Gentoo or Debian? And why??

Gentoo or Debian? And why??

Attached: 1497235609880.jpg (299x300, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Debian: If you want a stable system that just werks.
Gentoo: If you want a system that can be versatile and that you can customize to your own needs.

Portage makes me hard as a fucking rock.

Buy the plot of land, lay the pipes and electrical, pour the foundation, nail the frame together, nail the OSB, nail the windows, nail the drywall, lay the bricks, put in carpet, toilets, recessed lighting, cabinets, cut out the counter top, hang the doors, nail the trim, install the garage door, shingle the roof, add the gutters, put in the landscaping, or buy a pre-built home. Which should I do, Jow Forums?

apt-get is garbage
"releases" makes no sense in practice
there is nothing more to tell about debian
it's retarded "just werking" binary distro

Gentoo confirm'd distro for real men.

Attached: 1510361881876.png (1280x720, 872K)

I really like the idea of running Gentoo. I run Debian now, stable is too slow, testing is too fast, backports aren't always there. A distro that's rolling but not bleeding-edge where I have more control over individual package versions would be great. But I have a sinking feeling that I'd wind up making an awful lot of work for myself and get annoyed with it very quickly. I like how Debian relieves me of the need to understand so much of the low-level infrastructure. I don't have to pick a cron daemon and install it and set it up, plumbing like that is already taken care of.

I don't know what I'm going to do, stay on Debian or install Gentoo, but whichever choice I make I'm sure I'll regret it.

>stable is too slow, testing is too fast
>need to understand so much of the low-level infrastructure
> whichever choice I make I'm sure I'll regret it
you must be 15

It is an awful lot of work and it can get annoying very quickly, but any well-functioning Gentoo system comes with a sense of pride and bonding to your person that you just don't get with other distros.

1. it's just apt. (-get isn't in use for 2 releases)
2. apt is just a frontend to dpkg like aptitude

>binary package manager
omfg

Do you run it? What's your experience been like? Did you have any problems? Were there any "Crap, I didn't even know I needed and XYZ" moments? How far is it from the end of the installation guide to a functioning install of your preferred DE?

just use windows you stupid nerds, maybe you'll actually be productive in your life instead of wasting hours ricing your system

Maybe you should go be productive instead of playing childish games, wangtard.

Well I've done a fresh install of it I think 4 times? I'm not really an expert with it, and there was a lot I didn't understand at first, like everything involving Portage, and useflags, like which ones I needed, and how to configure the kernel and make.conf and all that jazz. Took me about a full day to get my current setup with i3 up and running. I'd been distro-hopping for a couple years before I installed it, now I can't really see myself using anything else.

debian
>reasonable alternative to windows, easy to setup, somewhat customizable but very conventient
gentoo
>I WASTED A WHOLE WEEK FOR JUST A FUCKING TERMINAL

it took u a week?
what are you fuckin gay?

Attached: 1515261398606.png (450x524, 161K)

Maybe an afternoon unless your computer is 20 years old. The real question is, do you want to have to recompile shit every time there is an update? There is also the rare, but not unheard of circular dependency issues. Everyone who loves Linux should take Gentoo for a spin at least once in their life though. I think it's definitely worth the experience.

both desu

What would Richard Stallman do?

gentoo if you have no life
debian if you have work to do

Well he doesn't like Debian, because even though the default install and repos are all free, they have official contrib and non-free repos, and he objects to the project even having those at all. He also doesn't like Gentoo, I forget but I think its for the same kind of reason, something not free enough being distributed under the distributions aegis, even if users have to choose to get it.

But which distro does he recommend then?

First Gentoo installation for me was about a month ago and I ran into the circular dependency shit. I'm almost positive that did that shit on purpose just to make you learn stuff when using Steam I think it was. Never bothered to figure out the issue and reverted to a previous snapshot.

Haven't bothered with Gentoo sense, perhaps I'll give it a go in soon as I was a noob, just letting the automatic use flag thing figure shit out for me which I'm sure is terrible.

Use unstable, not testing, you fucking retard. Literally anything from debian stable can be used from unstable, but not from testing. Testing is actually more unstable and more prone to crashing than unstable.
If you'd actually read the description of unstable and testing you wouldn't be complaining in the first place, but with you being a retard and all I can understand it's rather difficult.

>"Testing moves too fast"
>"Use unstable then, retard!"

You can literally use packages from stable if you want a certain version. With testing you cannot, in most cases, because of dependency hell, and even the official docs strongly encourage you not to. However, for unstable, you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Any of FSF distro.
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html

>dependency hell
Why doesn't Linux have virtual environments, or just run subsystems in docker containers?

Well you only have this problem if you ask for it, like that user is.
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian