DISABLE HYPERTHREADING RIGHT NOW!

>Why should I disable hyperthreading?
tl;dr: it's vulnerable to spectre.
The two virtual threads on the physical core share the physical L1-Cache and the Translation Lookaside Buffer. Those are exposed to timing attacks. You simply dont want privileged and unprivileged processes to share a cache or a buffer. You can prevent this by disabling hyper-threading.
>Source?
tomshardware.com/news/openbsd-disables-intel-hyper-threading-spectre,37332.html
theregister.co.uk/2018/06/20/openbsd_disables_intels_hyperthreading/
You need a more credible source? Go search your own, they are out there.
>A bunch of kiss-less openBSD developers are exaggerating, why should I care?
Because there are currently 5(formerly 6) new spectre vulnerabilitys under embargo.
The OpenBSD guys leaked one of the six vulnerabilitys: Lazy FP State Restore (CVE-2018-3665).
It's safe to assume that they know more about this shit than you and I.
Also they worked on a spectre/meltdown fix 11 (ELEVEN!) years ago.
Source: marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118296441702631&w=2
>Will it impact performance?
Hyper-threading can even lower performance. But it really depends on the type of your workload.
You can enable/disable hyperthreading on the fly in Linux (e.g. before/after compiling stuff, rendering, calculate your weight).
>on the fly? How?
Find out which virtual cores share the same physical core (core_id)
grep /proc/cpuinfo -e processor -e core\ id

Write a script like enable_ht and disabled_ht and store it somewhere like /usr/local/bin.
Make sure this folder is in your $PATH
disable_ht:
#!/bin/bash
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu5/online
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu7/online
echo "Hyperthreading disabled"

echo 1 > is for enabling.
>What about other OS?
Dunno, disable it in BIOS or use a search engine.

Attached: 8-More-Spectre-Vulnerabilities-Have-Been-Found-In-Intel-Chips.png (800x420, 124K)

Big if true

Thanks Kanye, very cool

yeah im not turning my hypermeme quad core into a dual core id rather be ratted desu

it was never a quad core.
all you did was turn an i3 into a pentium

you're telling me, I seriously need the extra concurrency though this thing blows dick

yes 2c/2t is a noticeably worse user experience than 2c/4t. You are SOL until you stop using freebsoyd

How about you don't run fucking malware on your computer? Problem solved

How about Intel stops getting fucked in the ass every time the window blows?

>window
Shit, now my proficiency at the English language is going to be called into question.

>faulty hardware is malwares fault
???

17 shekles have been deposited into your account

Attached: bjyJsCP.jpg (220x200, 8K)

>5(formerly 6s feed and seed)

Thanks Kanye, very cool

Attached: [Final8]The Legend of the Legendary Heroes - Special (BD 10-bit 1920x1080 x264 FLAC)[24061DFA].mkv_s (1417x797, 88K)

>under embargo
can you explain further? how come embargos are possible on things like this?

>how come embargos are possible on things like this?
you dont sue

>tfw bought a 6700k a year and a half before ryzen came out
I'm sorry, Jow Forums, I should have believed you and JustWaited™. The one time in my life I purchase an Intel CPU and my shit gets thoroughly fucked up. I miss my Phenom II every day...

microsoft needs more time for fixing the stuff, so everyone else waits for them with releasing information and bugfixes

>Intel is better than PooMD

Attached: 1528523083119.png (653x726, 84K)

what if my thinkpad has 4/8, should i disable HT?

yes, I have done that on my i7 t440p and I dont feel a difference

this is a local attack, retard

>i7 t440p
mah nigga same here
wanna watch loli anime together

Im a bit new to this Anime thing, I only now stuff like dbz, onepiece, AoT...
Can you recommend some "loli anime" ?

NOOOOOOO

Attached: 1506977173618.jpg (882x758, 324K)

>mfw my CPU isn't a piece of shit so I don't have to deal with this nonsense

Attached: 1523433903969.jpg (1038x1000, 140K)

yuru yuri

Yeah whatever, I’m not turning my 4c/8t mobile i7 into an i5 because some spoopy vulnerability might steal my anime folder.

I have weekly backups as well, so I don’t fucking care.

is ryzen susceptible to this ?

Attached: Untitled.png (480x299, 52K)

no

Lmao how Intel can go from dominating the market to JUST status is baffling to me.

Will this effect my fps in games ? I reverted all spectre/meltdown patches for more performance.

>there are people who actually fell for the hyperthreading meme
fucking jej

boku no pico

The emperor had no clothes. The whole "muh IPC" was based on shitty hacks and shortcuts.

>muh IPC
That's pretty much the only excuse for hating pic related, referring to single core benchmarks in 640x480 from fucking 2003, any modern software or game will leverage this fine.

Attached: ayymdeee.png (777x818, 54K)

Yes, Facebook and video games will run just fine on your poodozer, go back to streaming minecraft.

Don't you have security issues to patch?

Oni Chichi
Namanaka Hyaku Percent!
Shoukoujo The Animation
Suki de Suki de, Suki de The Animation

>spectre
no one cares

Intel's processors continue to retroactively lose performance making Bulldozer look good in comparison. Hilarious.

I still liked my 8320.. replaced it.. for a 3970X
Whooops.

intel exposed.
your ipc is a lie.

Is this the 40 year x86 anniversary bug?
Happy anniversary x86

>i-core shitfest owner
Proud cuck.
AMD fine wine indeed.

You gonna get vanned boy

Attached: you cant do anything.png (300x200, 137K)

If it's so easy to turn hyperthreading on or off, couldn't a virus taking advantage of it just turn it on first ?

only with escalated privileges

probably less so if from the bios level
my ryzen bios has options for smt and xfr

You give the hardware and software vendors a chance to fix or mitigate the issue first, so the exploit isn't out in the open for jamal to use before it's been patched.
Because the hardware and software vendors know that the exploit WILL be released to the public, they have incentive to actually fix that shit.

If you just drop it (a zero day), then there's a period where everyone is vulnerable and not patched, and if you only tell the vendors, then they don't really have any incentive to fix it.
The embargo gives vendors time to fix the issue while also lighting a fire under their ass to make sure they do so.

in theory. in reality the vendors keep asking for extension after extension, so everybody's stuck on vulnerable code for months longer than necessary.

Having the required privileges would make this side-channel irrelevant anyway, you could just directly view the process memory.

Ya know what would REALLY light a fire under their ass? releasing the damn exploit immediately

And leave everyone vulnerable in the meantime?

Basically if you're still running intel, you don't give a fuck about security anyway so what difference does it make?

prisma Illya

There are no spectre or meltshit viruses period. AMD propaganda made people lose performance

Is FreeBSD under embargo or cuckBSD got ignored on this one?

Who cares about freeBSD.

OpenBSD is where it's at.

I do, for 3-6 months before we migrate away from FreeBSD at work.

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

Attached: 1497025286850.png (1070x601, 495K)

With Intel® everything is possible!

SPECTRE IS NOT TRUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1515145992968.jpg (691x771, 64K)

>tfw i5
>4 cores each with 1 thread
Not so bad

I got an I7 7700HQ, how fucked am I? I am also a total noob when it comes to cumputers. Pls halp

meanwhile on my 16smthreads
Oh wait everything is fine

intel are fuckd

Attached: file.png (1440x870, 430K)

Modern pentiums are HT tho

Attached: 2018-06-21_scrot-or8.png (650x60, 2K)

@BAIT_BOI
weak damage control is weak

>intel needs more time dumping stock
ftfy

everyone IS vulnerable in the meantime

PC tech is a fucking brutal market

Remember Cyrix? PowerPC? Nobody does!

I've got a Cyrix processor within reach and multiple PowerPC machines in the toom

my negro

eh not very they are only after big datacenters shit not retards from Jow Forums
fucking POST them i have been dying to see some in the wild, never saw them back in the day cunt.

No camera

Jow Forumsood

This, it's quite incredible how people will believe it's impossible for other researchers and black hats to find out this vulnerabilities
Theo just proved for terribly bad the embargoes work, they are just another form of corporate welfare to keep the major vendors ahead of the minor ones

Literally a non-issue for me.

RRAAAHHHHH IT'S NOT FAIR I FUCKING HATE AMD AND THEIR ARMY OF HACKERS

don't really care enough to turn off the hyperthreading, but hopefully there's a settlement soon with all of these performance-degrading vulnerabilities desu

We don't know but apparently part of them were under the embargo for FP Lazy Restore, so most probably they are for this ones
Their fix was rushed though, so I guess you can expect them to not have the patches ready
Most timing vulnerabilities are pretty much irrelevant for desktops, as long as you aren't running untrusted code on your machine you shouldn't care about side channel attacks
However cloud vendors do care, and a lot

It's all crashing down. How did jewtel go from undisputed King of shit mountain to JUST in such a short time period?

and you can thank intel for that
i bet they still haven't paid a dime

>The whole "muh IPC" was based on shitty hacks and shortcuts
SHUT IT DOWN

yep fuck intel i literally got rid of my i5 4690 when zen dropped
competition and talent on both sides.
they let their once decent IGP die, then they got lazy and let all the good people walk away.

>buy an unlocked i7
>D-don't overclock, goyim! It's bad for the cpu!
>T-turn off HT, it's not secure!
Now you are stuck with your lock i5 on your zx70 board and you paid 3 times as much as you needed. Lol

most people wont care about any of it tho.

The people that do care are ditching intel ( big server farms, embedded markets etc)

tl;dr does this affect my windows?

This is p3 bug

>The people that do care are ditching intel ( big server farms, embedded markets etc)
This is what matters the most though. Your average normalshit is irrelevant.

What are the chances that this become a serious issue and intel drops a forced patch on every cpu to forcibly turn off ht?

funny thing is though intel lost those markets years ago but everyone was waiting for zen.

Now Gen 2 and 7nm has already dropped intel are fucked!
Yes.
Well basically i reckon they are fucked, considering most servers are nix based hahahahah

this is just a shitty meme. they want that people install updates and change settings so the computer becomes slow and retards would buy new. no one has ever hacked anything with these and it was supposed to be so easy that you could do it with js through a web browser..

Attached: 00.png (274x242, 16K)

intel dont have anything faster then zen 64core TR tho which is what is going to fuck them in the server market.

looks like 20+ years of them being fucking cunts to AMD has finally backfired.

Now this is Jow Forums

Think about your safety

YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK!

why would intel want to cripple their own cpus when they need the IPC/ht shit the most?

its not like their 10nm or 7-3nm shit is anything but dead in the water