Why isn't Jow Forums still using Go?

Why isn't Jow Forums still using Go?
>open source
>plenty of libraries and documentation
>not verbose, easy to learn and use syntax
>cartoon mascot

Attached: golang.sh_-490x490.png (490x490, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

speakerdeck.com/campoy/the-robustness-of-go
golang.org/PATENTS
thenextweb.com/dd/2017/09/25/facebook-re-licenses-react-mit-license-developer-backlash/
stackshare.io/go
twitter.com/brianhatfield/status/804355831080751104
stackoverflow.com/questions/29662003/go-map-with-user-defined-key-with-user-defined-equality
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not verbose
You lying nigger.

i am

>go.ogle
No

Tell me more about your programmemer experience

it is verbose though
it's not c# style verbosity where everything is written out long form essentially, but it's still extremely verbose

>verbose
ftfy

There isn't really a reason for me to learn it. If I wanted to learn another mid level gc language I'd learn Kotlin or C# before go.

> void* is ugly, interface{} is nicer
> eww using integers for error handling, abusing tuples is nicer
> memory management? fuck that, garbage collection
> templates are ugly. wait never mind, guess we'll just use code generation
> C has a quirky declaration style. let's replace it with an even worse declaration style
> left-sided types are old fashioned, let's flip them to the right and jerk ourselves off about how unique we are
> modern language features are bloat, but garbage collection and code generation aren't

Go mixes all the bad parts of C with all of the bad parts of modern languages, ending up with nothing worthwhile.
It claims to be an effort to make a 21st-century version of C, but fails outright when it decides to ignore tons of modern
language features (look at Rust for a language that didn't ignore programming language research).

Jow Forums isn't using Go because it's a steaming pile of shit that Gulag is spoonfeeding the brainlets of the open source community.

As always, write in C.

Kotlin exists

3 intermediate representations from which one is redundant but enforced to use if you want to inline something with more control (e.g. for math or crypto optimization).
Laughably slow C FFI.
I don't understand why is the stdlib JSON so slow when there are normally-fast 3rd party implementations.
Filled with various badly designed places that don't even simplify the implementation or use.
Not really fast, gccgo isn't considered the default compiler. You don't have to write ugly hacks in C anymore because you can trust gcc and clang to optimize it to the right thing, but I don't really trust cgo.
Castrated type system. Interfaces don't describe behavior of primitive types and such. With dynamic dispatch they usually lead to unnecessary allocations that escape analysis can't catch.
Lack of actor model facilities to actually make CSP-model practical in bigger scale.
Lack of good runtime debugging. There is nothing more handy than attachable REPL.
No interpreter-mode.
No proper dynamic linking.
No proper compile-time data embedding.
Float math only for 64-bit.
Lack of proper cow arrays, instead there is rewriting until view needs to reallocate stupidity.
Multiple return values but no tuple type.
No constructors/initializators. It's not always practical to make zero value practical.

Non-issues:
type after name, oh what's that? you miss C's spiral syntax?
garbage collection in general (not sure about specific implementation)

Have to check how tuples work internally (and compare it to other languages) and overall what return conventions exist for returning something that doesn't fit a register.
Also haven't been following on vgo.
pic unrelated

Attached: lenna_soderberg.jpg (1287x2800, 665K)

>no generics

I decided to port the core pages of wiby.me to golang and just finished over the weekend. Did this because there are a lot of promising benchmarks on Go's performance vs other popular server side scripting languages. I like the idea of goroutines, where different sessions share some of the same subroutines between each other instead of creating separate copies for each session. Go scores very well with the number of users it can handle at once so I thought that would be a good foundation for my own project. I still use PHP for peripheral pages where traffic isn't an issue.

>t. triggered c programmer
>muh traditions
Go is getting tremendous adoption, get used to it

Go 2.0 will have this

I've never seen the original image, no idea it was from a fucking playboy

Because I can program completely smashed in Lisp and still get a working program.

In Go I'd just be told how much of my life is in error.

Lisp is the ultimate therapy.

so you're saying it's being spoonfed to brainlets by an organization with a lot of power

Richard Stallman highly recommends Lisp. What that really means is nobody uses Lisp.

lol no generics

wait what? the logo is from playboy?

i use and love Go
i could complain like everyone else about the lack of generics or decent dependency management, but the reality is that it's the ONLY useful language for writing networked services & orchestration software
plus kubernetes, docker, and everything new in the cloud space is written in go. since that's my field, it's just a huge hassle to try to write in anything else

Yeah, thats some classic test image shit.

Good. Means I get to be way ahead of the tech game.

>terraform
>kubernetes
>docker
>literally powers container infrastructure solutions of most tech orgs

I wouldn't say it's been spoonfed. Orgs try to mimic success, and probably want to use what Google uses.

kek

Basically yes but also it's fine. Those h1b retards can't be trusted to use C in google's code sweatshops.

I agree cloudbro.
Don't you love our big paychecks?

>it's the ONLY useful language for writing networked services
You mean Erlang lad

Because Java is faster and if I wanted syntactic sugar I'd use Kotlin

>preferring Java for anything

Attached: thumb.png (800x450, 359K)

Pros:

Awesome compiler.
Beginner friendly.
Fast.

Cons:

Shit language specification.
Bad error handling.
For pajeet by pajeet.
Constraining, lacks many modern features.

I'm on the fence regarding go. On one hand it's horrible on the other, it has excelent tooling and it's pretty fast.
On a not-very-related note, but since we're all cloudbros, how long is going to take before AI and Deep Learning replaces us? Does this field have a future beyond 2025?

Actors are not as easy to deploy on a cloud environment. Kubernetes + Go combines the best of both worlds. You get static typing + resilience

Stay strong on automation and infrastructure as code for now. We've got a good 15 years left until we have to worry about that.

Stack money, work remote if you can and move to a low COL area. That's my plan anyway.

Well to be fair you're supposed to use function specs to ensure data comes in and goes out as expected. You also get hot code loading which (I imagine) would be super handy in a cloud environment.

No idea about about kubernetes or go resilience

speakerdeck.com/campoy/the-robustness-of-go

This. Kotlin is probably the best accessible language right now. Yes Scala is more powerful but it's a fucking mess

That's cool. Is Kubernauts or w/e built by google?

It's pretty fucking verbose, user. That's why it's so readable. I enjoy writing Go though. I would gladly get paid to develop with a Go server stack.

>>open source
Nope, this is the same shit shitbook did with react
golang.org/PATENTS
But with react community said 2 shitbook or you re-licensing or fuck your shit we will use vue and shitbook re-licensed
thenextweb.com/dd/2017/09/25/facebook-re-licenses-react-mit-license-developer-backlash/
but go community do not care about using this anal limited technology, so just fuck go and it community of google $laves

Go is apparently really popular outside the anglosphere, especially in China.

I wonder why.

>>plenty of libraries and documentation
>>not verbose, easy to learn and use syntax
in what universe

>lol
>no
>generics

Mostly came out of their own implementation for container orchestration that they then open sourced and now it's the biggest thing in cloud infrastructure.

got deleted, dunno why, that pic has been shown in schools for decades 3 intermediate representations from which one is redundant but enforced to use if you want to inline something with more control (e.g. for math or crypto optimization).
Laughably slow C FFI.
I don't understand why is the stdlib JSON so slow when there are normally-fast 3rd party implementations.
Filled with various badly designed places that don't even simplify the implementation or use.
Not really fast, gccgo isn't considered the default compiler. You don't have to write ugly hacks in C anymore because you can trust gcc and clang to optimize it to the right thing, but I don't really trust cgo.
Castrated type system. Interfaces don't describe behavior of primitive types and such. With dynamic dispatch they usually lead to unnecessary allocations that escape analysis can't catch.
Lack of actor model facilities to actually make CSP-model practical in bigger scale.
Lack of good runtime debugging. There is nothing more handy than attachable REPL.
No interpreter-mode.
No proper dynamic linking.
No proper compile-time data embedding.
Float math only for 64-bit.
Lack of proper cow arrays, instead there is rewriting until view needs to reallocate stupidity.
Multiple return values but no tuple type.
No constructors/initializators. It's not always practical to make zero value practical.

Non-issues:
type after name, oh what's that? you miss C's spiral syntax?
garbage collection in general (not sure about specific implementation)

Have to check how tuples work internally (and compare it to other languages) and overall what return conventions exist for returning something that doesn't fit a register.
Also haven't been following on vgo.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-21 07-36-52.png (826x487, 126K)

It's a shitty version of C++.

>superior version
ftfy

Perl 7 will have this.

Im using Nim.

>not verbose
if err != nil {
return err
}
if err != nil {
return err
}
if err != nil {
return err
}
if err != nil {
return err
}
if err != nil {
return err
}
if err != nil {
return err
}
if err != nil {
return err
}
if err != nil {
return err
}

Hello there! You seem to have used the term "open source".
The term "open source" was created by a group of people that did not want to be associated with the free software movement. When I say "free" software (which is one of the alternatives preferable to "open source"). It's not about price; in that case I would say "gratis", or "free as in free beer". It's about "freedom"! This is what the free software movement is fighting for.
So what is "free" software? Free software is any software that guarantees the user the four essential software freedoms:
> 0. Run the program as you wish.
> 1. Study the source code and change it so it does what you wish.
> 2. Redistribute exact copies of the program.
> 3. Distribute your modified version of the program.
Some people decided that they wanted to restrict the user; but being able to study and modify the "open source" code is not enough! This is directly hurting the cause of the free software movement because it takes away the sociological "freedom" aspect of free software and turns it into a technological one.
So for those reasons I ask that in the future you use the terms "free", "free/libre" or, if necessary "FLOSS" (short for "free/libre and open source"), though the latter should still be avoided.
--- COPYRIGHT NOTICE ---
This text is part of the public domain. It may be freely modified, distributed and otherwise used as the reader wishes.

>The term "open source" was created by a group of people that did not want to be associated with the free software movement.
kinda fits the topic, I don't see a misuse there

He's presenting source openness as a positive thing, when he's overlooking the much more important aspect of software freedom. Source openness is pointless without the other software freedoms. He should call the software what it actually is: free, or proprietary (non-free).

doing the God's work

Can't into dynamic linking, insanely large and bloated binaries.

Retarded C-esque error handling instead of monadic handling or exceptions.

GOPATH fuckery for importing libraries from git, it's even a worse clusterfuck than Java-style classpaths and package naming.

Maintained by Google and former UNIX dinosaurs turned into gay hipsters.

>verbose
>made by an advertisement company by the worst PL people they have
>one trick pony (concurrency)
>not even basic metaprogramming
>custom preprocessor memes
>C syntax
>less libraries and documentation than other language, shitty packagement
>basically Java, but worse
>shitty compromised GC
>I might as well use pascal
>shitty mascot, Chris-Chan tier
Did I mention that it's created by a botnet company?

see also

look at pantsu

But I am and I'm loving it.

Why would I look at some weeabo underpants?

> no package versioning or dependency management
> slower than even some dynamic languages and runtimes like Node
> most retarded exporting (i.e. starting with capital letter) and importing (i.e. fqdn) ever
> no ternary operator
> no compilation with unused variables!
> no ternary operators
> slow json parsing
> slow FFI
> imposing camel case
> lack many features compared to every other language that was started in the same era
> syntax is ugly and verbose, it looks like an ugly version of C without the control that C offers
> no REPL
> retarded error handling
> slow GC

the mere fact that Go is widely used says a lot about the tech industry and young developers

Jow Forums is always bullying Gopher.

Attached: 1518027447709.png (600x848, 635K)

>STW GC

LMAO @ U

Why does Go even exist

lol no generics
lol if err != nil { return err }

too inexpressive and boilerplatey

using tuples for error handling is a hell of a lot better than out parameters and errno

for googlers to create high quality code without breaking shit

Out of pure curiosity and with no ill intentions whatsoever, which high-profile services in Google were written in Golang?

everything is better than errno

>high-profile services
Go isn't really going to be the mainline for the high profile service directly, but rather what powers it. For example google handles all downloads dl.google.com through Go. Other Go users - stackshare.io/go

> no package versioning or dependency management
Incoming. I think it's not very useful though.
You can just fork the necessary libraries, and do dependency management that way, which is smarter anyway.
> slower than even some dynamic languages and runtimes like Node
No.
> most retarded exporting (i.e. starting with capital letter) and importing (i.e. fqdn) ever
Just a question of taste. This way you at least know whats exported and what not.
> no ternary operator
Unneeded sugar.
> no compilation with unused variables!
No big deal.
> slow json parsing
Slow json parsing in the standard library.
There are very fast libraries available.
> slow FFI
True, and your only argument that actually can be a deal-breaker.
> imposing camel case
No.
> lack many features compared to every other language that was started in the same era
And thats a good thing.
> syntax is ugly and verbose, it looks like an ugly version of C without the control that C offers
Go looks pretty nice for a pretty much procedural language.
> no REPL
Who needs that shit?
> retarded error handling
Multiple returns is the best error handling in terms of flexibility and clearness.
> slow GC
Lol. Gos GC is pretty fucking amazing. See twitter.com/brianhatfield/status/804355831080751104
The best thing about gos GC is that its easy as fuck to relieve the garbage collector of pressure, just by preferring simple datastructures like slices.

In the end go is just a simple well thought out language with a limited set of nice features.
We had enough bloated programming languages all these years, so it's nice to see someone try something different
For some reason people are really mad at it also being successful.

So it's basically an ops language?
Couldn't they have used something like OCaml or create their own implementation of the JVM instead of creating a new language from zero that doesn't add anything to what we already have?

source?

>it's obvious the mascot can't Go anywhere
what did they mean by this

might give it a chance in 2.0 when there's generics and better error handling, it's an awful language atm

>Java
>Fast
user Please more jokes

Some one shoot it in the head

Java is fast. It's not 2000 any more.

lol its a dead lang. Have fun fucking a dead corpse notch.

Because it's a cheap copy of Glenda.

For me it's the lack of good functional features.
I know that Go is meant for dummies, but seriously, is filter/map/reduce so hard?!?

It is without generics.

So much this.
I never thought not having generics was going to be such a pain in the ass. No collections API, no way to compare two objects, not having shit like a Set that you can use to prevent having duplicates. (I know you can make a map[string]bool, but you can't make a map of structs -> bool).

Didn't like it, there has to be a better way to code in the 21st century.

Are you sure you can't make a map of struct -> bool?

>cartoon mascot
>cartoon
That's the mistake. It's not an ANIME mascot so it's not worth shit to Jow Forums.

Attached: 1473193186124.png (390x820, 9K)

This. The thing's made by Google, and is basically a re-invented bicycle.

With double extra training wheels. The training wheels matter because this is Jow Forums.

yes

stackoverflow.com/questions/29662003/go-map-with-user-defined-key-with-user-defined-equality

That's basically like C error handling, and in many cases, it's not as verbose as exceptions.

>open source
isn't everything?
>plenty of libraries and documentation
>not verbose, easy to learn and use syntax
same applies for many other languages
>cartoon mascot
not an anime grill

>Isn't everything?
no, java is not, c is not, not everything is open source
Same applies for many other languages
>true, try libraries.io to see how many libraries you find for go and how many for others
>not an anume gurl
still cartoon

>by pajeet
Bitch dont talk about ya boi Rob Pike like that

what does verbose even means?

>Java
>dead

retarded 1st year cs student spotted

Both it and exceptions are terrible

people who enforce their gay ass views on anyone who's using their open source software should kill themselves. that is the reason why nobody wants to associate with oss.

So much this

Despite a bunch of retards saying otherwise, nobody is leaving the JVM anytime soon. Imagine how good the JVM has to be, that in the age of containers where you could make apps in any language Java keeps winning.

Go is horrible for writting business logic, you know, the kind of code that makes companies earn money, and hire people, who have like...actual jobs. That kind of thing

>no, java is not, c is not, not everything is open source
i'd use python, ruby or lua any time of the day instead of go. also, c is a language (standart) which is open and there are open source implementations of it. there's openjdk which is open source but i'm fine with you saying that whatever oracle is developing should not be touched with 10ft pole.
>true, try libraries.io to see how many libraries you find for go and how many for others
as if all of those packages were something different and not forks of each other or something so trivial you'd make it on your own.
>still cartoon
oh pls

I don't care if it is verbose or not. I don't mind verbosity. Actually, in some ways I prefer verbosity because it is easier to follow.

>> C has a quirky declaration style. let's replace it with an even worse declaration style
>> left-sided types are old fashioned, let's flip them to the right and jerk ourselves off about how unique we are
Spoken like someone who has never implemented a compiler. It's not even possible to parse C without compiling it at the same time thanks to its retarded decl syntax.