Linux distro recommendation

Decided to try and switch to Linux. Could you Jow Forumsuys, please, without memes, recommend distro more-or-less fitting the following parameters?

>doesn't hog resource out of the box
>ships with a desktop environment
>doesn't have terrible glitches in default install (tried Manjaro, Mint - both had problems)
>has working Alt+Shift language switching (so no q4os)
>gaming is optional

Tried several distros in VMWare - a couple were broken, some were okay-ish at first glance, but maybe long-term usage has problems I don't know about, so that's why I'm asking you.

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180612.iso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

debian
yw

Antergos. Tried others but keep going back to it.

Lakka

/thread so fast

Do you need any of the additional DVDs? Or the first one is enough?

only need the netinst

Fuck yeah, go Debian. Also, who's on roster for fucking our wives tonight.

Tyrese.
I'm on sandwiches.

It's me, since I run Debian Sid. Don't worry, I'll bring your wife back in one piece.

Debian if you want the just werkz experience and stability, mint if you want just werks and quicker features, arch if you want a new hobby for the next few months

Attached: Capture+_2018-06-21-01-56-25.png (1284x1354, 1.45M)

Why do people who've spent

Attached: 5.png (800x800, 413K)

I know you can reconfigure Linux as much as you want, but the point is wanting a fitting system out of the box.
I was curious about Linux before, but started getting serious about after WIn 10 was released - Windows is heading into shitty direction. I know I can use my good old 8.1 for now, but there will probably come a point (for any reason) where I have to decide - switch to Win 10 (or whatever current Windows), or switch to something alternative.

Rodney Mullen could lick Tony's ass anyday

>cringeposting a pasta
Summer already?

>not recognizing a counter-bait
Summer already?

Crux

Xubuntu.
Sane defaults and a very traditional no bullshit Xfce desktop environment.

Xfce is tailored towards weak PCs so it doesn't have a screen tear free composer. You'll need to additionally install and configure Compton for that.

Amazing distro, desu.

Gentoo, Fedora, Qubes, NetBSD.

debian is garbage don't listen to them
and you sure as hell don't want to install it right away without any prior testing

best is to try any live cd you like
like , lubuntu or kde neon
i kinda like gnome but it has far too many pressing bugs being open for more than a decade so i don't use it and i advice you to do the same

>doesn't have a screen tear free composer. You'll need to additionally install and configure Compton for that.
First of all, this is a retarded workaround. Second, the compositor doesn't vsync properly due to a bug, not due to being "light". This is fixed in the 4.13 compositor so once xfce 4.14 is released it will work properly.

>Needs "tear free" solutions
Literal babies in this thread

>>doesn't hog resource out of the box
Any processor made in the last ten years and 1GB RAM will do fine with almost anything, so this isn't distro specific.
>>ships with a desktop environment
Again, the vast majority of distros ship with a DE or have the option to automatically install one during system install.
>>doesn't have terrible glitches in default install (tried Manjaro, Mint - both had problems)
Since I don't know what caused those glitches, or what they are, I can't really advise you.
>>has working Alt+Shift language switching (so no q4os)
I believe keyboard shortcuts are customizable almost everywhere.
>>gaming is optional
So you'll want something with support for non-free drivers.

Really, just install Ubuntu. Since you don't really know what you are doing, Ubuntu is a good place to start, and AMD has their proprietary drivers configured for Ubuntu.
But if you want a familiar interface, I recommend using Kubuntu since it just werks, is pleasant to look at, and not buggy.

> doesn't have terrible glitches in default install

I installed antergos 8 times before or worked. The default installer sucks

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180612.iso

Attached: 2018-06-20-144013_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.79M)

was going to switch to but almost all ports not in core or optional were broken

arch linux OBVIOUSLY

Ubuntu is the biggest resource hog, it essentially sets your computer hardware back 7 years.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Linux Mint, that thing works out of the box on everything for everyone.

/thread

Slackware. Install from floppy disk images. Earn your chest hair, newbie.

if you want pure minimal with no games but tons of help and community you can google then go lubuntu

lubuntu or kubuntu

>Linux Mint, that thing works out of the box on everything for everyone.
Only non-meme. It's Debian, it's Umbuntu, and it's WAY the fuck more stable and friendly to new users than both!

kubuntu

Have you tried Ubuntu MATE? It's pretty good as a first distro. The welcome screen gives some good ideas for extra software to install.

Attached: F390P2UJCKUUWOS.LARGE.jpg (1024x768, 71K)

best way to debloat opensuse of all the stuff I won't use?
gecko kde doesn't have patched ff

You could re-compile the packages that have too many dependencies on your own, or look for alternatives.

But frankly, it's probably not worth bothering with. This works better on Gentoo.

debian has a better package management system in my opinion if you are used to windows then it is pretty similar downloading the files from a website but you need to make sure to install the non-free-firmware version for better compatibility debian is extremely stable as well

how is mint more stable than debian?

thinkpad + fedora + fedora OS

>Needs a "screen"
Literal babies in this thread

>>doesn't have terrible glitches in default install (tried Manjaro, Mint - both had problems)
same here, tried the exact same two. Experienced hundreds of kernal panics.

>doesn't have terrible glitches in default install (tried Manjaro, Mint - both had problems)
>arch linux OBVIOUSLY

I don't think anyone wants to spend 12 hours installing an OS.

It isn't. Its just Ubuntu with older/slightly different packages.

Wow. I have literally never had an installation problem with Antergos and I've done it at least a dozen times. Sorry about your experience.

Slackware

I run manjaro, and I have a problem where the screen freezes and the splash screen after i enter my password and login.

If i use "acpi=off", it doesn't do this, but my laptop's keyboard & trackpad don't work, and I have to use a usb keyboard.

How do I fix this?

>How do I fix this?
by installing a non-shitty distro.