Why are there people that still use CRTs?

>They cause immense eye strain

>take up a shit ton of space

>extremely fucking heavy

>VGA in 2018

>They are total power hogs

>4:3 in 2018

>that god awful high pitched noise they make

so tell me why are you still using it?

Attached: P1110-786F.jpg (1024x768, 127K)

That one

High refresh rates. Literally that's the only reason, and it is rapidly becoming not a reason with high refresh rate flatscreens.

>noise they make
Don't worry once you grow up you can't hear that any more.

Some of the Sony CRTs had the best displays I have ever used. Much better than my LG ultra wide

Attached: 297.jpg (800x450, 50K)

>>They cause immense eye strain
Not at high refresh rates (75hz+)
>>take up a shit ton of space
Who cares, it's not like I'll be carrying it around
>>extremely fucking heavy
see above
>>VGA in 2018
werks
>>They are total power hogs
wow, +$1 on my electricity bill
:3 in 2018
And it's great. Click here to see why
>>that god awful high pitched noise they make
They only make noises when they are broken.

>so tell me why are you still using it?
I like 4:3, high refresh rates and decent colors.

Attached: task.jpg (486x319, 19K)

No they don't.
True.
>>VGA in 2018
There's nothing wrong with VGA.
Stop being poor.
Best ratio.
I don't hear anything from mine.

Because I've left mine out in my garage all year round for 11 years in Michigan, and it still works.

Attached: 1528575110479.jpg (513x510, 59K)

I need to grab one for my Amiga which only supplies 15khz signals, which only TVs can display.

old LCDs are really fucking ugly and don't match the hardware, so a CRT is a better choice and the right aspect ratio.

my 24in lcd monitor takes up a lot of space on my desk 2bh and honestly a crt would probably take up the same space as my current monitor anyways. not like theres anything on my desk to begin with

Color accuracy that's it.

LCDs simply cannot match a CRT at color accuracy. Likewise, a CRT simply cannot match a LCD at screen geometry.

Kek

Only if you run it at 60Hz which is the limit of CRTs you find on the side of the road
It's a desktop monitor. How often do you move a desktop setup?
>extremely fucking heavy
See above. Also don't fall for the glass desk meme.
>VGA in 2018
As opposed to?
I'll give you that, but only for 5 seconds after a cold start.
Better than 16:9 cancer. 16:10 is better than both 4:3 and 16:9 but proper 16:10 monitors are nowhere to be found outside of laptops.
No, that's only on your grandma's bedroom TV. Any CRT monitor for computer use emits sounds several times beyond the upper limit of human hearing.
Nothing else displays low resolutions without looking like shit, nor is there anything else that has deep blacks and 180-degree viewing angles. LED-based displays with sufficiently high pixel density similar to that of high-end flagship smartphones will kill CRTs once and for all but those are still in development and won't be widespread for at least another decade.

>aesthetic.
>they look and feel like the 80's
>they give my stupid screensavers a point for existance.
>look good with mechanical keyboards

i miss my childhood

Only if you're too retarded to let it fall below 75 to 80 Hz. Premium CRTs are 85hz minimum for suggested resolution.
They're better for your eyes of set to the proper refresh rate as you can decrease the brightness if need be. If you decrease the brightness of most LCDs the back light in them flickers around 60hz.
>extremely fucking heavy
S O Y non issues.
Performance > logistics
>VGA in 2018
VGA or DVI-I
Not a concern. Performance gained is worth a loss of electrical efficiency.
They made 16:10 and 16:9 CRT displays
Not perceivable if you're running above 80hz. If you hear humming , it's a sign of bad wiring and poor grounding or a damaged unit.
>why are you still using it
Color accuracy, lack of input delay, and better refresh rates.

>>VGA in 2018
>VGA or DVI-I
This is also a selling point
ANALOG > DIGITAL

>tfw 3d fishtank screensaver

They still work.

Hormetic low dose ionizing radiation exposure. I put my forehead against a diamondtron for 2 minutes and it gives me a nice jolt of energy and creativity.

bump

It pisses people off and it's funny

Attached: IMG_20180515_221537.jpg (4160x3120, 1M)

>use LEDs to light a LCD
>call it a LED TV
Literally fraud. Especially when it's not mentioned anywhere that it's actually an LCD for the screen.

bump

BASED

Attached: pc.png (569x350, 20K)

What the hell. Are all LED tvs in stores like this?

>SOCKET 0
The ultimate in hotplugabble CPUs?
>465GB Western Digital
>465GB Seagate
Hoo boy, you're going to be called a heathen no matter who you ask.

>The ultimate in hotplugabble CPUs?
Speccy a shit
>Hoo boy, you're going to be called a heathen no matter who you ask.
They've both served me well for the many many years I've used them... can't say I dislike one company more than the other from experience.

Just to annoy you

Attached: img-586-1466x1100.jpg (1466x1100, 263K)

Attached: 07c.jpg (706x521, 43K)

Except the Premium CRTs costs like, 3000 dollars

Only at low refresh rates.

They do.

>extremely fucking heavy
They are.

>VGA in 2018
Good up to ~Full HD Resolution. But we're well past that nowadays (I use 3 Full HD IPS panels at work though)

I don't care.

Nothing inherently wrong with it. 16:10 remains best though.

Can't hear anything.

All things considered, I don't want CRTs back.

>but muh black levels

the benefits are outweighed by the downsides, end of story.

t.triggerd autist

>shitty bait thread
>but I still must post a dumb argument and bump the thread because I got offended by someone not liking what I like just like OP planned! reee

Citation needed. Most CRTs only pull any significant load when turning on, else they are pretty much on par with LCDs from 15 years ago.

t. triggerd manchild playing stupid and useless videogames

They still stuck in early 00s. They didnt knew less eyestrain, IPS display, 144hz, HDMI, 1ms, 1kg monitor is already exists.

Eye strain and high pitched noise are indications you're driving it wrong. Keep it within the specs, and it's fine.

The only real issues you posted are the fact they're power hogs and heavy. VGA connector is only an issue if you're using some high resolution that probably is outside the spec of the display anyway.

Also
> Stop liking what I don't like! REEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Its only you retard

as opposed to spending time NOT wasting life by posting on Jow Forums

Because aesthetics!
And to annoy you

Attached: IMG_20180620_132014[1].jpg (1024x768, 459K)

To be a hipster of course.

Attached: soyboy 4.jpg (2125x1573, 343K)

Damn, do you see Half life 2 gameplay ? the graphics looks like a real life ! im not sure my Voodoo card can run it

I have learned a lot of things here in Jow Forums. It is more useful than stupid video games.

But yeah I agree with you that overall spending time in Jow Forums is another waste of time.

Because I can't play Duck Hunt on my LCD

Attached: duckhunt.jpg (638x359, 69K)

no u

>eye strain
this is the worst meme
also i have a CRT with BNC connections so no vga dogshit for me
4:3 is actually great
no high pitched noise from mine
power doesnt matter to me
i have the space
it's heavy but i dont have to move it again
240hz on a crt still looks better than an IPS LED screen

scanlines look great.

>Flatron
>Literary a Trinitron clone
>Model M mini
>Not AT Model F
AHAHAHAHA
Yeah, that's the hipster starter pack, those retards even get banned from actual retrofag forums

The CRT color accuracy meme is something only pushed on Jow Forums because you guys are fully retarded. They can't be that accurate if professional movie editors exclusively use LCDs. Enjoy your meme screen.

Attached: ,7-V-245227-3.jpg (468x351, 25K)

>trusting "artists" in an postmodern world.

Must be why CRTs where still in use by artists several years after flatscreens had become the norm on the consumer market.
Seriously, are you actually this dumb?

>They can't be that accurate if professional movie editors exclusively use LCDs
Are you really retarded or just pretending? Just because there are more accurate LCDs around doesn't mean CRTs have less colour accuracy than your average LCD.

Attached: 1525138426204.jpg (720x736, 94K)

>eye strain

Not at 85+hz. And the lack of sample-and-hold that LCD use is why they feel so clear in motion in games to begin with. Obviously cheap ones will not do more than 85hz 1024x768, but they should all do 120hz at 640x480 for some retro gaming.

>space and weight

No denying it

>VGA in 2018

Only option, and there's nothing wrong with it. VGA does resolutions like 2304x1440 80hz no problem. The issue here is that no new cards are sold with DVI-I / the internal DAC to run at the full 400mhz bandwidth, but at least Delock makes an external converter that does near that these days

>power hogs
My FW900 is like 110w on normal use. Get out of here

>4:3
16:10

>high pitch noise
The noise is inherent to CRT TVs. Humans can hear the whine of the 15khz frequency of 240p/480i 60hz that these TVs come with. Computer CRTs are all 31khz+ and there's no problem

So that is why most movies throughout 00s and 10s have horrible digital filtering everywhere.

because you can't have that original gayming experience on a flatscreen

but now everybody(besides the exception) is using lcd's so they're encoding everything to be the right colors on lcds. not crt

i guess i have super human hearing then. i can hear 99% of tv's and computers high frequency outputs. nothing has ever been louder then a crt

Attached: 1521447498269.png (820x729, 106K)

Because most of fa/g/s here are homeless hobos that connects their shit computers from 1990 to the streetlight wires so they can shitpost here about their obscure shit that works on their trash computers.

Any good CRT overclocking guides? I have an GDM 20E01T with BNC-VGA cables but I can't get more than stock refresh rates out of it. I have also another shit from 2002 and that pushes 180hz@640x480 no problem, but it's just a 17"

False, just learn to use the brightness controls and have ambient light in your room.
Not really, but maybe you should buy a proper desk.
Who cares? are you holding your monitor??
>>VGA in 2018
Even in 2018 VGA is faster than any digital alternative.
False, your gaymer GPU probably consume more power than mine CRT.
Literally better use of space.
Only if you are too stupid to replace a fucking capacitor.

>>VGA in 2018
but these are good things.
HDMI is literally a DRM standard. 16:9 was adapted so normies can watch their movies, Jow Forums is not for media consumption.

Pretty much.

VGA looks like shit compared to DVI or anything newer.
>but muh theoretical 2048x1536!
Resolution isn't the only aspect to image quality. VGA simply looks too soft, that's the nature of analog.

So you prefer jaggies over smooth lines?

>jaggies
Why don't you buy a high dpi screen instead of using your 1366x768 shitpad? I have a 27" 1440p monitor with no jaggies, and it doesn't look like a blurry mess like VGA does.

eye strain is not caused by the brightness, you tard
it's caused by the flicker of CRTs as they refresh

>27"
>1440p
>high dpi

Attached: 1511652957139.jpg (556x561, 49K)

>smooth
you don't get smooth, you get blur
that's the nature of CRTs

110 is almost perfect for me at the distance the monitor is from me on my desk. While obviously 4k at 27" would be preferable, I refuse to be an early adopter as most 4k monitors on the market don't seem worth the price right now. Will probably get a higher res monitor in a few years.

27" 1440p is "retina" at 32" / 81cm

Eye strain is caused by the difference of brightness between your screen and your room. It have nothing to do with the flickering.

Dude it's not like this is even arguable, we've known flickering causes eyestrain for decades. It's why computer monitors were meant to be run well above 60Hz, and why LCDs no longer use PWN dimming. (notice how literally every LCD advertises itself as "flicker-free?" In fact flickering was a known issue back in the days of film. 24fps looks like dogshit if the projector shutter actually closes at 24fps. Their solution was to close the shutter at 48 or 72fps instead, so each "frame" of film would appear 2 or 3 times.

>VGA in 2018
Tfw using 1366*768 LED with VGA cable attached to HDMI to VGA converter with a 1060.
Feelsbadman.

Attached: 1528802803074.gif (400x226, 256K)

>LED
No.

Just get one of the 1280x1024 ones with DVI for like 10-20€ from ebay. Better realestate for desktop and you can get pixel-perfect 720p for movies or games that lack 5:4 aspect ratio or FOV sliders.

CRTs are superior to LCD in every possible way (except size) and to LED in most respects

If my card had a VGA connector I'd be using a CRT all the way, competitive fps gaming on a LED (even the 144hz one I'm using) is a joke compared to CRT, not that anyone here would know (and no, using an adapter isn't an option because of lag)

FUCK technological "progress." Only reason CRTs fell out of use is happy merchants wanting the product to take up less storage space, that's it.

4:3?

(((YOU))) have some ultra wide, curved CRT

Attached: ultrawideCRT.jpg (700x691, 78K)

No... this can't be real...

Why is space even a con, are you some chinese that lives in 1x1 room?
And cant you even lift a fucking monitor?

>Because I can't play Duck Hunt on my LCD
underrated post

Well, I mean, the bigger ones would weigh 100+ pounds. That's a two-man job.

The 19" ones were like 40-50lbs., I'm guessing the 21" monitors were even heavier.

> >extremely fucking heavy
OP is a soiboi
> >4:3 in 2018
Exactly.

I have a Commodore 1902A that I use for C64 gaming...muh pixels don't look right on a modern monitor.

Can you even lift your own weight?

dat pentium 4 tho

>Higher refresh rate at lower resolution
ftfy
Only retards use crt
Same retards use old mechanical keyboards and probably buy vinyls and indentify themselves as "audiophile"
In the other words: fucking boomers

i fry my balls on it to give my kids superior mutations

if you forget about the crime and lack of healthcare, poverty can be kind of aesthetic

>that retarded 16yo boomer that plays outdated music from his vinyls through his CRT's built-in loudspeakers all day on full blast
There's one in every family, isn't there.

What do you have in that Optiplex GX1, because it definitely isn't stock hardware and that car is far from standard?

>basementstation.jpg

The older curved screen versions were much lighter and shallower.

I have a 20" NEC MultiSync LCD2070NX found in an electronics recycling bin. 4:3 resolution 1600x1200. Re-live the old gaming and video experience an a comparibly large LCD screen.

Attached: index.jpg (199x253, 7K)

They're also worthless compared to newer flat screen models. A bright image actually causes the shadow mask to expand outward which completely fucks the picture up.

lowest possible latency

Better than f-ing my back up moving it.

>1600x1200
That's nice if all the games you play are relatively new and support either that or 1600x900. Otherwise enjoy your blur and piss-quality scaling that makes you want to gouge your eyes out.
>70 pounds is too much for him