/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1529488920265.jpg (572x184, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/sid/linux-image-4.16.0-2-amd64
packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-3.2.0-6-amd64
ftp.de.debian.org/debian-archive/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6.24/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How can I replace cut with delete when I press shift-delete when editing text?

Please be more specific.

How the fuck do you play mkv/mp4 files on openSUSE? This is literally the only distro I've had this problem with.
I've already tried installing ffmpeg, gstreamer etc. as well as used the "1-click codec install" and still nothing.

install a media player maybe? VLC, smplayer etc.

I'm using mpv, it does not play the file and immediately closes.
VLC is complete shit and I'd rather use Windows that it, but I've tried it, and it just gives an error playing h264 files.

Install Gentoo.

Fuck off, this is the actual help thread.

Stop telling people to fuck off, this is the actual friendly thread.

But it is.

>I'm using mpv, it does not play the file and immediately closes.
Does it output any error message to the terminal/stdout?

No, nothing.
I’m trying some other fix and will post update in 10 minutes or so.

What do you think about gaming on Linux?

Perfectly doable if you, like me, play almost exclusively old ass games that can be easily emulated.
Modern AAA games are of course a whole different story, but that is slowly improving.

wine is a hit or miss
native games usually run just fine

The only annoyance I noticed in native games that in Memelands 2 I couldn't bind Ctrl while in Pre-Sequel I could.

I reinstalled it, updated it and ran the terminal commands from the guide site for installing ffmpeg etc. and now it won’t boot into KDM.
Nice.

What's the easiest way to set up a different wallpaper for each monitor on a dual setup under ubuntu?

You should use a complete operating system in order to play games.

If I install KDE in Ubuntu, will I be able to switch between gnome and kde?

i wish linus could put his babies in me

why would you even want this

yes

>emerge -uavND @world
>gcc
>chromium
>tfw

Attached: 1524738740401.jpg (639x749, 107K)

>emerge -avDuN world
>gcc
>also gcc 2 other times for various toolchains
>llvm + clang
>qt
>15+ rebuilds because why the fuck not

Attached: clorox_collage.jpg (1200x628, 94K)

Attached: 1525176978591.jpg (1000x600, 111K)

I have an old PC with a core 2 duo E7500 and 4GB RAM.

What distro should I install on it to make it zippy, and what should I do with it

I bet installing Gentoo would take ages on the old CPU

debian lxde

Debian OpenBox

Debian Xfce

solus

Sup Kev

Debian i3gaps

I just downloaded the current Debian stable netinst and holy fuck it's 300mb. I remember netinst images being a tenth of that when I installed it several years ago. That was a testing netinst though (Wheezy to be more specific). Is my memory failing me, or have they really bloated it so much?

Attached: Dennis-Ritchie.jpg (660x480, 61K)

Debian netinst is light compared to others.

I never said that it wasn't, I just recall that it was much smaller ~6 years ago.

I have a machine with similar specs (only 8GB or RAM not 4GB), and MATE runs amazingly on it. So Debian with MATE, I guess.

seems the kernel has really grown. current stable kernel is 250mb installed packages.debian.org/sid/linux-image-4.16.0-2-amd64
wheezy's kernel from 2013-2016 was about 110 mb packages.debian.org/wheezy/linux-image-3.2.0-6-amd64
i can't find similar stats for older releases but i'm guessing they were even smaller ftp.de.debian.org/debian-archive/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6.24/

Debian

Thanks Microsoft

What are the consequences for me if I break Debian's Social Contract? For example if I discriminate against someone online

You're a faggot.

Literally nothing

i believe Debian's Social Contract is there so you have the freedom to use debian while discriminating against someone online.
Debian will not discriminate against you for this behavior of discrimination.

that only refers to licenses not individuals. the licenses cannot discriminate.

What is the best distro for gaming???

Source Mage GNU/Linux

there isn't a best one, but i recommend solus or lubuntu

Is broadcom firmware free or proprietary?

I need to print something from wine (to a pdf). From ltspice and even though I have cups, cups-libs-32 and cups-pdf installed it still tells me "before you can perform printer-related tasks such as pace setup or printing a document you need to install a printer"

are you able to use the cups-pdf printer in non-wine programs?

accidentally deleted my backlink

Which DE is best for anime?

i3

Linux wireless is a real PAIN IN THE ASS
>with windows:
>go to network adapter website
>download .exe, install, restart

>with linux (not gun/linux (fuck off))
>read pages of documentation
>hunt down wireless drivers
>pray to God it maybe works after hours of tinkering

Fuck this.

Are you stupid?

GNU/Linux*

(You)

>search model number + linux + distro in search engine
>be told how to use it on your favorite distro
>install it
Simple

Don't insult my intelligence like that asshole. I don't even care if this is a "friendly" thread.

I will defend my honor if I have to

good luck user. if its broadcom you're doomed

I can select print to file and generic printer in libreoffice

it is Broadcom BCM43231 which is FUCKED

i3 gaps with polybar, rofi, qutebrowser and qbittorrent

Attached: 67243797_p0_master1200.jpg (600x483, 321K)

more like:
>with windows:
>go to network adapter website
>download .exe, install, restart

>with linux (not gun/linux (fuck off))
>oh hey it already works and I dont have to download anything

forgot feh, urxvt and mpv

I don't understand why winfags are so attached to this system of "hey, lets go download binaries from shady, malware-ridden places like that Cnet download.com, and then run them with administrative privileges! This is a great way to install software!"

You have to be pretty retarded to not be able to tell what is from the manufacturer's website and what isn't.

No, just go to the manufacturers official webzone

Netinst has a few basic packages' .debs so ironically you can install a VERY basic system using the netinst iso without a network connection.

There are those mini.iso install thou which are

proprietary and I think you cannot even distribute them (that's why b43-fwcutter exists btw).

There is a libre firmware for a few broadcom cards but it only supports non-encrypted wifi.

do you really trust all manifacturers?

What does my trust of a manufacturer have to do with "downloading from shady malware ridden places?"

Attached: 15135931.jpg (1600x1064, 382K)

i mean i trusted them enough to buy their hardware.Who isnt to say they dont have a keylogger on a eeprom chip o the motherboard?

after i install manjaro (gnome & xfce), my desktop does not display correctly. I got a black screen on gnome after signing in, and on xfce i get a mouse cursor and a background, thats it. how to fix this?

read var/log/Xorg.log and ~/.xsession-errors to see wath went wrong.

i decided to try opensuse as my first distro, do i choose live image (950mb) or dvd iso (3.6gb)

Go with live image. it will download any extra data it needs on the fly.

forgot to mention, i have no wifi

If you don't have ethernet in 20 fucking 18 then hit the good ol' clorox bottle.

fucking eurokeks and their small hous- ..apartments

If your Windows computer breaks, that's good for the economy because it means you either need a new computer, or get it repaired at some repair shop, or call some support hotline to get walked through fixing it yourself.

Linux, though, is based on free and open source software that is not intended to break. Fixing it if something breaks is free too.

As you can see, Linux is promoting communism and we need to stop it.
We need to bring back good computer repair jobs to da community so poor underprivileged peoples can have dem good computer jobs.
Linux was invented by da evil white man from finland to opress dem poor african americans

>Linux, though, is based on free and open source software that is not intended to break.
>Linux
>not intended to break.

Attached: mfw.jpg (1202x832, 109K)

how can i read it when i cant get into anything, not in the cli via ctrl alt f* combo, cant do anything

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of an error in your post. Luckily, the users of GNU/Linux are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have referred to the GNU/Linux system as "Linux", but Linux is just a part of the system! Whoops! Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. You should always remember to say or write "GNU/Linux", unless you are referring to the kernel "Linux" alone!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to your new operating system!

How secure is SSH? Can a remote server read any of my stuff if I connect to it?

what do you use for mass renaming files?

>Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system

GNU is not an operating system, because an operating system has a kernel, which GNU doesn't.

But GNU has a kernel, user (actually two).

>i discovered this thread 10 minutes ago: the post

>Linux is promoting communism and we need to stop it.
Red Hat says HI!

If I install the vim-gtk package would it install a shitty GUI vim and bloat? I just need to use the clipboard plugin.

Yes

Just set up xclip hotkeys.

Why is making an SD card bootable impossible only for me?

>vim-gtk
>will it install a GUI
hmm

what are the differences between -buntu distros
DE only?

So every fucking day the application color changes in Mumble at 7:30PM. I'm using Manjaro+bspwm+Mate and I can't figure out what's causing it. Googling doesn't help.

Mumble is the only application effected and it uses QSS. Anyone have any pointers to find the shitty setting causing this? I searched dconf to no avail. I don't have or use f.lux either. Nothing in Kvantum or Qt5 settings either.

what managed switch should I buy used for my home servers

What are some good/decent terminals for KDE?
Konsole looks like piss