How do I shut down Linux?

It's stuck running a "stop job". I put Linux and not GNU/Linux because I don't think this is GNU's fault.

Attached: linux-shutdown.jpg (534x401, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=msX4oAXpvUE
theregister.co.uk/2017/07/05/linux_systemd_grants_root_to_invalid_user_accounts/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's shutting down you faggot.

It's been "shutting down" for about 20 minutes.

alt+sysrq+e
alt+sysrq+i
alt+sysrq+u
alt+sysrq+s
alt+sysrq+o

>systemd

install gentoo

Pull the plug.

enjoy your data corruption

Battery power. This box has about 8 hours of juice left

Take out the battery you fucking retard.
Or just hold down the power button for some time.

Never happened

Non-removable battery, also the power button doesn't do anything when I hold it down

just like unplugging a flash drive without unmounting is save

Never caused me problems

>run sync
>pull plug
its not rocket science

spam cntl - alt - backspace

blame systemd

your pic doesn't show 20 minutes, though. take another pic to show us what it is doing, so we can tell you if it's safe to shut it down forcefully or not

Have you ever used another tty or a system log?

>non-removable battery

Attached: 9cb.png (1050x903, 1.45M)

>the absolute state of systemd

Attached: 1524812171030.png (798x490, 95K)

ah, finally a truly modern init system

>improperly configured services
>shit doesn't shutdown properly.

made me think.

This is why i switched to openrc. Never looking back.

fuck systemd. I see these problems in both my ubuntu and arch linux installs.

>systemd
You deserve your corrupted disk lmao

you must wait for your systemd overlord

Attached: 1526373266721.jpg (378x485, 40K)

wangblowsfag here

What exactly is wrong with systemd? I'm thinking of switching to Linux, is it really worth it to go out of my way to find a distro which doesn't use systemd?

Attached: 1381879437563.jpg (331x331, 94K)

I've done about 30 minutes of reading Jow Forums to be a pseudoexpert on this topic.

systemd is literally the devil and is not free as in freedom.

Can't call yourself an expert if you forget to tell it's a botnet, Go back to /b/ now.

It has a lot of control, is unaudited, and Pottering is a fag.

>>It's stuck running a "stop job".
>tfw systemdumbass
Oh wait, I don't know that feel after all.

>Windows is shutting down
>Please do not turn off your computer
It's not so much a command as it is a suggestion.
I like the way these people think.

Attached: 800px-Lennart_poettering_foss.in_2007.jpg (800x533, 47K)

People here are bitching about systemd because it doesn't exactly follow the unix philosophy - its not just an init system - it also handles services / daemons, etc.
Idk, could we have something better in an alternate universe? - yes. Is it bad? - no, not really, working with services is quite easy and startup time has greatly improved.

I wonder, if it's so bad, why did majority of distros embraced it?
Let's make this a systemd thread now.

Attached: systemd_logo_small.jpg (640x372, 33K)

There already is one.

Now I see it already was about systemd, was in a different thread for last 10 mins, sorry

>it also handles services / daemons, etc.
And DNS and DHCP. I love seeing 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf, it's a sure sign that the system is a shitem.
>hey, how do we make Linux even fucking worse with security?
>>how about we roll up a bunch of fucking shit that gets data from an external fucking machine and stick it in the init process
Great fucking idea. You'd think these dumb faggots would get a clue from shellshock giving remote root compromise through malformed DHCP environment options, but no, they just keep getting fucking dumber.
>I wonder, if it's so bad, why did majority of distros embraced it?
Because they're FUCKING RETARDED. Same reason why everyone uses bloated fuck glibc cancer, stupid fucking bloated GANOO library with more holes than a beehive. It's almost every month a new fucking exploit for some network related vulnerability in glibc makes me have to recompile the fucking piece of shit, because otherwise someone who MITMs a fucking DNS query will get root privileges on the fucking system because of this shitty fucking library.

>not using macOS

Just install Windows. It's just as retarded but comes with a lot more programs and gaymes.

Linux is for NEETs who have nothing else to do.

this you dumb fucks

> systemd

potring anhero when

install devuan. basically debian without systemd.
you won't have to look back

Hold down the power button until it shuts off.

Tap Ctrl+Alt+Delete really fast

インストールゲントー

youtube.com/watch?v=msX4oAXpvUE
skip towards the end

> systemd boot/shutdown is faster

but I'm not gay

ctrl+c does it for me

>unix philosophy
this is so cringy at this point akin to the people are waking up shite

systemd is bad because it kills the alternatives and you are pretty much forced to use it

There is nothing wrong with systemd except it does not follow *NIX way which means that people who have been using *NIX for decades need to learn to use computer all over again and forget the old if they want to continue using linux. I personally moved to *BSD for good because I am just too lazy to to re-learn shit. For you systemd and GNU/linux way might be the thing for me it's not

> which means that people who have been using *NIX for decades need to learn to use computer all over again
No it doesn't, it's a fucking init system, you try too hard

USINF USSR LOONIX, LEMAO
USE CRACKED WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE OR 10 ENTERPRISE LTSB AND GET SOME ACTUAL WORK DONE FAGGOT

A cute fag

/thread
The fuck are people even arguing about? This is how you "safely" shut down unresponsive systems. I would use REISUB, though.

>power button doesn't do anything when I hold it down
doubt
count to ten, slowly

The problem is systemd. Press power off button on your computer and hope it doesn't fail next time

Last night my wingdongs 10 was stuck on shutdown for 20 min

CTRL+ALT+PRINTTSCREEN + REISUO
(raising elephants is so utterly over)

No, just install whatever you want.
There's valid reasons why people oppose systemd but unless you're incredibly autistic you shouldn't care.
Remember that you're coming from windows which is on an entirely other level of bad, if all the windows components were also present in most linux distros systemd would become the good part of the operating system.

but i don't have three hands

REISUB

>muh sysvinit
>muh minimalism

>muh sysvinit
>muh minimalism
>muh 1970's guidelines
>muh 16-bit mainframe

dunno if related by I often have job waiting issues when shutting down a pc without using sudo

t. boomer

>t. 50 year old millennial

>t. lennart

>non removable battery
shoulda bought a chinkpad lul

Attached: 1510868724226.jpg (643x962, 37K)

>t. veteran unix admin™

Attached: 1524529779699.png (407x123, 3K)

I always have this on every system I just set up. Debian 9 with Gnome for me. Old PCs, new PCs, it happens every time. My solution to this is:
# nano /etc/systemd/system.conf

DefaultTimeoutStartSec=10s
DefaultTimeoutStopSec=10s

This keeps sure to just fucking kill anything that takes longer.

>my little duck syndrome is a bug
Veteran Unix Admins™

>pulling the plug corrupts your data
Year of the Linux desktop.

Attached: 1466291451886.png (518x656, 297K)

Fuck me. I actually learned something useful here. Well done, Jow Forumsents

Why would you shut the rig down if it still has 8 hours of juice

Reminder systemd crashes to a root prompt when logging in as a user with a number in their name.

Source?

theregister.co.uk/2017/07/05/linux_systemd_grants_root_to_invalid_user_accounts/

Really depends on the file system you use.

>systemd
here's your problem. One of the reasons I switched to void. It has no such problems. Even Gentoo doesn't.

>theregister.co.uk/2017/07/05/linux_systemd_grants_root_to_invalid_user_accounts/
Lennart has a point. A username with a number isn't a valid username in historical UNIX (But somehow it can be in POSIX system)
Still, If I was Lennart I would patch it just in case.
Fucking moron.

>when logging
No, its not when login, its when a service is started under a user with a "invalid" username.

According to screenshot it's been shutting down 40 seconds out of 1min 30s

>systemd
top kek

Linux is a kernel.

This is probably a driver issue. I have a desktop machine that did this because of the forcedeth driver, and the only way to get it to stop hanging on shutdown/reboot was to disable the onboard nic in the BIOS and add a pci nic.

nah a chinkpad that has 8 hours of battery left is gonna be one with an internal battery senpai

>what is journaling

>systemd
asked for it

:q!

Linux is a kernel.

>Linux
Found your problem.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: richard-stallman.jpg (992x595, 95K)