<wdg/> - Web Development general

Prev thread: boards.Jow Forums.org/g/thread/66408971#top

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4&feature=youtu.be

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: 1_TQMpI9meBnjpWPTWOpsjuA.png (1512x908, 234K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bulma.io
github.com/prettier/prettier)
americanexpress.io/clean-code-dirty-code/
youtube.com/watch?v=hYZBjJuD--k
lemon.bz/ico/
vincentgarreau.com/particles.js/
codepen.io/juliangarnier/pen/PpoboR
aws.amazon.com/serverless/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how the fuck do you add with jQuery. post an example...

Is bootstrap a botnet?
I'm making a personal webpage / blog and I want it do be displayed properly on phones yet I don't feel reddit enough to load a bunch meme of libraries.

Attached: 1523945042000.jpg (729x1079, 142K)

bootstrap is fine, but it's limiting
flexbox or CSS grid are better long term options

you still used the + sign.. I want something like $.add(2,3,4,5) lol

Thanks. That should be enough for what I'll use it for.

I haven't touched any frameworks yet. But this is how I make things mobile ready.

I make a website for my desktop.
Copy the css.
Delete all widths
Media query for small screens
????
Profit

Voila, it's now ready for mobile.

Whats a quick cheap yet still nonbloggy premade website option for getting a game currently under dev some exposure. Webstore would be great, video (youtube) embeds. Budget is about 80$ upfront hopefully including domain and i dont want to fuck with too much php, css and supporting java apps would be keen thx

wordpress lol, seriously wordpress

>falling for this low quality mememe

Serverless is the future.

>but user, when there are no servers, what serves the content?

>my website is hosted in the blockchain

whats the name of the simple website who made fun of current state of web developing by showing how a simple website can look like, I remember there were even two of them

motherfucking website

Is Redux as hard to learn as it looks?

Question to you /wdg/: What made you go into web dev instead of software dev? Or do you dabble in both?

no, the documentation is only shit... go find a video tutorial, you'll get it in 10 min

Got hired as a webdev

Also pretty much everything is web based these days

I find web developing more fun. Seing instant results with your code is also nice

Also technically my title is Software Engineer. So it's pretty much a blurred line these days.

Friend was in charge of hiring for a company offered me a job so yeah... I was in ohasee of toy game engines before that

use Bulma, is better than bootstrap botnet.
bulma.io

Bulma is awesome. Ligthweight and flexbox based without the jquery bloat. It's pure css.

>not designing mobile first

I've seen many web designer pros going desktop first. It depends on the nature of the project, if you're targeting mobile users, then it's only natural to go mobile first. Otherwise, desktop first isn't bad either if it comes naturally to the designer, as long as the end result is well done.

either way is fine but imo just easier to maintain things from smallest to biggest the whole way through rather than the desktop first (not desktop exclusive) equation which tends to go the default big desktop then small then back to big again.

>mobile first
retarded buzzword

it isn't tho
but i can see why new things would scare boomers like yourself

In Jest how do you test if a function returns an object of type String?

The gist about Redux is that it's basically a way of managing changes to a giant global object known as the "store" so that updates to the store will also update "connected" components. You tell it what to change through dispatching an "action", the "reducer" function gets called which will filter out the specific action and return back an updated store, store updates, components update.

I'd recommend reading up on immutable update patterns since you're going to use it a lot in Redux.

>Go to college
>They thought C#
>To make an ASP.NET app
>Then they thought PHP
>Well no shit, made a web app
>Then they thought Java
>First part was normal programming
>But then it went into making web applications again with Struts framework
t. Information Systems major
Eventually self-taught myself Ruby + Rails because it allowed me to shit out finished projects way faster than everything else I learned through college, and stave off poverty.
Using Elixir now.

Attached: 1529384100420.jpg (964x606, 297K)

How do I implement cache-control like in pic related for faster loading?
What part of the html do I insert what attribute?
Do you guys have any example usage?

Attached: cache.jpg (742x510, 44K)

The fact that a lot of schools don't bother teaching Python or RR as well as the heavier choices like C#/C++/Java/etc is stupid as hell. Devs need to also know how to quickly prototype and ship something within a short timeframe as well as understanding the fundamentals enough to work with 'real' programming languages.

function xx() {
return 77;
}

test('expect any', () => {
expect(xx()).toEqual(expect.any(String));
// expect(xx()).toEqual(expect.any(Number));
// expect(xx()).toEqual(expect.any(Boolean));
// expect(xx()).toEqual(expect.any(Array));
});

in what language?

Is Ampps the best way to use WordPress?

there is no best way.

For the people on Jow Forums who used it, it's back up.
pudim(dot)org

Attached: sync.png (1919x1079, 1.23M)

>software dev instead of software dev
McScuse me bitch?

Hi /wdg/

How do you make React code readable?

I've basically failed two tech interviews recently and both times, they said my code was hard to read. Maybe a few other comments but that was the only one I can't really address or just know how to do better at.

So, what does pretty React look like?

Attached: reactCode.png (1170x1308, 256K)

TypeScript
MobX
async/await instead of .then()
business logic not in component files
proper formatting (github.com/prettier/prettier)

I'm specifically talking about layout and formatting but thanks, I'll take a look at those.

I second this.
Bulma agreeably surprised me.
Solid af.

Attached: f82eab94093c22fb95bb73c913841cb3.jpg (1806x1278, 462K)

I'd say the easiest way to get into readable code is to use the likes of a linter like eslint and then enforcing a style guide (like airbnb's) through the eslint plugin. Oh and making eslint run Prettier. This will get you started in a good direction, getting used to seeing what beautiful code looks like.
From there you can focus on the deeper problems with readable code which is utilizing proper react patterns, and in general writing clean code regardless of language americanexpress.io/clean-code-dirty-code/

that is hard to read
your indentation is all over the place and you aren't using whitespace to split functions apart, your shit isn't even indented properly sometimes
you didn't comment any of it too which makes it even worse
use tickbacks / string literals instead of normal strings

at a glance it looks like one huge function then I have to read through it and realize it's not, then I go back and figure out wtf is going on and then finally I understand it, takes so much longer just because you didn't space things out properly

use eslint or prettier man fuck

What's the must have trending "technologies"?
Such as oauth\websocket
What else?

>must have
>trending
youtube.com/watch?v=hYZBjJuD--k

Fallen in love with working out algorithms with JavaScript. Drunk now though so I can't really think. Here's a problem for you to solve, /wdg/. With two for loops for column and row, how would you write a function that outputs to console some 'steps' (represented by hash characters) like in pic, where n is the number of steps? Like the steps in the first Super Mario Bros. video game.

Attached: steps.png (882x816, 22K)

Thanks, I'll do some reading and try again.

Does anyone know how to do the particle effect in this website? The container is apparently a canvas element.

lemon.bz/ico/

Seems easy, particles spawn inside a circle, with a random direction and slowly fade out, depending on the distance to the radius it looks like the directions go closer to a tangent, if you spawn the direction relative to the tangent, you can multiply it's y component by a number that goes to 0 when the distance to the center goes closer to the radius.

what kinda particles you into bb vincentgarreau.com/particles.js/
codepen.io/juliangarnier/pen/PpoboR

Think twice before using this stuff on your website. It's very taxing on the CPU and also activates the GPU. If it holds information value, then it might be a good idea, but if we're only talking about a e s t h e t i c s, please avoid.

Ah here comes the purists. If it was up to you people websites would only be made using html

>activates the gpu
this is so funny

activates my almonds

>not using a video in the webpage to show complex animations

Ah here comes the retards. Want to make something CPU and GPU expensive?
make a game. make a high res video.

>using a browser for this

imagine putting a text editor inside a browser

Attached: 1529589899335s.jpg (250x210, 7K)

>he doesn't know that when the CPU is "working too hard" he can offload work to the GPU

plebs out

we get it, you want attention
final (You)
cunt

> the joke is that this has been done several times already.

soft skinned bitch

3rding this. Just do things the bulma way and it's easier than anything.

Ok I might have misinterpreted your question; it looks like you may have meant to have a single argument n for height and width. But this is a more general solution that allows for input of length x and height y and tries to make the most linear slope it can.
function printSteps(x, y) {
var output= '';
for (var i = 0; i < y; i++) {
for (var j = x-1; j >= 0; j--) {
output += (i/y < j/x) ? ' ' : '#';
}
output += '\n';
}
console.log(output);
}

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 12.32.21 PM.png (832x1028, 89K)

Using WebGL is offloaded to GPU you imbecile.

So just offline client side apps?

That's not why it's funny

Yeah but I actually want a job though

It's good, but SemanticUI is more versatile.

Where is a good place to learn to unit test / unitize my JS code?

Atm, it feels like a horrible mess hanging together by my degrading knowledge of how it works. I'd much rather unitize AND THEN comment the code

Good solution. Your brain seems more tuned to mathematics than mine.

What's the use for shadow dom?
I figured it's when you get external data that is put into the shadow dom so that it doesn't conflict with your main dom?

This will never be true.

let sum = $.Math.fn.Sum.Add(firstNum).Add(secondNum).Result().val()

>web dev
You touch every bit of it, control the release without any 3rd party gatekeepers, and have instant, world-wide exposure.
>software dev
You are literally at the bottom of a tall ladder of users, managers, assistant managers, PAs of managers and app store/publisher gatekeepers, all of whom want to shit on you.

It is, though. Most mobile web sites are shit because they designed "mobile first" by using some shit Wordpress plugin or something.

Straight up HTML with little to no formatting other than font/sizes works just fine on mobile. You tried to make your mobile web site act like an app. You fucking failed. Stawp.

why

Amazon AWS makes bank with it

but that's not designing mobile first it has nothing to do with using a fucking plugin
literally just stop talking out your ass

>serverless
>millions of servers
Are you retarded?

>he doesn't know what serverless means

go back to school kid

Any good videos on Bootstrap 4 to recommend?

aws.amazon.com/serverless/

educate yourself

Is it wrong to use a webdriver (Python, Selenium) to automate my shitty front end developer / data entry e-commerce job? Not talking ethically, but from a tech perspective since it's called testing software.

I'm so done with manually going to 90 pages a day and checking a box

>in before bad systems and ....
It's a Fortune 100 company with a platform built by bottom barrel Indians and needs to be put out of its misery, but pride and politics stand in the way.

>watching videos about a CSS framework

you what

That is exactly what "designing mobile first" is, as that's how it's done in a vast majority of cases.

>automate job
>spend rest of the time looking for a job that is not shit/developing skills to get the hell outta there

if your job can be automated it's not worthy

>ignore those servers behind the curtain
Do you think Cloud Computing happens in the sky too?

I basically hand code marketing emails, update e-commerce prices, and try to drink myself to death while learning Python and praying there's another job opening that comes around in my shit town.

I've been here for years and each day am amazed they haven't canned half our office.

you STILL don't know what server less means, huh

god damn

that point is exactly that. you don't need to "worry" about the servers/infrastructure to develop your applications.

>Do you think Cloud Computing happens in the sky too?
nice deflection

My boss hired me because of my 2 WordPress site portfolio. She still codes in tables and her tec vocab consists of, 'cookies'.

I can't learn css grid.

if you were really really really good, you would develop a solution for eCommerce sites that don't want to have to deal with bullshit like that.

>i've been here for years
hmm something tells me that you enjoy it

>female boss

don't worry. there are people that can't tie their shoes

no it isn't, stop being retarded for attention

>don't need to worry about servers
>still servers
Calling it serverless is stupid. What you mean is you've outsourced your IT administrative duties to another company. You might as well believe that cloud computing happens on actual clouds.

>react
>pretty

hahahahahahaahhahahahahaa

Is this the stack overflow equivalent of "install gentoo"?

I know I'm not the shit, but I also know I can't circumnavigate 3 departments and tell them the new, noname CMS they picked is shit after a year of 'conversations' with vendors.

I geniunly do hate it here. My applied counter on LinkedIn is over 200.

Alright alright I'll stop being a bitch and do it with the docs