I'm thinking about ditching firefox to use surf (suckless web browser) should i go for it?

I'm thinking about ditching firefox to use surf (suckless web browser) should i go for it?

Anyone use surf? How do you apply patches?

Attached: desktop.png (1920x1080, 374K)

Other urls found in this thread:

qutebrowser.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't do it. surf can't redner web sites properly AT ALL.

Not even youtube?

posting from surf rn. No tabs is a turn-off for some, but for me it's comfy. Something about simplicity turns me on.
that said, if I need to be productive in a browser, i'll use something else. Surf is only good for light browsing.

only hotkeys i use are ctrl+g to input address, ctrl+r to reload, and ctrl+h/ctrl+l for back/forward.

Does youtube work on surf

I don't actually remember, but just use mpv (or vlc if you want to go from a tty). Better interface and less tracking

Cuck worthy question, does that give the videos I watch views? Also does MPV run YouTube's ads?

Not sure about the views, but ads are not loaded.

I use surf. It works well but some really heavy sites with tons of strange JS will make it misbehave on you. Keep in mind that it doesn't have support for things like H.264 or other proprietary media formats so anything streaming with that or likewise will not work. As a basic web page browser it is very comfy.

patching is easy, you just pull the repo, and apply a .patch file. git will handle the patching for you.

Attached: 2018-06-13-180951_4920x1920_scrot.png (1921x1080, 538K)

yeah it works

post surf with youtube

I use protonmail, does it work with that site
also what is the command for patching

I just tried surf on youtube, you're a fucking liar it doesn't work.

theres other less drastic suckless options. surf is only really useful if the other modern web browsing features like tabs are already done by other suckless software on your system and all you need is a way to connect to websites and render html. hell even conkeror has more features. maybe look into other options first. qtebrowser and stuff might be your cup of tea but whatever you do stay far away from chromium cancer like brave and vivladi

FUCKING LIARRRRRR
WHO LIEDDDDD
TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>qtebrowser
shit ton of gay dependencies also no ublock

It was pretty easy to check.

Must have installed it for some reason at some point.

Pic related.

Attached: youtubesurf.gif (1920x1080, 1.99M)

>also no ublock
youre fucking shitting me right? ublock also doesnt exist for surf. if you want to use a bare mininum browser then it is kind of assumed that stuff like that is handled in your firewall or fuck even just your host file

Fine
Does qute work with youtube?

chrome does

>i want a minimalistic web browser
>WTF WHERE ARE ALL MY FEATURES AND ADDONS???
this thread

>chrome
>network manager
bloat/10

qutebrowser.org/
check for yourself and then never open a thread on here again thanks desu

Honestly, i just want one addon and that is UBLOCK

please learn what the hosts file is and does.

I know what it is
NO just tell me, i haven't used it in 2 years

idk about protonmail, just try it. takes a second to install. to apply patches in a git repo it's just `git apply your.patch` then check that it worked with `git diff`

youtube doesn't work in qutebrowser but you can bind keys to open youtube links in mpv

/* VIDEOPLAY(URI) */
#define VIDEOPLAY(u) {\
.v = (const char *[]){ "/bin/sh", "-c", \
"mpv --really-quiet \"$0\"", u, NULL \
} \
}

this function comes with vanilla surf but by default is not bound to any keys. If you would like surf to pass a video URI off to a video player, you can add a line to your keybindings:
{ MODKEY, GDK_KEY_F12, spawn, VIDEOPLAY },

surf expects you to make your own plugins for different media types it's really just for rendering webpages.

Attached: 1529085398173.jpg (550x623, 276K)

Damn so how advanced are you?

I am very impressive at parties

Attached: 1528250331742.jpg (500x544, 70K)

Show me the way
jokes aside, should i use qute browserr or surf

I find using surf pretty nice, chans look comfy on it, I like that you choose to leave js completely off or only for whitelisted pages, i like how easy it is to write little plugins (they're all in that format). Thats just me though.

whatever distro you're on see if it has surf, or go to their site and pull the repo, should build with just make. check the patches if you want any, apply patches in a repo with git apply your_patch.path

Attached: dfgdsrgdgy.jpg (338x333, 55K)

.patch not .path (eheh.)

I was under the impression that all the WebKitGTK+ browsers were flawed/insecure/unmaintained or something. I guess things have changed recently?

scam.com/"rm -rf --no-preserve-root /#

oops