Are any of you Electrical Engineers, if so, how hard was the schooling to get your degree at the time...

Are any of you Electrical Engineers, if so, how hard was the schooling to get your degree at the time? What are you currently doing in the field, professionally?

Attached: Double_King.png (703x491, 263K)

it was harder than me in your mom

fantastic

Ah, so not very.

bump

Not an EE by degree but the work I do is often viewed as EE in nature (controls). I wouldn't say that schooling was hard but you need to be dedicated and disciplined (everyone who dropped out that I knew wasn't). Being not retarded also helps. As long as you can be focused and remember why you're at school, you should be fine.

As of now, I work as a GNC engineer working on the actuators present on military equipment. One of the products we make which I think you would recognize rhymes with lamahawk (I'm not an English major so fuck off).

Would you say that the math aspect was the most difficult? I've already graduated from uni once with a 4 year degree in CIS, so dedication to school work is not an issue for me.

For controls ya. Half the math is the fuck you kind. However, rest of EE I dont think so. As long as you can do Boolean logic you're probably fine (computers do all the heavy lifting as long as you know the concepts.

Although I remember my EE buddies bitching about emag......you know now that I think about it ya the math is tough.....

So a thought.....the math you will probably need to understand is calculus (no shit), linear algebra, Boolean algebra, vector algebra, and differential equations. Being good with PDEs, BVPs, and a matrix math in general will get you far.

That said, if you're shit at math, you can probably still get by. Half the ee I know are actually computer engineers (CPE). That's more programming at the really low level (like with FPGAs). You'll need to have a rudementry grasp of the math above but don't have to be good at it per say.....

I barely got through, but I was a pretty shitty student and I was in a pretty good EE program. I rode the bottom of the curve all through school.

The biggest things I'd change in hind sight was being a computer engineer instead of EE. The way things worked out I ended up double majoring in EE and CS which basically is a too much work computer engineering degree.

Now I'm I do embedded OS programming which is really interesting.

Also if you at least can't hack math don't be an EE. Its what I struggled with the most. EE is one field where they use a ton of math. For example, in the program I was in you had to take two semiconductor courses (which honestly was of zero practical value). Now I'm sure some person with a big ego will call be a brainlet, but I personally found actually solving the Schrodinger really hard. I never understood what I was doing because I never solidly grasped the math behind it.

Attached: B0yQwmkKGrHqNiUErIz9nTdBMbzlPMmbw_3.jpg (600x800, 48K)

It wasn't hard at all, but I understand that some people might have trouble with math. I was always more familiar with software, so I studied EE mainly to round out my understanding of computer systems. After graduation I joined a hardware startup. I've worked with software exclusively, both embedded and otherwise. C, LabVIEW and Python. I could have worked on electronics design as well, but felt like I could contribute more doing software.

It's supposed to be easier if you've already worked as an electrician before.

It's easy if you just do your work and study.

Most math involved with EE is all solved pretty much. You just punch numbers in.

Got it. I wouldn't say I'm bad at math at all. I actually enjoy it and always did pretty well in it in school. Generically speaking, green energy is the sector that I want to go into professionally. Be it solar, wind, or even electric cars, that's what I find interesting.

Have you found that your GPA from your college EE program/degree (or overall) mattered when applying to jobs?

I thought about it, but looking at my uncle and talking to a few others, I passed.

He's an EE and it seems like theyre the alpha of the betas. Kinda like geeky, autistic salesmen who sit around watching PowerPoints all day and jacking off the CEO.

Or maybe I'm just bitter and was too lazy to apply myself.

I got my Diploma in EE about 5 years ago at one of the better universities for it in Germany, this was pretty much right before they switched to the Bachelors/Masters system and as far as worth is concerned would be somewhere inbetween the two.
Most of it wasn't particularly challenging as long as you stuck to it and didn't get lazy. Granted only around 15 of us actually graduated when we had about 300-400 at the start of the first semester but I don't think that'd be too different in any other field, lots of people just sign up and then don't really give a fuck or even try to do the work.

Only did EE instead of CS because one of my friends went to the same uni and ended up regretting it to be perfectly honest. After I finished my degree I started working as software engineer anyways so it was kind of a waste, currently doing backend shit for one of the larger logistic concerns in Germany.

Thankfully, I haven't heard anyone who I know that is currently an engineer say "It's so hard that it can't be done". One of my good friends is essentially echoing the sentiment that most people in here are: "Do your work, study hard, don't slack".

OP, think incredibly hard about it you need to go (back?) to college. That shit is expensive if you're in the states, and its time you could instead be spending working somewhere else. That's 4-5 years of actual experience and cash that you'd be passing up.

Honestly college is not worth shit for most people. I found my passion through it, but the curriculum was largely a waste of time.

t. CS BS

Uncle Tom's llamahawk?

Third and fourth order calculus done by hand is a mind duck if you have not used it in a while.
Not all EE course will do calculus control theory, but any course that is worth doing will.

I have a question for EE's too
Do you love your job, and if so, how long have you been an ee?
I feel like i would love the type of work an ee does, but if i had to do it 9 to 5 at some point i'd get tired of it

You better not work for schenker, their logistics are fucking horrendous.