Fuck chocolatey

This fucking thing called chocolatey botches like half or installations after an update. Installations and updates fail very often and very often when they succeed there's often a catch, for example i had handbrake pinned and now both the shortcut and looking for it in the menu says it's not in the specified location. This happens too damn often!
>Inb4 lol he uses windows.
Yes i know but i was looking for a way to make windows bearable because i'm obligated to use it temporarily and i was thinking chocolatey may help but i was wrong, not even counting it's fucking slow and that the only thing it does is run scripts to run the same fucking installers you normally uses, and even only doing that it fails.

Attached: 95.png (625x118, 7K)

bump

literally never had that problem
i will never understand how you bitches can fuck up using a damn package manager but here we fucking are

>literally never had that problem
Most probably you never installed a significant amount of packages, i have just around 60 packages and the thing is slow as molasses each time you open the fucking GUI and each time you search anything, the fucking thing literally search for updates each time you do a normal search for software.

>i will never understand how you bitches can fuck up using a damn package manager but here we fucking are
I literally just used it as intended: search for program, install program, look for updates, install updates, just that, i don't know how you can defend that to fail constantly. Hear me, it doesn't fail rarely or under a certain corner cases, it fails often, it even wants you to go premium if you want the damn thing to work better (95% of the time when uninstalling something for example), if you have really used it you'd have that kind of messages at least once. Now please try to defend that they put the normal functionality behind a paywall.

>community-maintained packages
FFS just use installers.

PAYING for a package manager? Is this for real?

wincucked

>you open the fucking GUI
here's where you're fucking up sister

But I was told that linsux is dead because windows finally has a package management system!

Attached: 1521634464092.gif (600x580, 436K)

windows has multiple package managers actually
so yeah linsux is still dead af

I didn't even know choco had a gui or premium mode. Why would you use an apparently shitty gui?

That's the funny part actually, the damn thing doesn't have packages! it's just scripts that installs silently the same normal installers, it's a lot more like an AUR than a package manager in fact.

Yes, winfags are literally this cucked.

>here's where you're fucking up sister
And even with the fucking GUI that guy claims i'm the one using it "wrong". I just have pressed the buttons it has and the thing still manages to fuck up the normal operations.

>But I was told that linsux is dead because windows finally has a package management system!
That's precisely what i was told when i mention that one of the disadvantages of windows is not having a proper package manager, chocolatey was mentioned as the answer to that claim and i decided to give it a chance but damn.

Attached: 1520723454876.jpg (610x596, 66K)

>fucked up replies too
damn you can't get one thing right

I have already tried to use the CLI instead and when you have more control it stills manages to fuck up updates, installations and removing programs, this is too much for a program that barely manages dependencies beyond what programs like steam does like running the directx or .net installers, using chocolatey you don't have a fine grained control of what files are installed and you still have the same mess as if you not were even using it with everything duplicated a lot of times and it doesn't even protects you from crap that is bundled with a lot of programs, in fact using chocolatey will not allow you uncheck the "offers" a lot of installers include. I've came to the conclusion that the winshills that thrash talks other operative systems has probably never used a package manager more than 15 minutes and they thing the "cool" thing about a package manager is to install programs typing commands. What the hell guys.

>He literally cannot defend his beloved program.
Well done dude, you certainly changed my mind.

Actually this is all very fair criticism. At least we have the WSL for development.

>The package manager for Windows

Attached: file.png (311x325, 179K)

>At least we have the WSL for development
True, at the end i prefer to run linux on bare metal and windows in a VM because i've found linux to run a lot better on my hardware, to use a lot less resources and to give me actual control over my computer. It's a matter of preference but i hope one day we'll be able to choose our preferred operative system without needing to dual boot or use virtual machines for a pair of programs that cannot be run otherwise (wine for example). In my opinion the distro i'm regularly using right now is much better than windows overally (neon user edition) and unless a lot of things change on the windows side i don't think i'll prefer it for a long time.

>60 packages is a lot
>GUI package manager
Ok there bud

Why would you use a shitty clone of the Linux userspace when you could just use the real thing?

I'm a student, not a professional, and I just havn't found the motivation to get linux working on my laptop. At least powershell and wsl are pretty nice and choco is at least usable. If I run into more severe problems I might finally make the switch. I also occasionally play games so that's another reason I've been hesitant.

I've been running Linux since I was 12 (back in 2002 when getting wifi working required you to compile kernel modules with ndiswrapper).

There's literally no excuse for a grown ass adult to not be able to get Linux up and running, especially when all of the major distros make things idiot-proof now.

>chocolatey

Even the name is cucked.

every software named after food stuff is soi by nature

>60 packages is a lot
You misread what i said, i didn't said that 60 packages is a lot, i said exactly the opposite, i said that 60 packages is a ridiculously small mount compared with the amount of packages a proper package manager manages and still, with only that much chocolatey GUI gets extremely slow, it works fine with a few packages, 10 for example, but the more packages you install that GUI becomes unbearable.

>GUI package manager
Chocolatey works from the CLI on windows. I expected for it to work similarly to synaptic but i was very wrong, not only the GUI is very limited, even more than the usual software center on linux, but also it's very slow. Regarding the CLI version of chocolatey if you read the thread you'll notice i already mentioned that the non-gui version has the same flaws: It literally takes years to do a full update and mind that it doesn't even takes care of updating your OS, just the programs, it also botches operations very often. Test by yourself, the problem is not the GUI i used but chocolatey itself. And btw, the paywall is for chocolatey itself too, not only for the GUI.

There's also no reason to switch when my current development environment is perfectly usable for my needs. Like I said: if I encounter a severe issue I'll switch.

>I'm a student, not a professional
I don't think you need to be a professional to run linux, where did you get this idea from? linux works as a neflix-facebook machine perfectly if you want too, not only as a workstation for CAD or similar.

>and I just havn't found the motivation to get linux working on my laptop
Fair enough but to be honest unless there's a driver-specific problem (for example some nvidia and optimus setups) dual booting a distro like ubuntu is ridiculously easy and you can even check how it works without even touching your storage, you can run it directly from the installation media and generally you don't need to hunt for the correct drivers.

>At least powershell and wsl are pretty nice and choco is at least usable.
It's a matter of preference and i respect that but regarding the package managers that's the point of the thread, that the point of the thread, once you allow a proper (not chocolatey) package manager take care of your whole os, not only as a development tool (like WSL) i bet you'll hardly go back and you'll even laugh a bit about your old self.

>If I run into more severe problems I might finally make the switch.
I don't know what problems you have with windows and i'll not tell you to switch to linux, that's only your decistion, but what i would tell you is to at least briefly check microsoft's current policies on privacy and their record on lock-ins and anti competitive practices, you may then understand why some of us thinks that at least having a linux partition as a plan B doesn't looks like a bad idea.

>I also occasionally play games so that's another reason I've been hesitant.
You can dual boot perfectly, youll not lose any of your games although is annoying to close all your programs just for a games. Linux has on steam a lot of nice games but it still lacks on "AAA" games in general. It's a catch 22 situation because as long the marketshare is low game publishers will not develop for linux, etc...

Nice blog post.
Where do I subscribe?

You sound exactly like my linux-loving friend. It was around 6 months ago that I tried switching to linux so I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I had driver issues with the 2 gpus. You also have to remember that it's not just installing ubuntu; I have to start over when it comes to all of my configuration and scripts. At least 99% of my .vimrc would work fine. I've gotten a lot better with computers over those months though so maybe it's time to give it another shot.

Don't force yourself, if you're fine with windows keep using it specially if for any reason your hardware is actually not compatible, you'll only waste your time and get a bad impression. Let's hope certain companies like nvidia to fix their issues, for example they give very good support for their ARM boards on linux but the support on their binary blob for desktops on linux may work funky on certain conditions, for example optimus setups, they barely support dual graphics and even linus torvads itself gave them the famous middle finguer precisely for that problem they're not very cooperative to fix. If it's useful for you i can tell you where linux has worked fine for me regarding GPUs:
1 - My Nvidia single GPU setup with a GTX 1050 on a desptop and an FX processor, there's not integrated graphics on that computer. The nvidia binary blob works mostly well but can be quirky.
2 - An old sandy bridge laptop with intel integrated graphics. No problems here and no need to do anything, works OOTB.
3 - Inspiron laptop with AMD A10-9600P with dual graphics, both are AMD graphics, an R5 integrated with the APU and a M455DX which is supposed to be dedicated although is kind of weak even on windows. Funnily enough the radeon version on windows doesn't honors the preference to override what GPU i want to use and i cannot install a newer version of the driver because windows update forces an older version. On an ubuntu 16.04 fully updated (neon) while there's not a gui for switching graphics i can add DRI_PRIME=1 to any launcher and it works OOTB without installing anything else.

sorry i forgot it's forbidden to criticize in any way windows or any program that only works on windows.