Why is this codec still in use after all these years? AAC and Opus slap it in the face

Why is this codec still in use after all these years? AAC and Opus slap it in the face.

Attached: Mp3.svg.png (2000x1010, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

opus-codec.org/examples/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Compatibility, especially among things that don't get upgraded often like car radio head units. MP3 is everywhere, AAC is for the most part there as well but there are cases where still in use shit only supports MP3, but they're growing rarer by the day. Opus support on shit is that is non-existent so it's a no-go.

What's the .ogg bitrate equivalent of mp3? I know I'm getting a decent audio quality with 320kbps mp3 but I have no idea what .ogg bitrate is good.

It's libre and every toaster supports it.

Compatible with literally everything. Same reason jpg is still so common even though there are better lossy solutions.

Hard drive space is relatively cheap, there's no reason not to use FLAC for everything on your desktop. mp3s are for portability, and most people aren't picky about sound quality on their phone or car stereo.So FLAC and mp3 are all you need really, Opus is trying to solve a problem nobody cares about.

>AAC and Opus
>not the superior FLAC
common guys, we have TBs of storage available to us and people still insist on using lossy compressions?

Attached: mp3vsflac.png (1370x600, 25K)

Why should I when I can't hear the difference?

bump for this
actually I want to know the equivalent of opus and AAC too

fuck, meant to quote

Might be just psychological, but I feel a difference inbetween FLAC and MP3, or MP3 and M4A

if you need to save space, opus. it's probably the only good lossy compression format out there, made by some serious audio experts, and since it's lossy and doesn't have to encode every single sample directly it can save a lot of space over flac.

Do a blind test and see if you can here the differences

Because nobody cares. Hell, I KNOW mp3 sucks and I don't care, so I can only imagine how little most people care.

OGG is a container format. You may be referring to the vorbis audio codec. The transparency bitrate for stereo tracks is ~160 kbps, where the transparency bitrate for stereo on opus is ~128 kbps.

Because the scene is retarded.

Because gigabytes add up.

Attached: FLAC is cancer.png (590x127, 4K)

People generally just tend to stick with what's familiar, don't understand the concept of bitrate, and don't care too much about audio fidelity.

Can’t help your shit ears, but there is a clear difference in sound quality, however faint.

AAC is patented bullshit.
MP3 patents are expired and like h.264 propagated way too far, but it's patent free so whatever.

>nobody cares about
audio over internet is its main concern, whether it be music, video or voice calls

I wish more podcasts were distributed as Opus. I know there's only a handful that even release in Vorbis.

The fact that pure voice is able to be crammed in 64kbps is pretty fucking impressive

Be the change you want to see in the world, start uploading stuff on Opus and maybe some retards will start using it.

Bitrate is how much compressed/encoded data is required to produce one second of audio. Depending on the efficiency of the audio codec, a lower bitrate may be achieved at less of an audible loss. It's all in the algorithm of the audio codec. It's a balance between size and perceived quality. Better ratios can be achieved with modern codecs, but that should only be considered when you have a use case that requires it. Let's say you want a gigantic music library on your phone or pmp, but you don't really care THAT much about quality over content.. In this case you could probably go as low as 32-64kbps opus, or 64-96kbps vorbis.

I use 64kbps for music for my Clip Zip. It's pretty good. I don't care too much about audio quality for my mobile device, plus I mostly listen to podcasts/radio when I'm on the go.

for just speech, you can go as low as 24

opus-codec.org/examples/

but if the podcast has music, makes sense to use 64

I meant people generally don't understand the concept of bitrate. I understood it long ago. Your explanation requires thought that most people aren't willing to give and drives my point.

Damn I'm retarded, misread your post. Someone may learn something I guess

>AAC is patented bullshit.
Nearly everything is patented.

I often misread posts. It doesn't mean you're retarded, probably just unfocused.

MP3 is not a codec, it's a format. LameMP3 is a codec.

No licenses or payments are required for a user to stream or distribute content in AAC format

lcensing isn't a problem for use, it's a problem for implemenation. What use does a format have for me if there are no devices out there to play it?

That's not a good thing.

Just about any device will play AAC, free OPUS on the other hand is a different story on small devices.

>people wanting to get paid for their work is a bad thing
ok comrade

Attached: 8202454976_3702ab4dac_m.jpg (191x201, 16K)

literally every non-apple smartphone out there could play opus. Apple has codec support but they refuse to give you the ability to a use it as a format for your music library. Only special cases like Streaming and Voice Calls are allowed. If you're thinking about other small devices, even the support for AAC is not consistent.Some are stuck with WAV and mp3

Any Android device and any portable music player with rockbox support will play Opus.

>any portable music player with rockbox support
But they don't make those anymore.

But I'm using a rockboxed benjie t6 from this year.

Software based OPUS decoding is easy to implement if the device is powerful enough, like a cellphone. I was talking more about hardware decoding in things like small music players and car stereos (which can often play MP3 and sometimes AAC). I like OPUS btw.

Attached: 1527983100279.png (800x792, 573K)

AAC truly does outperform every other lossy audio codec in terms of perceived quality. ~256kbps stereo is usually damn near perfect. Anything below 256kbps and you should switch to opus at 128kbps.

Get good speakers

That image is based on a retarded interpretation of digital samples being stair-steps

you're either old or your equipment is shit
mp3 has a frequency cut-off at 16 khz. Young adults can hear more than that

isn't LAME V0 preset a 20khz cutoff

Becaus it's hard to rationalize replacing something that's good enough.

Also hardware support for mp3 is really high due to standardization.

>mp3 has a frequency cut-off at 16 khz.
Lie more. I might believe you.

320kbps does not seem to have any cut off but V0 does at 20-21khz.

this so much. I still have a tiny 2GB Philips MP3 player that I use just because it's so tiny. I also have a slightly bigger Benjie T6 which takes SD cards, so that's nice. It supports AAC and FLAC but not Opus. My surround receiver plays AAC too, and FLAC and MP3 - but, again, no Opus. I don't see Opus becoming nearly as widely supported as MP3 any time soon.

Storing music on RAID array? FLAC's the obvious choice. And encoding files for using them _everywhere_ ? MP3 is still the obvious choice. Would be nice if it was Opus.. but no.

this

you don't have TBs of storage on SD cards, USB sticks, built-in storage on phones and MP3 players and so on. For long-term storage on a HDD/RAID - sure, FLAC's the obvious choice.

don't matter when you can't play the Opus files...

doesn't always work, though. opus audio saved as .ogg or .oga can't play on my smartphone. but make a .webm with opus audio and it plays just fine in the video player.

Well it is sampled that way, just when it is outputted again as analog there is no stair stepping.

tell me more, can you use things like bluetooth and reverse bluetooth on your benjie t6 with rockbox? I have the benjie t6 and I use the stock rom for now. it's fine except that it can't play opus. I'm basically afraid I'll lose some other features if I put rockbox on it. It's actually quite useful to connect it to a computer and use it as a bluetooth receiver for a non-bluetooth headset, I use that feature from time to time. Don't know if rockbox supports it, just know that third party firmware tend to miss things like that.

Playback for opus files will work. Only problems is Android's own media scanner does not recognize .opus files. .ogg files work fine, however

samples are not stair steps

Name recognition, and the general public not understanding or caring to learn about bitrate, bit depth, codecs, etc.
Also, far to many of the type of people who listen to music through shitty earbuds and tinny speakers, and are so detached from from how computers work as to not even understand filesize.

because music is shit, mp3 is shit, they go well together

>can't play Opus
>using video player
Since I got a Android 7.1 phone I've been able to use opus in .webm container in music applications.

>t. never seen a spectrogram

>.ogg files work fine, however
no, not on my phone. but I know they should, my tablet will play .ogg opus files in Vanilla Music just fine. My phone won't. I guess it's a bug specific to that phone and perhaps a few others.

Because mp3 is "good enough," 99% of the time being "better" doesn't mean it will get adopted. A successful new format has to radically change the way you do something, either by significantly increasing quality or being significantly cheaper or more convenient. It's why VHS lasted so long, yeah there was a lot of shit that was "better" but that meant fuck all to consumers. Even DVD didn't kill VHS, it didn't die off until DVR and on demand made tapes obsolete for recording. It's also why Bluray never surpassed DVD, sure it looks a whole lot better but it's still at heart just a souped up DVD. Only enthusiasts care about incremental upgrades, for mass market adoption a product has to completely change the way you do things.

>AAC and Opus
aotuv vorbis > AAC