Reminder

C is a high IQ white man language and everything else is ooga booga retard nigger people languages.

Attached: c138c24fde2435c05fcac2dc3c626581.png (1200x1276, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

learnbchs.org/
lwn.net/Articles/734071/
pcc.ludd.ltu.se/
git.2f30.org/scc/
github.com/libfirm/cparser
github.com/bobrippling/ucc-c-compiler
nwcc.sourceforge.net/
github.com/larmel/lacc
sparse.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is that way.

This thread makes me feel smart because I write C code and I'm not even white!

I'm not white and my IQ is 108 yet I wrote a toy optimizing compiler in ANSI C!

Then I guess C++ is for the ultra smart?

You know, quite honestly, I fucking agree. It has only the things necessary to write programs, almost every other "benefit" that different programming languages offer is not convincing enough to make the language bigger. Libraries. What doesn't have to be in a language, it can be placed in a library instead.

No, C++ is the retarded "look at me, I can do it too!" cousin of C.

C is awesome.

True. If you master C, you master computers.

Is this the /C/irclejerk thread

Reminder that you can use C for webshit too:
learnbchs.org/

Attached: Lika.png (1080x1080, 1.03M)

What is computer?

C is like Standard Lisp.

People stopped taking these languages seriously in the mid 90s and the only advances are due to hobbyists and enthusiasts rather than development teams of serious companies.

You don't get any of the cool features or even usefulness of modern languages but you can boast about how smart you are because you can write 'hello world' in it.

Awesome.

>People stopped taking these languages seriously in the mid 90s
>C
C is everywhere, user. It's not going away anytime soon.

Bring some examples.

Linux

No? Unless you are talking about stuff like microelectronics that need very small languages that are less painful than assembly.

For the majority of uses, C++ replaced it in the 90s and a lot of more modern languages like Java and C# replaced C++ in the 00s. (Yes, there are still niche areas where C++ is very important, but for the majority of programming tasks it has been replaced)

Just remember, something being old doesn't make it cool. C was an improvement on languages before that which people probably thought was derivative and stupid.

It's a language Trump supporters don't speak.

Aww you're adorable. You think C has been phased out in any real way. Sorry, but you'd be severely mistaken.
>coreutils of just about any POSIX OS
C
>kernels
C
>nginx
C
>BIND DNS
C
>DHCPD
C
>Apache
C
>vsftpd
C
>probably all the other ftpds
C
>postfix
C
>sendmail
C
>dovecot
C

we can go on and on and on and on...

Yeah, the average programmer is going to be rebuilding Linux kernels. You don't need C to configure any of this stuff, that's why shell was invented.

The point of programming is to do difficult things in a simple, coherent, interpretable way. Doing shit in C in 2018 is making the problem harder than it should be in 99% of cases.

If you want to be a fanboy for something, join up with the C++ and Haskell people. At least their languages have modern features and has done something other than serve as a teaching aid in the past 20 years.

C has fucking retarded syntax and needs destructors and generics.

>a long-ass list of irrelevant fringe software no one's ever heard of
Okay.

How do should I start learning C?

>Yeah, the average programmer is going to be rebuilding Linux kernels
No, but they're certainly going to be using the kernel, or interacting with something that uses the kernel, or depending on what their job entails, contributing to the kernel, and it's written in pure C
>You don't need C to configure any of this stuff
Never did I imply that. I'm merely pointing out that the entire backbone of the internet is written in C, and that's not gonna change for a long ass time no matter how much you whine.
>Doing shit in C in 2018 is making the problem harder
le current year maymay
but in all seriousness, I'm not even really saying that C is the best choice. I'm just saying that the infrastructure of networking as we know it on this planet of ours is in C for a reason. That reason may be just that it started that way and people couldn't be bothered to change it, or it could be due to a deficiency in performance of other more 'modern' languages. Perhaps, as I suspect, it's a mix of the two, but regardless, as I said you're not gonna see C die for a long ass time.

Based

Time to go beck to Leddit

>chock full of GCC-specific extensions without which the language is completely useless
>pure C
Pick one.

Most modern networking is done in C++ or Go now. Especially anything related to cloud or containers

>he doesn’t use clang/llvm

Hey do you use email?
>Yes, user-kun!
That's postfix/sendmail for the sending and receiving of mail, and dovecot for the providing of IMAP and POP3 for your email client.

Do you use the web
>Of course, user-kun! we're on it right now, you baka!
That's apache or nginx.

Do you type in ip addresses of the sites you want? or are there convenient names?
>Convenient names!
That's DNS, commonly provided by BIND

Do you have your IP manually assigned on your PC, or did you have automatically configured?
If you said automatically, then congratulations! You're using DHCP, commonly provided by DHCPD.

C motherfucker.

fuck semicolons.
fuck braces
fuck null terminators.

You can't compile the kernel of GNU/Linux without GCC.

>low-level protocols are implemented in a low-level language
You don't say!

>le current year maymay
Unlike the political or social progress application, in technology this actually means a lot.

Newer programming languages are designed to add features, simplify syntax or fix problems with older languages. That is why languages have progressively got simpler and more powerful rather than the other way which is what you are doing going back to C.

>or it could be due to a deficiency in performance of other more 'modern' languages
It's legacy software that no one sees a point upgrading at this time.

>I said you're not gonna see C die for a long ass time.
Programming languages never die. There are still COBOL and perl stuff in production today, people still use them because they work and they can't see a point changing. However, no one is developing anything new in these languages so they can be considered legacy and dead for new development.

I'm not 'whining' about C. I don't care that it exists, I'm just tired people looking for hipster points by championing dead languages that they are neither masters of or understand at all beyond the basic syntax.

i write all of my code in c
i even make my websites in c

lwn.net/Articles/734071/
One day user-kun

Show me what your “website in C” looks like

don't fall for Jow Forums shilling. Trying to use C to write anything other than very very low level shit is like trying to make a car out of steel bars and a hammer when all your competitors already have all the parts made

Attached: 1527689442657.jpg (960x1440, 411K)

Please show me your website. I could use more machines for my botnet.

i'm a dnsmasq fan myself

Attached: 54.jpg (769x665, 104K)

This seems incredibly inefficient and painful

also C! ^_^

Attached: nekoo.jpg (720x960, 88K)

its basically just a shitty homemade http server, but instead of it serving html or php files off of my hard drive the web pages are actually generated by the program using text and layout stuff i have defined within the program
so a single executable file is my entire website
and no im not linking it im like 100% certain its completely insecure lol

>a bunch of legacy software written in the 90s was written using a legacy language
Wow what a surprise. Meanwhile actually innovative software like Docker and Kubernetes are written in Go. Web browsers, which are way more complex than a kernel, are written in C++. Web frameworks that do something other than serving static content are written in Java. Google is writing a new OS in C++. C is pretty much dead unless you're a boomer stuck working on legacy projects.

Tell that to your cars ABS brakes and all of its other sensors faggot.

>Web browsers, which are way more complex than a kernel, are written in C++
I think you mean web browser api's

Attached: glaugh.jpg (500x370, 59K)

>Web browsers, which are way more complex than a kernel
pure sadness

Legacy software on legacy hardware.
Car manufacturers are simply too cheap to spend a extra 10 cents to use a microprocessor with a LLVM backend, that doesn't mean C is not a dead language. Enjoy your 60k a year job doing mindless embedded programming.

C++ > C you dumb boomer cunts

Imagine being this stupid

What the fuck does boomer even mean anymore? Are people just saying it for anything now?

>he thinks writing a kernel is complicated
Firefox lines of code: 50 million
Chromium lines of code: 25 million
Linux lines of code: 20 million

Millions of lines are written everyday. You're also making an assumption that I'm an embedded systems developer. Every language has its place and uses. Arguing about which is superior over another or dead is just time wasted. It won't change anything.

It's the new soi

>he thinks LOC is a good measure of complexity

It's just calling someone an old fool.

LOC doesn't mean anything. It could be panjeet spaghetti code for all you know.

C truely is the patrician white mans choice of language.

Created specifically for Unics(prior to Unix) and now inherited into the Linux philosophy.
Minimal, precise, historic.

You're right. It's not really fair to compare them. The Linux kernel is mostly bloated with drivers for a bunch of devices because of it's poor monolithic architecture. That in addition to the fact that C is much more verbose than C++ and it's a struggle to get even simple things done. We made a basic kernel from scratch in one semester for my OS class. Making a standards compliant web browser from scratch would take at least 2 years for a dedicated team.

>bloated because of its monolithic architecture
well at least we can agree on that

embedded systems use C almost exclusively

mfw

yeah basically

C++ has its merits but there's nothing C++ does that either
>A) a JVM language can't do easier
or
>B) C can't do faster and with less unnecessary syntax

Attached: C50AACE5B4_preview.png (640x640, 436K)

shame GCC has absolutely retarded errors

clang is way better about that

What did you expect from a legacy program written in the 80s?

Black user here. I give OP my full support.
Same. Then again I do have a graduate degree in Comp Sci.
Nope. You're brainlets.

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU. FUCKING RACIST WHITE MALE BIGOT. CAN'T WAIT FOR WHITE """PEOPLE""" TO BE BRED OUT OF EXISTENCE BY STRONG PEOPLE OF COLOR. DIVERSITY IS OUR GREATEST STRENGTH.

You are white inside my white nigger, respect.

fuck off to /pol. c is a wonderful language but i doubt you are able to express anything relevant in it. you maybe know the syntax but if you need to insult other people to feel better your intellect must be on a sub kindergarden level. you hate yourself. you compensate your lack of self confidence through aggressive behaviour. that won't neither work for you nor for the society you're living in. i suggest you start loving and respecting yourself more and you'll see the bad feelings will be less from day to day.

C is low IQ.

why computers like tears in rain lost in time time to die?

Attached: IMG_20180621_120254.jpg (4128x3096, 3.86M)

>needing millions of lines to.accomplish what can be done with two

Yes. Millions written by one guy probably. Likely you

>he thinks the BBC writing in pidgin English for blacks is equivalent to even basic English literature

Stay mad. Ideologue.

C is holding CPU performance back with its forced sequential single thread mode of computing. We could get a lot more out of present day CPU technology, if it didn't need to play nice with software written in C.

um user, you can make another thread you know

It's a pretty expensive operation. Modern CPUs try to squeeze out some extra performance with speculative execution. In speculative execution the CPU is a marathon runner and C code is the retard in a trolley that the CPU has to push around to get anywhere, slowing everything down. The CPU wants to work in parallel as much as it can, whereas C has a single track mind by design.

And when you increase threads and cores, you just have multiple marathon runners pushing their own personal retard cart around. In a better model the CPU and code would both be running side-by-side.

CPUs (specific cores) are single threaded and run in isolation, and C tries to reflect how the underlying hardware likes to run.

TempleOS has 87k lines of code and is better then SJWfox

>B) C can't do faster and with less unnecessary syntax
compile time evaluation with constexpr :)

C is better than C++ but most of you niggers compile your C with the bloated glibc, and compile it with gcc, which at this point is done in C++
C is only good with musl; in terms of compilers, tcc looks promising but I'm not sure when it can fully compete with gcc

OP is right. Fuck everything else.

Attached: 1494937336828.jpg (680x697, 247K)

>ooga booga retard nigger people languages
Lol
But does that include LISP?

>in terms of compilers, tcc looks promising
There's a whole load of meme compilers

PCC pcc.ludd.ltu.se/
scc git.2f30.org/scc/
cparser github.com/libfirm/cparser
ucc github.com/bobrippling/ucc-c-compiler
nwcc nwcc.sourceforge.net/
lacc github.com/larmel/lacc
sparse sparse.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

No, the CPUs try to accommodate C because all of the software is written in it. Vendors won't make CPUs that have no software written for them

You can use tcc for development, it compiles faster than gcc and then make release binary with gcc.
Only reason I'm not using tcc is that it doesn't support gcc vector extension, clang supports it though.