Anyone else paranoid about lithium batteries?

With all the gadgets we own, if one battery malfunctions, it can end up burning your house and everything you own

whats your battery management plan?
that ONE cheapo tablet you got from china could be the end of everything

I'm thinking about keeping everything with a lithium battery in a metal box when I'm not looking at it

can they ever ignite if they're stored in a vacuum?

Attached: lithium.jpg (1000x544, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pizFsY0yjss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

damn and I thought I was really paranoid.
You might need to see someone about that senpai

just don't leave that shit plugged in and charging while you're not watching it you'll be fine

So can the gasoline and numerous aerosols I keep in the garage. Unless you bend or puncture your lithium batteries, it probably wont ignite on its own.

batteries don't really explode at random very frequently, they usually show signs of damage beforehand, heating, expanding, etc.
Just don't charge devices that have screens popping off because their battery turned into a balloon.

I leave my unprotected 18650s charging overnight next to my bed, close to my phone, which would probably be charging too.
Also, lithium fires are self sustaining and don't need oxygen to burn.

>all it takes is a single electrical short
>implying rats aren't gnawing at your house wiring right now

Attached: udell-fire-4.jpg (1200x675, 95K)

but this is legitimate paranoia
what if this happens when you're not at home one day? either cause it was overcharged or the weather was too hot, or the chemistry fails for unknown reasons
youtube.com/watch?v=pizFsY0yjss

Just build your house out of concrete and steel, problem solved.

Attached: 1521574688914.jpg (1212x909, 218K)

Yes it's legitimately paranoia. Again, seek help.

nicad masterrace

sometimes phones have self combusted burning their owners, probably the battery had been knocked around a bit when the phone gets dropped, or the batteries are from a defective batch
sometimes when you hear about a warehouse fire on the news, I wonder if someone left their charger plugged in overnight or some cheapo chinese electronic from ebay went kaput

thats why I'm considering keeping all battery objects together so I can check on them more easily

>lithium fires are self sustaining and don't need oxygen to burn.
that is what I was curious about, cheers
it won't be able to burn through a stainless steel box though, but it may burn all the other valuable electronics I store in there... hrmmm what to do

it's not paranoia when there are actual risks/dangers/threats

lithium batteries don't just ignite out of nowhere. only way for that to happen is if they get punctured like that note 7 incident.

shhh... It's all in your head, user.

Attached: head.jpg (640x420, 61K)

it's only actual danger if you are retarded at storing batteries.

/Thread.

Reminder that if you threw out a lithium battery in the trash, some poor animal found it at the dump and chewed on it and suffered acidic burns.

Good. That animal had no right to go snooping in my trash.

With all the streets we have, you can get killed or become disabled, and that has a higher chance of happening.

With all the complexities in your biology and all the microorganisms interested in eating your body's substance, you can even just start to die at any moment.

Don't be retarded about either storing OR charging your lithium batteries, and you'll probably be fine in that regard. You also can be not retarded about streets.
The last thing... well, you'll die from it sooner or later. Maybe you're already by the time you read this.

It could have been a poor hungry dog just looking for something to nibble on, leaky lithium batteries smell like skittles.

all those things are avoidable
lithium batteries requires me to trust some random chink halfway across the planet that there's no problems with it

But now there is one less stray dog in the streets. If it was so hungry, he should have found someone to take care of him or do what we do if we don't want to starve: get a job.

is this what you tell yourself to be blissfully ignorant?

"I have a 1 in 10000 chance of getting hit by lightning, so playing in thunderstorms is ok"

You do realize civilised countries force the industry to take care of the produced trash?

LITHIUM BATTERIES HAVE MULTIPLE FAIL SAFES IN ORDER TO AVOID CATASTROPHIC FAILURE THE LIKES OF WHICH YOU BELIEVE TO BE COMMON

YES, THEY CAN INDEED EXPLODE IN RARE CASES, JUST LIKE A MOPED CAN INDEED EXPLODE UNDER THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES, YET YOU DO NOT FEAR THE MOPED

CAPS

really? they have these fail safes if they're made in china? which most lithium batteries come from

thats the whole point of the thread numbnuts, to think of ways to mitigate a worst case scenario, and so far I haven't heard a single useful suggestion, maybe you faggots aren't really that smart

you're admitting that you know fuck-all about them
fear of the unknown and all that
nobody is taking your paranoia seriously

do you know anybody personally who has had their house burned down due to a Chinese lithium battery ?

do you know anyone personally who has been eaten by a shark?

people have died from dodgy chinese electronics

I'm trying to look into the unknown while you faggots are all: IT'S SAFE, DONT THINK ABOUT IT, TRUST CHINESE BATTERIES, THEY HAVE GOOD SAFETY

your moped won't explode in your garage when nobody is home, and if it did, there's probably nothing that it would incinerate

if your moped explodes when you're out and about, just get off it

>if they're made in china
Good luck finding one that wasn't made in china

thats my point
how can you be sure they are safe

only the soft batteries that every modern device with non removable battery has. those do weird things if they get damaged.

a lithium ion battery is essentially non-functional without the fail safes
force any use on it without a fail safe and you'll get a ballooned battery regardles of how flawless the battery is.

people rarely go mear sharks
everyone has at least one device using a lithium cell
shit analogy

You have more to worry about from MOVs in old power strip UL1449v1 (pre-1996ish) that can burst into flames or UL1449v2 (pre-2009) that can smolder through the plastic housing and ignite what's under it.

Attached: 100_2616_small.jpg (800x366, 42K)

"escalators dont eat people, people ride on escalators all over the world without any danger"

unless you're in china where there's no engineering standards, and where the batteries come from

that shit is made by china amd used by china
if they want a product exported they would have to go through international standards
even cheap-ass smartphones don't fuck around with standards if their primary purpose is to be sold elsewhere

It wasn’t something I actively thought about until pic related happened.

Attached: image.jpg (921x863, 661K)

and you got that after seeing two videos on liveleak
good evidence

Anyone else worried about stoves?

With all the stoves we have, if 1 malfunctions it could burn down your whole house

>tfw a cockroach could enter you ear and eat your brain

Attached: help.png (255x250, 89K)

good thing that i dont have anything like that in the picture. the european models of those are much simpler.

>yfw earwig

Attached: aaaa.jpg (250x215, 6K)

noNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

Attached: hng.jpg (227x245, 9K)

this is totally false, there's loads of crappy chinese made electronics being exported, I had a chinese vacuum cleaner almost catch fire within one week of use

gas stoves dont turn on by themselves, the worst that could happen is you have a gas leak and something sparks, but this is your own negligence

electric ones can possibly fuck up if the wiring is dodgy

Real talk, any horror stories of insects eating the body from the inside™? Asking for a fellow human friend.

as someone that has been around lithium batteries for over a decade due to an interest in RC cars i already have a built in respect for them so i am not really paranoid about them.
i learned my lesson back when i was a kid watching my favourite RC car burn to a crisp because of my lack of care and from then on i only became more cautious with them and have never had an accident since.

>but this is your own negligence
>gas pipe splitting or damaged is always my fault
>battery getting punctured and shorting then blowing up is always the batteries fault

They all use MOVs.

Attached: gw-life-cycle-8-09[1].jpg (1134x831, 549K)

Nice, just what I needed to sleep.

Battery cant catch fire unexpectedly if you make it have a reaction that causes a fire.

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (800x742, 54K)

for both of those things to happen to cause a fire is pure negligence
as stupid as storing petrol near a fireplace

good idea
gonna go stab all my batteries with a pair of scissors

What the fuck is a petrol?

you call it gasoline
we call it petrol, short for petroleum

That still avoidable too.
Just don't buy electronic appliance you'll be safe.

Or maybe don't buy anything at all.

Man I left house today with a cheap chinese powerbank plugged to a charger, I had a little heart attack when I realised that.

>jet fuel can't melt steel beams

wtf am i looking at here

Attached: qwqwqwqwqwqw.jpg (874x642, 102K)

Looks like a chinese government surveillance device

you are retarded. they dont explode so easely, just keep them away from paper or something, kys

>what are circuit breakers

>whats your battery management plan?
I don't own even a single battery-powered device.
Stop hoarding shit you don't need and spare yourself such worries.

>put electronics with lithium batteries in steel filing cabinet
>house doesn't burn down
That was hard.

where do people buy filing cabinets these days?
everyone has gone paperless

something similar happened with a random battery a few months ago that got me thinking

Is this anal beads with us chargers for the worms in your ass?

>everyone has gone paperless
not really

Thats a Gift from intel for loyal goys

I noticed my old phone's battery was expanding, so I removed it and now it's sitting in a sandwich bag. How quickly should I get rid of it? The battery is at least 8 years old.

Don't get shit products and you are fine.

kek

>get a job
this

Attached: service-dog-vs-therapy-dog.png (440x292, 229K)

>Don't get shit products and you are fine.
Daily reminder of what shitty products look like.

Attached: iphone_brianna_olivas.0.jpg (1200x800, 129K)

Man, I wouldn't be casually holding that thing.

I have at least 4 18650s charging at all times in my house even when I'm away, my house burned down only 12 times this year so nothing to worry about really, unless tours a poorfag or a middle-classfag.

>leaky lithium batteries smell like skittles.
Explains a lot.

>Apple: you're holding it wrong