pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Group Buys
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nl3D0wIqf3tU43bu0mc0LSkxeh2CxGrchr_OViEjZ4c/htmlview
massdrop.com/
>Keyboard wiki
deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Last Thread

>News
Signature Plastics PBT SA update:
The new SA-P tooling is very close to being production ready. First article parts are being evaluated and sublimation fixtures are being fabricated. We are targeting the end of June for the first sublimated sets to be available. SA-P "Industrial" Keyset will be the first production keyset. It will first be offered as a sculptured R1,1,2,3,4,4 keyset.
The SA-P keys have a fine textured finish on the top and sides of the keys similar to the G20 family. We will only be offering SA-P keys in PBT as either blank keys or sublimated keys. ABS keys or two-shot keys will not be options with this tooling.

New Kailh switches:
Kaihua released two new products. Sun Switch PG1511B with its center lighting design similar to romer-g, but with MX compatible stems. However the pins are not the same and they only come in a clicky version so far
Specification:
Size:15*15*14.8mm
Operation Force:50+/-10gf
Tactile Force:55+/-10gf
Pretravel: 1.8+/-0.5mm
Total Travel:3.5+/-0.3mm
Lifespan:50 million cycles

And the Notebook Switch PG1316 an ultra low profile switch intended for use in notebooks like the name implies with a total height of just 4.26mm
Specification:
Size:14*14.5*4.36mm
Operation Force:55+/-15gf
Pretravel: 1.1+/-0.3mm
Total Travel:1.9+/-0.3mm
Lifespan:20 million cycles

Attached: 1529291668581.jpg (3024x4032, 854K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3917
amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterKeys-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01D3BDN60
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't know what happened to the last few threads, but I figured I'd try something new and add some news.
I thought there would be more shitposting since it's the first day of summer, but it's a bit nice with things moving on slowly

>tfw typing on cherry mx switches

Attached: 1529419935373.jpg (640x480, 52K)

>tfw typing on topres

Attached: how-to-unblock-a-toilet-575x382.jpg (575x382, 42K)

>tfw typing on buckling springs

Attached: oobleck-2.jpg (317x422, 21K)

Are sub-60% keyboards a meme? They look pretty, but they don't seem very convenient for actual day-to-day use. The TKL to 60% jump makes sense since you're removing horizontal space and not losing any super-important keys, but you're not gaining nearly as much desk space going any smaller.

the only sub 60% keyboards that organizations actually spend money on are steno-keyboards, but those specialized tools designed for typing ludicrously fast. You can program with them surprisingly well, but that requires you to learn how to type completely differently

Attached: 20180616_142829-min.jpg (4032x3024, 1.7M)

>Are sub-60% keyboards a meme?
Yes.

Fucking kek

Attached: twink and bear.jpg (2400x1600, 1.03M)

I mean they can be nice for traveling, if you're the kind of autist who takes their keyboard with them. Or I guess in other situations where you have very limited space - like, I dunno, in bed or something. Sounds somewhat dumb and niche, but it's a valid reason.

If you have a normal desk and want to use your keyboard on it, though? Definitely no point. Even 60% is a meme - if you wanna go a bit smaller than TKL, get a 75%. Probably 65% is the very limit and even that's pushing it a lot.

Putting numbers on the homerow was one of the best things I ever did.
I feel this is much more convenient, everything is right under my fingers at all times.

Attached: loliboard.png (3624x1208, 64K)

>numbers on the homerow
that's actually not a bad idea, but I still prefer them on a pad

No. The smaller the keyboard, the better you are at computers

Numbers on homerow for use while typing text and entering a couple of digits here and there
Numbers on a pad for use when entering long strings of numbers

Numbers on the number row literally never

Thoughts on buying keyboards secondhand?

How long does it take PMK to make and ship their dye sub PBT DSA caps? Anyone know?

depends on the keyboard

should be fine
just have the cum solvent at the ready

Only way to get the really cool stuff from the 70's and early 80's unless you got a time machine.

Attached: IMG_0725.jpg (2772x1368, 895K)

I've been slowly downsizing my board purely from getting annoyed at staggered layouts and reaching for keys. I found a pretty good compromise of using an xd75 at home and taking a niu mini with me to class/work

I put them in a number pad like layout on another layer where 4 is under J

I have a Model F XT, and I'd love to use a keyboard with similar switches on my desktop. The layout, loudness, and 5-pin DIN of the Model F dissuade me from using it, however.

What's the most similar-feeling, if quieter, switch that's on PS/2 keyboards? Preferably =

PS/2 or USB, I guess. Also no rare keyboards, I'm not rich. I've been eyeing Alps Black but the actuation force seems a bit high.

Literally a Model F AT. Boy have F's balloned in price the last year though. I remember when you could get XT's for less than $30 in great shape fairly recently.

nothing can really replecate the feel of buckling springs, however the closest I've tried was pale blues

Attached: 20180616_145112.jpg (4032x3024, 3.59M)

>OP pic
i guess some kids never grew out of stamp collecting

Yes

>mfw i have to bend over backwards 'fixing' keyboard shorcuts i can't reach on my autism% keyboard.
>mfw wife/kid/friend/coworker can't use my PC due to my autism% keybard

Attached: 1304103287957.jpg (291x293, 20K)

> mfw i have to bend over backwards 'fixing' keyboard shorcuts i can't reach on my autism% keyboard.
What? With a proper layout there is literally zero trouble with any shortcuts. The very worst that can happen is that you have to press an extra key. And because the keyboard is tiny as fuck there's no such thing as "can't reach" anyway

> mfw wife/kid/friend/coworker can't use my PC due to my autism% keybard
My layout is set to Workman so they wouldn't be able to anyway

why should anyone else be using my keyboards or my PC. They are mine and I will make/use them how I like

you know, that might be a good idea to stop my roommates from playing fortnite on my pc. plus i've always wanted to try an ortholinear 40% keyboard

Attached: 🤔.png (680x680, 53K)

>Workman
Is there any evidence that layouts like Workman improve efficiency or are better at preventing RSI?

blank keycaps on an olkb have kept my roommates away. I wouldn't use a 40% for gaming tho. I use an xd75 for that

or just lock the damn screen

Soonâ„¢ (excuse potato tier pic).

Attached: IMG_20180621_155358.jpg (2013x1836, 685K)

honestly if you have roommates and you don't lock your PC when you leave it, you're retarded

There's always unicomp model ms in both ps/2 and usb, but they are louder if anything

I don't know of any studies about RSI, I do know that various metrics - like finger travel distance, and both hand and finger balance - are terrible for qwerty. I like Workman more than others like Colemak because it doesn't add much stress on pinkies (something both dvorak and colemak are guilty of, due to "finger balance"), and it was made with ortholinear keyboards in mind.

In the end it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. Definitely don't do it for the speed gains, that's a complete meme. I personally took the plunge because I was typing with about 4-5 fingers on qwerty, wanted to do better for the sake of my joints, and decided to learn an actually optimized layout rather than the mostly-random qwerty while I was at it. If you touch type qwerty properly and are above 100WPM (I was at 90-ish before switching) it might not be worth it.

>stop my roommates from playing fortnite on my pc.
Password lock? What are you a cuck?

Nice, what switches?

I still have stretching out the innermost column to 1.5u on my todo list

OwO what's this. Something arrived here. I wonder what it is.
I'll give you a hint, it's big, heavy and might be black

Attached: 20180621_165218.jpg (2560x1440, 1.11M)

Hopefully a noose.

Well you can kill someone with it, but you can guess better then that

what is

Attached: box.jpg (1280x720, 109K)

What soldering stations would you guys recommend. I'm not planning on making a fully custom keyboard. I just want to replace the switches of my ducky keyboard. I've been looking at
amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC
and was wondering if that's a good buy. Also what kind of solder should I use? is 60 tin 40 lead what everyone uses?

> I'll give you a hint, it's big, heavy and might be black
Nigger dildo

The case and plate for my 4704 model F
I'm still waiting for the foam sheet so I can put it back together

Attached: 20180621_165631.jpg (2560x1440, 1.32M)

Fucking sweet. I want one a lot

Box royal with box navy springs in them. One thing I noticed however is there's a small gap (1mm ish) between the 1.5u column and the column next to it. I'll probably just file down the switch hole and hot glue the switches in to fix that, but the model itself should be changed too.

top yee

Nice. How much did the powedercoating cost for all that?

It's not cheap. It costs 80 bucks, but they were quick and did it in 10 days. Also there was some mold like thing and rust spots, as well as the foam disintegrating into this sludge like substance, so they made sure to clean everything before powder coating it. If I had done a single color it would've been cheaper, but I wanted to match the originals as best as I can. They didn't have the exact paint and making it would've been too much so I just settled for the closest one they had.

Attached: Dirty keyboard.png (1852x806, 905K)

for maximum autism: reproduction F77 arriving ~1 year from now, springs replaced with quieter ones and lubed

how many dollarydoos will that be? Also, I can't imagine waiting an entire year for a keyboard.

$80 is pretty reasonable for all that. About what you would pay to plain black coat a simple brush guard.

he has a website, but you're looking at 350 bucks depending on what you get

Attached: 20180616_164924.jpg (4032x3024, 3.34M)

When buying individual switches, how many extra should I buy from my needed amount in case of damage or failure of some switches? Generally speaking.

No more than 2 I'd imagine. That's smart though user. Fail safe redundancy.

depends who you're buying from, a lot of sellers throw in extra switches anyway

like, buy 30, get 32, etc

Just bought this for 5 USD at goodwill, works like a dream. You guys are losers for wasting money on this shit. It's just a keyboard no need to get all autistic about it.

Attached: 080015.jpg (1200x1200, 163K)

also, the current reasonable goal is to ship by the end of this year, most components are already done. so (hopefully) it shouldn't be a year really

What the fuck is up with the 6 key

>he does all this research
>he buys all these boutique parts and switches and puts it together
>he spills coke or some shit on it within a week of having it

This isn't one of you, isn't it?

Hellboy clone from AliExpress, sharper design than the original, and cheap as fuck

Attached: IMG_20180618_175449.jpg (1080x1920, 1002K)

no im not retarded, it's trivial to not spill stuff

I'd imagine it all depends on what it's used for. Obviously for normie activities, your goodwill pick up would be fine. If one is coding all day/night, a more "autistic" solution may be in order.

I want to touch your keyboard.

Attached: ea76b7c548e30af5aba38260c5256a71.jpg (208x312, 17K)

This is fucking amazing.
Also TADA68 is top tier

but is it *artisanal*?

link?

don't post that on geekhack or else they'll dox you

New to mechanical keyboards. Dont wanna become an enthusiast but i do need a nice board for work. Anyone mind recommending me one?

>Budget
Up to about $100

>Location (continent at least)
US, southeast

>Preferred switch type
Brown, because i dont wanna be an asshole at work

>Layout
ANSI

>Form factor
100%

>Backlight
RGB

Kind of also want DSA caps. Helps prevent fat fingering.

Attached: cromartie christmas.jpg (741x705, 211K)

>Up to about $100
>DSA caps
not gonna happen

i figured. just a nice to have. im willing to shell out a bit more if its really nice

the cheapest keyboard I can find with DSA keycaps is this
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3917

I dont mind not having them, just wanted to try my luck. I strongly prefer a 100% layout and im ok with regular caps.

Just want a nice board that wont brick on me.

Well the best full size keyboard you can buy right now is a Leopold 900r PD. There's nothing that can compete in terms of build quality, but it's a bit above your budget.
If you want a good RGB keyboard there's this
amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterKeys-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01D3BDN60

What's the build quality of Vortex keyboards? I'm considering picking up a 75% for work and there doesn't seem to be a ton out there.

Looks good, actually. Thanks

They have some issues with their dye-sub legends, but as far as everything else it's actually pretty nice. The metal case does give it some heft

Actually, what caps would be best to replace for the windows key? Im not a fan of their logo on those caps.

>$140 - $160
>small enough
>hotswappable switches
>basically perfect latency
>(supposedly) ultra smooth linears (curious if the tactiles are as smooth)
>detachable cable
>analog which is cool too I guess

Should I skip wallet-eating scenic route of this "hobby" and just get this?

Attached: wootingone.jpg (1620x1080, 524K)

Pretty damn neato really, especially the analog firmware. I prefer the big old terminals, but this and the Ace Pad Hall Effect and the redone Model F's are all new boards I want.

>Should I skip wallet-eating scenic route
Yes. I went full topre for my first/only keyboard because I knew I'd get the itch to get one anyway.

Does anyone know where i can get an ergodox kit? they seem to be sold out in most places...

Attached: thinkThunkThank.gif (240x240, 274K)

>dissatisfied with keyboards in general
>infiltrate area 51

What crazy keyboards do they have cookin' in there, /mkg/?

Attached: area-51.jpg (970x647, 171K)

falbatech has some

Falbatech or profetkeyboards, whichever ends up being cheaper in total for you.

the best keyboard ever made

Attached: Dell_L100.jpg (1600x740, 141K)

Thanks but i'm from the states so i feel like shipping will be murderous

it's only 15 bucks, which isn't that bad all things considered.

Attached: fuckingGoTime.jpg (627x562, 235K)

Old Sperry's and Cortrons. Those were real popular with the air force.

Attached: erase dis.jpg (1973x1521, 510K)

>cortron

Sexy.

Attached: ModelCustom-1512.jpg (400x300, 32K)

I have a vibe (78%) and I really love it. The quality is perfect besides one misaligned legend and some sprew marks on the backs of a few keys. I will probably replace them with a SA-P set when signature plastics starts producing them.

I can't believe such an ugly keyboard is one of the most used. Something about the shiny keycaps and that bottom notch along with those elonged keys is vomit inducing.
Logitech K120 is better and looks way better than this abomination.

The up arrow of my Model M just malfunctioned. Now every time I connect the keyboard the up arrow acts like it is always depressed, when I press the down arrow key it stops, but after that the up arrow key no longer works.

Please help is this a common malfunction that can be fixed easly, I really want to enjoy this meme keyboard a few months more.

Attached: 1522908474291.gif (312x253, 21K)

Consider getting your up arrow some therapy.

Why doesn't /mkg/ open up a kickstarter just to buy Unicomp new factory equipment. I swear my dad's old Model M is sturdier and feels more solid than this badly produced trash. Got to give Unicomp props to keep producing Model M's but jesus, get new equipment already.

I meant pressed, dam you freudian slip.