Xeon

Who here uses pic related? What does your current setup look like with it?
What do you use it for?
Is it meeting your needs, or are you planning on upgrading?
I'm thinking of buying a Xeon W3690 to replace my current W3550 but am not sure if it's worth it. They still go for like 130 Canadian pesos.

Attached: e7287943adec596e852b2c05702ebfd0-764-585.png (764x585, 380K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SDNctFMqw5U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Would be using it for video editing and rendering, in addition to the occasional gayming.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-19-16-26-46.png (1440x2560, 970K)

Isn't worth it anymore since Ryzen. The mainboards are outdated, old (used = worn off) and expensive as fuck, even if you get the CPUs cheap. Go Ryzen for normal use, Threadripper for heavy multitasked rendering. TR is both faster for multi and singlethread.

I have a dual Xeon setup with 2x5650 and use it for video/3d model rendering. Fits my use case and I have no regrets except for the power bill.
Gaming sucks, tho. Games don't go any better on so many cores.
Rendering small projects on an i7 and gaming on the same rig is better than a multipurpose Xeon.
That's my 2 cents. Have fun, user

X5675 here, I feel like a grandpa nowadays but things are still running OK for me.
Hopefuly ram prices go down a good amount and I can make a new PC.
Only things I upgraded over the years were a new SSD, HDD and from 2 570 to a 970 then a 1070ti.

I have this weird thing where I always blow a lot of money on a PC then try to make it last 10 years so this time it will end up being one of those full retard 30 core ones.
Probably dumb as fuck but I feel like I get my money's worth if I buy something high end and it lasts a long time.

>except for the power bill

that's a big except

Totally. If I wasn't monetising my renders, I would pretty much let them run slower on a processor for normal people.

but it probably stops feeling so good once you reach year 4-5 and laptops start outperforming your giant shitbox

yeah, or just buy Ryzen
actually
just buy Ryzen

Attached: hx082DG3TVg.jpg (1280x720, 103K)

How's ryzen? Don't give me benchmark crap.
Give me a "I feel it's this way" opinion, please, regarding ryzen TR vs dual Xeon setups

Oh that's not even an argument man I know how tech progresses but things are working fine still.
I only have started having some "slow downs" when doing some lightmapping and stuff hence why I started to consider a new setup.
I'm weird I like to buy a good car too and use it for a long time instead of multiple shitboxes.

For a daily driver the 6c 12t at 4.3ghz are still doing alright tho since that's kinda the mid range nowadays right.

if you're building a PC right now, its Ryzen/TR over dual Xeon any day
it's just better, less heat, less power draw, less potential noise, future upgrade-ability, etc.

W5580 user here, in an old Dell T3500. Does what I need it to, and when it doesn't I can always slap a Westmere in there and get two more cores.

I'm this guy
Not actually building. Just curious as fuck. Been reading a lot on new ayymd and it's quite interesting clock wise.
The clock on the tr is almost twice of what I have right now.
Tempting.
Will take your word for it. Maybe next month I'll throw away some pesos

W3550 owner bro
Make a bigger jump unless you're a collector

Thanks for the interest in this thread.
A little more info for the people telling me it's not worth it.
I got a free HP Z400 workstation from work, which I want to make my primary desktop, replacing an old potato I have.
The system runs fine as it sits. It had 12 gigs of 3 channel ram which I think is fine for me now.
If I can put the best cpu in this socket and get decent performance gains that'll last me 3-4 years while paired with a good gpu, then I'll be quite happy.
If I make a new build, it'll cost me a fortune for a board, cpu, ram, psu and case. That's why I'm thinking if I can upgrade this cpu, by the time I want to upgrade again, maybe the prices of everything will have dropped because of the new tech releases.

Attached: 1528849351211.jpg (2048x1536, 1.14M)

Mine is z800. If I'm not mistaken it's socket B and the fastest you can get for it is an i7 990, which is still good.
Shame it can't be over locked from bios because HP. Sw overclock works tho.

someone has an X48 Chipset? Is it possible to adapt to work with a xeon5460?

Attached: ImgW.ashx.jpg (600x600, 127K)

>Shame it can't be over locked from bios because HP.
I've heard this before, shame.
>Sw overclock works tho.
I've never heard of this, I've never overclocked anything before. Can you give me some more info about this please.

Try Intel XTU if you're on windows. On Linux idk of any solution

Just got a X5650 in the mail today. Upgrading from an i7 930 @ 3.8GHz. Got this build in 2011 and not planning on getting a new one in the next 2 years, unless something stops working. Paired with a 1070 this Xeon will last me a long time since all I do is gaming and light multitasking. Haven't tested the Xeon yet but I'm definitely going to overclock it.

When are you planning on installing it? I'm very curious to hear how it does with gaming. A few guys from work play Fortnite, which I would also like to start playing of this system can run it. Do you think this will bottleneck a system enough to stop me from playing 1080p @60 fps minimum?

Im probably doing it later this evening, but I'm not sure. Well, if your concern is only Fortnite, don't worry. Even my i7 930 can handle it without overclocking at 1440p on the highest settings, it's more about the GPU. There are a lot of videos on YouTube of guys gaming with this xeon.
youtu.be/SDNctFMqw5U

> Canadian pesos
You make me KEK so hard.

Attached: 1525641745863.gif (374x400, 877K)

Dual Sandy Bridge-EP here. Having 16 cores kicking around is great for video rendering, running multiple VMs, and making /v/babbies jelly when they see my Speccy. For single-threaded use they're no better than a mid-tier i5.

Probably going to go from E3 to E5 X79, new motherboards can be had for cheap, as in brand new dual socket x79 for $215 USD or single socket for $95~115 USD with M.2 PCIE support

$260 for 64GB of Samsung ECC DDR3-1866
$133~150 for E5-2660 V2 2.2~3.0Ghz 10C/20T
$202~215 for E5-2680 V2 2.8~3.6Ghz 10C/20T
$365~$369 for E5-2697 V2 2.7~3.5Ghz 12C/24T

Heck they'll even knock a bit off you you buy combo deals and throw in free tower coolers.

For non workstation use I got a Ryzen 1700x but no ECC support on the motherboard and the 2700x is $360 USD here with not many ECC capable X470 motherboards in sight.

Nice nice. What do you primarily do on your workstation?

I have an X5670 (un-overclocked) that I got to get a few more years out of my X58 board. 6c/12t is nice, though I don't gaymen on this machine anymore. It's an okay upgrade if you have the 1366 mobo already, but I wouldn't try to actually build a system like this anymore.

NAS, and VMs, it's a cheap way to get environments set up and not have to build multiple costly computers. Mainly used by a handful of designers for advertisement design anything from flyers, billboards, shop signs, flags, vehicles adverts to wall to wall prints at malls, which then gets outsourced printing.

>It's an okay upgrade if you have the 1366 mobo already, but I wouldn't try to actually build a system like this anymore
This is my thought as well