/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
1) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine (like VirtualBox).
2) Use a live image and to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything.
3) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
4) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

Resources: some useful commands:

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What is Linux?
Linux is a free operating system (i. e., like Windows or macOS) for personal computers created by Linus Torvalds in 1991. It can fulfill all your day-to-day personal computing needs, from word editing to web browsing!

>Do I really have to use the text interface (command line) to use Linux?
Not really, you can accomplish pretty much everything through the graphical interface. You won't be really learning about the operating system unless you do though.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

/t/'s Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: fglt.jpg (1344x742, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2009/07/linus-torvalds-microsoft-hatred-is-a-disease/
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#assign_workspace
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So I have an asus x555l and I wanna install a linux distro, I have never used a linux distro but ive lately got an itch to learn to use one I just wanna know which I should start out with.
Specs are

Intel Core i3 (5th Gen) 5020U / 2.2 GHz dual core 3mb cache

4 gb ram

Memory speed 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM

Processor intel HD Graphics 5500

1tb hdd

Currently running windows 10

I mainly just browse YouTube, Jow Forums, browse the internet play cataclysm dda, torrent/download movies/shows, and want to learn to code a little and might buy a raspberry in the near future. So what distro do you guys reccomend? ive been thinking of installing lubunto or xubuntu but I don't know if there up to the task.

Is there any good (hopefully powerful) AMD laptop coming up? Does anybody have experience with current AMD laptops in Linux?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Unless you know what Wifi hardware you have and can download the firmware for it beforehand if need be, you're probably better off with a *buntu. You don't need to worry about which GPU drivers to use since you're using the Intel GPU. Take a look at Gnome, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXDE, KDE desktop environments to see what looks the least shitty to you.

Attached: devil.gif (400x344, 35K)

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little proprietry bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the FSF, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Apple patents, and I have over 300 confirmed bug fixes. I am trained in Free Software Evangelizing and I'm the top code contributer for the entire GNU HURD. You are nothing to me but just another compile time error. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am building a GUI using GTK+ and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can decompile you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my Model M. Not only am I extensively trained in EMACS, but I have access to the entire arsenal of LISP functions and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit Freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking debugged, kiddo.

>FLT
OP's up to his old tricks again. Do not be deceived.
>66448896
>66448896

When will Linus fix the Linux filepicker?

Attached: 1529184255693.jpg (750x750, 78K)

That general is for discussing the GNU userspace. We are talking about The Linux Kernel in this thread.

What even is the kernel in linux?

Is "Linux from Scratch" and especially "Hardened Linux from Scratch" worth to read?

I run manjaro, and I have a problem where the screen freezes and the splash screen after i enter my password and login.

If i use "acpi=off", it doesn't do this, but my laptop's keyboard & trackpad don't work, and I have to use a usb keyboard.

How do I fix this?

I get how to base64 decode a single piece of base64, but is there an "official" way to decode multiple strings at once?

Make a script, user.

GTK3 is shit. Switch to KDE.

I'm getting a total freeze when I leave my pc idle for a long time, more than 3 hours, power reset seems to be the only solution.
What is the best way to diagnose it?
I'm runing arch w/ systemd, kde plasma, no swap.
The only thing related to it that I remember is that my monitor would not power off after locking (configured at plasma to be 3 min), so I restarted and set dpms:
xset dpms 300 0 0

How to install plasma 5.13 on kubuntu? The backport ppa didn't work, pls no bully.

I want to keep some files in big encrypted containers in cloud storage. What are my options now that TrueCrypt is dead?

Attached: 1525286777151.jpg (806x938, 337K)

I downloaded a Windows game and it came as an iso. I figured I'd have to mount it but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that.
I tried using the command
mount -o loop disk1.iso /mnt/disk
but got "mount: /mnt/disk: mount failed: Operation not permitted."

Tried running the command with sudo?

Looks like a permission problem.

Currently using xubuntu here, what are some nice easy on the eye fonts you anons would recommend me?
Not really looking for anything fancy or to rice my distro just something a bit better than the default if possible.

Attached: wpRf09c.jpg (640x622, 103K)

>switches to kde
>finds out no foss modern browsers use kde file picker anyways
great misleading suggestion

>>finds out no foss modern browsers use kde file picker anyways
Chromium uses KDialog out of the box on my system (Debian 9.4).

>installs manjaro
>their settings manager breaks within 2 updates
jesus christ. is it really time to install funtoo/crux/slackware?

It's time to install Ubuntu.

I forgot which distribution it was but it had its own specially compiled version of Firefox in its repositories that use KDialog.

Also, Vivaldi also uses KDialog

ubuntu has been the buggiest pile of trash i've ever dealt with

Then install Debian Stable.

Bad thread.

Bad post.

Use Infinality, user.

>GNUfags have to shitpost every time it's called /flt/ rather than /fglt/ even though linux works without any GNU software installed

Attached: 1518295766642.png (1024x1920, 275K)

that's the point user, to make GNU+Fags throw a fit
it never fails because nu/g/ is stupidly easy to troll

who isn't using GNU and/or what distribution doesn't use GNU?

you probably can't go full non-gnu for a general-purpose distro, simply because people love their bash scripts and glibc-dependent software, but Alpine gets pretty close

Wrong.
None. GCC is needed to compile the kernel.

G-guys

what happen

I put W10 on sdb, then Ubuntu on sda and installed grub to sda (it didn't detect windows) and now grub doesn't show windows. Did I fuck up or is this fixable? Also the Ubuntu install is in legacy mode while win is uefi, if that matters. Don't really know how that happened.

Thanks anonny

did you try osprober or something

>None. GCC is needed to compile the kernel.
Not anymore. Clang is capable of doing it now.

Linux is a kernel.

Brainlet here. Just installed Ubuntu on an old laptop for the first time. I installed Ubuntu MATE using the download from their website but I seem to have kept the standard Ubuntu desktop environment.

I have tried multiple websites methods to change to MATE and nothing seems to work. So far it's changed the initial launch splash icon to the MATE one and also installed things like MATE terminal but the desktop refuses to change.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

also*

Give credit where credit is due.

I'm using Xubuntu and I'm theming it for a Win 3.x/9x look because of muh nostalgia. I don't get too crazy with the rice, but I want to change the bash to look appropriate. Suggestions on font and color scheme?

I just installed Arch Linux for the first time and I was hoping to get a recommendation for a display manager and desktop environment.

I was also curious about how window managers work. If you default to a terminal/command line, do the windows overlay on top of your screen? Or do WMs require a DE in order to work properly?

My previous distro was Ubuntu, so I'm experiencing all of this for the first time.

Why loonix have such shitty logo?

Want to become a Terminal ninja.
What do Jow Forumsentoomen?

>also, what terminal emulator is recommended?

Why is your dick so small?
>inb4 faggot

>LightDM, SDDM, to name a few

I personally use a TWM (Tiling Window Manager) like i3 and such.

Honestly, the choice is all yours.
Try what you like and stick to it.

I go to the Debian webpage to snag an .iso and set sail for autism and there's rules about rules about rules about what to pick and how to just install it.

>You can install from a CDROM/DVD or USB stick. (No link provided, okay)
>You probably have an i386 CPU, so use that installer. (No link provided, fine, I'll find it myself somewhere here)
>The CDROM/DVD iso is the same as the USB iso. (Okay..shoulda said that earlier)
>You need a CD burning software or something to copy the .iso onto the USB drive. (I've never needed this for any .iso ever. Do linux users require different software for every single task or something?)

When does it stop? Will there be a seperate install for cat vs dog owners? It looks like thirty different people worked on this without meshing up their respective contributions properly and said "fuck it, they'll figure it out. It's free, they can't complain." Is this a forshadowing of things to come?

Attached: 1465583487112.jpg (429x626, 87K)

What happened here?

>installed archlinux
>painful experience getting things up and running, especially wifi
>messed around with netctl
>worked great for 2-3 weeks
>decide to undo mess and get wifi running with network manager instead so I don't have to remember shitty hacks
>works fine for 2-3 weeks
>change DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 by messing with netctl, networkmanager files
>works fine
>decide to undo hacks and use GUI approach
>wifi works fine for a week
>suddenly internet stops working, connects to wireless network fine
>can't open any website or ping
>can access net on my windows and ubuntu OS partitions
>decide to fuck around with resolv.conf by looking up online
>do three or four more such hacks
>internet connects for current session and I use it
>stops again on reboot
>login to arch linux a couple of times, same results
>login after a week and internet works again, been working fine last 2-3 weeks.

I want to delete my Ubuntu partition, but I don't want to fuck up my network connection on arch linux. How can i make sure i don't face this no internet issue again?

Gnome 3 is good mane. I don't see the hatred.
I moved to arch from Ubuntu too. I suggest subscribing to r/archlinux and installing yaourt and use this alias

alias yolo='yaourt -Syyuua --noconfirm'

If I use Linux Tails, will I avoid the US Goverment spying on me?

Attached: snowden_842596.jpg (397x395, 25K)

>don't do this

When installing software from the AUR or any doubtful source, ALWAYS check the install file.
Don't want to have nasty things happening to your system.

Attached: dafuq.gif (250x187, 2.03M)

This is true. But I barely use aur packages, I just have 8 of them. If I need something for immediate work, I usually only install the package temporarily and uninstall it. E.g. I am now going to get rid of woeusb.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-22 20-08-23.png (1366x768, 213K)

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.
>Linus

Is Linus /ourguy/?

Attached: 1519477036704.jpg (800x789, 95K)

Doesn't sound very productive to do that.
When you install a package it also installs other dependencies and all.

Having to install/uninstall a program just to use it once/twice and then delete it sounds like a pain in the ass.
>inb4 orphan files

If you are only referring to the kernel, then yes, it is "just Linux".

i3 user here.

How can I prevent programs from running on different workspaces?
Like: if I want Chromium to always lunch on a specific workspace [3] or w/e.

Having an issue with speeds on a laptop. It's running the latest Mint with an RTL8188EE, and what'll happen is when the computer boots up, it gets about 30mbps, but after about five minutes it's down to about 2. I tried installing this github driver that everyone raves about for it, but no dice. Kernal is up to date, device in the same room gets 60mbps down. Kinda lost.

Is that a wifi issue?

Yeah sorry my bad

He's spouting bullshit. Read the book 'Just for fun', where he talks about visiting an RMS speech, loved what RMS said, and went full Free Software by changing the old, communist (no selling allowed) Linux licence to GPL.
>what Linux has always been about

The reason he said that was because Microsoft gifted some garbage drivers to Linux and since Microsoft pays Linus work, he obviously wouldn't want to talk shit about them.

Look how much of a cuckold he is today:
>I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out. There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.

Noteworthy:
>I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
Coming from the poster guy of a community which excludes and censors any mention of GNU and spreads hate against them by calling them 'extremists'.

Those 'extremists' made free software even a thing. Those people didn't took some proprietary shit, they sat down and wrote a operating system and everything you need for it. 10 years long of programming, sweat, collecting money, advocating for freedom and building a community.

And the these open source fags come along, telling us that we're 'extremists', that Linux and open source was always about cuckolding and basically stallman was wrong.

/ourguy/? Think for yourself.

Quotes from: arstechnica.com/information-technology/2009/07/linus-torvalds-microsoft-hatred-is-a-disease/

Don't think it may be a driver issue, since you have the latest version of Mint.
It could be however something on your end perhaps? A router issue or a DHCP address problem?

I think that when Torvalds was younger he ate all the shit Stallman fed to him.

Now that he's older he's seeing how the man really is and decided to break apart from him.

>not saying Stallman is bad or anything, just that he DOES come across as some kind of spiritual guru of some sort, which I find very unappealing to be honest.

I don't think so, every other device gets acceptable 2.4g speeds, even in the exact same area. And when I had windows on this laptop a week ago, I was getting 30 all day. Nothing changed until the switch to mint

I'm not sure the best way to prevent a window from showing up on specific workspaces. But you can assign windows to only be on one workspace.
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#assign_workspace
Or you can just hop to the workspace you want before you open the window.

What is your experience or thoughts on the LUKS In-Place Conversion Tool?j

Attached: 42bc3zn9nj511.jpg (750x824, 70K)

I haven't looked into it, but I'd reinstall if I wanted to convert my root filesystem to an encrypted one.

Attached: this looks like a good idea.jpg (600x554, 89K)

Hello, can you help me with this, please?

I am trying to change some config on my urxvt and it just doesn't work.

I tried editing .Xdefaults and then .Xresources and mergint it.
I tried deleting one of the two.
Nothing seems to work.
Any tips?

Attached: 2018-06-21-164321_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 1.02M)

>accept my authority
>you don't want to be a nag, do you?

fucking savage

Are you using the right command? it's "xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources"
What are you trying to change

Thanks, guys! I'm going with SDDM and GNOME 3 for now.
I'm trying to install i3 as a window manager, but I'm confused as to how to set up my xinitrc file to have it launch on boot. Am I doing it right, or do I need to do something smarter?

only if you do it right

Any ideas with this?

I went with Mate as a de am I a retard

No. Use whatever you like. Except gnome, gnome is shithouse.

If you have a display manager, just select i3 from there. If you don't, add exec i3 to the bottom of .xinitrc and run startx.

Is pclinuxos decent ? Is it supported

Yes, I tried with that and
xrdb .Xresources
and with both but it doesn't seem to work.
But, I just realized i3 -sensibleterminal is starting another terminal instead of urxvt.
The one in the left is the terminal opened using Super+Return and the one in the right is urxvt opened using Super+D and typing urxvt.

Looks like the one in the right is actually accepting the changes made to .Xresources, for example, I enabled the scrollbar. But the one on the left looks better, except for the shitty font. I want to use the one on the left.

Attached: 2018-06-22-170530_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 1.19M)

not him, why is gnome a shithouse?

Its bloated as fuck for what it is, its annoying to navigate, it looks like a tablet DE, and you shouldn't need plugins for basic functionality.

Ah, thanks. Again, I'm new to all this customization.
Though now when I try to start up i3 through SDDM it errors out with Error: status_command process exited unexpectedly (exit 1).

For now I'm trying Awesome.
But now I think I have a problem in which I can't pull up any terminals. This also happens in GNOME.

Do I have to install a separate terminal emulator? I thought GNOME had one pre-installed or something.

do you have i3status/i3blocks installed?
check the bar part of your config file, and see where the status line is pointing

You can use any terminal you like, but its likely the config files of any wm wont point to that terminal by default.

>You can use any terminal you like, but its likely the config files of any wm wont point to that terminal by default.

That makes sense, but again my problem seems to be that it won't pull up any terminal, even in GNOME. I can access TTY just fine; it's an actual terminal emulator that I have problems with.

I installed arch linux finally with all my settings configured with kde/plasma. when I turn on my pc I get the lightdm greeter at boot instead of the plasma login screen when I lock my pc.
how do I get the plasma login screen instead of that

I was backing up files to a hard drive I had already installed a distro on and I had to copy the files as superuser but I didn't realize the files I would be writing were larger than the partition... I didn't see any message about being out of space, but I know for a fact it would have been over by like 20 gigs
Should I just erase everytihng I copied and start over or where did the rest write to, or what wasn't written?

It might depend on your distro, if you open your desktop in a gui file explorer there should be a little arrow or something to the left of the folders while you're navigating, click that until it shows you the hard drive root... where your root folder is may depend on where you installed and partitions. I can't really be more specific because it can depend on distro and I'm not sure about doing it in terminal.

I tried the pacman -Rns lightdm-greeter it doesn't go to plasma then just gives me the black screen terminal access for arch

well how are you trying to pull it up. is the menu/keybind actually set to pull up gnome-terminal? have you tried using a program launcher, like the awesome run function or rofi?

Install the plasma display manager and check to see if the systemd service is running/enabled

I'm just trying to pull it up through the standard GNOME applications menu.
I'll look into the other options tomorrow; I'm hitting the sack for the night. If all else fails, I'll see if gnome-terminal is even installed and, if it is and reinstalling still doesn't work, I'll just use some other terminal instead.

in that case check the .desktop file for gnome terminal

>installed sddm works like a charm thanks
can I somehow change the setting of plasma to load at boot instead of getting a splash screen when I login at the DM