Why aren't you using xmpp? It's literally godlike

Why aren't you using xmpp? It's literally godlike
>federated server structure
>fully anonymous if you want it to be
>not controlled by a big corporation to be exploited for profit
>simple, text based
>encrypted with the double ratchet algorithm introduced by signal
Migrate from whatever you're using right now, you don't have any excuse not to

Attached: serveimage(2).png (1200x1234, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

about.psyc.eu/XMPP
conversations.im/j/[email protected]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't talk to anyone.

because I have actual friends

>implying

>simple, text based
There's your problem. "Simple" to freetards means no GUI.

Why not get some online mates to talk about your depressing life?

There are multiple guis for multiple platforms available. Use profanity if you want an ncurses interface

discord is eating all the online communities :/

Not him, but if you're looking to get out of depression then it's not good to hang around other depressed people.

All of them are terrible.
WhatsApp is the largest user of XMPP implementation and a big part of that is the WA interface, it's simple and well designed just like Discord.

This is the key difference between proprietary implementations and freetard chat apps, companies can afford interface designers, who in turn make their product usable.

is this text or voice?

Matrix is better.

disco is ass

>simple
Which set of extensions do I need to achieve that?

Proper voice/video call support in clients when?

Well, I don't have depression

It's text, but there's a standardised extension for both voice and video. The support depends on the client implementations though

Matrix is easier to use
OMEMO group chats are aids

Matrix is okay-ish at best, they still have to figure out working encryption and last time I tried they didn't even have single user chats

I use it. I'm happy OTR and Jabber exist. Easier to get people to use than IRC, not including IRC webclients.

>Forcing people to download vapourware just so they can talk to you

Attached: 1528465201631.jpg (1080x793, 119K)

Cause IRC exists.

Doesn't Jitsi run off some form of XMPP?

Attached: cia.png (607x985, 597K)

>federation is a positive
>fully anonymous
Yeah, yeah, nah, yeah.

about.psyc.eu/XMPP

lmao @ (You) thinking open sores encryption standards are safe from CIA. Nothing is safe.

>base64 text encoded file transfers
I shiggy diggy

I have a prosody server on a DO droplet.
Only one other person uses jabber.
I do have my jabberid with my email on my resume (for Unix admin, devop positions) is that autistic?

If you want a discord clone then use riot

>messenger landscape is completely fragmented
>Xabber is an autistic mess
>Pidgin doesn't support message carbons
>there are no good guides for how to fucking set up file transfers on ejabberd
>the only good android client is conversations, which costs money
>astrachat has no message carbons
>gaijim is autistic as fuck with a completely buttfuck retarded UI that doesn't even clearly indicate whether your are online, whether you are on an encrypted connection and how the fuck to try to reconnect (it sure as fuck doesn't try on its own, except for the seldom moments where it does)

I like XMPP and run my own server, but fuck these issues.

i use profanity with omemo plugins
and conversations on android.
works great, except profanity on omemo blindly trusts deviceIDs. Not a huge issue but one that needs to be fixed.

text encoding is fine when your channel's compressed n shit.

>the cia uses the same encryption
>i-it's not save you guys!

You do realize conversations is free software? You can just get it in f-droid or built it yourself

Name one crossplatform desktop/web client that my normie friends will use and that uses omemo.
>tfw gajim beta still looks like shit
I'm waiting for jsxc 4.0 and then gonna host it myself. Probably. Currently using wire, which apart from no delivery status and consuming ridiculous amounts of smartphone battery is pretty great.

How do you tell omemo on profanity to register itself to the server and receive messages? Every time I tried using it the message would be sent unencrypted for unknown reasons and it'd throw an error

/omemo start

>omemo
I'd rather my friends be using OTR, not OMEMO. Pidgin seems to work well for them.

Omemo is set to replace OTR.
Be prepared.

I run a prosody server that enforces OMEMO for my family and a few privacy-conscious friends

OMEMO is designed to be less secure: on purpose, too, because phoneposters don't care about security.

>phoneposters
Yeah it started on phone but now it's an xep standard.

OMEMO thinks it isn't a breach of security to switch from end to end encryption (OTR) to many-ends to many-ends encryption (OMEMO)
Now, everyone is MITM'd!

Show me a proof of concept that breaks offline messages or CC's.

>be retarded enough to use OMEMO
>police take your phone
>police just read your messages as you talk to someone from your desktop, because they all get sent to your phone too

>>police take your phone
holy shit how did that happen?

>police takes your phone
>for some reason your phone is not secured
>you also don't use another account when you phone is taken by the police
It's your own fault at this point

Didn't know that.

Thanks for the information. I thought the appstore version was the only way to get it.

Is there any limitation for sideloading apps via developer mode? I haven't dived much into Android as all the information I could get online was from pajeet-tier websites that make me wonder whether I encountered the Indian twin universe of open source.

But what if it's my own server?
As long as I got encryption to the server, I why should I care?

On a more serious note, what's the difference between OTR/OMEMO and TLS/SSL (I probably fucked up the terminology) encryption for XMPP? I got myself a certificate installed and am using it on my server currently. Do I actually need to do more or is this sufficient safety as long as I own the server?

You don't even need developer mode, just allow f-droid to install apps and you're fine

TLS is fine if you own the server and everyone you talk to owns their own server. OTR makes it so that no server involved can read message text, and also provides additional safeties like fingerprints.
You should install OTR for your client as many people are unlikely to own their own server.

Why is OTR better than GPG if I already use gpg for email?

>all of them are terrible
>what is pidgin

Attached: brain gone.png (211x239, 5K)

Terrible.

I currently have a setup where a handful of people use my server and trust me, so I thankfully won't have to deal with that currently.

If they ever start using XMPP more seriously and write to users of other servers, I'll definitely implement those additional features.

>what are message carbons

>I run a prosody server that enforces OMEMO
How do you do this?

you can revoke trust of keys and messages won't show up

what Is your xmpp OP

there's an extra module that can be easily patched to do that

Can you be anymore vague? faggot.

cry more

You don't need to implement anything, encryption happens client sieded. Your users would just turn on omemo and it works

You can join conversations.im/j/[email protected]