fixed for months. It also looks really inconsistent because its from Gnome and has a crappy transparency affect unlike everything else. Mind you, Windows now also suffers from this.
Also, the file picker is terrible. I know its basically a meme at this point, but once you've used the one on macOS/Windows, how bad it really truly is is evident.

I work with all three on a daily basis and for my use cases macos is the most broken shit.
Are the other two flawless? Absolutely not. But macos has lots of bugs, is slow af and is overall annoying and time consuming to use. You do things exactly the same way 3 times, it works only once.
It feels like every day Apple adds a new even more ridiculous error than yesterday.

The restart hanging is a known issue with Arch, it happens because they always find a way to fuck up the default configuration

I get what you mean about time consuming, but in terms of bugs nothing really stood out.

That actually happened with Xubuntu, repeatedly, both on shutdown AND restart. It was actually the main motivator to do this "experiment" in the first place. An operating system shouldn't fuck up something so basic.

>using wangblows 10

>surpsingly intuitive once you learn how it works
Everything you say goes into the trash. Thanks for letting us know you don't think before typing.

You don't need to try so hard to fit in.

>i disagree with one point so let me just disregard the rest
Are you retarded? I've literally listed more cons than pros for it.

"MAC OS" doesn't have a "gimped by shitty hardware" it's a fucking OS, idiot.

linux "just works" too. anything ubuntu related and even these days debian, anything red hat, etc all just werk
on nvidia gpu you just check 1 box and never have screen tearing on any *nix OS
w10 has worse vertical scrolling by default
windows has more shutdown not working & restart hanging issues

There aee many DEs out there, you should include all major flavors of Ubuntu and then decide

I know its an OS, and its an OS that is gimped by shitty hardware.
Linux, being the OS that I used/use for 4+ years, I reckon I have enough experience to tell you that it does not "just werk" as much when compared to the other two. I needed to fix screen tearing by editing xorg config file, and even that didn't solve it on everything until I tweaked another option. Obviously your mileague may vary, but the second fucking line of the OP is "what I found".
Win10's scrolling is far, FAR better than macOs's with non apple hardware. There is a reason there is additional software to fix this (smoothscroll.net/mac/).
Also, in the 3 months of Windows usage, I have not hard a single restart/shutdown issue.

I've tried XFCE, GNOME (worst by far), KDE, Cinnamon and LXDE. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

>needed to fix tearing by editing xorg
or you can just click a check box
retard

On an AMD GPU? No you can't on an AMD GPU, fuck off.

Windows LTSB gets rid of all of the bloat.

You can just use wayland there is no screen tearing by design.

I never mentioned bloat in my post for precisely that reason, not to mention PowerShell commands can take care of it as well.

The only major distro supporting it properly dropped support for it. I'll try it again in a few years.

are drivers on w7 and w10 different?
how to get rid of w7 and w10 botnet?

Yes and you can't.

just ticking the box in nvidia-settings didn't actually work for me because it added the CompositionPipeline entries as metamodes. maybe this only happens because i use 2 monitors, but i had to erase those entries in xorg.conf and replace them with a single CompositionPipeline entry in the Device section of my GPU.

i think linux is mostly fine but the nvidia drivers are a steaming pile of shit.

I'm using it on OpenSuse tumblweed. There are no window previews and windows sometimes shrink when you minimize them but otherwise it now works fine in KDE5. Gnome works well for a lot of thing but some stuff just refuses to start like virtual box. All around it's pretty usable now. You just have to get the latest release because it's going through rapid development. It was terrible on gnome just last week for me. The mouse would jerk all over the screen. Completely fixed now. A rolling distro is a must for wayland.

That's just GTK being a piece of shit. Many applications, such as firefox offer adjustable scrolling speed by themselves, but those that don't are fucked.
Qt doesn't have this problem.

It was actually web browsers where I noticed this, and I was using the Firefox workaround at the time.

>have 4 monitors
>never have seen tearing
>watch video 24/7

hmm

but why, i can block connections like sending packets to ms.TM, right user?

There's various pieces of evidence out there that suggest that doesn't really work.
You'd have to do it on the router level.

On chromium, there is the SmoothScoll extension, which also solves this problem.

Trust me, I've tried it, and it doesn't even work properly on all sites.

Works for me. And if those extensions don't work, there's still imwheel.
Or just use Firefox.

imwheel goes back to the point about Linux generally not "just werking" and Firefox has got worse with each release. ESR is alright for the most part.

Everything worked out of the box for me when I installed Manjaro on my T420, except the Mic Mute button. I had to assign XF86AudioMicMute to amixer sset Capture toggle and that was it. Not much of a hassle if you ask me.

the multimonitors was just my hypothesis because i can't think of any other reason nvidia's own control panel would set it incorrectly. i was running with compton + ForceCompositionPipeline ticked (so there were 1 metamode per monitor) until i was advised to ditch compton, and instead manually set the CompPipeline as a Device Option in xorg.conf

user, its a T420. Its known for its fantastic and well above average Linux support and I think its rather unfair to use that as a basis for comparison.

>Basically, they're all shit, but for different reasons.
This is the same general conclusion I've come to. I've been using OpenSUSE Leap because at least with this you get thumbnails out of the box, even in Firefox, and the KDE file picker is pretty decent. It also does mobile power management better out of the box than any other distro I've tried.

Attached: 1521804454985.png (205x246, 10K)

because nvidiots are all they have to c0de their shitty drivers

unplug Ethernet cable

Had a similar experience with my dell E6420 just needed proprietary nvidia drivers

>He didn't try dolphin

I said in some other post that I briefly tried KDE, so have "technically" tried, it but not enough to bother listing.
What does it actually do better than the rest? I might try it.

you beat me too it
how could you not have tried dolphin? its easily the best FM (even better than window imo) has everything that u mentioned under "cons of GNU/Linux" ie. thumbnails/previews, you can zoom, has an amazing split view for working in two folders at once

>GNU/Linux Cons:
>>no media thumbnails
what shitty file manager were you using? most have thumbnails
>>no good file manager (e.g. can't set zoom on a directory basis)
dolphin
>>have to fix a bunch of shit before its even remotely usable (e.g. screen tearing)
its arch what did you expect
>>random problems with things that should not be problems (shutting down not working, restart hanging)
arch is known to do this
>>many FLOSS alternatives are just shit compared to their propriatary equivalent (I'm sorry, but LibreOffice falls into this category)
libreoffice has the exact same functionality as word you idiot
>>vertical scrolling very slow in some applications for seemingly no reason
again, your fault your using arch

Does it have support for non-broken mkv thumbnails and embedded art?
Not being snarky, genuinely curious.

Mind posting the power shell commands?

Alright so i know this isn't exactly what this thread was intended for but what Linux distro would you recommend for me. i have an RX 480 so drivers are obviously important. i like the look of Debian so something similar to that would be nice

>gives findings and states results and opinions
"Kys op u don't know what ur talking about"

Attached: 1507950440165.png (327x137, 57K)

>what shitty file manager were you using?
I've already said in the thread. Scroll up a bit.
>its arch what did you expect
I've already said this wasn't on Arch.
>libreoffice has the exact same functionality as word you idiot
t. has never extensively used word
They literally have an official table that shows what features they lack/gain compared to Word on their Wiki.
>again, your fault your using arch
Again, your fault for not reading the thread, this wasn't on Arch and I only used Arch for a few weeks, idiot.

HowToGeek have an article that shows all of them, literally Google it, its one of the top results for removing them.

I can't say I didn't expect it to some extent going into it, but I think most people like and are just genuinely retarded.
Most of the discussion is sensible and fine, and I think I've done an alright job at being balanced and fair.

>Windows Pros:
>>does mostly just werk
subjective
>>best software support
>>best file manager by far
subjective
>Windows Cons:
>>vast amounts of data collection that cannot be disabled
>>clusterfuck of UPW/W32 design and features (e.g. transparency, some stuff updating through store others not, icons all over the place)
>>plagued by little things trying to push you to use Microsoft's services (Sign in with Microsoft for more security, "trusted" Microsoft apps, "reccomended" browser etc.)
>>have to install everything from an uncentralized sources and random mirrors
>>have to install proprietary software for what should really work OOTB
>macOS Pros:
>>does literally just werk
subjective
>>looks very nice and consistent out of the box
subjective
>>surpsingly intuitive once you learn how it works
subjective
>macOS Cons:
>>gimped by shitty hardware
>>non-apple peripherals work like shit (mouse scrolling in particular)
>>finder lacks a lot of what you'd expect to see (e.g. cut and paste)
>>creates a bunch of extra files that makes hidden folder view a pain in the ass to use
>GNU/Linux Pros:
>>very customizable
>>fantastic package managers make aquiring and updating software very safe and convenient
>GNU/Linux Pros:
>>no media thumbnails
false
subjective
>>have to fix a bunch of shit before its even remotely usable (e.g. screen tearing)
>what is ubuntu
>>random problems with things that should not be problems (shutting down not working, restart hanging)
>>many FLOSS alternatives are just shit compared to their propriatary equivalent (I'm sorry, but LibreOffice falls into this category)
subjective

nice list faggot

>I thought I might as well share what I found here
>"Why are you being subjective?!?!?!!"
Fucking retard.

not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised
I personally use ranger (terminal FM)

All operating systems are shit. From that point, just choose the best shit for you.

Attached: 9Vugrm2.gif (500x281, 552K)

There was an old fix for thumbnails that used to work, and then that stopped working for whatever reason.
To be fair though, Windows does need 3rd party software for the embedded art, and on macOS it only works on some filetypes, FLAC not being one of them, which is shit.

> i didn't use arch
>Xubuntu and Arch. Xubuntu was actually my main OS, so that was really used for several years, arch for a couple of weeks purely out of interest.
File managers were Thunar, Nautilus (and its many forks) and PCManFM.
it really sucks having short term memory doesn't

Clearly you've never messed with the Dolphin file manager. Folder view can be configured to work globally or individually. As for tearing, that's just an Nvidia problem because they removed a hardware feature, necessitating a flipping compositor.

Why I don't see OpenBSD? Explain yourself user.

I created an improved list

Windows Pros:
>best software support
Windows Cons:
>vast amounts of data collection that cannot be disabled
>clusterfuck of UPW/W32 design and features (e.g. transparency, some stuff updating through store others not, icons all over the place)
>plagued by little things trying to push you to use Microsoft's services (Sign in with Microsoft for more security, "trusted" Microsoft apps, "reccomended" browser etc.)
>have to install everything from an uncentralized sources and random mirrors
>have to install proprietary software for what should really work OOTB

macOS Pros:
macOS Cons:
>gimped by shitty hardware
>non-apple peripherals work like shit (mouse scrolling in particular)
>finder lacks a lot of what you'd expect to see (e.g. cut and paste)
>creates a bunch of extra files that makes hidden folder view a pain in the ass to use

GNU/Linux Pros:
>very customizable
>fantastic package managers make aquiring and updating software very safe and convenient
GNU/Linux Cons:
>have to fix a bunch of shit before its even remotely usable (e.g. screen tearing)
>random problems with things that should not be problems (shutting down not working, restart hanging)

I said that those issues did not occur on Arch you dumb fuck, learn to read.

As per the advice of a few anons on this thread, that is my plan for this weekend.
Still, all my other points hold true.

Trust me, I'm planning on giving it a go at some point.

I don't really see the point of doing that, the whole point was that it was based on my experiences, not those of others, so editing it to remove shit just because YOU dislike it is retarded.

no its not because I dislike it, it is because it is subjective and misleading

Might as well just read , same thing applies to you.

you should be sharing objective truths not subjective bs

The second line of this thread explains how I am sharing my own experiences that I've had with the operating systems that I used for several months.
If you don't like it you're more than welcome to fuck off.

your such a subjective piece of shit rajesh

>rajesh
>mostly used linux

>instal polkit
>poweroff/restart work
I'm running Arch on core 2 duo, haswell xeon and ryzen 5

how do I get that feature you described?

>>no media thumbnails
You can have media thumbnails.
Ranger is better than any other file manager.
It's adding one command to one file.
Your own fault.
Yawn.
Your fault.

Oh boy, here we go again.

>You can have media thumbnails.
mkv thumbnails don't display correctly, embedded album art doesn't work.
>Ranger is better than any other file manager.
Will try at some point, I'm always open to new software, hence why I did this in the first place.
>It's adding one command to one file.
No it wasn't, I addressed this somewhere else on the thread, and that was only one example.
>Your own fault.
Its my fault that when I click restart it shoots up to 100% fan usage and hangs? As I've also said, this wasn't on some fucked up Arch config, rather Xubuntu.
>Yawn.
Very subjective, I know, but I am writing about what I thought.
>Your fault.
Some other user actually gave the reason for this in the thread, it has something to do with GTK being shit. Scroll up if you want. Once again, not my fault.

Dolphin doesn't do video thumbnails

Attached: 2018-06-19-203223_262x276_scrot.png (262x276, 12K)

Just sounds to me like you're using an OS you don't properly understand and you're getting bad results. And stop saying "Xubuntu". It's Ubuntu with XFCE.

>os literally doesn't work in some parts
>i-i-its your fault!
Fuck off. Also, Xubuntu is literally the name of the distro and I will keep using it, like it or not.
I don't even know why you're acting like such a generic Linux elitist, I've picked flaws with the other two main operating systems as well.

Also, if you actually read the thread before making a stupid reply, you would realize I've ran Linux for 4+ years before doing this in the first place.

>Also, Xubuntu is literally the name of the distro
No it is not a distro. The distro is Ubuntu. XFCE is a DE.
>I don't even know why you're acting like such a generic Linux elitist, I've picked flaws with the other two main operating systems as well.
Because those have a default configuration that you are not recommended to change.

Yes it does. Right out of the box. Totem provides the function for gtk based file mangers too. Since gnome comes with totem it also has thumbnails out of the box. What trash distro are you using?

Attached: lyingmicroshill.png (504x229, 18K)

>you would realize I've ran Linux for 4+ years before doing this in the first place.
That doesn't mean you know how to use it.

>No it is not a distro.
So a derivative is not a distro now? You're an idiot.
>Because those have a default configuration that you are not recommended to change.
How is that relevant to that point?

Yes, things randomly breaking on a fresh install are my own fault.
I hate this shitty Jow Forums mentality. No one is willing to acknowledge what they use just MIGHT have some flaws with it, and instead just blame the end user.

Ok then. No problem using Lubuntu on a Gateway 8510GH, Acer AOD257, Dell Optiplex Pentium 4, HP Pavilion Dual Core. Like said I needed to use the proprietary drivers for my Nvidia card on my old custom built PC. Been using Linux since 2013, not much into the whole distro-hopping thing. When I find something that works I stick to it.

I've also had pretty good success with Lubuntu on older machines, with some issues with tearing/drivers here and there.
My point was that Linux has a tendency to "just werk" less, at least based on my experience.

>So a derivative is not a distro now? You're an idiot.
It's not a derivative, it's just Ubuntu with a different default DE.
>How is that relevant to that point?
You're comparing operating systems that have an intended design to one that does not.
>Yes, things randomly breaking on a fresh install are my own fault.
I'm sure things just randomly broke. Couldn't possibly have been your own fault for not knowing how to fix things right.

I'm running KDE Neon (latest kde) and it doesn't have video thumbnails.

>It's not a derivative
>ubuntu wiki literally calls it a derivative
ok retard
>You're comparing operating systems that have an intended design to one that does not.
user, saying "Linux has no design" is hardly a strong argument, and individual distros clearly do have their own intended designs, compare LM to Arch for example.
>Couldn't possibly have been your own fault for not knowing how to fix things right.
Fuck me, there is so much wrong with this.
First of all, fresh install. Boot into it, click restart, hangs at 100% fan usage. All I had done up to that point is install the damn thing with the installer, literally nothing else.
Also, if the operating system breaks, its your own fault for not being able to fix it? What shitty mentality is that? The OS is supposed to work for the user, not the other way round.

Software developer: macOS
Scientists: Linux
Everything else: Windows

>The OS is supposed to work for the user, not the other way round.
Maybe you should tell that to M$, their OS does not work for the user, it works mostly to generate telemetry data and phone home.

Heh, I was going to make a joke about that, but I was talking more from a usability point of view anyhow.

>ok retard
The retard is the one who cares what Ubuntu's wiki thinks.
>user, saying "Linux has no design" is hardly a strong argument, and individual distros clearly do have their own intended designs
Not the ones cobbled together like Ubuntu+XFCE.
>First of all, fresh install. Boot into it, click restart, hangs at 100% fan usage. All I had done up to that point is install the damn thing with the installer, literally nothing else.
Obviously your hardware was not fully supported by your kernel. You should have been aware of that.
>The OS is supposed to work for the user, not the other way round.
You are supposed to have some level of competency to run it.

>I like how you dismiss a source because it proves you wrong.
It's because they have a vested interest in making you download separate disc images, rather than including multiple DEs on the one installer.

Because ur mum gey.

>The retard is the one who cares what Ubuntu's wiki thinks.
I like how you dismiss a source because it proves you wrong.
>Not the ones cobbled together like Ubuntu+XFCE.
They literally have an about page that goes over what their design view is.
>Obviously your hardware was not fully supported by your kernel. You should have been aware of that.
Mate, you're making Linux look worse than it actually is here. I'm running an i5/RX480, if that's not supported, well...
>You are supposed to have some level of competency to run it.
This shitty generic elitism again. Not even an argument, and you will obviously just dismiss anything I say as "hurr durr still not good enough".

>It's because they have a vested interest in making you download separate disc images, rather than including multiple DEs on the one installer.
Why would Ubuntu have an interest in getting people to use something that is not main Ubuntu, y'know, the one that actually makes Canonical money?

>Mate, you're making Linux look worse than it actually is here. I'm running an i5/RX480, if that's not supported, well...
I said your kernel didn't support it, retard. Compile a custom one.
>Why would Ubuntu have an interest in getting people to use something that is not main Ubuntu, y'know, the one that actually makes Canonical money?
They all make Canonical money.

>I said your kernel didn't support it, retard. Compile a custom one.
>just compile your own kernel lol
Fuck me, that's the argument you're going with?
>They all make Canonical money.
They only sell support for Ubuntu though, and that's their main source of revenue I'd assume. You're full of shit.

Also, I'm going to bed in like 10 minutes, so if you want me to give you another (You) you better respond quickly.

>Fuck me, that's the argument you're going with?
It's a very simple fix.
>that's their main source of revenue
Retard.

first three coms for linux can easily be fixed with KDE
random problems are literally a "werks on my machine" case. Can't be solved without giving specifics

>Basically, they're all shit, but for different reasons.

I like you.

Windows: not free, lots and lots of software, some customization, botnet
GNU/Linux: free, no lots of software, full customization, not a botnet
macOS: expensive, even less software, no customization, botnet

My problem with Linux right now that doesn't have a solution is the complete lack of mouse control options. I'm talking there is no software for fine tuning mouse acceleration, thought it exists, as well as an absolute lack of scroll wheel acceleration.

Scroll wheel acceleration can be enabled independently within Firefox, but it should absolutely be a system wide thing.

>compiling your own kernel is a nice and easy fix!
Retard.
>Retard.
Nice argument, feel free to look for yourself.

At least I know you have nothing else worth sharing and I don't feel bad one bit for going to bed.

T-thanks.

I personally didn't find it to be an issue, but then again I never really tweaked mouse settings much apart from disabling acceleration.