/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find more detailed videos on YouTube)
youtube.com/watch?v=9M2-UIwWguw
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs. youtube.com/watch?v=FC3fsVk9Sss

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series Intel boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>GPU prices have gone down
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 or Vega 64 /w Freesync, 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>Lock to 72fps on 144hz non-Gsync monitors to prevent tearing on more demanding games
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: ParJh9q.jpg (3840x2400, 899K)

Other urls found in this thread:

testufo.com/ghosting
youtube.com/watch?v=m6RWEnUsLSY
youtube.com/watch?v=rLru2yueeis
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000P-005U4&cm_re=Acer_KG241Q-_-0JC-000P-005U4-_-Product
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QRCZQZ
youtube.com/watch?v=doGp5LI6igg
youtube.com/watch?v=QF7odK55gkI
youtube.com/watch?v=8_qOiOlRjH4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for the 8700k is the only Intel CPU worth buying, and even then only if you delid and go meme cooling for 5+ GHz

samsung c24hg73 or something
i have friends with high end gsync monitors who don't even use the gsync feature but use it for ULMB instead because it makes competitive shooters much more crisp in motion and the 165hz of most gsync monitors and their good QC (compared to freesync) is an added bonus. most people don't need that though so i just use my monitor with it's backlight strobing feature which makes motion extremely crisp. you cant use these low motion blur features with gsync/freesync anyway so there's literally no reason to buy a monitor for adaptive sync when low motion blur settings exist.

see pic related, i just took pics of it just now. top one is when you use freesync/gsync. bottom is when you use low motion blur modes. you can see the huge difference in motion the bottom one is.

testufo.com/ghosting

(reposting from last thread if the user wants to know more)

Attached: Untitled-1.png (1000x500, 1.07M)

I don't need to worry about if things like the ssd and psu are on the qvl for the mobo, do I? It seems weird that the mx500 isn't qualified for the crosshair vii.

Do both your case fans need to be the same or does it not matter?
My intake fan can be 25mm thick, but my exhaust can only be 20mm thick.
Buy the same fan, two different fans, or mod the case so the exhaust fan can also be 25mm?

Doesn't matter, get what fits the slot

Don't worry about it

So fans with different air flow won't make a difference?

So case specs be damned, I got a 298mm card in a case that doesn't support the length. That was not a fun fucking process to do though.

But yes, you can fit a 2.5 Slot 1080 TI into a 250D.

Attached: 1080_TI_Corsair_250D_1.jpg (1328x747, 323K)

If by air flow you mean the volume it pushes, no it doesnt matter.

But that being said you dont want all of your fans set up as intakes or all as exhaust, make sure you have an in and an out.

Tightest fit I've ever had to work with, if the card was one or two mm longer or thicker I don't think it would have worked out.

Attached: 1080_TI_Corsair_250D_2.jpg (664x374, 121K)

Thank you.

Is Ryzen a meme Y/N?

Attached: 1526594392270.gif (540x304, 1.22M)

its a good meme

Anything by nvidia is the ultimate meme.

Not a meme, I've been using a 1200 for 6 months and I can't be happier coming from a Q6600
youtube.com/watch?v=m6RWEnUsLSY
youtube.com/watch?v=rLru2yueeis

Is a 1080 ti hybrid without warranty for $600 worth purchasing?

what the fuck is wrong with that girls leg in the middle?

That's the cart, not her leg.

Nothing. her left knee is hidden behind part of the cart.

It's not a meme if you accept that it's inferior to Intel, but cheaper.

Is there anything stopping me from building a PC in a college dorm?

Sucks to get memed into buying a dumb small case.

Affirmative action Jamal stealing your shit.

I like the 250D, I've used it for my last two builds and enjoyed it enough to go with it for the new one. It's actually quite large for itx just 2.5 slot cards are fucking massive.

>Should I go ahead with this monitor?
>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000P-005U4&cm_re=Acer_KG241Q-_-0JC-000P-005U4-_-Product
>Or should I grab a AMD Radeon 580?
Uh what's your situation?
Were you with the 1060 or 1070..?

There is math to figure out how many screen tears you'll have, if you know the true color-to-color refresh rate.
It's pretty simply to understand. But yes if you go non-gsync then ULMB with a very high refresh rate is best.

ULMB hurts my eyes, though, and I like IPS.

I just mean if I will have any issues. Like will anyone think I'm making a bomb by ordering so many parts?

That's one of the weirdest concerns I've ever heard of.

Is this gonna be good or above average if im gaming?

Attached: 5FA532A0-AEDB-4206-B663-A2ABB6E0D733.png (2048x1536, 340K)

this is way above average. average is 1060 or lower tier.

>8600k
no

So user, do you have a pic of your monitor plus background. I just like seeing what other people have

>8600K
read the OP

If this is a gaming build, yes.
Ignore the people that tell you go AMD unless you have budget problems.

This is above average, high end to be exact.

I'm running a g4400 atm, it's decent for normal use but sandbox games stutter like shit shoud I upgrade to a g4560 for 45EUR (and try to sell my cpu for 20-ish) or should I wait zen2? in this case is reasonable to expect a drop in ram prices for fall 2019?

>have to pay state tax for internet sales now
Should I just buy a GPU now then? Any future sales if they happen will be negated by sales tax

Based

RAM prices wont drop in a long time.
GPU prices will though.

>G4400
You already have DDR4 RAM, reuse your current RAM and just buy a new Motherboard and CPU.

>g4560 for 45EUR
That's not much of an upgrade. That's retarded.
A 7700 would be okay if you find one cheap like $200. Otherwise it's low value compared to what zen2 will likely be. It's even low value compared to a 2700X.

Part of what'll keep GPU prices up is the high memory prices.
They'll go to around MSRP, but we aren't going to see $100 RX570s like we saw $100 RX470s maybe ever.

My first build. What kind of monitor should I get? Mostly program + light gaming (Im a csgo casual)
Prices in CAD (live in leafcuck town)

Attached: buid1.png (1147x810, 80K)

post the PCPP link

Remove the A400, Horrible SSD, avoid kingston SSDs in general.
Get a 860 EVO or an ADATA SU800.
Get a Noctua Heatsink, you got a high end CPU and you are using a cheap heatsink?
Look for NH-D15 or NH-U14S
Get a WD Blue HDD or a HGST HDD.
A EVGA 650 G2, G3 or GS.
Or a 620W Seasonic PSU.

why'd you pay $309 for a shitty model of 1060.
Why the shitty cooler, psu, SSD, motherboard, etc with an 8700k?
wow this build sucks. Do you want us to suggest an equally shitty monitor or something good? I'm guessing shitty.

>Im a csgo casual
You don't need an 8700K for that unless you're pushing a 240 hz monitor.
Honestly, a Ryzen 5 2400G with an RX 560 would probably be overkill for that.

CS go is one of those games that can run at good graphics settings on a potato

You might as well, most states are big-time money-grubbers, I doubt very many will be sitting around very long to take advantage of the ruling. Certainly by Jan 1 (when lots of new laws take effect) they'll all have new tax mandates in place.

What's a good laptop/CPU to be looking for in the refurbished 200-400 USD price range?
Currently eyeing i5 4300U. Priorities are price > battery > perf > features. Storage doesn't matter, 64/128GB SSD is enough.

What is that?

Why do I need a bigger PSU? Current wattage is about 350

GPU prices went way up. 309 is with employee pricing. Regular 1060 is 400+. I'll swap SSD and mobo

I program a lot and program with GPU a lot. Also considering playing more recent titles. AMD is out of the question, Intel CPU only.

Wait I'm retarded, here:
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QRCZQZ

Not only bigger but better.
Still you should get a PSU that is twice your rated PC usage for durability and efficiency reasons, never cheap out in your PSU, its what will tell how much time your build will last.

Got a dell precision 490 for 50 bucks, got no other desktop, gotta make this work, wat do?

Attached: image.jpg (2592x1936, 1.26M)

>dell precision 490
That thing is not worth $50, its $20-25.

Please tell me you have the heatsink.

Oh wait you do, is it not booting?

already have a decent gpu
I only have 4gb of 2133 ddr4, I will need some faster ram to use a amd system at it's best, but I don't want to spend this much right now
intel give me limited options both the kaby-lake pentium and i-3 segment are 2/4 threads and differences minimal, i5 are pricey and do not want to give more money to Intel

thanks for the (you) I guess I'll settle with what I have and upgrade in a year

So? just overclock to run at 2400 or 2600MHz.

The current state of our resident amd shills

post speccy or cpu z validation

>I program a lot and program with GPU a lot. Also considering playing more recent titles. AMD is out of the question, Intel CPU only.
You're retarded. Intel ONLY beats AMD in gaming, and narrowly at that. For any productivity work, AMD is better. AMD has actually caught up to Intel in terms of IPC. The reason for the disparity in gaming performance is simply games are better optimized for Intel's ringbus architecture. AMD's architecture is a massive shift (ie: A complete departure from how 'normal' architectures work) that requires game engines be able to utilize its unique architecture.
youtube.com/watch?v=doGp5LI6igg

Is 8GB of ram still enough for a new PC build?

Yes.
GPU and CPU should be your priority over getting more than 8GB RAM.

Let me sell you some square wheels. If you have any complaints then blame the road makers for not utilizing square wheels properly.

>fuck we cant lose a sell REEEEEEEEE. BUY. OUR. PRODUCT.

Attached: 1491916955985.png (653x726, 42K)

>I cheaped out on the monitor
/pcbg/ was fucking right plan your build around your monitor.
The fucking screws that hold the base on stripped instantly and I only have one screw of my own that fits. So now I have an unstable monitor I’m afraid to use as it might fall and break. BAKA
I have to use a fucking TV now god dammit.

Is there any way to test for a faulty cache on my cpu? I keep getting corrupted page BSODs. using a 4790k at the moment and ram tests keep coming back fine. I'd rather not have to replace my mobo, cpu and ram right now, the timing is pretty gay with the memory prices.

AMD is out of the question because I have 50% off Intel CPUs lol

By running a Linux USB.
And CPU-Z benchmark is pretty much a cache test.

Yeah duh lol. A high end monitor will cost as much as the gpu required to drive it

will it detect hardware faults?

Linux? yes, it will trow you kernel panic.
Still, Run Memtest86+ to check its not RAM.

Retarded argument with no basis in reality. You're implying a 5-10% difference means it doesn't work at all.
youtube.com/watch?v=QF7odK55gkI

See, this makes sense. At MSRP, Intel CPUs make very little sense in price to performance, but a massive discount like that can't be ignored.

How gimped will I be with a single 3200 Mhz stick with Ryzen?

I'm new to AMD CPUs. Outside of PBO is there anything else I need to do to enable/disable to get the best performance from Ryzen? XMP of course as well, but things specific to the platform.

it looks like a 8700k and a 2700x build cost about the same for what I need to replace. Which gives better quality of life? I don't even give a shit about overclocking I just want to play games and not fuss with hardware anymore.

8700K if you are going to play games.

AMD for out of the box use. 8700k requires manual overclocking and delidding which is either extra time or money (if someone does it for you). But for strictly gaming the 8700k is the best when not GPU bottlenecked.

Cute but I'm not sure it's even worth $50.

I see. Oh right the g4400 isn't even 2c/4t. I guess it would be worth upgrading to a g4560 and hopefully you can get 20 merklebucks for your 4400.
Btw what sandbox games are you talking about?

And current state of Intel shills is, what, hiding so people they duped into buying into a dead socket last year won't yell at them, only showing up to call people suggesting good builds a shill?
What?

That's a cheap 8700k but you should probably just get an 8700 non-k if you're poor and getting a shitty motherboard and shit, assuming 8700 is cheaper still.
But you need to fix every other part, too.

Like this build is ultra garbage. You seem to be memeing yourself about getting the high end CPU for cheap and you throw a bunch of dogshit at it that'll all be the bottleneck and/or make your computer explode.
Yeah that's fine, I got that. The problem is the rest of your build, as has been pointed out already by me and another.
If you can't afford to properly support the 8700k, maybe you should get an 8400 if not 8700?

It may stutter sometimes.

Nope, generally just PBO and XMP.

>looks like a 8700k and a 2700x build cost about the same for what I need to replace. Which gives better quality of life?
AMD because of the better SMT. It's smoother just in general.
Like you can render using 100% load on all 16 threads yet still browse the web, watch youtube or other streams, etc, whereas intel CPUs will hitch and stutter in the same scenario even with the same 8c/16t like on a 6900k.
It's much more incredibly rare that one program freezing up will be so greedy for resources that Windows freezes as well, too, probably for the same architectural reason.

all the benchmarks point to the 8700k having better single thread performance, and everyone else is saying 8700k for gaming. Why would I need to overclock exactly?

I lathered it with a tolulene glue that melts plastics and makes you retarded if you sniff it. Real industrial shit. I’m hoping that will keep things secure enough, it only has to stay on the desk.
It just blows because the rest of it is fucking fine but without a base it’s useless. It’s hinged so it won’t fall off completely if it fails but nothing would hold the angle. And I do have at least one screw I guess.
Maybe if I didn’t use that glue so much I wouldn’t have cheaped out on a monitor.

To get the most of it, still even stock its better.

cool thx lads.

Big advantage of 8700k, or newer Intel CPUs in general, is more the memory latency.
The vast majority of games are memory latency bottlenecked less so than "single threaded".
You can get the 2700X close or even better in a lot of games with fast RAM, but it requires manual tweaking of memory timings. See The Stilt's timings.

>Why would I need to overclock exactly?
Uhh because stock its two core boost is only 250mhz above the 2700X's 4.35GHz 2 core boost, and it only has a 3.5% IPC advantage which isn't much. That's not much higher, stock.
But you can tend to get another 400-600MHz out of overclocking the 8700k compared to that 2 core boost, whereas with a 2700X and BCLK overclock you can maybe get the 2 core boost up to 4.55GHz max, only a 200MHz increase.

youtube.com/watch?v=8_qOiOlRjH4

What CPU would go best with a GTX 1060 for gaming?

I5-8600K or a Ryzen 2600.

What about the Ryzen 2200?

i5 8400 dont get ryzen

No, that is a really low end CPU that is used in builds where people cant afford a GPU.
Only 8 PCIe lanes too so you get a bottlenecked card.
Look for a I5-8400 if you still have budget problems but want a GTX 1060 6GB, avoid the 3GB version.

Planning to build this new rig during 4th of July sale. Not really sure about the motherboard or the SSD. Should I get a cheaper asscock or assus mobo? And for SSD m.2 or 2.5? This is my first build ever. Tips and suggestions are very welcomed, ty.

Forgot to post pic damnit.

Attached: newpcbuild v 2.0.jpg (1522x846, 178K)

Get a 650W PSU.
SATA SSD is fine, you wont see a huge improvement for getting a NVMe SSD.

What are you going to use it for?

I got a Dell Optiplex 980 with an i7 in it for $50 bucks from a friend.
If I swap out the psu and the case, can I put my 770 in it and make it a decent gaming pc or will something bad happen.

You might want to replace the PSU before doing it.

>intel
what the fuck is wrong with you tardmo can you not read the OP

I found a screw that fits and secure the base. Back in business

Attached: 1502055755975.png (672x794, 343K)

Wait that is a SFF case according to google, then i doubt it will fit unless its an mATX sized case.

>if im gaming
Learn to read user.

>I don't even give a shit about overclocking
2700x

>I don't even give a shit about overclocking
learn to read brainlet

Or 2600X if you want something that's not entirely gayming focused.
Don't waste money on a 8600k like some retard has been saying this thread.

>notes the 2200G's lack of PCI lanes, with its 16 PCIe lanes free.
>recommends the 8400 which only has 12 PCIe lanes spare minus the GPU with a b360 board.
lmao?

Looks good, though I prefer smaller cases.

Might need a new PSU. You're otherwise fine.

>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Where here do you see 8600k? Show me because everytime i ctrl + f i cant find it