/spg/ - Smartphone General

Pajeet edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier
you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: main-qimg-9a6328e23ad2ce19bcf8e5decf7c372f.jpg (602x304, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dt9_fZDT-As
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is it possible/worthwhile to get a big-ass battery for an old-ass phone? Galaxy S4, specifically

Possible yes, worthwhile no

What are the best phones with removable batteries? It seems like phones with removable batteries last longer and have more support, right?

hey guys paranoid schizo over here, what kind of chink shit smartphone and setup will protect me from my government and the burger overlords

Honestly, don't even get a phone if you don't have to. Phone calls send location data, albeit not as accurate as calls from landlines. That's how 911 finds you when you call them.

It's not hard to track the location of a cell phone if you're the govenment. They can even do it with dumbphones by triangulating using cell towers. Best bet is to not have a phone at all if you're super paranoid about that.

If you're not *that* paranoid, you could buy something cheap like a Moto G, root it, install a custom OS like Lineage OS without google apps, and hope that the hardware backdoors aren't used on you. I like the Moto G because it still has a removable battery and SD card slot.

who /s9/ here

>want to buy a new phone
>ill have to sign up for an $80 plan and pay $20 per month toward the phone for two years

are these people nuts? wtf is this

Any help would be appreciated.

UK with O2, looking to spend £400-600
Headphone jack is nice, needs a decent camera and I do like a camera button.

Currently have a Xperia Z2, looking to upgrade as it's overheating and the battery has gone to shit. I want something similar. Is the XZ1 any good? Phones with better cameras priced reasonably?

Thanks

Pixel 2 vs OnePlus 6

>>SD845vs SD835.
>> 8gb of RAM vs 4gb
>>Day Pixel camera though

Both roughly the same price where I'm located.

The most prominent options are the S9+, Pixel 2 XL if you can miss the headphone jack, or P20 Pro if you are okay with chinaman watching your every move.
All three have great cameras. the P20 Pro has the best camera hardware out of them but the worst software, the Pixel 2 XL the worst camera but the best software for it, and finally the S9+ is average in both.
They really don't give each other much in respect to picture quality, each has their own niches where they are a tiny bit better than the other two, but all around they are very on par.

im poor and i want front facing speakers
what do

How well does the Galaxy Note 3 perform under Oreo (Lineage)? Is RAM a problem?

Camera on XZ1 is meh, XZ2 is better in that regard but no headphone jack.

Galaxy S9 camera is great, S8 is still decent too. I'd also consider Oneplus 6, it's a step below the current best rated camera phones but can still take some good photos.

Buy unlocked then

Or you could just, you know, buy the phone and not slowly pay it off over 2 years with interest out the ass through some shitty contract.

Ok thanks, can be a bit pricey though, is the s8 good enough still? Compared with the s9.

I'll have to look for some camera comparisons of those then. Obviously upgrading from a z2 I'd assume anything would be a little better and I'm happy with it now anyway.

Should be able to find a S9+ for 600 pounds if you dig around a bit I think, but yeah.
The S8 is solid too. It's not quite as good as the S9+'s camera but it will still take beautiful pictures for a cellphone.

HTC One M8/M9
Blackberry DTEK60
Alcatel Idol 3/4
Axon 7 / 7 Mini
Moto X Style
Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact

All have FF stereo speakers, should be able to find them ~$50-200 new or used

S9 advantage for pictures is really only in the darker scenes.

In bright light you can hardly notice the difference between an S9 and S8.

noobs below me

Attached: 1483576859013.gif (400x399, 193K)

Just ordered an S9+ on amazon prime, it should show up here tomorrow.

What are the first few things I should do when I get it other than disabling all the preinstalled bloat and downloading Fate Grand Order from the Google Play Store?

Attached: galaxys9_design2.jpg (589x442, 52K)

>Samsung
Throw it in the toilet

Why are you so upset?

I'm not upset, why do you ask?

I don't know, you seemed angry and I wanted to know if I could help.
Hope everything is okay.

How do I seem angry?

>Throw it in the toilet
it's waterproof, what exactly do you hope to accomplish with this?

That's what I was recommending in the first place, test the IP rating, but user wanted to insist I'm angry, it's hilarious

It seemed as if you had some personal grudge against Samsung, that they wronged you in some way in the past.
If that's not the case and I just read too much into your previous post that's okay too tho. Hope you have, or have had depending on where you live, a nice day!

Yeah, you definitely read to much, chill the fuck out homey

>to
Too

Did you know what I meant?

>FGO
Play an actually good mobage like FEH instead

Attached: Full_Portrait_Ursula.png (1600x1920, 1.6M)

Best easily rooted phone for under $400 ?

Still OnePlus One.

Xiaomi Mi A1

I want a zero stress phone. My budget is unlimited but I obviously don't want some diminishing returns $1000 thing.

I am USA on at&t

>My budget is unlimited
>don't want some diminishing returns $1000 thing
Something doesn't add up.

S9+ or Pixel 2 XL? Both around the same price in where I live but keep in mind that we get the Exynos version for the Galaxy.

I would buy the op6 out of those just because of the bigger screen. Pixel 2 bezels are just not good also. I would suggest just waiting for the pixel 3 and op6t depending on what phone you have.

I was using a Nexus 6 and it was just so slow and I had to help charging it at work so I just bought an op6.

S9+.
The Pixel 2 XL feels like a 500$ phone when it's being sold for twice as much.

What connections do I need exactly if I want my phone to work with talk, text and data on a network? If the only similarity between my network and my phone is say, LTE band 7, does this mean I have 100% functionality, or does this mean I only have data and the other stuff comes in through different things?

Even when the SD835 is probably faster than the Exynos 9810?

The other stuff comes in through different things, yes.

It's not a dramatic difference, but the Exynos is generally accepted to be the better chipset.

The main issue with the Pixel 2 XL is really the hardware in my opinion. It's just nothing particularly special. Compared to the S9's absolutely ridiculous screen and stellar build quality the Pixel just feels cheap. Also doesn't have a headphone jack if you care about that.

okay, is there like a chart somewhere for providers or in general that states which things are mandatory, which are fallback, and which are legacy? I can't really figure out what I need to match to obtain compatibility .

the new exynos is a beast on paper but it's poorly optimised, it blows the snapdragon out of the water in benchmarks but it drains your battery and loads apps slower due to shit optimisation
that said you really wont notice the difference and the eu s9 is still fantastic, wish we had a fucking fm chip though

Also keep in mind the Exynos version can easily be rooted if you ever want to do that in the future. The Snapdragon one is a lot more problematic when it comes to modding.

If the $1000 phone was worth it, then I would buy it. It probably is not. I don't know what the best value is.

iphone 8(+)

looking online now!!!!
Ur the best

Attached: 1526912494460.png (540x833, 815K)

don't get an m8, it's absolute shite

is there anything I can buy to give my eu s9 the ability to listen to fm radio?

What carrier?

Nexus 5

Freedom Mobile

How does that not add up? Just because you have money doesn't mean you're okay with wasting it.

Why even add that money isn't even an issue in the first place then

maybe he was trying to say that he's willing to pay for it, but only if it's for robustness. Like you might say a lot of phones would be overkill in certain areas and exclude them because of what that does to the price, but if he's not buying a phone every year or every other year, then it probably isn't overkill, and he would be willing to pay?

Mainly wanting a phone with the 845 so it'll do a while. The Exynos 9810 seems shoddy. But I don't want a huge phone like the OP6, is it my only option in that price bracket? I can get the XZ2C for £529, the 128GB OP6 for £519 and the S9 for £539.

Fuck these things man - I just messed up my second tempered glass application.

Is there a full proof way?

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x300, 18K)

XZ2C, OP6 is too big, XZ2C is comfy

Why would anyone iphone 8 plus be the best choice

Use the tape hinge method:
youtu.be/dt9_fZDT-As

Also, install it in the bathroom after taking a shower, the humidity means less dust in the air

Is it worth getting a s9+ over just the s9? Currently just have a z2 and the plus seemed like it'd be pretty big.

Any good phones for $300 US ($400 canadian) that support band 66 and (optionally) 13? I was looking at a Nokia 6.1, and liked that, but unfortunately it doesn't match my carrier. I don't really care about camera as I never take pictures, but I would like decent battery life and good longevity/future proofing hardware. No: notches, rounded edge screens, curved screens. And something about 5"-5.5" screensize, or a little bit larger if there is reduced bezel.

Sony XA2 or Moto X4?

Yeah, plus is better but I would wait for the Note 9

What is the best flagship?

In what way is it better other than a bigger screen?

My budget probably doesn't let me wait for the Note desu (£600)

More ram (6 GB vs 4 GB) and bigger battery (3500 mAh vs 3000 mAh).

Don't forget the dual rear camera

Seems I need the plus then. Is the size not too big? Carrying around in pocket wise.

Also are there any decent cases?

Thanks again for all the help.

eu s9 (normal) here
I use my phone for retroarch, dashchan and music, everything just werks perfectly and the phone is aesthetic as fuck
battery is a bit shit tbqh but you can fix it by fucking about
would rec/10
also it's beautifully designed, its
a e s t h e t i c

Dunno why he said m8/m9. Go for the 10. 550ppi and fantastic sound quality, aluminum curved shell which is far superior to glass shit that modern phones have. I loved mine dearly. Best phone of that year, since then htc have been in decline.

10 doesn't have front facing speakers, it's one front facing and one on the bottom.

Yeah but eh

whitestone dome screen protector is a must

need to get a new phone, but I'm on (((sprint))) and will be for the next year at least.

Right now I have an htc one e8 that's damaged. I'm looking for a small-ish phone with support for rooting and flashing custom shit, a notification LED and expandable memory plus a 3.5mm audio out port.

I'm looking at these options: Galaxy J3, Galaxy J7, Moto E4, and LG Tribute Dynasty. everywhere I look is just pajeet trash with regards to rooting these phones. Would I be better off buying an unlocked CDMA phone and using that instead? if so what are some good ones for someone who wants to feel like a 1337 hacker?

What's the best multimedia phone out there?
I'm talking speakers, video quality, etc.

S9+ is king right now. Great display.

Most people dont use speakers for media viewing since phone speakers are shit, even the BEST phone speakers are shit compared to even mid range headphones.

Most media oriented phones are focusing on the display, which is by far the most important aspect.

Pocket casts it's worth it?

Not only that but who actually listens to videos in public using the phone speakers? Not only is it annoying but there are so many environmental factors going against them
You're better off wearing cans/buds anyways, so you should be focused more on which phone has the best DACs available

Good question

I use podcast addict, and it's p good free wise

Hey Jow Forums,I need some advice I guess. Please keep in mind that I am retarded. I've had a cheap ass galaxy amp prime for about 6 months now and have had no problems. I'll occasionally do a soft reset to clear the cache and shit. Today I did just that but this time instead of coming right back on by itself it stayed off. So I held the power button and instead of booting up like normal it went to a sort of staticky multicolored screen. So I removed the battery and placed it back in and it's been working just fine. My question is should I be concerned? What was that rainbow static? Is my phone soon to be fucked? Please advise. Currently posting from that very phone.

Jesus get a better phone and get straight talk or something else other than cricket, I mean you do know they cripple speeds on Cricket right?

Yes user. I know it's shit. I'm not gonna go into some poorfag type story about why I'm using this I'm just curious about that reset issue. I plan on upgrading to a better provider and device but it'll be a few months.

I'm not sure because Samsung low end are really no better than BLU low end, it sounds like a hardware issue which means there is no fix unless you want to take it apart and I hope you're good with a soldering iron
You're going to need to save up and switch bro, use the phone while it lasts, which might not be much longer, who knows

Thanks user. I hope it lasts a bit longer. I looked into straight talk and it looks better. Gonna look into coverage in my area.

What are the best carriers /plans in the USA?

If you live east of the Mississippi, get AT&T SIM from Straight Talk, they don't throttle speeds and they have the best coverage and BYOD so more choice of phones

Yes

Best is relative
Best how?

West of the Mississippi actually.

you on the coast?