Java Hate Thread

Have you ever met someone who intuitively understands hand drawn GUI design in Java? Because even if they exist, I've never met anyone who understands it well enough to explain it.

Attached: Java_Is_Terrific_-_It_Instills_Terror.png (1366x744, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/EyCL6mUU
bitbucket.org/Mithridates/
jce3000gt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=28
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here's what I want it to look like, by the way (item selection area isn't in this screencap, it's on the left).

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-06-21 10-52-48.png (764x530, 47K)

Looks like my visual basic tutorial from 1998, user.

Start from scratch with Qt
>Qt Hate Thread
Start from scratch with wxWidgets
>wxWidgets Hate Thread

Is there any other language which forces you to nest dozens of "simple" container objects, that collectively have amazingly diverse and horrifying interactions with one another?

/**
* Setup top level containers.
*/
private void setupContainers()
{
FrameBox = new Box(BoxLayout.X_AXIS);
getContentPane().add(FrameBox);

MajorLeftBox = new Box(BoxLayout.Y_AXIS);
FrameBox.add(MajorLeftBox);

MajorCenterBox = new Box(BoxLayout.Y_AXIS);
FrameBox.add(MajorCenterBox);

MajorRightBox = new Box(BoxLayout.Y_AXIS);
FrameBox.add(MajorRightBox);

MajorRightTopSubBox = new Box(BoxLayout.Y_AXIS);
MajorRightBox.add(MajorRightTopSubBox);

MajorRightBottomSubBox = new Box(BoxLayout.X_AXIS);
MajorRightBox.add(MajorRightBottomSubBox);

MajorRightBottomSubSubTopBox = new Box(BoxLayout.Y_AXIS);
MajorRightBottomSubBox.add(MajorRightBottomSubSubTopBox);

MajorRightBottomSubSubBottomBox = new Box(BoxLayout.Y_AXIS);
MajorRightBottomSubBox.add(MajorRightBottomSubSubBottomBox);

}

just kode it in html5 my nigga

Just do it in electron and write it in JS and html

That's just the top level containers. I was hopelessly naive to assume those and the ones for each section (and subsection, and in some cases sub-sub section) would be enough. Nope, I need MEDIUM LEVEL CONTAINERS.It's like an infinite stream of YO DAWG, I HEARD YOU LIKE CONTAINERS, SO YOUR CONTAINERS GOT CONTAINERS N SHIIIIIEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT, repeating forever and ever, each one with it's own poorly explained behaviors that interact with one another to produce a massive clusterfuck.I wrote disc image I/O in maybe 200 man hours. I've invested tens of thousands of hours into fucking with the GUI for THIS ONE FUCKING PROGRAM and this is all I have to show for it.We need death camps for language designers. I'm serious. If your language/OS/software is shit, you do hard labor in Alaska on starvation rations for as many programmer hours as you wasted.

You obviously never used any other GUI toolkit.

>GridBagLayout
If you know HTML tables (colspan and rowspan), then this is basically that, with the additional options of alignments, default sizes, etc
>GroupLayout
It's GridBagLayout for dummies; it's a little gay to setup (you have to initialise the container and then retroactively apply the layout, and then everything is like ...(....(....())....(....()))). This layout focuses around parallel (basically overlapping shit) and sequential (not overlapping shit).
>BoxLayout
Basic layout that puts shit in whichever order you like (X axis, Y axis, page (middle going down), and another which is just the horizontal version)
>BorderLayout
Sexy, default layout that gives you a header, footer and body design. This also includes left and right vertical bars. Basic shit.
>FlowLayout
The name says it all. It's somehow easier than BoxLayout, I don't know how they managed to achieve that level of laziness.
>CardLayout
Never touched this. Looks just so fucking awful.
>GridLayout
Literally just specify row and columns then shit gets added to it as though it were a grid
>SpringLayout
Nah nigga never even bothered to touch that gay ass shit

in summary:
>git gud fag

Where can i play this game
Im interested

Dude HTML and CSS are far, far superior to this because the interactions between components and their behavior is PREDICTABLE. It's explained everywhere. I haven't found anyone to explain this stuff in Java.

Attached: reeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (225x225, 3K)

Use JavaFX & SceneBuilder and you can design UI however you want by drag&drop and then inject reference to the fields with @FXML annotation.

>Complains about how Java UI is so ugly
>Uses AWT and/or Swing
Seriously, do you faggots live under a rock or something? I thought everyone taught JavaFx. Of course Swing looks like shit: it is ancient.

SaGa Frontier for the PS1, I'm writing an editor for it.

My laptop isn't powerful enough to run crazy shit like that, and I already have a lot of the application written.

Attached: IMG_20180524_132129.jpg (1944x2592, 1.43M)

see
>Just do it in electron and write it in JS and html

It's not that it looks like shit, it's the unpredictable behavior when you resize things or in interaction with parent/child/sibling containers/objects. It's just fucking weird the shit it does.

Attached: SaGa_Frontier.jpg (513x457, 106K)

It's really not fucking hard, JavaFX is really intuitive, gridpane is very nice, and borderpane is extremely quick

I'm on Mint Debian and getting java 8 is a huge pain in the ass.

Attached: (JPEG Image, 268 × 188 pixels).jpg (268x188, 12K)

How literally just fucking download netbeans + jdk and run the bash script

I ain't making that shit for you, but here's a start
>pastebin.com/EyCL6mUU
>pic related
if you're gonna run with it, then you can figure out how to get the containers to display the way you want them to on your own
shit's not that hard
also always use uimanager to override LAF cus java default laf is fucking ugly

Attached: 354654326564436.png (236x431, 7K)

gridBagYogurt

also you can change
public class Faggot extends JFrame
to just public class Faggot
i was gonna use it as superclass but got lazy and just defined frame later on

>writing a game in java

what the fuck are you doing OP? did you do any research beforehand?

thinking is hard for retards user

It's a game editor, not a game. This is supposed to be the item editor, for a table that is 256 entries by 28 bytes per entry. It's pretty simple, and there aren't a lot of combo boxes and switches and shit to this particular editor.

Contrast this with the initial character data which is 256 bytes per entry and about 40 entries. About half of them are bit toggles so that's like hundreds of GUI objects, not counting containers.

haha yeah bros le java is slow and verbose xDD lets write our OS in javascript!! its fast cuz le v8 :DD lets make everything run inside a browser!

HUr Dur Let's Have a Java Hate Thread because we can't be assed to use Javafx instead of dinosaur technology from 1998

Anyways, if anyone wants to bully me for my code you can find bullycide material here:
bitbucket.org/Mithridates/

And you can call me a faggot here:
jce3000gt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=28

We still need to document the battle and event scripting systems, so if you're familiar with MIPS r3000 and have unlimited free time stop on by.

The issue isn't that this technology is old, it's that no one has fucking documented how it interacts with it's various parts because everyone just uses a builder. My shit is mostly Box objects and it's still being fucking retarded.

Then use javafx

>my laptop cant run javafx scenebuilder
nigger what are you doing writing java then