Single thread perf CPUs

Hi, everyone.

I want to build a new desktop meant for audio engineering. The way software in the field is written, single thread performance is the most important spec.

I was going to choose a 8700k, but does AMD offer a good alternative? I'm still wary of the fact that a lot of software doesn't run very well on anything not-Intel, but I believe it's still worth it to check out the alternatives.

Thanks

Attached: 00.png (1245x680, 733K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundonsound.com/sound-advice/multi-core-processors-musicians
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

8700K is still the best in single thread performance and no AMD chip comes close

Thanks, friend. Exactly what I needed to know.

Attached: Screenshot_20180619-213451__01.jpg (1027x1263, 337K)

ah yes, the "buy the 12 core cpu despite needing 1 thread"
g is a board where no shilling takes place at all
get a fucking pentium and get it to 4.7ghz

12 thread*
i should read my posts

enjoy your vulnerabilities!

Badly executed bait thread.

Security doesn't matter!

Kek, was this scripted?
I like how people who do this shit have no idea about the place they are doing it. It's like aliens trying to pass as humans.

This desu desu

Attached: 1488933859408.png (800x523, 604K)

Yes it does. It REALLY fuckin does

Ryzen 7 2700X would be comparable to the 8700k.

It's fucking 2018 how fucking new are you to be surprised at shills blatantly posting on this place?

Not shilling, genuinely asking. If you have a different opinion I would welcome it, as I like to save money!

Attached: Screenshot_20180621-190332.jpg (1080x1920, 504K)

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to find some performance comparisons.

So, I have this comparison. 25€ isn't really meaningful enough if the 8700k has overall best performance and most of the software I'll ve using (Cubase, VST plugins, audiocard drivers) runs better on Intel stuff. The secut flaws really make me think twice, though.

Attached: Screenshot_20180621-190717.jpg (1080x1920, 471K)

Sawss please.

>single thread performance is the most important spec.
>I was going to choose a 8700k
Doesn't sound like you need a 12-thread CPU. Try an unlocked i3 or something.

Why, friend?

Single core performance with backdoor inside, Intel.
Pure performance, AMD.

Also you don't need 8700K since you don't need that extra core. Got i3 8350K instead.

Ipc is pretty similar so you can just compare clock to clock
If this isn't bait

sauce?

ITT

Attached: 1491916955985.png (653x726, 42K)

Oh there's a new chapter translated, isn't there?

Nagatoro manga.

But doesn't the i7 have hyperthreading and the i3 not? Also, I'm afraid that the i3 will overheat when I want ro do the occasional Morrowind run witj ridiculous graphics mods.

Said above.

Yep. It's cute.

You mean, the frequency?

Yeah clock speed to clock speed

T was right niggers do glow in the dark

Isn't that an erroneous metric, though? The 8700k has turbo, and supposedly goes a lot higher than the marketed frequency. Also, stability and mechanical durability is very important for me, I don't want it to fall apart easily with the heat.

The alternative is that you buy an overclocking motherboard, an unlocked 7xxx/8xxx series i3 and OC it slightly, and save several hundred dollars.

Why would you need hyperthreading if you only need single core.
And I'm sure i3 is enough for old game like Morrowind. For any visual mods it's more on GPU, not CPU.

Your aren't buying chink shit
Even that doesn't shit itself randomly
Honestly just factor in budget, clock speed, overclockability if you care and possibly upgradeablity if you care

Nice shill thread.

Assuming I want the best in the market.

Sorry if I seem dumb, but I assumed hyperthreading was just turbo.

Any guides? I honestly don't really care about price in the CPU. GPU and RAM is what is really grinding my gears in that department.

Also, for all 3 of you, all benchmarks I have seen indicate that the 8700k is has the best single thread performance in all existing production CPUs. Let's assume I don't care about money (which, for the CPU, I don't). Is there anything better than the 8700k? Taking into account the security flaws.

Hyperthreading make one physical core appears as two processors to the operating system, not frequency boosting.

Ok, thanks, so further parallelization, then.

There is no "" best ""
That just leads to shitposting and fighting
There is only good and better in certain aspects
Both the mainstream flagships are good
just pick one

go make your own brandwars thread

It doesn't even come near in single thread.

Holy shit, and they say Intelboys are the shills

>Audio engineering
If you don't have a degree it's not engineering

>Is there anything better than the 8700k?
i7 8086K maybe.

I have a degree in theoretical physics and a master's in compitational finance. What now?
It's a hobby, you fucking idiot.

it usually is a bad metric for comparing two cpus, because ipc is also a factor. however right now amd and intel have pretty similar ipcs, therefore you can just compare clocks.

>buying Intel
>Year of our Lord 2018

Ok, thanks.

What does, then?

Oh, nice! Didn't even know that one existed. It's a lot pricier, though, 150%, but definitely interesting. Thanks!

What about mechanical durability, heat production (and resistance)? Wouldnsay they are comparable. Also, I'm still thinking what is worst: the fact that a lot of software runs better on intel or the security flaws.

Theoretical physics isn't signal theory :^)

No, but I sure as hell know a lot more about it than a brainlet engineer, since my Master's and research area is literally Stochastic Calculus.

AMD has higher IPC, but Ryzens overclock like shit so it doesn't even matter in the end since it can't get near the single core performance of a overclocked i7.

Christ, I'm running a 1600X with Vega 56 but the state of AMD shills here is pathetic. Get the i5 8600K for single core performance.

Attached: silicon wars.jpg (1920x2160, 2.1M)

Yes, because stochastic calculus means you know shit about real analysis.

Interesting.
Also, how the fuck do you overclock a CPU. Literally, the only hardware stuff I have done was connecting HDDs with Sata and changing BIOS.

Yes, it does, you fucking brainlet. Just go see the prerequisites.

>mechanical durability
both will probably outlast every other part from your build. cpus practically never die.
>heat production
amd is usually more power efficient, and it's soldered. intel uses a tim, so if you want to reach that sweet 5 ghz oc, you'll probably need to delid.
>security flaws
ehh, only time will tell how screwed intel is. however, i'd say they have big things under embargo.

it's pretty much a margin of error difference.

Youtube have tutorials about overclocking.

Prerequisite =/= actually spending a few semesters focusing entirely on the field

>it's pretty much a margin of error difference
No, it's not. You can stop shilling now.

>delid
Ok, what the fuck is that, and do I risk fucking up the CPU while voidong the warranty?

Yes, just studying Quantuum Mechanics/Theory for 3 years and measure theory doesn't give you shit in real analysis, right?

Lol, fuck off, brainlet.

Is g this new to samefagging and baiting? Do people know you can sage posts and ignore trolls?

Genuine question no bully plz.

im sooo much smarter than you xDD

Attached: smart.png (1200x800, 90K)

Yeah, I'm sure you know all about control theory, feedback loops and actually designing anything interesting also.

Really?

Attached: Screenshot_20180621-201158.jpg (1080x1920, 477K)

It's a protected title in any reasonable 1st world country

ipc wise, it is. sure, amd can't overclock well.

take out the cpu lid, and replace the thermal compound with something better (usually liquid metal). yes, it voids the warranty, and you risk losing your cpu. it's not strictly necessary if you just want some mild ocs, but for more extreme ones it is, unless you want a literal housefire inside your case.

AMD CPUs have the same vulnerabilities, you damn 12 years old boomer.

No they don't, 12 year old.

Yrs, I DO know about cobtrol theory. In fact, I know about Stochastic Control Theory in continuous time. It was literally the subject of my thesis. It's used to theoretically maximize trading profit in continuous time. Subsolutions, supersolutions, Hamilton-jaacobi-belmann equation and all that shit. Fuck off.

>ignores the spectre variants
>ignores the fpu vulnerability
>ignores the ht vulnerability
>ignores the 6 vulnerabilies still under nda
oh sweetie

>I know about Stochastic Control Theory in continuous time
That's literally 3rd year shit lmao

I'd rather not do that, to be very honest.

Lel

Yes they do. The original proof of concept was made on intel CPUs but since AMD has the same supported instructions with conceptual errors it's 100% possible to reproduce the same exploit on an AMD CPU. Read something technical sometimes instead of just AMD shill propaganda. I don't even care about your autistic CPU war, I've got both an Intel and an AMD CPUs without distinction. Just educate yourselves, the technical knowledge level on this board is first grader tier sometimes.

>ignores all the vulnerabilities AMD CPUs have too
Meh, gonna sage this shit thread. There's no way to reason with shills.

No, it's not. You studied it in discrete time and at most Ito's lemma with brownian motion while ignoring qudratic variation and saying it's a squared factor in the time differetial, which is what brainlet engineers do. Pathetic. I literally just went and checked the programme to confirm it.

Get some 4c8t cpu with good mobo and overclock one core to something above 4.6ghz is my advice. With water loop you can easily do this.

soundonsound.com/sound-advice/multi-core-processors-musicians some software scales with multithreading. You'd have to further research which programs and how well they scale for yourself. 2700x or an 8700k will both do you just fine. Just know that even the most basic multithreading method used in DAW's will run one channel per thread. There may be some synchronization issues on Ryzen however due to the dual ccx design. If you know for a fact all you need is pure single thread performance, just get an 8600k and overclock it to ~5ghz with a $50 air cooler.

They were unable to reproduce the majority of the speculative execution exploits on amd cpus due to differences in how they manage memory and speculative execution. It's theoretically possible, but even the exploits amd made patches for were significantly more difficult to perform on Ryzen. So no, they are not vulnerable to all the same exploits. Meltdown for instance is 100% Intel exclusive.

>Put security checks way earlier in pipeline
>Hardware mitigation techniques
>No known actual working exploit, even when people are actively trying to discredit AMD
Yeah sure thing kiddo

>le based amd user strikes again
kys

Attached: 8400 btfo.png (1275x714, 348K)

Attached: 001.jpg (861x1049, 332K)

>8700k?

>what do you need 8600k for

>here is a benchmark of a 8400 vs an overclocked ryzen with expensive ram and a custom cooler

CHRIST it's like one of those jew jokes about what do you need 10 dollars for, take this 5 dollars and split it with your sister.

Im sorry intel cpus cant use high speed ram in cheap mobos or overclock at all and need 2000w coolers but thats not AMDs fault.

Attached: 1489421658644.png (653x726, 84K)

Le based 3400mhz samsung b die with manual tuned timings and le based water cooler and le based x470

Attached: no.gif (267x180, 389K)

>audio engineering
If you're actually doing the work of an audio engineer, THREADRIPPER with a large buffer is the best option you currently have. This has been proven many times.

The problem has erroneously been represented as needing single threaded performance, but engineering shouldn't involve doing anything live so your dependence on a single thread is minimal. Move the buffer size up, and you can have a full processor core for every track/bus you're processing. If you were doing production and/or live recording you would need single thread, but audio engineering is a different matter where signal latency becomes meaningless.

Attached: DawBench-DSP-TR.jpg (2188x1222, 407K)

You should try re-reading this.

>intel shills actually exist in this universe
What a frightening thought

Attached: 1529575770570.jpg (403x402, 52K)

>this triggers the intel shill

Attached: 1491972340310.png (633x900, 162K)

delid

Attached: 1495812218308.png (1228x1502, 944K)

NOOOOOO IT'S NOT FAIR INTELBROS WE MUST RELEASE 666GHZ CPUS AND INCINERATE THE WHOLE SOLAR SYSTEM TO COMPETE

>selling anons memes

Signal latency has no relevance for audio engineering. Multi-threaded performance is king as long as you bus properly.

BUT MUH NIGGAHURTZ

Attached: 1506977173618.jpg (882x758, 324K)

i never had issues with using amd for music software

Attached: Tekashi1-827x620.jpg (827x620, 101K)

You must have not been around long then user...

Sonic Foundry Acid and actual recording are different things SoundCloud anom

This denial.
AMD is only vulnerable to the most esoteric and difficult to leverage of timing attacks, which are basically generic to speculative execution. The performance impact of such fixes are very minimal, but required compilers to do things differently to avoid it.
Intel, on the other hand, is vulnerable to WAY more attacks because they simply handled spec ex very sloppily to gain performance at the expenses of known insecurity. The performance impact of such fixes are absolutely massive because not only do you have to walk back Intel's "optimizations", but you're doing it logically, outside of the silicon. They fucked up big.

i need the source of that pic please