I3 vs Xfce4?

I've been flip-flopping between the two, but I can't seem to decide which WM/DE to settle on. They're both lightweight and they both are tailor-made for once of my needs: Xfce4 for a cohesive desktop experience on my Thinkpad T510 and i3 for being a great programming environment. Can you Jow Forumsus help me to decide on which one to stick with one or the other, at least for more than a couple hours?

Attached: 087-7ZtHZQ5.jpg (768x1024, 215K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dwm.suckless.org/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Semen demon's name?

If you like them both equally just flip a coin.

God I wish she didn't retire

Why not install both and use i3 as the default window manager in Xfce?

Just install both?

Ai Uehara

didn't she retired like two times alredy ?

I guess. Maybe I could use one one day and switch to the other the next. But that feels like ham-fisted way of solving the dilemma. Thanks for a solution, though.

I've tried that and apparently, unlike wms like icewm or xfwm4, there's no i3 --replace command that works like that.

I already have both of them installed right now.

Nope, they just released old "per-recorded" videos

Cinnamon > *
I still use i3 on an old Chinkpad that I rarely use but I switched to Cinnamon on the desktop.

i3 had plenty of hype for a while but I've come to appreciate the simplicity and efficiency of dwm (on OpenBSD). dwm.suckless.org/

use i3.

it is waaaay better.

been using it since four months, never felt better

why even live..

Attached: tfwnogf.jpg (800x800, 40K)

was dwm hard to use/adjust to (i am currently using i3. confince me to switch)

Why not run both? That's what I do.

i3 for work and any free time programming. Xfce for other peeps on the computer on leisure activities (the ones where I can only have one hand on then keyboard).

if you're familiar with tilling wm, then no
however initial config can be pretty steep, mostly because without some essential patches you'll lose a lot of flexibility compared to i3
once patched (pertag first and foremost, and maybe add a layout you like), its customizability and simplicity is off the charts

switching between wms seems annoying for multiple reasons

what are you missing from xfce4 when using i3?

Have you tried running i3 on top of Xfce? You basically replace xfwm4 with it. Get all the features of a DE with all the features of a TWM in one package.

Honestly, I think it's just a mild case of baby-duck syndrome. I basically grew up using the Windows paradigm of doing things with an OS. After I started using Linux and various DEs that weren't like Windows' dwm, I learned how to use them and got acclimated to using them. However, it's this weird feeling that something's not right if there's not a taskbar somewhere on the screen that pops up when you press the Windows key or Alt-Tab doesn't work. I know how to use i3 and can use it proficiently, but it just feels weird not using something that looks nothing like your average Windows layout. I think I just need to get over that feeling and completely acclimated to using a different paradigm and be able to master both of them. I'm gonna see if I can stick with i3 for a week and see how that plays out.

you could bind alt+tab to focus right to emulate alt tabbing and running xfce-panel (or any other panel) in i3 works really well

>I've tried that and apparently, unlike wms like icewm or xfwm4, there's no i3 --replace command that works like that.

0) Set xfce
1) Remove "xfwm" and "xfdesktop" in Settings Manager / Session and Startup / Session
2) Click Save Session
3) Add "i3" in Application Autostart
4) Remove conflicting key shortcuts
5) Enjoy the best WM combo.

DWM all the way nibba

Can this be done with lxde + i3wm instead of xfce + i3wm?

The i3 CPU is too slow for extreme gaming. You should use your haxx0r monies to buy a real PC imo.