So why does anyone run anything other than this...

So why does anyone run anything other than this? The only distro I've ever tested that runs smoothly and doesn't encounter errors every other task I try to complete.

Attached: apps.56888.13526102493007551.60796bda-032f-48ae-9243-6433d02d3a38.png (180x180, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/steam
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I like more updated packages so I run debian testing

Because Kubuntu exists.

gaymes

botnet
why use anything else than arch linux?
it just works on my desktop PC

because the aur is more convenient than adding a ppa every time I want to install software that for whatever reason they didn't see fit to include int the distros standard repo. that's literally the only reason I use arch

>K - Ubuntu

Exactly. Best OS and DE combination.

Arch has a better package manager.

It's not source-based and it defaults to systemd. Also, it often has botnet features and, even if I was willing to use a binary-oriented package manager, I much prefer pacman to apt.

Attached: 1526799897351.jpg (540x393, 15K)

gnomeme is the only desktop eviroment backed by cannonical, so it's shit.

Attached: 1463711494263.png (347x429, 219K)

>So why does anyone run anything other than this?
because its literally trash
>The only distro I've ever tested that runs smoothly and doesn't encounter errors every other task I try to complete
maybe your just dumb
QubesOS is god tier

Honestly, I don't like ubuntu.

What have you been trying user. I use arch and never have errors.

Ubuntu without the bullshit.

Attached: debian.png (2267x1763, 784K)

i find arch easier and more convenient to use

Basically Ubuntu is boring and not very tinker-friendly.

Attached: 1528993192297.jpg (326x273, 68K)

Alpine because it's a GNU-free minimal Linux, which is ideal for VMs and containers.

Anything Debian related is shit.

GNOME, systemd, Amazon, there's just too much shit in here

>GNOME
Nothing wrong with it, it's elegant, professional and modern.
>systemd
Nothing wrong with it.
>Amazon
Can be removed completely.

I don't get it either.
I've tried other distros but they literally just do not "work"

>install manjaro
>download something from AUR
>need to do a bunch of fucking stupid setting up PGP key shit to make the download work
>10 minutes later after figuring it out..it just crashes on launch
>have to compile from source
>just launches then crashes
>uninstall on the spot as I can't be fucked repeating this 100 times

>install opensuse
>wow, all these cool settings
>resize a window
>it just fucking breaks and displays an invisible window in full screen
>try to use firefox without the title bar
>now I can't resize using the corners of it
>KDE is just generally fucking retarded and doesn't work as I would expect an OS to work
>uninstall

>install kubuntu
>crashes every time the fucking discover decides to do anything
>same resizing window problem as opensuse because KDE sucks dick
>uninstall

>install ubuntu
>everything just works
>no problems no matter what
>have to do a bit of tweaking to make some things work but it's a simple google search and 3 minutes of time
>install from terminal, software center or synaptic and all 3 always work perfectly as expected
>take off title bar and I can still resize the fucking window

fucking stupid

>i can't recognize that i'm having driver issues because i can't be fucked to figure out whether or not my hardware is actually supported by Linux: the post

Attached: 1501280275957.png (468x347, 98K)

None of these problems are hardware related in any way

Yes they are.

is Plasma 15.3 available on Kubuntu 18.04?
I'm using regular Ubuntu, can i install KDE and completely uninstall gnome or do i have install Kubuntu from scratch?

Doesn't really hold water anymore.

I'm running Kubuntu. I've been playing ES:O and Fallout 3 via Wine with Vulkan the last few weeks. Not much difference in performance from when I had Windows.
SteamOS/Linux library is growing.

Because my experience with Linux taught me what being in a religious cult does to your brain.

That's why you should avoid people who insist on the GNU bullshit. It's a serious red flag. Linux in itself is fine.

I don't think you even know what the word hardware even means.

Because the majority of the people on Jow Forums don't actually have any projects they are actively doing that would benefit from the linux environment, so they spend their days endlessly polishing their tools and shitposting about it.

I don't think you even know what the phrase 'driver issues' means.

>Ubuntu
>doesn't encounter errors
Literally how
It breaks everytime I install it

Manjaro is more stable. I've had more issues with updates in Ubuntu than Manjaro. Plus I hate dealing with PPAs

it literally works

I make most of my headless vms and containers with ubuntu

If you REALLY want Just Works, install the oldest supported LTS for Ubuntu. Enjoy

Fuck off

I use arch because making aur scripts is easy as fuck. I work in embedded software, and more often than not, I encounter a piece of software that's not in the repo, so I have to compile it from source. This makes it worth it to create aur scripts, so that the software can be installed as a package with minimal effort.
Plus Ubuntu IS rather heavy. I mean it's not bad, but I personally prefer lighter setups without as many bells and whistles

Ubuntu with GNOME is the worst desktop experience I have ever seen. Even Unity was better. Even fucking vanilla GNOME is better. What sick demented idiot thought that switching windows from the dock should rearrange them? What the fucking hell were they thinking?

What's wrong with Ubuntu Testing?
I think he meant Ubuntu as a whole
lol, right. With anywhere near as much availability?
Not everyone's running a server. If you're running QubeOS on a desktop or laptop primarily, you're an idiot.
You mean PPA's and a much larger community?
Try installing anything mainstream like Steam or Android Studio.
What makes it any less tinker friendly thank any other Linux distro?
That sounds impractical as hell, just get Ubuntu minimal.

Everyone I replied to either doesn't have a job, or way too much time on their hands.

>Try installing anything mainstream like Steam or Android Studio.
i don't use android studio, but steam works just fine

>Everyone I replied to either doesn't have a job, or way too much time on their hands.
i switched away from ubuntu because i was sick of finding ppa's, and fixing shit after major upgrades

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/steam
I never said it won't work, just that it's a pain to bother with fiddling around.
I switched away from Debian because I was tired of finding out how to get PPA's to work with it. If you want a Linux Desktop experience, one way or another you'll either come across them, unless you use something RedHat based.

I used to be like you guys, installing Gentoo, Slackware, and FreeBSD. It gets pretty redundant after a while when you realize everything is already done for you.

Continued, This picture saved my life.

Attached: timesink.jpg (1000x1000, 282K)

I've heard debian testing is about as stable as Ubuntu. I ran debian stable for a while. Is this true? I like debian but the older packages was kind of annoying. How is testing compared to stable security wise?

>see this image over a year ago when I was getting into arch
>attribute it to sour grapes
>think i'll never go back to being a filthy casual
>am now employed and have a gf
>now using non-riced ubuntu LTS
>mfw I miss being a neet but dont want to leech off of my parents

life is suffering

Attached: welcome.jpg (561x453, 55K)

>install ubuntu
>can't set a custom desktop color, forced to use a handful of preset colors
Uninstalled right then. If they can't even get the absolute basics right, there's no way they got anything else right either.

5 years and still using mint

what do you mean "custom desktop color"?
there's plenty of themes on gnome-look for everything

accurate af

Exactly what it says. You cannot pick a custom color for your desktop background.
>but you can download
No, fuck you. I'm not downloading an entire theme for something that literally every other OS in history, even Ubuntu's previous versions, offered right out of the box.

>error message boxes out of nowhere everytime the computer boots up
>needs you to add a ppa to install anything, but shits itself if you add to many ppas
>telemetry

oh boy, why would anybody use anything else?

You can literally make Ubuntu as customizable as any other distro. Write a series of shell scripts that compile programs, make your own package installer. That's a lot more ((1337)) than a 2013 gentoo fag mindset.

gnome is shit, installing cinnamon over ubuntu is a pleasant experience though

I'm with this user except I still don't use arch

The AUR is a brilliant idea, though.

Rule 1 of developing software:

NEVER BLAME USERS OR DRIVERS

nigger what the fuck, you can create any color background you want and then use that without using the internet, it would take 3 seconds to create.

You have three seconds to show everyone how to set a custom desktop background color in Ubuntu 18.04

If your first instruction is "open the terminal", you've already failed.

he probably means that you can make a wallpaper on gimp or whatever, which would work, but it is still just a workaround.

It's a pretty basic thing that shouldn't have been removed.

done.
steam was 20s task but android studio is 15-20min process

just install 'steam' and 'steam-native-runtime', just werks

>years after distrohopping you have the perfect configs for literally every program in existence
>adjust make.conf
>compile gentoo
>cp every config to $HOME
>emerge @world once a month
happy life

>after years of distrohopping*

>>Amazon
>Can be removed completely.
It should not be there in the first place.

>window resizing
Actually, i'm having the same issue on Kubuntu. Is there a fix?
Only Firefox refuses to resize, which is a pain in the ass because it is the fastest way to test responsiveness of a website

amazon won't be there if you choose the minimal install, which includes all necessary programs and cuts the fat.

I like Ubuntu, but I actually stopped using it due to all the bugs.

I'm moving from W7 to Linux since I'm getting into web dev and it seems the way to go for any serious work.

Overall it works fine but I might try installing KDE since gnome seems a bit sluggish.

I also haven't found a foobar2000 replacement so I will probably fuck around with wine.

>runs smoothly and doesn't encounter errors
nope

i had the misfortune of dealing with their 17.10 release, it was / is pure adulterated crap, from the installer (which is debian which is also crap) to the tty weird errors and the unbelievably bad video playback and computing in general

>protip
if you even need to install this just use the lubuntu desktop .iso

Use a gtk3 theme with larger borders, it looks ugly but it works.

All gtk3 programs I've tested have this problem (gtk2 works fine) and I'm avoiding them like the plague just because of how weird they look, I think they don't integrate well with kwin or something.

Recently I ended up switching to chrome because it integrates a lot better and I don't have to deal with a fucking patch to get thumbnails.

GANOO/Linux would be 50x times better if the gnome devs suddenly woke up one day and decided that they would stop being assholes.

Pacman is a toy

It means other can, but Gräßlin can't. So it must be the drivers or Xorg fault.

t. red hat cuck

Hahaha.

Accurate/10 though my experience goes more like this:
>Have old XP machines
>Generally tired of Windows, search for free alternatives
>Find out about Linux
>Search for lightweight distros
>Lubuntu seems alright for a beginner
>Install it
>LXDE looks dated but IGAF
>Using Lubuntu since 13.04, now running 16.04 LTS until it's no longer supported

Life is good when you keep things simple

What ppas are essential to you?

Ubuntu always had xorg crashes when I used it. It seemed daily it would crash. Nautilus would freeze when trying to drag and drop, which pwned me whole tty session

I've since switched to arch and have had 0 problems ever

What about Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate?
For some reason Ubuntu 18.04 install is faulty

>implying I don’t
At least throw gnome in the trash, especially ubuntu-gnome, and if you’re on

>naut
man thunar

I've found Ubuntu Mate is the most stable user friendly distro on the market. Since it runs Ubuntu it should be fine for development

I can just install a new DE like mate on top of Ubuntu right?

Yes bit i think some process from the base de can still run

On a clean install I get "system problem has occurred" notifications with no apparent reason at all.

*but

cause i cant figure out how to setup encrypted lvm over multiple drives with ubuntu gui installer

I feel this one, when I first tried learning how to use linux, people kept telling me Ubuntu was the safest one to try. I got millions of mystery problems like this, and shit just began degrading over time

I swapped to arch and never had a problem I couldn't fix

But I run xubuntu pretty much as my daily driver when I don't need to do something that only werks on windows.

Although my main """""OS"""""" is ESXi technically.

I don't know if I should switch distro because the "system problem" notifications are seriously the only weird thing about it, everything seems to work fine and easy

Maybe they're not important, but now on arch I only have 800 packages, so when one breaks, I usually know what it's for, and how look for a solution
Ubuntu felt way too opaque for me

It’s just Debian+nonfree with pictures of Africans.

Anyways Linux is for scroats, use Openbsd or Devuan if you must run Linux,

Antergos is faster and doesn't break

>runs smoothly and doesn't encounter errors every other task I try to complete
yeah, i like windows 7 too

I know.
The subtext of the post was meant to be
>I have less free time now than I used to and do not want to spend any of it on my distro

Attached: 1529382089056.png (1920x1080, 1.87M)

fixed your image for you senpai
a lot of those are not gnu-distributions of linux

Attached: 1529561326390.jpg (1000x1000, 251K)

I'm a linux sysadmin, many tools are better supported by ubuntu.
In my experience Antergos is fine for a home user, but for a professional environment where you want things to be compatible and tested, you'll find that everything is bugtested better with ubuntu.

For servers? Usually Centos or RHEL for HA servers.
My software (kubernetes) runs best with those, it runs like shit on Ubuntu.
Some servers that run very "exciting" (read: high maintenance) software run Arch.

I've only had them pop up once or twice in my experience, and both times it was easily fixed once I had read the error. Once it was something about a driver that became redundant after an update (i.e. pushed into kernel or so) and the other was a startup application that became deprecated iirc.
Remember to use full-upgrade when you update your system as it will take care of removing deprecated things, ever since I learned about it the popups went away.

I think like kali linix or Elementary OS it works fine for me but it depends of the use of the OS like for servers or anything like that currently i run on Elementary

>So why does anyone run anything other than this? A lot of purists have a problem with Canonical being a for-profit company. Free as I beer but not free as in freedom. Plus, Mint is more stable.