Are cassette tapes really making a comeback?

Are cassette tapes really making a comeback?

Attached: Sonys-New-Cassette-Tape-Holds-64750000-Songs.jpg (1200x932, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no but consumer-level tape drives are

Attached: hp_c7975a_3tb_lto_5_ultrium_rw_1004970.jpg (500x500, 36K)

Us 80s kids right *dabb*

hahahahha lol

My Walkman broke years ago where am I supposed to get a new one?

only if you're a depressed boomer clinging on to a time where you didn't know about worries besides getting good grades and picking the right nes games. Or if you're a retarded kid being nostalgic about an aesthetic that was around when you weren't in the plan. Either way you're gay and trump will be voted again.

>where am I supposed to get a new one?
You can try the internet. I've heard you can buy lots of things you can't normally find in stores.

People old enough to have been forced to use audio cassette will never go back again. It's depreciated trash like VHS.

@66445291

>this is what counts as "bait" today

He's right though. Learn to quote before posting.

@66445401
I didn't want to give him/you a (You).

It's just a stupid trend.
The bigger deal is Apple ending iTunes downloads by 2019

Attached: 287CB19C-B84D-4E04-AE34-3DF0E93C859D.jpg (1100x1100, 99K)

>not DAT
what a shame

Back in my day we jacked off to radio

kill yourself retarded newfaggot, and also stop telling people what to like and what not to like.

a little bit. They're fun and offer a physical item that is collectable.

>Apple ending iTunes downloads by 2019

whaaaaat ? link ?

no you fucking spacker

crap music quality
tapes getting chewed
fastforward... too far... turn tape over... fast forward... too far... fast fo-nailed it
>welcome to the jubgle baby, you're goonnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaa dddddddddddddrruuuhhhhhhh......
batteries dead

What's their use case? I'm going to guess they're slower than metal disks.

>The bigger deal is Apple ending iTunes downloads by 2019
Prove it.

Long term cold storage aka archive

it didn't exist before the 80's, so it's not retro enough to be retro-cool

cassette tapes were already almost a couple decades old by the 80's
it's like saying CD's are a 00's kids thing, cd's were popular in the 2000's sure, but they were being pushed out fast by flash/hdd media players, just as by the 80's, cassettes were being pushed out by CD's

They're pretty much the cheapest-per GB long term storage medium out there, but the readers cost thousands so it's a database warehouse thing.

Audio cassettes were originally only meant for speech recordings because the quality was so poor. People listened to records in the 60's and 70's. It wasn't until tape decks began showing up in cars and ghetto blasters in the 80's that audio cassette for music became popular. Audio CDs were available in the 80's as well, but they were expensive and it took a decade before they were they became more affordable and wide spread.

they started making pre-recorded cassettes in the mid 60's, not long after they were introduced as dictation format

If they did, nobody was buying them. Perhaps you're thinking of 8 track.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-21_20-33-10.png (1002x631, 32K)

Cassette tapes were one of the worst audio formats ever. They were for recording vinyl and later CDs to be eaten in your car deck.

cassettes were perfect for making your own radio shows and improvised stories though
brb digging up old tape

Since almost all the cars I drive are 80s/90s I've started making cassette mixtapes. Much happier than swapping the radio out in everything I buy.

Attached: 20180403_011504.jpg (2560x1440, 809K)

I want that cassette.

>windows
you were so close

I use the windows laptop for adobe flash and a few other programs I'm familiar with, just so happened to be using it that day. I have a linuxbox thinkpad that I prefer for everything else.

Where do you guys get cassettes from? Do you just record your own or do you buy old shit? I imagine the good stuff is pricier nowadays

>crap music quality
If you get a properly recorded metal (or even just chrome) tape, and a deck that doesn't suck, the sound can have higher fidelity than CD. Of course stuff recorded from radio onto the cheapest tape with some brandless deck is gonna sound shit
>tapes getting chewed
You're thinking of VHS. This never happens to compact cassette tapes.

>higher fidelity than CD.
no, they can sound pretty good, but still don't touch CD

>This never happens to compact cassette tapes.
i've seen car and portable players eat tapes, home units (that don't move) are pretty rare though, definately had more vhs tapes eaten than compact cassettes (not surprising considering how much more complex vcr's are)

or or you could just replace the belt

Either your baiting or literally never touched a tape.

If good precision analog equipment is used everywhere from recording to playback, it will literally have higher fidelity than CD. That's just the nature of analog vs digital.

The thing about CD that makes it good, is that it's always the same quality every time. With CD you can put it in a shitty drive, and as long as everything from DAC to the speakers is decent, the sound is gonna be good.
With tape there can be variation between two different copies of the same tape, it can be degraded over time, damaged, etc. But on the other hand, there are no hard limits, you can have as high of a fidelity as you want, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend on equipment.
CD is just more convinient for most people (including myself).

It might depend on the deck. I only ever seen very shitty ones chew tapes. Meanwhile with VHS even high end decks do this.

Link or it didn't happen.

>there are no hard limits [with analog]
common misconception, while digital has pre-set limits, that doesn't mean analog does not
keep in mind that digital data is also stored on an analog medium, and how much digital data you can put on it depends on the quality of the analog side of things
from what i've read, cassettes top out with a noise floor equivalent to ~14bits, CD's are 16bit. not just that, even if they could be better than CD's, it would be pointless, since CD's are right at the limits of human hearing anyway (which is likely why you can't hear much noise on high end cassettes, especially not if you include noise reduction, something you don't need to do on CD's since the noise level is so low to begin with)

>cassettes
>not the vastly superior minidisc

Attached: E29D99F6-EEBA-4105-BBE1-224C25BDAAD3.jpg (3501x2621, 1.88M)

does anyone know how long can data be stored on a powered off hard drive?

Why do so many people have the incorrect opinion that because something is analog it means that it has potentially perfect quality? Analog formats have measurements just like digital formats. CDs measure better than both cassettes and vinyl, yet people still believe that if you spend enough money on your setup vinyl will sound better.

>it will have a higher precision
No, there are limits to how "fine" information can be on an analog medium. The stylus on a record player can only be so small and the magnetic field can only be so strong.

The only way you're going to get CD quality tapes are by getting expensive metal blank tapes and recording from a CD.

14bits are only for chrome tapes. The standard ones that everyone used are a lot closer to 6-8bits

There won't be any new downloads, so you better stock up.

>stocking up on lossy AAC files

>perfect
Nothing is perfect.
>Analog formats have measurements just like digital formats
The difference is that analog quality depends on higher amount of components than CD. This is what makes analog both better and worse than CD
>if you spend enough money on your setup vinyl will sound better.
Don't know much about vinyl, but I'm pretty sure this is actually true. The main difficulty here is finding medium that's recorded well.

No
>consumer
no

>If good precision analog equipment is used everywhere from recording to playback, it will literally have higher fidelity than CD. That's just the nature of analog vs digital.
>With CD you can put it in a shitty drive, and as long as everything from DAC to the speakers is decent, the sound is gonna be good
You're incredibly wrong on both accounts. A "digital" signal from a CD is sampled with an analog sensor in a mechanical drive. Digital filtering can have a large effect on the SNR. Since ICs have improved since the 90's, the.sound quality is better.
>Hurrr muh analog LP is inherently better even though it has mechanical and electrical limits!1!1!!!!111!!!!
kys, try getting a frequency above 12kHz out an vinyl player

Reminder cassettes were invented literally for convenience over quality. There's no reason to own a cassette, they rotate too slow (1 7/8 IPS) to be of any useful quailty. Studio tapes spin at 15IPS and even Reel to Reels spin at 3 1/2 or 7 IPS.

tldr: get a reel to reel if you want to have a better sounding magnetic tape

Attached: SDC10792_low.jpg (648x486, 52K)

analog is objectively worse
There's only so much precision you can get out of physical materials that you're eventually going to hit a hard wall caused by the material itself. You can't defy physics. Digital audio, on the other hand, can have an arbitrary amount of bit depth and arbitrary sample rate. You can have as much as you want so long as you can set the format and code the codec library. 44.1 48 and 192 khz, and 16, 24 and 32 bits are just the industry accepted sample rates and bit depths.

ayy where my tape bros at?

Attached: Tapes.jpg (2047x1708, 1.45M)

Maybe this could enlighten you.
xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

>the sound can have higher fidelity than CD

It's like winning the special olympics.

Attached: 1527802208041.gif (330x166, 2.11M)

This rumor has already been debunked faggot. Everybody shouting link?????? is also a faggot who can’t do their own research.

What's next, wax cylinders sounding better than CD's?

just needs a new belt

Attached: SDC10447_low.jpg (512x384, 30K)

based Monty

>The difference is that analog quality depends on higher amount of components than CD.
true, more or less
with analog, the better the components, the better the quality of the output, up to a certain limit (output quality doesn't linearly improve with component quality, you pretty quickly reach a point where you're spending way too much for way too little gain)
while with digital, everything before the DAC just needs to be 'good enough', any variation above 'good enough' doesn't affect the output whatsoever, that's what makes it digital. only the DAC and everything after it (the amplifier and speakers) really matters, since that's (partially) in the analog domain

you can't expect a $10,000 cassette deck to sound $9,500 better than a $500 deck. nor can you expect it to beat a $500 CD deck, since the underlying tech behind CD is just miles ahead to begin with, it's so, so much cheaper and simpler to get a high quality signal to where the amp starts, that there's just no competition as far as value is concerned

that said, some people just simply prefer the imperfections ('colour') that certain formats add, it makes no sense to say that's wrong, it's subjective. but people who truly believe vinyl/cassettes are fundamentally a better audio format than CD really need to stop giving advice

> (OP)
>>cassettes
>>not the vastly superior minidisc
Ha, I had a mini-disk player. Those things were great, it's a shame they never caught on.

>windows
>that desktop
>trackball
>dogshit logitech speakers literally 2 watts or some shit

>2k bucks for a new LTO5 drive
Yare yare.

>is [deprecated technology] making a comeback?
No.

Yes
Mainly because indie bands start selling cassette versions of their albums on i.e. Bandcamp. The only tapes still being manufactured are the type 1 ferric tapes
Though I never grew up with tapes, I hardly even grew up with CDs for that matter, so I don't really have the nostalgia that's probably needed for something like this

No all the black cunts try to sell their mixtapes on cds.

>eaten in your car deck
This is 100% true. To be fair to the crummy old things, they took a shit ton of abuse and managed to work pretty darn well. Hot/cold cycling, crumbs, dropped on asphalt, hurled at your asshole friend who wouldn't shut up, etc.

Okay, maybe Paul's Boutique had some crazy wavers here and there, but you could still listen to it. I left a Diamond Rio 500 in a hot car and I guess all the chips popped off the board because it stopped working after that.

Used to have to listen to the radio until the specific song came on that you wanted, then you could record it onto the casette
Being a poorfag i usually just copied over shitty casettes ( my sisters probably hated me) instead of buying blanks
Somewhere out there are some 80s band casettes with 90s house music from the radio on them

>so glad i finally got my cassett-
FUCK FUCK FUCK

Attached: IMG_9380.png (638x677, 809K)

Attached: image011.jpg (602x461, 40K)

I have no idea, but i guess they'd be a cool way to store digital data, like maybe private keys, and stash in a secure place
Since they're analog you'd need a modem kind of thing tho

nice

Attached: IMG_4743.jpg (2448x3264, 1.5M)

use a pencil you autist

>the sound can have higher fidelity than CD
No.

>Are cassette tapes really making a comeback?
No

All the high end equipment to make it sound good is in the hands of enthusiasts and were only build up until 2000. All the know how is gone and factories have closed.

The only thing you will get is cheap chinese crap with cheap chinese tapes for cheap nostalgia.

Nak decks go for several hundreded thanks to "audio enthusiast"

very long term storage (think decades)

To all vinyl fags and other audioretards ITT. I used to work in a factory that produced over 90% of vinyls in the world made after 1989.
All the masters, from biggest hipsters in Moldavia to Universal UK came as CDs with FLACs, 0 analog. Everything you listen to has been digitally processed and compressed at some point of it's journey to your ears. If you've spent over 1000€ on your analog audio setup, know that you get AT BEST the same audio quality as people who download flacs on their 200€ phones.

are you mentally gifted m8

Do they still make and sell boomboxes?

only cheap chinese crap where there is a function to "record" from USB by way of a small microphone pointed directly at the speaker

If I'm remembering right, ~10-20 years but they need to be powered on every once in a while to keep the magnetization. CDs lose their data after a while too, especially if the disc is of low quality. M-Discs should last you a long time though.

Don't buy any modern tape players, they're all chinkshit that plays in mono.

Only CD-Rs have the data loss problems right now