Mainwframe

I want a mainframe, all other computers are just toys and haven't been built to be professionally/commercially functional for decades.
What do I have to do/where to look if I want to find an old mainframe computer and make my dream a reality

Attached: BN-UH577_IBM071_GR_20170716175207.jpg (1242x810, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kmMn5Q_lnkk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_z14_(microprocessor)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

surplus auctions

There haven't been true "mainframes" in decades. Be prepared for server blades connecting together and emulating a mainframe.

>There haven't been true "mainframes" in decades

Attached: CgyjJi3.jpg (1838x2048, 129K)

you're indeed a retard

why would you centralize your data? it's a huge liability.

>Buying a mainframe
I can't think of a single use for this other than some meme use like using john the ripper to play with hashes.

Closest thing that could be useful to me would maybe be 2 or 4 teslas V100 and that's already overkill.

because they are robust as fuck that's why. You can swap out memory and even CPUs while its still active with little to no issues in service.

>fire in the building
>oops, everything's gone

Mainframes are definitely still a thing, moron. And they're quite robust.
youtube.com/watch?v=kmMn5Q_lnkk

Serious question, what are mainframes used for, nowadays?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_z14_(microprocessor)

Using own OS and own architecture processor(no power) from IBM.

Old bank,medical or millitar system begin made in COBOL or Java.

You got 3-phase power at your place?
There are very few "mainframes" you can run off the powerpoint. Anything that doesn't need 3-phase power probably isn't a real mainframe.
There were lots of minicomputers around in the '70s and '80s. Don't get sucked into that mess.

If you really wanna hurt yourself, buy an AS400 (IBM's little mainframe)

>why would you centralize your data?
Integrity. More than one copy (and not backed up at that) means nobody knows which is the real one.
One client, in an effort to speed things up, allowed branch offices to download the master stock database. Next thing they knew each branch had its own edition. Duplicated item numbers, bad descriptions, non-standard products - it was a mess. And no backups. No licences for the software they were using.
This doesn't happen when you have a centralized mainframe. One that has off-site backups that can have a replicant site up in a matter of hours after a disaster.

How is it a liability? You can have a mainframe and remote backups.

Centralization makes it easier to process data (good luck maintaining correct bank account balances using a distributed system) and makes it easier to secure (one central, physically secure location).

They're ultra-reliable systems with no single point of failure.

>What is fire suppression
>What is backups

>>fire in the building
>>oops, everything's gone
Move to backup site provided by insurance company. Install floor system from off-site backup.
The most you'll lose is the period since your last backup. Likely a few hours.
Been there, done that.
There's 50 - 60 years of experience you're pitting your imagination against.

Anyone here working as a mainframe developer? What's the market like, what languages do you use, how do you become one?

for things where io speed matters

>(IBM's little mainframe)
Nah. AS400 is mid-range. Not mainframe.
Different field engineering division.

Don't forget backups and licence certification.
Upgrades are distributed over your network during downtime. Makes change control a breeze.

A friend of mine is a mainframe developer. He's the youngest in his team (24). The programming language they use is incredibly shit. Look up ibm rpg on wikipedia

Hey fag, IBM still makes z/OS servers. Large banks still use them. Have fun writing COBOL asshole!

Attached: Computer as Fuck.jpg (1360x1020, 231K)

Everywhere you need high-reliability and low latency operations (transactions) in a high-transaction volume environment. So: banks, payment systems (VISA, ATMs,), airlines, etc.

It is extremely difficult to have those three things (high-reliability, low-latency and high-volume) at the same time when using a different architecture.

Facebook (distributed architecture): high-volume, low-latency but no reliability. Hundreds of millions of users, and posting something is quick, but two of your friends might start seeing something you posted eventually, at different times. A bit of a problem if we were talking about an airline reservation system or a payment system...

Crypto-currencies (blockchain architecture): high-volume, high-reliability (they're designed to prevent double-spending) but very high latency (can take dozens of minutes to get confirmations). Different crypto-currencies make different tradeoffs, but not a single one provides the three aforementioned properties at the same time.

>he doesn't know
embarrassing...

Is that Gustavo?

And the reason why is actually quite simple.
If you are familiar with the concept of memory hierarchy, you know that running stuff centrally is many orders of magnitudes faster than having a distributed architecture.
That's what provides for both low-latency and high-volume. That part is not actually that difficult. Mainframes are regular computers (in terms of architecture). They don't have particularly fast CPUs, although they might have many, many cores.

The difficult bit is to have something centralized AND highly-reliable. And that's where all the added value is, on a mainframe. You have a single computer, but you don't want it to EVER fail. So you have redundant everything. Redundant power supplies (in certain cases, with electricity coming from two or more different distributors), redundant CPUs and disks, everything can be hot-swapped (so you can add and remove CPUs or RAM while it's still running). And the software can also be upgraded while it's running, and without interrupting processing.

>You got 3-phase power at your place?

Interestingly I live in commie apartment built in early 80s and I have 3 phase power sockets tho only in kitchen.

hot swap terrifies me.
i safely remove my usbs

Sure, but those systems are designed for hot swap (I mean, you can literally hot swap anything: power supplies, CPUs, RAM, etc.)

The absolute state of nu-Jow Forums

Mainframes are some of the most robust systems in the world. They don't simply crash and lose data. And pretty much every mainframe operator is making regular backups.

Every so often a z/OS mainframe turns up on eGay for as little as $5,000.

Can it play skyrim tho?

The problem is finding software. IBM keeps that shit locked down tight.

You can always run Linux on it, but the whole point of a mainframe is that dank ISPF experience.

Attached: image002.gif (640x309, 38K)

Some guy was handing out either DOS/360 or MVS turnkeys (can't remember) a while back. Retro, but if you can't get your mitts on z/OS, a good second choice.

Yeah, I've fucked around with the MVS turnkey. Unfortunately, that only has TSO and SPF (an early version of ISPF which is kind of garbage).

>mfw

Attached: 1526006954258.gif (480x360, 820K)

"IBM z-Series z800 Full MainFrame M/T 2066 with Boards and Accessories" is listing for $2700 right now

I'm in Ausfagia, so double that - then add on the charges of moving over a ton of mainframe to the other side of the planet.

publicsurplus.com