/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Ask your questions here.

Please first check the Jow Forums wiki for related keywords, and/ or search for an answer using one of the following privacy-respecting search engines (or any other such like them):

searx.neocities.org/
startpage.com/
ddg.gg/lite

Jow Forums wiki:
wiki.installgentoo.com/
Jow Forums sticky: Redirect questions that don't deserve their own thread with Previous thread:

Attached: ac5ba8f7ea21f9afea7577c6b7daa12f.jpg (700x949, 226K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows
superuser.com/questions/642265/moving-subtitle-text-up-in-srt-file-format
files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hi, can someone help me with this?

oh sweet

im getting into OOP, I have experience with python and C programming. Choosing between Java, C++ and C#, which is the easiest and which is the most useful?

thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows does this help?

I dual boot installed Lubuntu on my HP Envy shit machine that I got as a gift and I ended up not being able to boot into Windows after a day of Lubuntu. I panic mode'd and I wiped the entire Lubuntu partition and every other partition except for the huge 100gb partioon I left for Windows. Well now my pc wont boot anything so I went into GParted and deleted every partition and wiped the entire HDD ao i have 238.5GB of unallocated space.. And Windows can't install on the drive. It says that this computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. I can't even install Linux distros. What the fuck did I do and how do I fix it?

>In windows installer, click delete and format every single partition.
You could have recovered it in seconds at the start but you did something else.

I have no partitions, just 238.5Gb's of unallocated space.

Attached: IMG_9311.png (1136x640, 924K)

Easiest C#
Most useful C++ If you're into reverse engineering.

Creatinf a new partition doesnt work either, it gives me Error 0x8000405

Attached: IMG_9313.png (1136x640, 1.01M)

ranked by easiness (subjective)
C#
Java
C++

usefulness in terms of what you can do with it
C++
Java
C#

usefulness in terms of job possibilities
Java
C++
C#

my opinion from doing CS for a few years YMMV

This is a really stupid question.

So Im trying to play a game on my dual monitor set up but it keeps booting up on my secondary monitor (not my main one which I already have set to primary) and i cant switch to my primary monitor.

Any idea how to fix this?

Windows or Linux?
AMD or Nvidia?

I have a seedbox and a massive directory of data that I want to share. The problem is that I'm already seeding it on a private tracker and I don't want to mess with that torrent file.

If I create a trackerless torrent file via mktorrent and generate a magnet via rhash, I can successfully add it to rutorrent but even with a discrete name it doesn't add a new entry in the list. Is it even possible to generate a trackerless magnet link for a directory? Every time I try with a recursive tag and '-u' added to rhash, I get a magnet back for each dir/file instead of a single one.

Are there any decent free VPNs? I'm looking to spoof my country of origin.

windows.
nvidia

This problem just started happening today when I booted up DOOM for the first time after buying it in the steam sale. Its never done this to me

Someone please help me. I will pay you if you help.

I want to have resharper syntax highlighting from my work machine and have it on my home machine without buying a personal resharper license.

What do I need to do to do this?

ELI5 why archive.is doesn't work with Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS pls. Thanks

No

only if other people have the magnet link and add you as a peer directly, plus, you both need to be connectable (ports open)

Right, getting it seeded is one thing, but I'm talking about actually generating a single magnet for a directory with subdirs.

Hey everyone wondering if you might be able to help me with something. Just setting up a freenas box on a server that was given to me and im running into 2 problems.

1) I am unable to load available plugins. I have restarted the machine several times. (I'm trying to install plex, and running freenas 11.1)
2) The user that I created cannot log into the web gui forcing me to use root, and I would rather not. The credentials work on adding shares to windows and other device but not logging into the web portal.

thank you for this answer, but I can't get it to work. I looked it up and found a solution that uses what I assume is the method you were referring to:
00:00:01,000 --> 00:00:04,000
{\an7} Top-left: an7

00:00:05,000 --> 00:00:08,000
{\an8}Top-center: an8

00:00:09,000 --> 00:00:12,000
{\an9}Top-right: an9

00:00:13,000 --> 00:00:16,000
{\an4}Middle-left: an4

00:00:17,000 --> 00:00:20,000
{\an5}Middle-center: an5

00:00:21,000 --> 00:00:24,000
{\an6}Middle-right: an6

00:00:25,000 --> 00:00:28,000
{\an1}Bottom-left: an1

00:00:29,000 --> 00:00:32,000
{\an2}Bottom-Center an2

00:00:33,000 --> 00:00:36,000
{\an3}Bottom-right: an3

00:00:37,000 --> 00:00:45,000
Back to default

I copied that to a text file and saved it as an srt, and all of those subtitles just appear in the same usual place on the bottom of the screen. I figured there must be some setting in VLC to allow tags to override positioning or something but the only options in the subtitles section are to set a different default location. does this just not work anymore? also this is where i found that solution: superuser.com/questions/642265/moving-subtitle-text-up-in-srt-file-format

Is there an objective way for me to compare how well a 2 in 1 laptop or tablet writes using a digital pen? Or at least some reviewer who focuses on how well it works for notes and not just art?

I'm trying to pick out a new laptop for taking notes using a touchscreen and pen. But I don't have any stores with the actual laptops anywhere within a convenient distance to try myself so I'm having a hard time confidently choosing one. I'm mostly looking at the Dell XPS, HP Spectre, Surface Book 2 or just a basic iPad.

Attached: 1526659492813m.jpg (1024x768, 115K)

So I have an asus x555l and I wanna install a linux distro, I have never used a linux distro but ive lately got an itch to learn to use one I just wanna know which I should start out with.
Specs are

Intel Core i3 (5th Gen) 5020U / 2.2 GHz dual core 3mb cache

4 gb ram

Memory speed 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM

Processor intel HD Graphics 5500

1tb hdd

Currently running windows 10

I mainly just browse YouTube, Jow Forums, browse the internet play cataclysm dda, torrent/download movies/shows, and want to learn to code a little and might buy a raspberry in the near future. So what distro do you guys reccomend? ive been thinking of installing lubunto or xubuntu but I don't know if there up to the task.

Is there any way to calculate -1^n in C++ more efficiently than using pow()? I feel like there ought to be some trivial way of doing it (-1 if n is odd, 1 otherwise).

So after wrestling with problems with my network adapter all week I finally bought a PCI-e ethernet card, and now it has finally arrived so I put it into my case, only to find that as soon as I boot up again my integrated network card is now functioning again... Not sure why, maybe all I had to do was unplug the case for a while... I definitely did restart it a few times with no effect before but didn't try that, so will remember for next time.

So anyway will this extra, unused PCI-e network card be a drain to system resources in any way if I just leave it in? I guess I could return it but it seems like a pain and I might need it later, or if I want to connect another device directly to the PC or something

I got my mom a surface pro, she mostly uses it for digitizing recipes that she has from 5+ generations of family recipes. Shes never had a problem with it and when i was setting it up for her the pen worked flawlessly. The written to digital text works even with my doctoresque handwriting.

Set both of them up and then bond them.
Or you could set one device for incoming and one for outgoing traffic.

Yeah that should do it.
return (ceilf(f) == f && ((int)f % 2 == 0)) ? 1 : -1;

Is steam link good enough to stream my desktop playing streaming video to my TV?

what's the best way of wirelessly displaying my PC upstairs to my TV downstairs?

How do I view these messages? Can they be checked in-app?

Attached: 20180621_205012.jpg (298x338, 41K)

Twitter keeps freezing itself on my browser for no reason when I have a chat. Just the Twitter's site itself, and my others open tabs work fine.

I'm willing to get a client. Any recommendations for a Twitter client you guys have?

Windscribe and CyberGhost perform the best at their free plans.

pls?

>acer aspire netbook
>intel atom
>1gb ddr2
>140gb hd
I'd like to use it for fucking around on some Linux distro. What should I offer for it?

Can anyone tell me how the fuck this text is in the taskbar?
>Tech3220

How do I remove it?

Attached: wtf.png (835x114, 19K)

am I retarded? I'm making a really simple program that involves reading a file into the program and allowing the user to manipulate the data. i have a list of strings that contains the lines of the input file, and for some reason it's only reading every other line. I backed up my code and stripped away everything that doesn't pertain to them problem to try and isolate it, and after looking at it I still can't figure out why it's doing this.

pic related is the whole program, from top to bottom. right now it's just a window with one button that does everything. in.txt looks like:
one
two
three
four
five
six

and out.txt ends up looking like
two
four
six

I've looked through the code a hundred times and I just cannot figure it out.

Attached: Untitled.png (575x806, 40K)

Have you installed any new mice lately?

I wish I had a gf like that

no its not a mouse, my fucking boomer aunt got some pajeet tech support and thats her account number they pasted in there somehow

Have you run a basic mbam scan for anything out of the ordinary?

yep I have

girls are gross though

You've examined the Windows program list and all of that?

I know javascript does stupid shit like this and Jow Forums hates it, but when do these complications even appear in normal code besides the floating point problems?

Attached: rz3o1yibnc511.png (639x724, 211K)

yep! i cant find anything searching google about customizing a taskbar, etc

Nuke it from orbit and reinstall Windows 7/8.1.

so i kinda screwed up and didnt think about this in advance, but...
if the ground is tied in with the actual input will it fuck up my speakers
im plugging this into some kind of DAC for my desktop. should i just not plug the ground in? seems like a really fucking bad idea but still, i wanted to ask here

Attached: file.png (517x790, 703K)

Attached: pjrpnjyynjtz.jpg (659x317, 29K)

put it in windowed mode, drag it into the first screen and run borderless gaming to make it full screen

its fucking odd m8

surface and the ipad draw or whatever are the best in terms of portability, but the ipad is a crippled notebook. so your only real option is the surface

kubuntu

I don't know what it is. Call it compromised and start again.

Is updating Security Policy on Android Oreo worth it? It gave me a notification asking if I wanted to send a security report to Samsung. Has it deteced something on my phone, or is this just a normal action caused by my not choosing to send Samsung the report?

Attached: 41559724_p0.jpg (1500x1845, 1.64M)

AUDIOFAGS HELP ME PLEASE

I need to rip sound effects - NOT music - from some arcade roms. Every site I go to with a program claiming to rip sound effects only rips music; any site I go to claiming to have audio rips has only music.
How do I extract SOUND EFFECTS from roms? I don't care if I get gigantic folders with hundreds of files I need to sort through, I need sound effects badly. One game in particular I need sound effects for is Fighter's History: Karnov's Revenge.

Attached: 13945-Karnov's_Revenge_--_Fighter's_History_Dynamite-1488388719-thumb[1].png (320x235, 35K)

Anyone else has trouble with the Thread Watcher?
Every single thread I click there loads as broken HTML (White bg, no styles), but if I open them from the board page or catalog, they load fine, either SFW or NSFW boards.

I use Firefox, with the native extension (no 4chanX, etc).
I disabled plugins and antivirus, tried safe mode, but it's still the same.

see if there a sound test menu anywhere, plenty of games used to have one

files systems didnt exist with roms, and you also havr to convert it to a wave form because itll be midi-like

What is the best Jow Forums extension / plugin / 4chanX fork?

Nothing made by floens

ccd0
literally nothing wrong with clover

Hello (((floens)))

What's a free program that can somehow sync my flac library onto my last gen 160GB iPod classic? I don't wanna use Audacity to convert it all because that would take aeons with how much music I have. Or maybe is there some kind of custom firmware I can put onto the iPod that can let it play flac files?

Put rockbox on it then just drag and drop using the windows file explorer,it has native flac support

Legit free vps? Even a vps with 128mb of ram would suffice.

Attached: C97pPXm.png (1920x1080, 2.27M)

If you could stop time, would digital data devices, such as cameras and microphones still function?

Doesn't seem to support a 7th gen classic
Any alternatives?

Attached: Untitled.png (505x440, 18K)

You seem to have serious misconceptions about what "stopping time" would mean.

Try this
files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html

Are there any good extensions, for either Chrome or Firefox, that work like the old DownloadThemAll on old Firefox?

The classic scifi stopping while, where the only person that is free to act is the designated person that stopped time

Can websites acces your clipboards content such as passwords as they wish?
What about browser addons?

what are the prereq to pic related? calc I and proofs?

Attached: mathforcs.jpg (309x400, 9K)

Are there any guides to hacking or upgrading a Steam Link, specifically the wireless aspect?

I know the built-in wireless is shit and want to use a wireless adapter (USB or ethernet) to improve the connection.

Worst case would be taking it apart and modding in a better antenna.

Attached: Vault Boy_on_pc.jpg (427x366, 25K)

>classic scifi stopping
You're describing a trope. There is no "classic" one way for that to go down. If you pick one way in particular we can consider its specific implications.

If you create a torrent with a different piece size than the original you can have both torrents in your client

is that way >

Not familiar with it specifically, but based on the description
>This book covers elementary discrete mathematics for computer science and engineering. It emphasizes mathematical definitions and proofs as well as applicable methods.

I would say the only pre-requisite is an entry-level familiarity/maturity with mathematical thinking. I would say if you're able to take College-level and credited math classes you SHOULD be at that level, but of course the more familiar you are with logical reasoning and proof, the easier you'll find it and the more you'll get out of it.

I want to increase my privacy online. What are the key steps to take?

Attached: download.jpg (195x259, 9K)

how can I just watch all the youtube videos I haven't watched from the channels I'm subbed to? and why is youtube's UI such a flaming pile of fecal matter?

Attached: 58 - rIjOYsU.png (379x366, 46K)

Works fine for me using MPC and VLC. Try resetting your subtitles settings to default. Make sure the "override placement" setting isn't on.

Don't say your real name online except for like job purposes and maybe saying happy birthday to grandma. In the same way, whenever possible avoid cross-linking online aliases.

There, now your online presence is effectively anonymous. How hard was that?

Legit don't understand what you're suggesting.

What about vpns and other stuff like that?

You're being a insufferable cunt for no warranted reason.

No, that was the actual goddamn answer.

Stop being an iPhag and get a real player.

Are you trying to hide illegal shit from records your ISP might be obligated to hand over if a police warrant is issued? Are you organizing sustained plans of sedition? Are you a high-risk target whose location is known and who the mere knowledge that he/she spoke a certain word might give nefarious actors the tools to take down a certain empire? If not, VPN is probably overkill.

Up-to date browser
Browser settings to disable 3rd party cookies, flash , etc.
Modify host file to block trackers/malware/ads
Use a search engine that doesn't log your IP (Startpage)
Extensions to block ads and tracking
VPN

how do i connect a crt tv with only coax to my laptop?

I have hdmi and usb on said laptop only.

Where do you (ubiquitous you) recommend I host my websites. Currently I am at GoDaddy and it is OK. Linux servers, hosting my WordPress pages. But this cannot be how people do it for small companies? GoDaddy goes down a lot, and I lose emails as a result etc... how does someone have a respectable/professional host?

Attached: fat.jpg (486x423, 44K)

github has a free hosting service I use for internet radio, it's not terrible.

Im a relatively experienced mobile dev but i have hit a snag. Im working on a big project where i have full control of the structure and since its functionality is fairly simple when it comes to users and their actions, im considering uaing php scripts to do the data recieve/send crap....is this smart tho? Did this only once or twice so i dont really know the ups and downs.

HDMI to Coaxial Converter

It was FREE nigga
Anyways I'll just use f2k's automatic conversion and syncing, saves me the trouble of going through buggy bootloaders that can't even organize music by album

Thanks friend

thanks, user

Does the cable for this kind of USB port has a special name?

Attached: USB-port.jpg (330x500, 36K)

USB type b

A full sized B type, often referred to as a printer cable.