After running Linux for the past 16 years, I decided to install and try Windows for a couple of days...

After running Linux for the past 16 years, I decided to install and try Windows for a couple of days. I was surprised how long the install took compared to basically all of the popular Linux distros and how many times I had to reboot during the process. After I was "finished" after an hour or so, it made it really difficult for me to find the option to not create a cloud based user account, but as an experienced user, I managed to do so, but I still needed to wait a minute and reboot again. When I was finally done with installing it, I was surprised about the lack of drivers for most of my devices and I first had to install network drivers and reboot again to be able to launch Edge and download 3rd party drivers from dubious websites. Software, which btw always had to be downloaded via a web browser, seemed to be distributed via monolithic installer applications, which try to sneak in bloat- and spyware. This felt really awkward. Regarding spyware, I always had the feeling that I was being spied on by the OS itself, eg. via Cortana. which I had to disable first, although I still don't fully trust it. The UI was terribly inconsistent with its design choices and UX workflow and there were tons of ads in the start menu and file browser. After using it for a few hours, it interrupted my work and told me to reboot to install mandatory updates. This was weird, because I had already installed dubious and proprietary 3rd party programs which claimed to stop this process. Lastly, I tried installing some games, which took a bit longer than I expected due to the inferior file system used by Windows. Surprisingly, the performance in Vulkan games was worse compared to Linux. I did not expect this, since I always read about people claiming Windows to be better for games, but this seemed to not be true at all. Overall, installing and using Windows was a truly disappointing experience for me and I am glad to be back to Linux.

Attached: no-windows.png (992x624, 31K)

akarin is best yuru yuri

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

no, Richard

no u

but i'm not a yuru yuri

get a blog

Jow Forums is blog

no u

didn't ask

Attached: 1528240861704.png (1920x1080, 1.46M)

Unironically my experience in Windows, summed up in a high quality pasta.

Attached: 3789BD0D-102E-462F-B27A-D2193D6DEEE9.jpg (320x238, 36K)

Good post. Do you have an RSS feed?

>things that never happened
thanks for the pasta

Did you ever use windows 10?

I have; it's horrible

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, WINDOWS USES YOU!

Did you install the latest installation from the website? Was dated April 2018 and I only had to restart once. Getting rid of the telemetry took 10 seconds.

I'm no windows faggot either, I'm dual booting void linux for work and fun, just need windows for PS and gayming.

>Jow Forums is blog

Attached: 1525733911941.png (512x512, 51K)

No Richard

Attached: 1508146837121.jpg (806x938, 337K)

>Surprisingly, the performance in Vulkan games was worse compared to Linux. I did not expect this, since I always read about people claiming Windows to be better for games, but this seemed to not be true at all.
It is just that games are generally more performant under DirectX. Probably due to better drivers, perhaṕs the underlying api is a bit better as well.

everything that moron said is wrong, and reeks of a tech illiterate retard
if its not bait i would be very surprised that someone could be so daft

>running Windows on a toaster
>expecting swift install

pls step out of the basement

>installing drivers on your own
W10 will install those drivers 4 u, you just have to wait till it asks you for reboot, also generic windows drivers will almost work everytime just fine if you're not using some autistic hw

also
>installing the botnet version
t.brainlet

Mac