So I want to build a PC

So I want to build a PC.

I am going to use Linux on it (HURR DURR) and I need to know if Intel Core or AMD Ryzen is best for a Linux machine.

Attached: image.php.jpg (650x431, 111K)

linux is a meme

Nice bait

just get a threadripper

both are going to work well under linux
The real issue are the graphics. Intel HD and AMD both work exceptionally well under the default Mesa graphics. Nvidia are assholes according to Linus Torvalds himself.

>le loonex xd

Trust me, I know. Everytime I decide to try the proprietary Nvidia drivers my computer does something weird, like the X server refusing to recognise my screen.

Attached: Linus-Torvalds-Fuck-You-Nvidia.jpg (600x339, 31K)

bump

Nice work adding to the discussion, retards.

Only losers use linux

Both will work fine, just stay away from Nvidia.

Got R5. 1600 here and it works great. Only issue is the support of on board RAID controller. But I am using MD.

t. butthurt neckbeard loonix nerd

If it's not just for muh gaymen then Ryzen is the only right choice.

here is your reply

Only posers use Windows.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1490288067657.png (2000x1334, 127K)

STFU

Thanks Richard

Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linus has said both Intel and Nvidia are garbage. Make of that what you will.

What about AMD?

What are you going to with it? Ryzen, especially the 2nd generation, is a better choice than Intel's current offerings for most use cases, but there are some specialized scenarios where Intel might sense (e.g., a pure gaming rig for gaming on Windoze at 1080p with a high-end GPU).

this

the bait is plentiful today.
there are only 2 manufacturers to choose from (unless you build your own) make an assessment on which one is better for Linux.

Garbage that just werks. AMD is okay two years after a product is release because that's how long it takes their one guy to fix all the bugs.

Anything Intel is far better than AMD crap. If it is good enough for Apple is good enough for you.

>Linux
get a pentium 4

Attached: 1499448212158.gif (445x247, 2.62M)

Even Linus prefers Intel and microsoft, just watch his reviews. Hell on the Wan show he basicly rips amd apart on the regular.

>I'm going to build a car
>I need to know if a Ford or a GM motor is best

the pussyripper

Those bribes must be good.

Both Intel and Nvidia pay him a decent sum, since he's got his finger on the pulse of the newfag market.

Ryzen for pure CPU tasks for sure. Better performance, FOSS software can just be compiled with -march=native to be better optimized for Ryzen, people tend to be more thread aware (both SMT and just core count), and the security is a huge plus. If you're building a machine that needs the integrated graphics (i.e. 2400G or Intel equivalent) I would go Intel as the drivers are more mature on the Intel side, currently. If you plan on doing passthrough I would also recommend Intel so you are guaranteed to use different drivers and you don't need to buy a second card. For any other purpose I would go Ryzen though, but be aware that the 2200G/2400G (Raven Ridge) are still rather unstable even on Linux-4.7.

>What you're referring to as Car, is actually Car+Horn+Air conditioning+Leather seats+Paint job+Windshield+Windshield wipers+Airbags+Seatbelts. These are all vital components and you shouldn't call it just a Car because it marginalizes the rest.

save it for the new cpus terry is releasing soon

You seriousnessly think the guy that made linux is on Microsofts take?

stop talk nerd

whatever you do, do NOT get an nvidia GPU for it

you'll be battling with shit like screen tearing so much you'll want to tear your hair out

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation. Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

werks for me desu

They were talking about Linus Tech Tips, not Linus Torvalds.

Attached: confusion.png (600x512, 298K)