/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: Librebooted_Thinkpads.jpg (2355x2131, 537K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com/my-adventure-with-an-11-year-old-thinkpad-1820617879
tylercipriani.com/blog/2016/11/13/coreboot-on-the-thinkpad-x220-with-a-raspberry-pi/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: b4388176b9f7b30e6ca9371aaae5f4e4aa6c061323d1a9cbe2150c1f3fb0e8d5.jpg (5248x2952, 2.3M)

Should I get a new replacement keyboard or used replacement keyboard for my t430? I don't want to spend too much money. I'm guessing ebay would be the best place to look, right?

I want a thinkpad (economic)
How much will it cost me?

the thinkpile™

Attached: 84ad612860b489d55679c6eb1077ba80eeefffb026d96a9a9bbad5fb630e2726.jpg (2448x3264, 1.79M)

Any recent thinkpads with decent dedicated gpus for gayming? Or I might just get a latitude 6540 for 350

Okay, so I thought about corebooting my t420, but if there are bugs I'm less likely doing it. So, are there many bugs and what are they?

check the op and specify what you want nigger

hi thinkfrend

Attached: 5678856567.jpg (1152x864, 180K)

T440p screens as bad as t430? Asking for a friend

buttofcoarse u silly goose fhd even
Some are. If not FHD from lenovo or swapped by prev owner just follow upgrade path to fhd ftw.
buttofcoarse u silly goose gotta into logged in most likely for I have not traipsed that wasteland inna forever

It may be a comfy buttercup, but
>Win2k GOAT
if you want the Real Business Experience™
>LeanMeanNonBullshitToleratingWreckingMachine
THIS

>Do I really need to download all those drivers again or is some of it bloatware I could do without?
MOST of it is BLOAT. If it says Lelnovo, pass. Other than the display specific cab file, if it says Intel, pass. Grab the synaptics(extract then load manually,) usb3(preference,) ultrasuperfragakeyboard and run basic bitch ms default drivers for the rest, ie. nic, wlnic, bt, usb3, cam, sensors and other stuff. You can run pwm, batteryhealth, lenupdate, sysrestore, backupimgdiscs, widi, sysshockprotect, inteldisplaybloat, intelwirelessbloat, etc from individual exe's or install lean as you see fit. Just know that doing those things some will bring the hurt, errr, bloat.

Hmmm, strange. Is it just the T450? Tried both function key modes?

>cd drive insists on ejecting during boot
>say fuggit leave it open
>boot times decrease
>profit
Leave the lil bastardo qualquierre, abierto. Your boot time will shrink, no scan when not closed. Mine won't open on boot, but I manually eject and leave for subsequent boots. Try fiddling with the boot devices in bios, taking it out of the order, changing its place, etc. Suspect it will be in the bios since occurs across oses.

>ignore goatse, the one trick analomaly
Start with the simplest and repaste with a healthy dose of compressed air.

see

damn get off the thinkpad and enjoy that beach

so, where can i get the classic nipples at? the round-top ones?
i see them in 3-packs that include all styles, but i want to buy them in bulk

Thanks dear

what do you guys do with your old as dirt IBM thinkpads?

make a tower with them like you would with playing cards

Attached: download.jpg (194x259, 8K)

I have a ThinkPad E540 with type A cable (at least thats what it says). I found such cable on ebay but I can only find one with matching DC value. So for mine it should be DC02C004600, but I don't understand why DC02001VHA0 wouldn't work on mine, since they look identical and share that rev :0A thingie.

I can't seem to find out what this value represents and how much does it impact my display. Anyone ever had a similar problem?

I'm running a T410 with ubuntu and i3. It's pretty comfy all things considered. The hardware is a little dated but it does just about everything I need it to do. I had a T500 prior to that until the screen's backlight suddenly died.

What do you use it for?

Question:
Would a t440p with an i7-4700mq and the 1600x900 display be okay for CAD usage?
I am going into an EE program and need a suitable laptop to last 2 years of heavy use, and don't want some gaymur machine.

Cum on them

>parted out and sold my desktop
>T420 finally died a couple months ago
>have old macbook air from 5 years ago
>on it's last legs
>looking to buy a new(to me) Thinkpad
>not sure which model
>not sure which OS to on it
>$800 budget
>grad student/working proffesional
>only necessary applications needed are Firefox and ProtonMail

Any recommendations on model of Thinkpad and which OS to use on it? Thanks.

It might be for a different resolution screen or a touchscreen model. It might be interchangeable.

What are some thickbads approved by the hackerman?

You definitely need an Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

**QUALITY POST**
**VERY CONSTRUCTIVE***
** I HOPE YOU CHUCKLED TO YOURSELF WHEN TYPING THIS**

50 rupees have been deposited into your account

The CPU might cut it but anything below 1080p is bad for reviewing schematics
Buy a W530 with the fastest CPU and make sure it already has the K2000M GPU and 1080p panel, you can upgrade to 32gb ram yourself
If you have the money then might as well get a P50

X230, T430, or W530. Upgrade to 8GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD at least, get a 9 cell battery for all day battery life, then install OpenSUSE Leap with KDE. Make sure to use one partition with XFS so it'll be fast as fuck. Save the other $300-500 you have left over.

Poo in the loo.

X230 w/IPS or T440p w/FHD IPS, Windows 7 or 10 LTSB.

Anybody know a thinkpad that i can both install libreboot on it and a 1080p screen ? ( Even if i have to install it myself )

>T430, or W530
hmm, doesn't the keyboard suck on the those newer models though?

Thanks for the insight

Collect dust.
Though I need to sell some of them.

X1C 4th Gen with NVMe SSD

Attached: Whatthefuck.jpg (1920x2161, 1.62M)

>doesn't the keyboard suck on the those newer models though
No

okay thanks, will look into it

Both the w500 and t500 can use a 1920x1200 screen but >ruining your thinkpad with trannyshit

Hi guys, I'm looking to spend around $1000 but want to buy brand new. I want something that is quick and has decent performance. No autocad or 3d work will be done on it. it also doesn't need to be high res, I'm okay with 1080p.

also, are there options for customizing the kepcaps? This will likey determine my purchasing decision as I like personalized things. Thanks Jow Forums

who /T430 8gb 128gb ssd i5 1400x900/ master race here? just ordered 9cell battery and new trackpoint rubber

What do I do with a Thinkpad X41 Tablet that's been given to me?

play quake

worth noting it'll be used for a cs major and probably nothing else as I have a high end desktop and a gpd win 2

But I can do it on my PC, user

now you can do it on two computers

>T430
T530 is best, no?

about tree fiddy

I'm thinking about getting a X280 at work after I fell for the macOS meme two years ago.

OS would be openSUSE. Does anyone have experience with suse on the x280? Second option for OS would be Fedora, but I like openSUSE more.

Asking if a Dell Latitude (8GB RAM model) is good enough for gaming up to at least AA titles

What's the point of the t530? If you are going to get something as large as 15" you may as well get the full desktop replacement model and go for the w530.
x2x0, t4x0, w5x0 seems the sensible path to follow for older models based on size.

Every single professional developers out there are using the Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

that is true, the W530 seems to be my best option. The only thing is I hope it is not *too* bulky. Won't neccessarily travel everywhere I go with it, but take it on airplanes, library etc

>but I like openSUSE more
teach me the zypper basics m8
i'm a filthy debianfag trying opensuse tumbleweed

Not true. There are a LOT of MacBooks at conferences, though. This will change since Apple focuses more on Instagram kids nowadays.

why do all the t420s have vpro inside

Wait until the Ryzen A and E series arrive, probably sometime later this year. If you absolutely need some kind of laptop in the interim just pick up a used T400 for $60-$100 as a stopgap and then sell it.

If you want to customize keycaps, you’ll probably look like a faggot and regret it in a few years, but the Thinkpad is likely the machine you’d be able to do it on.

The T5x0 series machines are a TINY bit more portable than their W series counterparts, since they use a 90W adapter instead of the needlessly huge and heavy 180W one. They were also cheaper to begin with, so more plentiful. I bought my T500 new and paid $1600 for it, but the EXACT SAME W500 (identical except for the graphics card, after all 15” T series and W series share the same body) would have been $300 more. If you really don’t need the Quadro or FireGL cards (they’re totally out of date now anyways) but want high resolution screens, then the T series is fine.

Just bought a T400 off of ebay for $72. I see the going rate is roughly $30-$40 higher. Should I be concerned?

not at all.
paying more than 80$ for a T400 is a ripoff

Attached: Zajeta slika.jpg (1260x980, 92K)

>bigass enter key
dumf brogposter

YESS!!!!

x230 slb3 ips screen arrived, and it had no dead pixels!!
very much better than shitty tn panel.

>manlet enter key
dumb ansifag

I have the X1 Carbon. Old gen, would it be beneficial to upgrade the SSD from the old 300gb toshiba in it (pretty slow) to a new one for 80$ or so? I paid 205$ for the laptop itself on ebay.

Attached: you want to pray game.jpg (526x358, 31K)

lol big enter is a MUST have!
slam that motherfucker to post reel shitposts!

u wouldnt know

I don't like it but it depends on your preference, the t430 can still get the classic keyboard mod

Is there anything more i can upgrade on x230?
>Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wifi card
>slb3 ips screen
>classic keyboard
>msata ssd
>new trackpad on the way

Tiny enter key is disgusting and not a real key for real men.

Is this guy fucking retarded or what is his deal?

gizmodo.com/my-adventure-with-an-11-year-old-thinkpad-1820617879

>Can't fix a T42
>Can't figure out that his X60 came without footrests
>Didn't buy even a cheap SSD, continues to use 5400 RPM hard drive
>Doesn't clean computer, probably has old shitty paste and is filled with dust
>Runs an unsupported operating system without any Lenovo drivers
>Keeps hitting trackpoint somehow despite the fact that it covers maybe 5-7% of each key that it's nestled between
>"OLD DESIGNS SUCK U GUISE, IT RUNS HOT AND IS SO SLOW, THE NEW SHIT IS SO MUCH BETTER, IT REPRESENTS THE EVOLUTION OF LAPTOP DESIGN, STOP LIVING IN THE PAST"

I'm reminded why I stopped reading this trash.

Attached: x60-trash.jpg (1600x986, 148K)

Look into his eyes and tell him he's retarded

Attached: dreamy.jpg (400x400, 24K)

Why are x200s so expensive on ebay now? I got one for $40 total in 2015 complete with a charger, 2GB memory, and a hard drive with windows vista on it. Now all those that are that price are as-is with everything removed. Same with x201s should be too, but they are not. Why?

I have yet to open up my T440P but can I replace my diskdrive with an SSD? The current HDD is pretty snappy (running Ubuntu 16.04) so I would like to keep that aswell. Who has some experience with this?

He's keeping the prices low

>work IT
>>Retiring about 80 i5 t430s (1/4 of them with broken hinges, fully functional)
>>Going to get scrapped/recycled.
>>Taking a couple home

Attached: IMG_20180619_105433.jpg (4208x3120, 3.82M)

>Have T400
>Decide to get real and teach millennial how bombers do it
> Put Intel® Core™2 Extreme X9100 in machine
>Overclock
>Go from 3.06 GHz per core to 3.7 GHz
>Keh...not bad but...
>Super Overclock
>reach 3.9 GHz per core
AND THIS I TO GO FURTHER BEYOND!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
>88°C
>90°C
>92... 93... 97... 99...
>100°C
N-NANI?! IMPOSSIBRUUUUUU!!!!
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
>100... 102... 103...
OH MY GOD MY SCOOTER MUST BE BROKEN!!!
>104... ... ... ... ... 105°C
*scooter explode*
>DON'T FUCKING THROTTLE ON ME ASSHOLE!!!
>REMOVE ALL LIMITERS
>PUSH THE vCore / VID UP TO AROUND 1.5000!!!
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!
>106°C... 107°C... 110°C
IMPOSSIBRU, CPU ISN'T SUPPOSED TO GO PAST 105°C
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
4.1GHz PER CORE, MORE HEAT THAN THE SUN, MORE POWER THAN THE BIG BANG

T400 and crash and now refuse to boot.
That was nice.
-Keh', nothing personal, millenals
*tips monster can*

TAKE ALL OF THEM

Attached: random_thinkpad.png (700x680, 280K)

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I can hold out.
>If you want to customize keycaps, you’ll probably look like a faggot and regret it in a few years
Nothing to extreme obviously, but I know what you mean. It's tough to find though, I tried looking today and couldn't find anything.

No archive link and instead a direct one. He's not the biggest fucking dumbfuck here.

> (You)
>TAKE ALL OF THEM
Nah. I already do enough inventory management at work for me to have to sort through all of these at home lol

mind taking two and shipping them overseas then? i'll buy them

user pls ;-;

You'd make a decent amount of money selling 80 of those things, though.

I have one day to decide on whether I want to take advantage of the 27% off sale through my work discount (Canada doesn't the US sale with 35% off unfortunately).

>T480
>i5 8350U
>MX150 dGPU
>WQHD IPS screen
>128GB SSD
>8GB RAM
>6 cell 48Wh Rear
>CAD$1619.87
i got the smart card reader and fingerprint sensor because it just doesn't feel like a thinkpad otherwise. I don't really expect to sell this, I fully expect this to last me 4 years going back to school again, and for another 4 years paying off my loans afterwards.

any advice on how to tweak the most retarded financial decision i'm going to make this year (my weed stocks finally broke even so that's not the most retarded decision anymore).

Attached: Capture.jpg (1221x844, 105K)

I'd max the cpu, ram, battery, get a 250gb ssd, remove the dGPU and downgrade the display to 1080p because scaling sucks dick in both Windows and Linux.

Not him but I just got an (old) W series for free from work because they were throwing it out

I didn't realize I was allowed to take them home until now

I skimped on the RAM and SSD because I figure I could get it cheaper upgrading my own. Is Lenovo's upgrades priced reasonably? I'm a bit hesitant on upgrading through the manufacturer's configuration, especially with the shit Dell does with their CTOs.

is the dGPU not good? I'll look into the shit about WQHD scaling because that's a damn pity.

So, now that even fucking hyperthreading is pozzed in Intel CPUs, what are /tpg/ approved options with AMD processors (other than the ryzenpads cuz poorfag)?
Only really need it to be durable and handle some small scale Octave and Spice workloads for school, possibility of processor upgrades a big plus.

Attached: 1521343738166-1.png (1600x1324, 1.88M)

Laptops nowadays are so fucking shit that i already assumed everything was soldered/glued inside which is why i went with maxing everything, if this isn't the case then i think you could avoid maxing the ram/ssd/battery right away.
I also don't give a shit about games that can't be ran by the Intel iGPU and don't do any GPU-intensive work so i'd go with the iGPU but that's just me, your mileage may vary.

Purchasing from Lenovo is shit as well. You get your laptops next year.

The T480s does have 8GB RAM soldered on (with one free slot). I'd have gone for the T480s if not for that. I'm hoping the T480 is only half the brick that the T420/T430 was.

Eight jiggaboo not good enough for you?

it probably is, i'm just being financially retarded. I'll probably end up going for the T480s after all, for some reason the CPU upgrades are much cheaper compared to the T480. I don't understand why.
>$166 to upgrade to i7-8550U from i5-8250U
>$290 for the same on the T480
???

I will most likely drop the shitty dGPU. The iGPU is good enough for light gaming with sim/strategy games especially when I have a desktop for anything more intensive. Apparently I need to have the CPU with the "vPro" for the dGPU, and after some quick reading so far, vPro doesn't sound like a plus at all.

>
>
>Not him but I just got an (old) W series for free from work because they were throwing it out
>
>I didn't realize I was allowed to take them home until now

Yeah if you work at a company that has a good size it Dept. Ask them when is their next upgrade cycle and what do they do with the old stuff. Most places just have them picked up by a recycling company and don't get money for the stuff so they may keep the HDD but you get a piece for free.

> (You)
>mind taking two and shipping them overseas then? i'll buy them
>
>user pls ;-;
How much do these things even go for anyway? I could maybe, but they would be without HDD.

>just negotiated buying a t450 for $140 leafbucks on kijiji
It will be my first thinkpad. Ad says it has an i5 (not specific), 8GB RAM, and a 250GB hard drive (though possibly an SSD judging by the capacity). Hopefully the meetup will go smoothly.

Is the throttling on the X1 Carbon 6th Gen. bad? If so, can it be fixed?

post your thinkfan configs

What part of the country? I'll buy some off you, at least two.

trying to coreboot an x220 but im stuck right near the end:
> ifdtool -x ~/flash01.bin
it cant find or recognize this path/directory, i did a find command and it does not exist.. im one step away from building/compiling coreboot but i cant get this ifdtool procedure to work.
>here's guide im using, on step 12:
tylercipriani.com/blog/2016/11/13/coreboot-on-the-thinkpad-x220-with-a-raspberry-pi/

texas. Let me find out if my boss is ok with me selling these and splitting the profits or something and go from there.

If he gives me the green light you can have as many as you want lol just no HDDs tho.

im thinking i might have missed something along the way. in the guide it gives a link
>svn co svn://flashrom.org/flashrom/trunk flashrom
but i think i had to find a mirror for it (maybe an essential file slipped from my grasp?)
basically about to give up on it. looked for solutions all day.

Can I buy a T480 and change the keyboard to the T420 keyboard

Attached: 1528133384750.jpg (953x1024, 169K)