Anyone here use old computers?

Anyone here use old computers?

Attached: 1525602820148.jpg (960x720, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

alephone.lhowon.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what is that toaster lmao, do you put the bread in that slot?

I have a Thinkpad from 2007, but it's not radically different from anything newer like I imagine that thing would be

I've got an O2, I just need a monitor that supports sync on green

Yup. I actually just fixed my O2 from 2001. PROM photo was taken the other day and I still need to reinstall IRIX. The oldest machines I use regularly are a PowerMac G5 and a ThinkPad R60. The G5 gets used for day to day desktop office tasks and web browsing with Debian XFCE. The R60 runs Devuan i386 with XFCE and is used for programming due to the excellent screen and keyboard.

Yeah, they're a bitch to find. Go for a third party one, even if you need an adapter.

Attached: 20180615_174905-1.jpg (2093x1847, 2.98M)

I'm probably just going to pick up a 1600SW, I've got the special GPU for it

Attached: SGI_O2-IMG_7208.jpg (5342x3561, 578K)

Oh, nice. I guess that's worth it then

Still using my PIII rig form 2k1 for dumping audio CD, also playing some old vidya.

yep got a old 2700x 1600x and 1080. so fucking old

2006 qualifies as old?
>Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @2.54Ghz (will be upgraded with Phenom X3 8750 when it arrives from aliexpress)
>GeForce 8500GT (will upgraded with hd7750, not arrived yet)
>DFI infinity nf570 M2/g (non SLI)
>2gb RAM
>320gb WD hdd
>Deluxe shit case with 400w psu

>SGI hardware
pic related

Attached: 2f4318512eea60fc607e71976d418c9d--girls-best-friend-best-friends.jpg (249x600, 45K)

Is self-built from 2012 old?

2012 is ancient, I was 12 years old back then.

Your mom is ancient.

She's 65, so yeah.

I have a brand new, still in its box Sun Ultra 10 hidden away in my parents attic. If I ever live somewhere with enough space I'd set it up and use it.

Attached: ultra10.jpg (400x757, 66K)

My monitor is a 2009 compaq, and my tower is an HP from about 5 years ago. My mouse is an old apple pro mouse from the early 00's, and my keyboard is a k120 logitech.

I'm slightly jealous.

Use 386/486, sparcstations and ultra 2's everyday to make modern technology.

No its not CNC.

Why don't you try selling it for 1 million dollars?

Nice, they run sweet with OpenBSD. My old Sparc5s aren't supported any more and my only ultrasparc box is a v100 blade, no framebuffer.

Does OpenBSD on SPARC have any good up to date packages? Anything broken or buggy? There are some Sun toasters at a local computer shop that are reasonably priced. Debating spending some good boy points this weekend.

is she hot

>Apple //c occasionally
>Self-built PC from 2007-8:
>AsRock G965M-S mobo
>4gb DDR2
>Dual-Core E5300
>GeForce 9400GT
>more recent fixes/upgrades include 1tb Caviar black + EVGA 400w PSU

Those things were pretty high end back in the day.

Holy newfag

Jesus I hated working on those shitboxes.

y

Enjoy your HD stiction, Satan.

SGI hardware was just the best. Irix was trash-tier, but bettern than Solaris. HP-UX for the big win.

mmm sgi

installing Mac OS 9.2 on a G4 Mini right now so I can play some Marathon

You don't need MacOS for that.
alephone.lhowon.org/

I don't care about old computers, but I do like old software. For some reason I like to find old C unix code and try to recompile it on Net/OpenBSD.
It was fun to find out that early 90's slirp(1) (used to emulate tcp/IP for people who didn't have slip(1) or pppd(1) ISPs) is still being updated for Qemu.

My school has 200 Silicon Graphics Octane and Octane2 stored in the storage room.

I think I could gather them since they've been unused for a very long time, but what would be their price nowadays?

Attached: 1200px-SgiOctane.jpg (1200x1249, 82K)

Repeat after me, Thinkpads are always better.

Wouldn't they be paying you to take them?

Are they really that useless?
The prices I've seen on ebay are just crazy.

Attached: firefox_2018-06-21_21-27-46.png (876x873, 301K)

>The prices I've seen on ebay are just crazy.
Nekochan autists

That's because it's SGI, a piece of history. People buy it either for that, their OS or their AESTHIC case to mod.

now tick "sold listings"
you can ask for any price you want on ebay.

I use an Optiplex 755 Core 2 Duo as a daily driver, does that count ?

Octane 1 ~$400-600
Octane 2 $500-$10,000

depends on what options they have.

A lot of medical imaging systems use octanes

Ha! Dug out my O2 last month. Case is a bit crashed, but it works.

Did anyone ever write USB drivers for it? It's got a PCI slot.... I'd love to be able to use a modern kb and mouse without adapters.

>pretty high end
user, they were THE high end
nothing compared
in fact PCs got a huge bump in graphical fidelity when SGI went under and the engineers found new jobs in PC GPU companies
same with DEC/Alpha - the engineers mostly migrated to AMD and that's how their best architectures happened

>The prices I've seen on ebay are just crazy.
>If it's old, it's a goddamn treasure.
Ebay mentality

jesus, my nan is 70 next year and i'm a year older than you

an old and heavy compaq laptop with two really loud fans that runs openbsd.

nice digits

same happened when DEC let loose VMS engineers. they went to Microsoft and created NT

it'd be nice to see what would happen if a giant (microsoft, facebook, google) went under and ideas started popping around left and right.

Occasionally.

Attached: comfy.jpg (6000x4000, 1.27M)