My trusty i5-2500k died after a decade of service. I plan on switching to mini atx and getting a new Mobo and CPU

My trusty i5-2500k died after a decade of service. I plan on switching to mini atx and getting a new Mobo and CPU.

What is the i5-2500k of our time?

Attached: alex2925x1213.jpg (925x1213, 428K)

Sorry to hear OP. Currently using an i5 2500 myself (non k series)

How did it die?

Squirrel fried a transformer and my rig got hit by a voltage spike. Fucking chink voltage regulators, never again.

Did that take any other hardware with it?

Do you suppose daisy chaining surge protectors could have prevented this?

Time travellers weren't supposed to visit this board till 2021.

>mini atx
Which is it mate? MiniITX or MicroATX?

>My trusty i5-2500k died after a decade of service

Don't say something like that user I'm still using a x58 pc and I really cannot afford a new computer right now just had back surgery because of a couple herniated disks.

Attached: 1526510975799.jpg (680x500, 41K)

RIP in peace to your 2500k. Mine is still kicking, hopefully it'll stay with me for a long while still.

Whichever

I'm more concerned with making a smart investment, any CPU recommendations? Such a shame I have to buy something else, the i5 was still worth keeping

2600X, probably the best bang for your buck right now

OP is in 2021 apparently

Yeah the Mobo got rekt as well. In theory yet that should work but a proper voltage regulator should do the work, I was using some chink shit I found for 5 bucks

upgraded from 2500k OC

yes the 2500k was a beast for its time but it doesn't cut it anymore really. I was in denial too and was waiting for the next big jump in architecture or whatever but just went for the upgrade.

Its great. overclocks great and smokes everything out there.

I doubt the 8700k will last as long as the 2500k but we'll see.

Ryzen 2xxx aka Zen+.

>smokes everything out there
More like smokes and catches fire, or smokes AMD pole

>an i52.5k died
Go with God, you brave soul.

Attached: 1529459331248.jpg (800x600, 36K)

wrong

running it at a cool 45* and 92 on load

also destroys amd in every benchmark possible so ye get your wallet out boyo.

Threadripper 1950x
Dont go overkill on ram 3200 32gb is max

>destroys amd in every benchmark possible so ye get your wallet out boyo.
(citation needed)

>92 on load
kek

SEVEN YEARS IS NOT A DECADE

>chain sp
Don’t do this

Enjoy having your perf picked away with security patches over the next five years.

citation needed

Enjoy having your shit performance unchanged but still shit in the next few years

I can deal with -0.005% performance decrease like the last fabricated AMD scare.

Fucking lol! This denial my god. I know you spent a lot of money on your CPU but please be real about the recent and ongoing flaws with Intel's speculative execution methods.

>8700k
> a lot of money

lol.

>boomer cope

so bascally before spectre it seems like jumping 6 generations would have yielded around 60-70% increase in performance. post-spectre fixes in, seems like you would only be getting around 30% increase in performace.

is this right?

how do cpus die? usually its the motherboard that dies

Well with how hard you're defending Intel and their fraudulent performance "improvements" I figured it was a big investment for you.

Yep, my 4690k was humming along fine for 4 years at 4.5 GHz, then the Z97 board took a shot
Now I'm on a Ryzen chip because I've never heard of good AMD boards taking a shit like that

might buy something new when its 10 years old.

Attached: fetch.jpg (500x265, 39K)

my last amd pc that had an msi board with hp logos had to be kicked to make it boot. idk what was wrong with it but that was the only way it would boot

>MSI board with HP logos
wut

>basic math
dumbfuck meme spouter

You probably fastened the cooler backplate too tight, which caused the mobo to bend slightly and reduce contacts with the pins.

This. Even my 940 i7 isn’t 10 years old yet.

Meltdown's the Intel one that can rip 15% performance out of certain workloads. Spectre affects Intel and AMD (and ARM), shouldn't be as severe an impact.

2020 feels nearer than 2010 now.
>TFW we live in the future