Whats the actual purpose behind emacs, supposedly its more than a text editor

Whats the actual non meme purpose of emacs? Supposedly youre supposed to live inside it and integrate it with anything, what does that even mean? Can't a shell do that?

Attached: akarin internal pain.png (302x257, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

emacswiki.org/emacs/WebKit
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i want to inspect akarins butthole

1000 years ago, intellisense didn't exist, and api documentation came in books

How does this even answer my question? Im asking what the point of emacs is rather then "its a family of text editors" cause clearly its fucking more than that from all the memes.

What was the philosophy behind the programs development.

the philosophy was something along the lines of "we don't have copy/paste" and it was the 80's. if you actually used emacs you would understand its historical context.

I think it's inspired by a/supposed to be a lisp machine. That's what the default text editing experience is like, and you can make stuff in it with its own variant of Lisp.

and by "lisp machine" I mean something like this.

Attached: 220px-Symbolics3640_Modified.jpg (220x434, 32K)

so it is useful or relevant in 2018? or is it another form of ricing for neet autists

Well people have made a whole bunch of stuff in it, from email clients, to full web browsers, to alternative text editors, to window managers for X11 (somehow), to specialized note taking tools like org-mode, to whatever else you can think of.
but of course there's no inherent advantage to doing it through emacs rather than with other solutions.
So I guess the answer is both. It's useful and relevant for a certain brand of autists.

>so it is useful or relevant in 2018?
not4u

>Full web browsers
How? Does it just translate the native html into some ascii art onto the text editor? How would the JS run if teh page requires JS, cause every piece of cancerous shit nowadays requires JS

afaik it only works in the GTK version of emacs.

emacswiki.org/emacs/WebKit

i use it daily to program. i like it because it has absolutely none of the bullshit of other editors (looking at you jetbrains). and the philosophy of never using the mouse is... efficient, to say the least.

>so it is useful or relevant in
No. Almost nobody uses it in real life.

Imagine a shell, where you do want to do more things at once in the same session, for example, you'll use tmux.
Now you want to program something, maybe with vim.
Now you want to browse the web, with w3m perhaps.
Now you want to...

In emacs there is all inside, you can add packages and you can program emacs itself in elisp (read as: you may find a lot of snippet online).

Just remember:
- Ctrl+x for major mode,
- Ctrl+c for minor modes,
- Ctrl+h for help,
- Alt+x for commands.

So you want to use vim?

it can be anything you need it to be. Fully customizable and a massive set of features.
I've noticed it's cool because the hotkeys are so wonderful. You can pipe your email and internet browsing through there and the whole experience is just better

>it can be anything you need it to be.
Can it be a text editor that opens instantaneously?

Looks comfy desu

Attached: downloadfile.png (600x789, 424K)

Yes, just start it as a daemon an use emacsclient

This. If anyone tells you they program in a text editor over a IDE they are either trolling you or autistic

The power and simplicity of having everything at your fingertips without leaving the environment. Turn on laptop, enter emacs, do things, turn off laptop.

>just start it as a daemon
Wow... I have to run a daemon so my text editor doesn't take forever to load.

it doesn't take forever to load. I don't know what toaster you're running on but it's instant for me.

>it's instant for me.
Lying on the internet is bad, user. I was shilled here how spacemacs is good. The first time I've launched it I had to stare at the fucking loading bar. Removed it after that.
>Potato
So I need a powerful PC to run a text editor?

might be your config. Then a lot of people let it run 24/7 with a shit ton of buffers open; for instance I use its file manager a lot, letting it run in the background makes sense for that
spacemacs has nothing to do with emacs it runs like shit on my toaster too

My main and only PC right now is a laptop. I really don't want anything extra constantly running in the background.

k then dont use it, rusemaster

So to give you an autistic yet helpful answer, as is befitting of Jow Forums I want you to consider emacs not as an editor, but as a tool.

> But I can edit text in emacs.
Yes, that's one of the programs that comes with emacs.

See, Emacs thinks primarily using buffers.It can use these buffers to talk to programs, such as linters, compilers, web clients, email servers, REPLs, or just dump its context into a text file.

Now you can get semantic autocompletion in Emacs for many languages. (In Microsoftspeak, this is called IntelliSense.) But you don't really want that for everything. After all you have to parse the entire project and all the dependencies to get a useful AST just to be able to tell what even exists to autocomplete to. If you're banging together a BASH script, do you really want to have autocompletion of every shell command, as well as everything that's on the path? I mean, you could do that in Emacs, and it would happily go talk to the server you're going to deploy to and ask it for the path variable, etc.look up manpages so you have one-click docs on everything you write and so on, but do you need that when all you're really going to write are a few grep commands piped into wc-l to see how many errors, warnings and infos that were emitted to the log yesterday. (Although awk is probably a much better tool for that, desu famalam.)

You have to understand that Emacs is a third option. On the one hand you have shit like Notepad++, Atom and so on, where they give you a text editor with syntax highlighting and some basic tools. On the other hand you have IDEs like Eclipse, IntelliJ and MSVS, where they give you a large collection of tools that are supposed to all work together.

What emacs wants to be is an interface that you can take other tools and integrate them into emacs. So that instead of launching the Emacs C Debugger, you instead teach emacs how to talk to the GNU C Debugger, or Intel's or someone else's. You choose.

You need like 20 megabytes of ram. If you want something with all the bells and whistles you're looking at something closer to 70.

Anyway, to continue my autistic spree from :

This means that Emacs can function just fine as an editor. But its true purpose is to act as an Integrating Development Environment: You take the tools you need and integrate them.

As an example, consider SLIME. SLIME is a fully fledged Common Lisp IDE written for Emacs. It has full on semantic autocompletion implemented by talking to the compiler. It has every bell and whistle you want. You can have that. There used to be a Java IDE called JDEE which while pure shit, was better than Eclipse for a while (until Java 5.0 was released).

It's the only sane environment to develop Prolog in, it's a great environment for shells and SQL, and it's unbeatable for knocking out normal text.

But if you want to make it an IDE for C++, you have some work ahead of you because you have to integrate every piece of toolkit you want.

I made some stuff to make maven smoother to work with for my projects (I have both IntellliJ and Emacs open for editing: Emacs for editing, and then IntelliJ's autofixing after wards. Shit's cash.)

What really becomes very easy after a while if you use emacs is solving the secondary language problem. Whenever you write software in say, Java, you're likely to also need to write SQL, XML, some bash, HTML, CSS and JS, and who knows what else.

With Emacs, adding the basic support is dirt simple, and advanced support is doable (because you have to set things to your autistic preferences.)

IntelliJ has NOTHING on Emacs when it comes to supporting many languages on one project. Where Emacs loses is that Emacs doesn't think in terms of projects, which kinda sucks.

>k then dont use it, rusemaster
I don't. I use Vis for all my text editing needs.

>Where Emacs loses is that Emacs doesn't think in terms of projects, which kinda sucks
Doesn't projectile fix that?

why are you using a shitty hack of ed?

It's not a dirty hack.
It's basically Vi + improvements introduced by Vim without all the bullshit and spaghetti code + regular expressions and some basic Multi-Cursor support.

Sorry I misread you're using vi. I should've called it instead a hipster regexp nightmare.