What is the difference between mechanical and other keyboards?

what is the difference between mechanical and other keyboards?

Attached: pol2.webm (1280x720, 2.14M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Functionally, basically nothing. But they feel and sound nicer most of the time. Very comfy.

The operation of their switches is mechanical.

Attached: switchcomparison.jpg (2148x1126, 374K)

for the cherry switches:
reds make you get more epic headshots in games
blues makes clicks and has some tactile feedback for epic typewriting styles
brown is a mix of both but less sound

Mechanical keyboards click

Meme crap for autists.

Street creds with the cool kids
You need to choose an uncommon mechanical switch though. Cherry MX is too mainstream and will get you nowhere.

Mechanical are for people who want to spend 4x as much on a keyboard so they can offend everyone with a normal keyboard.
While circlejerking with similar minded they start to actually believe that they have a gain in productivity with a mechanical keyb.
When it comes to real life useability/performance there is no difference between mechanical and regular dome keyboards.

Sour grapefags detected.

>there is no difference between mechanical and regular dome keyboards.
Keep telling yourself that Rajesh. Pretty much all mech keyboards have switches that are rated at 50m+ presses whereas rubber domes are 20m+, meaning mechs right out of the box should last twice as long.
They feel much better than rubber dome boards and if you use computers regularly at home or work upgrading the main peripheral is totally worth it.

Mechanical keyboards are good because if you buy one you can guarantee they'll be good.

If you buy a membrane keyboard however you're going to have to buy a fair few until you find a decent one.

Simple as that really.

>rated at 50m+ presses
Nobody will wear his keyboard to 50m presses. It'l die before of spilled beer, dust overload or will be simply old enough to replace it

>use computers regularly at home or work upgrading is totally worth it
Why do they have zero relevance in professional environments then?

They are nice and I'll propably get one to but more of asthetics/autism reasons than rational reasons.

It's the same as the arguing about fountain pens. They are nice and all but ball pens write good too and thats what the fans always ignore.

>Why do they have zero relevance in professional environments then?

They do, they have done for decades.
Pretty much all banks use mech keyboards as they care more about long term longevity than short term gains from penny pinching. Next time you're in a bank check the boards workers are using, 99% of the time they will be mechs with Cherry switches, this is the case because they take ages to break.

>spilled beer
who drinks beer on his place of work? have some respect for yourself. Also you can dry mechanical keyboards pretty easily
>dust overload
don't you clean your equippment? do you enjoy living in your own filth?
>simply old enough to replace
Why would I replace a tool that works well with a different tool that doesn't offer any benefits just because its old?

Clickity clack noise.

Arguing with filthy jobless creature. Are you bored user?

>Pretty much all banks use mech keyboards
I'm sure they used to in the past but nowadays IT equipment in enterprise is 100% leased.
They contract the IT service with the cheapest offer to loan all of the IT (pc, laptops, monitors, phones, printers and any other peripheral). So they can swap it out easily, always have the latest gear and don't sit on worthless junk once the IT gets old.
I will check though, the next time I'm in a bank.

>who drinks beer on his place of work?
Beer was supposed to be a placeholder for any beverage you prefer consuming while operating a keyboard such as coffee, tea, coke or water.
Impressive level of ignorance.

>Why would I replace a tool that works well
Keyboards are tech and tech gets old. Don't confuse this with a wrench or something.
Keybs come with new features such as USB 3.0 ports or better anti ghosting controllers or whatever.

mechanical keyboards can repair your car

>sound nicer
Oh boy I too love the loud sound that I can hear from 2 rooms away that disrupt my session, especially at night time when it becomes extra loud! That's how people know I'm a GAMER it's because of my loud GAMING keyboard.

A clicky keyboard is a sign of a FAG (Frequently Annoying Guy). If you see them just take a hammer to the keyboard (or their fingers).

Mechanical keyboard owners are the equivalent in tech to Harley or loud music fags. Love attention; so they have to act like the mechanical keyboard is 'better' in some way. But in reality, they are stupid pieces of shit who play vidya gaymes all day long.

>Keyboards are tech and tech gets old. Don't confuse this with a wrench or something.
>Keybs come with new features such as USB 3.0 ports or better anti ghosting controllers or whatever.
Mechanical keyboards usually have 100% anti-ghosting and full key rollover. So the only reason to get a new keyboard would be for more USB ports? Why not just get a hub? It would be cheaper and they usually take an insignificant amount of space. You could get a good mechanical keyboard plus a hub and be set for years to come.

>spend $20 every few years for minimal upgrades on shitty keyboards

or

>spend $50 once a decade, if that, and get all the features you want

Mechanical keyboards can actuate before the bottom of the keystroke.

They feel better honestly

They don't have to be loud. I have reds with O-rings and they're much quieter than a rubberdome, and I really like short travel with the O-rings

What long term gains? A bunch of shitty membranes will last 15 years for $10 each. A memechanical will last 30 for $150 each. Both are destroyed easily by negligence. You lose money in the long run from accidents and inflation.

take out a membrane keyboard you've been using for a few years
press E
then press scroll lock
notice the different in force required to press each?

the way mechanical keyboards and membrane keyboards "wear" is different
mechanical keyboards have a more uniform force requirement over their lifespans, one key's spring doesn't wear much more than another, even over hundreds of thousands of cycles
membranes pop like blisters pretty quick

only those with the most advanced autisms notice this in day to day usage, but it's there, and cheap mechanical keyboards will eliminate the issue

nigga, 80 bucks for a mech keyboard is not even close to a positive tradeoff for a 10 dollar rubber dome. longevity is a meme for keyboards. most people use it because le "it feels good", but no one can justify spending that much for it, and it's loud and annoying, not compact. there are advantages like the mods, easier to clean, tactility, but spending 60 extra dollars for those features is really quite ridiculous. i type, code, play games just as well on rubber domes as opposed to mechs. at first i was 25wpm faster on the rubber domes as opposed to my model m because the key travel is so damn long in comparison.

20-40 bucks for a chinkmech with outemos (i got mine for 30usd on ebay) is justifiable but 80+ dollars for a mech with cherries or topre is ridiculous.

A keyboard is a tool that you use everyday, and it'll last. Pretty easy to justify.

they generally use a mechanism between the keycap and the circuit board rather than one or two parts to do their job
other keyboards are usually rubber dome membrane keyboards, which use single sheet of rubbery plastic with bumps in it to provide resistance and return force and make contact with the membrane underneath that triggers keypress signals when it's squeezed
mechanical keyboards will generally have springs under the keycaps to provide resistance return force, and they'll often have something more durable than a membrane to actually generate the keypress signals (although membranes themselves are not that bad, some classic mechanical keyboards like the IBM Model M use membranes underneath their key mechanisms)
mechanical keyboards also tend to be louder and durable, have heavier keypresses and a more pronounced difference between not actuated and actuated, and not require the typist to press keys all the way down to trigger keypresses, and many have better support for pressing multiple keys at once and having those keys all register as pressed

As opposed to what? Are all other keyboards are virtual or imaginary?

I got rapidfire switches to help with my gaming

Attached: 1525603722501.jpg (380x349, 30K)

>sound nicer
The fuck? Why do you even want to hear your keyboard?
This is why I don't own mechanical keyboard.
This and because it has longer travel time than a 30$ rubber keyboards

I fucking hate mechanical keyboards
Because of fucking /v/tards everyone are making mechanical keyboards now with gay lights for imbeciles who need to look at their keyboard while typing
Because of these manchildren I can't find decent keyboard now

Fuck all you who has mechanical GAYGB keyboard!

Attached: Jan_Matejko_Sta_czyk.jpg (2500x1870, 629K)

eat my ass, cumlord

>t. streamer/gaymer manchild playing gaymes because reality is too harsh

>Functionally, basically nothing.
Wrong. Your typing speed will improve a significant degree on a mechanical keyboard.

How can you break the rubber dome mechanism down to the simple machines?

>Why do you even want to hear your keyboard?
because it's a second form of feedback that the key has been pressed

if you want a computer with lots of shinny lights to run your gaymes, get a mechanical keyboard

if you just want to get shit done any decent keyboard will do

I'm sure they exist, but I've yet to encounter an "other keyboard" that gives half a shit about the broad functionality of a keyboard and not just making sure "it can type so it's good enough."

Whereas... SOME mechanical keyboard manufacturers do.

As for the actual mechanics of mechanical keyboards, they're neat, but honestly a bit overkill. There, apparently, just isn't a market for good keyboards that aren't also luxury keyboards.

>A simple machine with no friction or elasticity i
>no elasticity
So it's impossible, but it is an extremely stupid and undesirable task to try and attempt. Hell, 99% of the discussion regarding "mechanical" keyboards are about their elasticity.

What about analog keyboards?

no need for overpriced memeboard
productivity nirvana can only be achieved with a frogpad on one hand and a mouse on the other one

Attached: img_0157.png (777x518, 253K)

There are more types of keyboards than this, but this lists the most common different types of keyboards

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

lol what a moron that guy

Ergonomics, a keyboard that lasts 20-30 years.
Also do you really think big business pays consumer price for gear? Cherry keyboards can be found for less than £60 a piece here so imagine what big business pays when buying in bulk.

>but spending 60 extra dollars for those features is really quite ridiculous
No it isn't. I spent £135 on one of mine and I'd do it again.

>>spilled beerwho drinks beer on his place of work? have some respect for yourself. Also you can dry mechanical keyboards pretty easily

I just came here to ask for a keyboard recommendation, and started to lurk first, came across with this. The reason why I need a keyboard is because my 7-8 years old MK520 Logitech keyboard got bricked due to beer spill of my housemate. MK stands for MouseKeyboard I guess, it is not mechanical for sure.

So, there you go, it does happen. It wouldn't ever happen if it was just me using as the owner, but unless you really are a basement dweller, you'll have friends, and unless you are a autistic, you'll just allow them to use your belongings because they are replaceable.

>mechanical keyboard
>gaymer
Just because 1% of the market is for gaming doesn't make them gaming keyboards.

One is a rubber dome being squeezed onto a circuit board, the other is a physical mechanical switch being opened and closed by a lever.

Because of that rubber domes feel like touching a spoung, and mechs feel like clicking a switch.

Mechs are extremely prevalent in professional environments... they have a much, much smaller footprint in gaming. Hell even POS machines often use mechanical switches. Especially Cherry MX blacks.
The only reason you see rubber domes is because companies can buy their drones them for $5ea. Equipment that's meant to last rarely has them.

>spills drink on mech
>unplug, spray with canned air, leave out to dry
>plug back in. 90% chance it still works

>spill drink on rubber dome
>before you can unplug, board shorts.
>leave to dry anyways
>plug in. Nothing.

It takes a pretty substantial spill to break a mech. Due to how much better each switch is isolated serious problems don't often occur. If there is one it can be easily fixed at a user level.
Rubber domes on the other hand are trashed after even a small spill, exceptions given to ones made specifically to be water resistant (and the key word is resistant).

Oh and thats not including that rubber domes are not user serviceable. Which is why mechanical switches are used in environments like POS, machinery, special purpose/custom, etc.

One group of owners are complete faggots that ruin voice chats and doesn't shut the fuck up about their overpriced typewriter.

>what is the difference between mechanical and other keyboards?

Ordinary keyboards are used by billions of people across the globe. Mechanical keyboards are masturbated over by thousands of idiots who believe they will make them into professional gamers

Are your fingertips so fat that you don't feel any feedback anymore?
This is most retarded reason I've read yet.